Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Another nation that I like thematically despite having glaring weaknesses is EA R'yleh (I've loved Aboleths since discovering them in 2E D&D Monster Manual). What are some tips to playing them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

SirPhoebos posted:

Another nation that I like thematically despite having glaring weaknesses is EA R'yleh (I've loved Aboleths since discovering them in 2E D&D Monster Manual). What are some tips to playing them?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Did you ask other people to contribute to your evil caper or just get lucky with Death/Luck/Magic events?

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

those air paths are also important. if the BoT doesn't make em rage quit, the foul air just might

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

those air paths are also important. if the BoT doesn't make em rage quit, the foul air just might

Also when I do the attack->search repeat for a long time dance with him (which he starts turn one. after his first death i give him the gear he's wearing in that screenshot) he finds A so at some point a fish can be empowered to A1 and make fish amulets forever.

Trade for D, search D, alch D do whatever you can to get those 70D to be ready for thau 5. The faster you can make everyone bankrupt like you should be, the better. Rlyeh can't compete on a level playing field so you basically have to just scream incoherently and flip the board to even have a chance.

Rotekian
Jan 1, 2013
Sadly even turn 14 BoT isn't enough to win the game. Although if everyone rage quits no one will be able to test this, so it is always worth a try.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
If everyone rage quits you've won.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
That would need a game without elves.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
*tokes on weed blunt* an elf nation with no money is just a normal nation, with no money

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.
I didnt find it in the OP, but has AwesomeGods, AwesomeEndgame or forbidden friendship been updated for Dom 4 yet?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
yeah ut's called picking xibalba/pan

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

jBrereton posted:

*tokes on weed blunt* an elf nation with no money is just a normal nation, with no money

I loved Seo - luck/turmoil scales and insane bless with the ability to summon tartarians, make them commanders and somehow have gift of health up. I pretty much got incapacitated by a concussion and stopped playing - also someone had an insanely dangerous undead killing thug that I was losing to at the time?

Regardless. Best game I've had so far. I was actually doing ok. Man I love fomoria

Barono
May 6, 2007

Rich in irony and most satirical
Alright, it's almost a new year, and we all know you're going to do some stupid things. You should just acknowledge that and join

:siren:Grandpa's Closet Reloaded:siren:

We did a Grandpa's Closet game several years ago, and it wasn't exactly a huge success. I hope to have learned from my mistakes and can engineer better game settings.

This is going to be an all ages huge game on a ~1200 province map, featuring D&D's World of Greyhawk in MS Paint glory. There may be an adventure map available with defined sites, but we won't be using that. download here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dr0am57xne2xv8n/OeridiaDom4.zip?dl=0

We're either going to play with thrones, or accumulating VPs. It turns out you can't use thrones as VP generators which is totally lame since thrones are cool, I'm not sure which yet. I would like it if the game actually ended, accumulating VP would help with that.

This will be a disciples game with 4 person teams. 3 normal team members, and one Extra Special Aqua Friend! (nations that start underwater are aquafriends). Normal team members can not be aquatic. Please do not go AI without consulting your team mates first, and please try to be available in irc.

No ermor/lemuria/other pop kill nations. If you want to run one with recruitment like LA R'lyeh or Asphodel as a disciple that will probably be OK.

We'll be playing with the JBBM or something like that TBD. I'll probably take out Burden of Time and Astral Corruption since on a big game some rude dude is going to rush it and that poo poo is obnoxious. Arcane Nexus is also likely out as it is silly in big games.
Link to post here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3568182&userid=201009&perpage=40&pagenumber=31#post467504774

I haven't made the game or created signups yet, and I'll probably wait a couple days for feedback, as most of this is up for debate and I've probably missed some stuff. Talk amongst yourselves and find team mates though!

Barono fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jan 1, 2017

Applebee123
Oct 9, 2007

That's 10$ for the spinefund.

SirPhoebos posted:

The usual water nation tactics apply, namely conquer the sea, then scout around on land until you find someone you are bordering who is losing a war and invade them and take their land provinces, you don't want to try and 1v1 a land nation on land. Get a pretender who can create amulets of the fish to get your mages on land.

In terms of strengths you have:
1) 50 Morale reasonable hp units in lobo guards and shambler thralls, the lobo guards have a better gold:hp ratio, but the thralls are better against massed evocations as they are bigger and hence the evocations will hit fewer of them, you also need fewer commanders for them. These units will fight to the last unit, giving you plenty of time to spam spells from behind them.
2) 100 precision, 100 range mind blasters, good for small-medium numbers of units, so long as they dont have very high magic resistance.
3) You can get very high access to water and astral. Your mind lords get natural astral 4 and water 4, you can use mind vessel to get extra astral 3/4 mages. An androdai with S4 from mind vessel, plus a crystal coin and a starshine skullcap is up to S6, then cast power of the spheres and light of the northern star and they are up to S8. This is before getting into communions. That lone androdai can drop out the sky by itself and cast master enslave on an entire army, or two or three at the same time could, with some magic penetration items equipped as well.
4) Communions, all your mages can join communions, even ordinary slave mages with power of the spheres, light of the northern star, and 4 communion slaves are W5/S5 casters (thats ignoring their bonus paths too). Your slave mages can use their earth/nature to give the communion earthpower and relief for reinvigoration as well as casting personnel regeneration.

In terms of spells to cast Falling frost deals 17+ damage to a 5+ aoe of squares, the + means one extra damage/aoe for each level above the casting requirement. The fatigue cost is also reduced for each level over the casting cost. Cast falling frost on large masses of troops.

