Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Am I missing something? If I check that sausage game from Steamcharts, it tells me pretty much that nobody in the world is playing the game.
http://steamcharts.com/app/353540

It does have 173 Steam reviews though (172 of which are positive). Which sounds like a lot. So, eh, everyone who buys the game writes a review?
If nobody buys the game, shouldn't they just suck it up and price it at 9.95 and see people actually playing the game?
These numbers just make little sense to me. I just learned about this Steamcharts site today and I've been browsing player numbers from games that I've played or bought, and sometimes the numbers seem too low for my logic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"

Gaghskull posted:

To my knowledge, the alien doesn't give a poo poo about smoke. You will only ever have a few items that can actually deter the thing. Noisemakers are both great, and awful. Because it will interrupt his patrolling and that can be both good, and then awful as he becomes less predictable.

When you do get pipe bombs/molotovs, do be careful at throwing them at the thing. You will only ever have one shot at it when he's running at you. I still don't know if it was just me, but whenever I did hit him with one of those, it seemed to make it goddamn angry. It came back to the spot I chucked items at with a vengeance once it retreated back into the vents momentarily.

Oh for sure, I agree with the smoke, I just thought he would sense or react to me tossing the bomb and the sounds it made when it landed on the floor directly underneath him. But no, nothing. So I just waited until the drooling disappeared and walked to the next computer to log into. Molotovs and flame throwers sounds great, looking forward to that.

Downs Duck fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Dec 29, 2016

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

MMF Freeway posted:

Some indie devs who makes games that appeal to a very small niche tend to price their games at a bit of a premium. Its an outdated mindset imo, but hey whatever works for them.

his previous game (English Country Tune) was incredibly cheap. I guess he's trying something different this time around.

I just played some ECT. They're very similar in terms of puzzle mechanics. It's a good game but yeah my brain isn't good enough at navigating space puzzles to justify paying for the sausage roll.

e: posting a cart list to see if there are any games people have thoughts about

ASDAD: All-Stars Dungeons and Diamonds
The Floor is Jelly
Twilight Struggle
Tormentum - Dark Sorrow
Pinball FX2 - Portal ®
GAMES by Anatoliy Loginovskikh - Includes 3 items: The Last Error, The Magical Silence, The Big Elk
KNIGHTS
Immortal Defense
The Fall of the Dungeon Guardians

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Dec 29, 2016

Zaphiel
Apr 20, 2006

Fun Shoe

Jordan7hm posted:

his previous game (English Country Tune) was incredibly cheap. I guess he's trying something different this time around.

I just played some ECT. They're very similar in terms of puzzle mechanics. It's a good game but yeah my brain isn't good enough at navigating space puzzles to justify paying for the sausage roll.

The Floor is Jelly
Twilight Struggle
Tormentum - Dark Sorrow
Pinball FX2 - Portal ®
GAMES by Anatoliy Loginovskikh - Includes 3 items: The Last Error, The Magical Silence, The Big Elk
KNIGHTS
Immortal Defense

Some thoughts on Tormentum - Dark Sorrow. TL;DR, the gameplay is dead simple, more akin to a hidden object adventure game, the story is eh, but the graphics make up for all, if you're into them.

The Floor is Jelly is a fun little platformer. It's been a while since I played it, but it was fun to bounce around the levels, but for 2.50 you can't go wrong.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Bolivar posted:

Am I missing something? If I check that sausage game from Steamcharts, it tells me pretty much that nobody in the world is playing the game.
http://steamcharts.com/app/353540

It does have 173 Steam reviews though (172 of which are positive). Which sounds like a lot. So, eh, everyone who buys the game writes a review?
If nobody buys the game, shouldn't they just suck it up and price it at 9.95 and see people actually playing the game?
These numbers just make little sense to me. I just learned about this Steamcharts site today and I've been browsing player numbers from games that I've played or bought, and sometimes the numbers seem too low for my logic.

Despite its currently low numbers, Steamspy shows 6,624 ± 2,157 players in total so I wouldn't say that nobody bought it.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
I dunno how intentional it is but you can get borderlands the presequal for like 4 bucks right now by buying it through a "bundle" if you already own the previous borderlands. It's like 12 if you wanna buy it individually.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

So I started playing Endless Legend. It's pretty good. Also I will stop playing it. Because I'm starting to develop the same kind of crack-addiction like with Civ V. No thanks ma'am. :shepicide:

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Bought Tharsis for £1.86 cause someone picked it in their best 2016 list, but good grief it's basically impossible even on normal difficulty. Done about 5 playthroughs now and not got any further than 6 or 7 turns, the minute you get one set of bad dice rolls you're immediately hosed with no way of fighting back.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
People were generally pretty lukewarm on Wolfenstein: The Old Blood, right?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

PantsBandit posted:

It's fine gameplay wise but lacks the atmosphere and storytelling that really cements New Order.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

PantsBandit posted:

It's Wolfenstein with a more overt B-Movie feel to it. If you want more Wolfenstein it's great.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Mokinokaro posted:

It's fine gameplay wise but lacks the atmosphere and storytelling that really cements New Order.

