Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!

Max Wilco posted:

So when I first read this, I thought they were talking about this Ziggurat, but then I realized that they were talking about an iOS game, so I looked it up and I found a video of the game.

This is the French New Wave answer to AAA games.

But then I hear the narrator mention Action Button. At first, I thought they were talking about the review, but no; this game was developed by Tim Rogers. Action Button published a review of their own game where they call it 'French New Wave action video game fan art' and give it four stars. :psyduck:

"French New Wave action video game fan art" is one reason why gaming will never be considered worthy of serious discussion by anyone worth a drat.

I hate the word "pretentious" because its usually said by idiots about something not at all pretentious but holy gently caress almighty that might have to be the worst term ever ejaculated and I now support Jack Thompson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

Leal posted:

I thought I had this commercial and by extension, the cringe by association, repressed from my memories.

I have done the lord's work here today.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Night Mind on Black Mirror, gets blocked by BS copyright, but at the very least it is available on vimeo for the moment. I enjoyed what he said about Black Mirror and would like to give it a watch. Biggest black mark would have to be the twitter parallel, sorry but I don't see how I am having a moral failing by NOT engaging with abusive nazi motherfuckers. There ain't any conversation to be had there when frankly there is no conversation to be had in the first place. Everything else I did enjoy and didn't seem to be some pretentious luddites piece of "technology is bad we should go the way of the amish." Well, multiple stories I did find enough appeal to want to watch with only one that is so blatantly ignorant of the situation it did not seem like it was made by the same writers, that rounds down to a almost good score.

https://vimeo.com/197363601

Yeah it seems like there's always one goof from the people I enjoy. Noah Cadwell excusing the bullshit "muh multiple timelines the black woman killing yo kids does not have any bad implications" being the other "why, just why would you say that" moment.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Dec 29, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Annointed posted:

Night Mind on Black Mirror, gets blocked by BS copyright, but at the very least it is available on vimeo for the moment. I enjoyed what he said about Black Mirror and would like to give it a watch. Biggest black mark would have to be the twitter parallel, sorry but I don't see how I am having a moral failing by NOT engaging with abusive nazi motherfuckers. There ain't any conversation to be had there when frankly there is no conversation to be had in the first place. Everything else I did enjoy and didn't seem to be some pretentious luddites piece of "technology is bad we should go the way of the amish." Well, multiple stories I did find enough appeal to want to watch with only one that is so blatantly ignorant of the situation it did not seem like it was made by the same writers, that rounds down to a almost good score.

https://vimeo.com/197363601

Yeah it seems like there's always one goof from the people I enjoy. Noah Cadwell excusing the bullshit "muh multiple timelines the black woman killing yo kids does not have any bad implications" being the other "why, just why would you say that" moment.

What did this read before being babelfished?

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

What did this read before being babelfished?

Translations; I like the Night Mind video. I am annoyed at this company using copyright to block the video. I am disappointed with Nick regarding the twitter side story of a Black Mirror episode. I like what I saw and shall watch Black Mirror sometime in the future. Nick is the second person that I like who said a really ignorant thing, Noah Caldwell being the first regarding Bioshock Infinite.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
Here's a fun video by Guru Larry poking fun at Shigeru Miyamoto.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9GpCCZ6NAE

Please before anyone comments on the content of the video can you please tell me what game the music is from during the video's intro because I know it, It's a game know I played a lot and I'm in the loving memory pit and tearing my hair out please help me.

e: WAITWAITWAIT! Is it Street Racer? I think it's Street Racer. Please confirm. I'm gonna watch the rest of the video now.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Wrageowrapper posted:

"French New Wave action video game fan art" is one reason why gaming will never be considered worthy of serious discussion by anyone worth a drat.

uh what

any worthwhile artform has to, at some point, bring unscrutable, unbearably pretentious and ultimately alienating forms of critique with it

as a point of fact, the French New Wave was started by incredibly pretentious movie critics who got into making movies of their own

plus, Ziggurat is a super loving good video game that makes you feel like the conductor of an orchestra of robot death

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Annointed posted:

Biggest black mark would have to be the twitter parallel, sorry but I don't see how I am having a moral failing by NOT engaging with abusive nazi motherfuckers.

Anyone treating Twitter as a platform for Serious Engagement is using Twitter wrong. It is the worst of all possible platforms for that.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

KayTee posted:

Here's a fun video by Guru Larry poking fun at Shigeru Miyamoto.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9GpCCZ6NAE

Please before anyone comments on the content of the video can you please tell me what game the music is from during the video's intro because I know it, It's a game know I played a lot and I'm in the loving memory pit and tearing my hair out please help me.

e: WAITWAITWAIT! Is it Street Racer? I think it's Street Racer. Please confirm. I'm gonna watch the rest of the video now.