Frozen heart does 10++ armor negating 100 precision damage to one target cast this on small numbers of elite troops.

With the astral levels you can get you do unlimited stellar cascades spam, this works as an alternative to falling frost for large armies if your enemy has cold resistance or very high protection. You can use soul slay/enslave mind as an alternative for elite troops if they have high cold resistance.

In terms of late game, you have high astral for Master enslave / Arcane Nexus / Wish and high water for Niefel flames and Living water. If you get this far I'd recommend mixing it up between master enslave/niefel flames/living water all three can be devastating with high astral/water mages. Use teleport so that your opponent never knows whether a master enslave communion, 40 full size water elementals, or several casts of 25+ aoe armor negating damage will drop out of the sky onto their army.

Its also worth noting that with power of the spheres combined with communions your earth/death/nature random mages can actually get up to E4/D4/N4 or higher without too much trouble. If there is a spell in one of those paths that counters what your opponent is doing you can use it, you can also make sure to cast all the E/D/N battlefield enchantments that benefit you. When you start diversifying into fire/air/blood you can forge crystal matrixes to help boost whatever mages you can get in those paths.

Applebee123 fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jan 1, 2017

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
How do I expand with MA Nazca without using Earth Snake? I've been trying out all their units, and it feels like none of them can expand worth a drat, unless it's a bless strategy.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Eeepies posted:

How do I expand with MA Nazca without using Earth Snake? I've been trying out all their units, and it feels like none of them can expand worth a drat, unless it's a bless strategy.

recruit an apu, suicide the apu . use the skeleton card to capture slaves until you have 80 slaves. attack indies with 80 slaves until you get a mountain. make paco of the mountain or whatever the a1 mage is. research phantasmal warrior. script phantasmal warriorx5+spells on 5 pacos

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

violent sex idiot posted:

recruit an apu, suicide the apu . use the skeleton card to capture slaves until you have 80 slaves. attack indies with 80 slaves until you get a mountain. make paco of the mountain or whatever the a1 mage is. research phantasmal warrior. script phantasmal warriorx5+spells on 5 pacos

Alternatively mass ranged trash and selectively hit low prot indies/vastly smaller groups with it.

Use snek or w/e to clear hard to clear stuff.

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch
What new memes have the meta created in the last few months?

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

Samog posted:

Announcing a new game, Beyond Measure

The gimmick is that firebirds are a generic summon and (through the magic of duplicate spells) can be summoned with 1 level in any path except blood. Early age, 12 players.

Please actually make sure the password you submit for the game on brainwrinkle matches the password you are using for your pretender!! It is really awful when someone disappears and their password is bad

edit: by popular request firebirds are going to be amphibious and summonable under water

I have hand-crafted an incredibly detailed mod for this game and that Samog should definitely use instead of his weak sauce low effort mod.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009
There's something incredibly satisfying about doing the traditional sneaky elf tactic of stabbing someone in the back with a bunch of glamored troops and taking half his provinces while he's busy invading some poor sod.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Baudin posted:

There's something incredibly satisfying about doing the traditional sneaky elf tactic of stabbing someone in the back with a bunch of glamored troops and taking half his provinces while he's busy invading some poor sod.

Only half?

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Look I'm not that good at Dom4 ok

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Abysia is really weird sometimes. I won this.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Are you the one with the little red weasels, or the one with all the horseys?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

Are you the one with the little red weasels, or the one with all the horseys?

Red weasels, which are salamanders. He probably lost a shitton of them/all of them to that cav.

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
what if salamanders were free but you could only make one per month per fort

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Samog posted:

what if salamanders were free but you could only make one per month per fort

Then they would be really really good instead of a boondoggle.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

make the salamanders cost the same but make them commanders, imo

have them drive herds of abysians into battle

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Then they would be really really good instead of a boondoggle.

good.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

Make them the de facto leaders of the late age nation.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

I mean you could gift of reason them...

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

What's a good research path for ea Tien Chi? Flaming arrows looks good with all my archers but the default mages look like they don't have enough fire to cast it.

VendoViper
Feb 8, 2011

Can't touch this.

Tagichatn posted:

What's a good research path for ea Tien Chi? Flaming arrows looks good with all my archers but the default mages look like they don't have enough fire to cast it.

Looks like your Celestial Masters, and Masters of the Five Elements are both at best F2. If you have F4 on your pretender you can forge Flame Helmets for them, and then get them to F3, then it should only cost you 2 fire gems per battle to cast Flaming Arrows. At F3 I think a mage can eat up to 3 gems, one for the under level, and one for the spell cost, where-as at F2 you would hit your limit of 2 gems just for getting to effective rank 4. At least that is how I think that stuff works.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Have any F2 cast Phoenix power. They are now F3 and you can spend a extra gem (like Legends of the Hidden Temple) to raise your F temporarily to 4 and spend another gem to cast Flaming Arrows. It will cost 2 or 3 gems so have a scout hold onto the extras you will need to replenish with.

You can only spend as many gems as you have path though. So you couldn't have an E2, cast earth power, spend a gem and then 4 more quake.

VendoViper
Feb 8, 2011

Can't touch this.
Oh yeah, summon phoenix power, Conjuration, forgot about that.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
you are only allowed to spend one gem to make your effective wizardlyness higher, as well as only allowed per turn to use as many gems as your level of that path

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
You also can't do this with blood slaves

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Can you mix & match blood communion with astral communion in the same fight? As in, blood guys cast the blood slave thing, astral guys cast astral slave thing, and then any master is a master of all the slaves of both types?

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

yeah, there's just one communion per side per battle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Awesome, thanks for the tips!

• Locked thread