I'll agree with the storytelling, but the atmosphere really harkens back to RTCW, which I appreciated.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Cool, as long as I can still gib nazis I'm down. Thanks guys.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Jordan7hm posted:

The Floor is Jelly
Twilight Struggle
Tormentum - Dark Sorrow
Pinball FX2 - Portal ®
KNIGHTS
Immortal Defense

KNIGHTS feels frustratingly simple as a puzzle game - you always put the knights in their spots and sort out the stragglers. Pass unless you want a simple puzzler.

Immortal Defense meanwhile is my favorite tower defense and 100% worth it. Story's great, gameplay is fun, the medal challenges are fun (except for Love 3 but I'll crack it eventually.) Please treat yourself to it!

I admit part of the appeal of ID's gameplay is how you have to be involved - you set towers, and sometimes it's hands off but most of the time you have to guide bullets or wreck enemies yourself.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Girlfriend gave me a $20 steam card so I picked up ABZU, Oceanhorn, LISA, and Dawn of Discovery. :) I've only played ABZU so far and it's chill as hell, how are my other picks? I know goons love LISA for the most part. How's Oceanhorn?

e. vvv I bought them each separately in case I wanted to refund anything. Hopefully I like it!

Fun Times! fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Dec 29, 2016

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Fun Times! posted:

Girlfriend gave me a $20 steam card so I picked up ABZU, Oceanhorn, LISA, and Dawn of Discovery. :) I've only played ABZU so far and it's chill as hell, how are my other picks? I know goons love LISA for the most part. How's Oceanhorn?

I did not like Oceanhorn from what I played of it. It felt like a clunky Zelda that controlled poorly. Others like it though.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Fun Times! posted:

e. vvv I bought them each separately in case I wanted to refund anything. Hopefully I like it!

Dawn of Discovery (Anno 1404) is probably the best in the Anno series and super chill and good.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

MMF Freeway posted:

Some indie devs who makes games that appeal to a very small niche tend to price their games at a bit of a premium. Its an outdated mindset imo, but hey whatever works for them.

I haven't played Sausage Roll but it doesn't look that niche. I mean the core mechanics look pretty straightforward, it seems like one of those "easy to learn, difficult to master" kind of games. It's not like it's some kind of grognard tabletop simulator. Is he just trying to game the system and get disproportionately positive reviews? (assuming anyone willing to pay a high price for a product will be more invested in defending the positive aspects of that product (see also: console warriors))

Sivek posted:

I did not like Oceanhorn from what I played of it. It felt like a clunky Zelda that controlled poorly. Others like it though.

Isn't that a mobile port?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Isn't that a mobile port?
I think so. I wouldn't say it was good or bad, just sort of there.

I played two hours and I think it was just getting out of bed on actually telling me the story I'm supposed to give a poo poo about when I stopped bothering.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
While I didn't care for Dawn Of Discovery (simply didn't click) I can tell it's a really good game.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

Julio Cruz posted:

Bought Tharsis for £1.86 cause someone picked it in their best 2016 list, but good grief it's basically impossible even on normal difficulty. Done about 5 playthroughs now and not got any further than 6 or 7 turns, the minute you get one set of bad dice rolls you're immediately hosed with no way of fighting back.

yeah Tharsis reminds me of Gods will be Watching in that both games rely on randomization that ultimately undermine the player choices. Tharsis can be fun, but in my experience, it was just impossible and the goal of beating the game seemed unobtainable or something you almost dont shoot for but rather just deal with different situations. but still die.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Trill Sandwich posted:

On that note, Last Fight is also really good, though it seems like no one has ever heard of it. It's essentially just a pretty Power Stone port, but that's what makes it great.

So I've now learned that Steam search has randomly started parsing spaces where it didn't before. The game is actually called LASTFIGHT and searching for Last Fight like you'd normally do brought up bupkis.