All the stuff with Argonaut is total bullshit.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

DoctorWhat posted:

as in messed up or fabricated?

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I would like to know more about that, DoctorWhat.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Jay O posted:

I have done the lord's work here today.

But do you love sushi?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Takoluka posted:

It's mentioned in the comments that the fellow from Argonaut invited Miyamoto to his wedding long after the incident supposedly took place, so there can't really be the bad blood Larry claims.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Dylan Cuthbert has been asked about the chances of StarFox 2 coming out and he said he is on board, but it is down to legal bullshit as to why it has not been released onto the Virtual Console. Argonaut no longer exists and as with any dead company, getting the rights to that poo poo is a legal nightmare. Also the stuff around StarFox Adventures is equally BS for a multitude of reasons.

So yeah, that video is crap. Disappointing, as Larry usually seems to do some pretty good research.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

DoctorWhat posted:

Mokinokaro posted:

It's mentioned in the comments that the fellow from Argonaut invited Miyamoto to his wedding long after the incident supposedly took place, so there can't really be the bad blood Larry claims.

Cubey posted:

So yeah, that video is crap. Disappointing, as Larry usually seems to do some pretty good research.

GODDAMMIT IS THAT MUSIC STREET RACER OR NOT!?!? :argh:

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

It is for the SNES version! Folk probably had some problem finding it as he usually goes for Sega Mega Drive versions.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Takoluka posted:

Fabricated. I can't recall when/where I heard about it but I'd heard the rumor before and it was debunked.

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!

ElNarez posted:

uh what

any worthwhile artform has to, at some point, bring unscrutable, unbearably pretentious and ultimately alienating forms of critique with it

as a point of fact, the French New Wave was started by incredibly pretentious movie critics who got into making movies of their own

plus, Ziggurat is a super loving good video game that makes you feel like the conductor of an orchestra of robot death

I'm not suggesting it isn't a good game but I am saying that term makes it look so.
I'm also fine with games being critiqued by tossers it's just that ideally that critique would be married with gaming and not cinema (or art but that's a whole planet of worms).

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Gamers think any game that contains elements not found in either Mario 3 or Doom II to be unbearably pretentious(whatever that means) so

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

DoctorWhat posted:

Fabricated. I can't recall when/where I heard about it but I'd heard the rumor before and it was debunked.

It's a slow night at work tonight, I'll try tracking it down, but yes, I too remember the claim that Argonaut somehow got ripped off for Mario 64 was bullshit and debunked. Especially when, again, they turned that brilliant idea into Croc.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Tatum Girlparts posted:

this is the hilarious boob dude who's wedding got interrupted so he could check the livestream right

Holy poo poo, I guess the guy also actually went to Japan and got annoyed that the women there weren't all over this American who thinks the only thing Japanese culture has to offer is video games and incest anime?

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

DoctorWhat posted:

I'm 99% sure that it was started by an offhanded comment Chris Kohler made like ten years ago that people spun way out of proportion.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

DoctorWhat posted:

Pretty sure that Miyamoto quote about DKC is a fabricated rumor as well.

LFK
Jan 5, 2013

Leal posted:

I blame game/cinema theory. Speaking of, are they internet critics?

This was my first exposure to Gaijin Goombah and I regret it instantly. So his channel is, like, cultural analysis? Or something? But he's still hung up on "Japan so weird!" like Japanese absurdism isn't intentionally absurd. This was seven minutes of worshipful weebery that I'll never get back.

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

Do not even ask posted:

Pretty sure that Miyamoto quote about DKC is a fabricated rumor as well.

According to his interview with IGN in 2010, it is.

Specifically:
IGN: I was interviewing them earlier, and even though you weren't directly involved you were definitely very inspirational in making sure certain things were done in that game correctly. I'm wondering, which parts of Donkey Kong Country did you like versus not like? And what did you address with them?

Miyamoto: The first point that I want to make is that I actually worked very closely with Rare on the original Donkey Kong Country. And apparently recently some rumor got out that I didn't really like that game? I just want to clarify that that's not the case, because I was very involved in that. And even emailing almost daily with Tim Stamper right up until the end.

full interview - http://www.ign.com/articles/2010/06/17/e3-2010-shigeru-miyamoto-likes-donkey-kong-country-after-all?page=3

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

While we're on the subject of phony Nintendo rumors, it's total BS that they didn't bring over the Japanese SMB2 because they thought Americans couldn't handle it. That may have been part of it, but it probably had more to do with SMB2 being a sub-par product that didn't really add anything to the series, combined with Doki Doki Panic being a better game but used Japanese mascots as characters.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yeah I don't get why people are so hung up on Mario the lost levels. They're just challenge runs but I'd hardly call any of them memorable to the franchise. They're more difficult than fun, but then there is the weird but alarmingly big subset of Mario fans who are sadomasochistic nuts who enjoy playing and designing punishingly hard levels. Mario maker is pretty much a torture device

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
Kaizo was a mistake.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Playstation 4 posted:

Kaizo was a mistake.

Not emptyquoting this because no joke this is so true. Kaizo is not fun it's just tedious pain distilled in multiple game levels. There is no skill to be had here, only repetitive tedium to constantly perform pixel perfect jumps and memorizing the layout of the maps to scrounge up some form of victory. Kaizo is a lesson of what not to do when designing difficult platformers, or platformers in general.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Kay Kessler posted:

While we're on the subject of phony Nintendo rumors, it's total BS that they didn't bring over the Japanese SMB2 because they thought Americans couldn't handle it. That may have been part of it, but it probably had more to do with SMB2 being a sub-par product that didn't really add anything to the series, combined with Doki Doki Panic being a better game but used Japanese mascots as characters.

It was not brought over because of an American guy playing the game and literally saying 'this is too hard', so uh

I mean it's not a very good game and what we got instead of it was better, but still.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

In tribute to the late Carrie Fisher, I reviewed her first novel, Postcards from the Edge.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

END ME SCOOB posted:

It's a slow night at work tonight, I'll try tracking it down, but yes, I too remember the claim that Argonaut somehow got ripped off for Mario 64 was bullshit and debunked. Especially when, again, they turned that brilliant idea into Croc.

hey croc rules motherfucker

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Man, I'm a lot kinder to Croc than most (I still think it's a shame what happened to 2's rushed release), but that game is definitely not a lost classic and thinking the dudes behind that got their fame stolen by Shiggy is just buying into a sore loser's hype. The only sources I could find for this whole thing came from... one ex-Argonaut dude! Talking up his own code. Hmm. I wonder.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
I haven't played croc since it was new but I remember enjoying it, thus croc rules, discussion over

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Nah, realtalk: Croc 2 was a good game from a crumbling company that is clearly unfinished and deserved better. If you ever want to revisit those games, only play that one, because it fixed the terrible controls of Croc 1 and tried being its own thing on a shoestring budget.

Platforming on tank controls is kind of a nightmare, and that's what damns Croc. Especially under loving water.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Cubey posted:

It was not brought over because of an American guy playing the game and literally saying 'this is too hard', so uh

I mean it's not a very good game and what we got instead of it was better, but still.

A bit from column A, a bit from column B. By the time the NES was getting released, the FDS was starting to get swamped with really bad titles so they were a bit queasy on having a sequel that was just an expansion pack with more dickish levels. Also it was a way for the Doki Doki Panic to be around once the event was over since nowadays the only way to play that is thru emulation or hunting down the remaining disks. Plus, SMB USA is far more enjoyable than DDP just from not having to play the game 4 times to finish it.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Another big part IIRC was the graphics. By the time The Lost Levels would've made it to Western shores a lot of games with nicer graphics had come out.

I believe this is also why Final Fantasy 2 and 3 were originally skipped and we jumped to 4 on SNES.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

All Frogs posted:

According to his interview with IGN in 2010, it is.

Specifically:
IGN: I was interviewing them earlier, and even though you weren't directly involved you were definitely very inspirational in making sure certain things were done in that game correctly. I'm wondering, which parts of Donkey Kong Country did you like versus not like? And what did you address with them?

Miyamoto: The first point that I want to make is that I actually worked very closely with Rare on the original Donkey Kong Country. And apparently recently some rumor got out that I didn't really like that game? I just want to clarify that that's not the case, because I was very involved in that. And even emailing almost daily with Tim Stamper right up until the end.

full interview - http://www.ign.com/articles/2010/06/17/e3-2010-shigeru-miyamoto-likes-donkey-kong-country-after-all?page=3

iirc what really happened was that Nintendo wanted Yoshi's Island to have DKC-style prerendered graphics, and Miyamoto adamantly opposed that idea and fought for the crayon drawing style that ended up in the final game. I guess it got warped into him hating DKC at some point?

Augus fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Dec 30, 2016

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

DKC 1-3 are ugly as poo poo and Yoshi's Island is the prettiest game on the system, so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

Augus posted:

iirc what really happened was that Nintendo wanted Yoshi's Island to have DKC-style prerendered graphics, and Miyamoto adamantly opposed that idea and fought for the crayon drawing style that ended up in the final game. I guess it got warped into Amiya too hating DKC at some point

That's probably what happened. The famous quote that gets paired with the story is either completely made up or from some obscure issue of Electronic Games magazine from '95, based on a Google search I did earlier. I couldn't find any solid on it though.

• Locked thread