It did, however, also reveal that at some point they made Dead or Alive 5 Last Round into one of those split F2P/buy-in games ala Killer Instinct. Huh.

strategery posted:

So apparently Gamestop's online store has Wasteland 2 for 5 bucks. Just fyi.

The boxed version, not digital. I mean, I guess it probably just comes with a Steam key and presumably you still get the Director's Cut version from that, but...

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Yeah, I didn't like Tharsis either due to the dice hazards that could make half of the die faces unsafe... in the module that provides assists. :v:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Asking for a friend: Cities Skylines, yea or nay?

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?

StrixNebulosa posted:

If you like city builders, yea!

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

StrixNebulosa posted:

It's a really good city sim with a focus on traffic management which means road layouts are important for bigger cities or they'll act like clogged arteries. Good fun.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

StrixNebulosa posted:

I have a copy of Skylines that I'd trade for something off my wishlist if you can help a goon out

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

I have a copy of Skylines that I'd trade for something off my wishlist if you can help a goon out

Is it the deluxe version or just the base game?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Gameko posted:

I, too, am looking for some anime games goons. I'd like some action games or ARPGs, not so much puzzle games, turn-based RPGs, or visual novels.

The last anime game I played was Tales of Vesperia, which I quite liked up until the part where you beat the big bad then are expected to spend tons of time directionlessly backtracking until the plot picks up again. I've also played Valkyria Chronicles and it was OK but I didn't like the way the mission ratings were based on time only.

Based on many recommendations in this thread, I think I'll pick up Rabi-Ribi. Copy Kitty looks cool too, though I haven't seen many people recommend it. Can you point me at any others? I'm getting desperate enough for a good anime action game that I'm even considering something from the Senran Kagura series. I hope goons can save me from this fate. Should I play a different Tales game? Maybe one of the Hyperdimension games?

Neptunia V-II and Fairy Fencer F are both really solid and fun games from a company that normally makes garbage.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

StrixNebulosa posted:

Is it the deluxe version or just the base game?

Just base game. All the deluxe version adds is 5 IRL buildings

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
I'm awfully tempted to pick up Death road to Canada...
I heard the huge waves of samey zombies could get monotonous, is that true? I wouldn't mind it too much given enough weapon\evasion opportunities

Vvvvvv
About sorcery... I just got to the end of the first act despite being robbed of everything right out of the gate.
I started the second act miserable and penniless. gently caress that. My policy now is that if an event throws you under the bus don't hesitate to rewind.

Tafferling fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Dec 30, 2016

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I'm going to shill for another cool game to bet I played (and still play) - Sorcery and Sorcery 2. I haven't gotten 3 and 4 yet but those first two ones own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-6Fk-2rIvc&t=30s

-They're basically a digital version of a 'choose your own adventure' book.
-They have persistent inventory that is carried over to the sequels.
-They feature a cool spell system where you spell out words in order to cast them.
-The writing is good and there are tons of different routes you can take throughout the map.
-The second part features a system where you can finish it multiple times choosing different things each time (if you want to) while this fact being weaved into the story (you carry over your inventory too).
-There's also an interesting combat system where you can sense the enemies' attacks from how the fight is being described.
-I also like the illustration style in this game.

Overall it's a really chill enjoyable game where you can take all the time you want to make your decisions.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
Same, Sorcery 1&2 actually surprised me with how good they were. I just got the other 2 recently and I'm really looking forward to finishing

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Ohhhh I thought there was a weird game named 'sorcery & sorcery 2.'

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Thinking about doing this batch. Any of these terribad (including the controller)?
Also looking at "The Turing Test" but it sounds pretty short.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

The controller is really controversial you will either love it or hate it. The Steam link reportedly sucks on wifi so make sure you can plug it in to ethernet. Other than that you've made good choices.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Could I play Shenzhen IO if I'm too stupid for TIS-100? It looks more user friendly, but I assume the puzzles ramp up in difficulty pretty quick.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

OAquinas posted:

Thinking about doing this batch. Any of these terribad (including the controller)?
Also looking at "The Turing Test" but it sounds pretty short.

Talos Principle and the Dishonored DLC are excellent. There's no world in which you should pay more for The Turing Test than for Talos; if you want more 3D puzzling get the Road to Gehenna DLC for Talos at the same time.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Talos has absolutely fantastic writing and setting but I found its puzzles really boring. The worst part is there's zero reason to do the "star" puzzles unless you can power through all of them because there's no partial rewards.

That said, everything else about it was so good that I'd still pay that price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK

Fun Times! posted:

I bought ocean horn on ps4 when it came out. I was so excited that it looks like a zelda clone. Sadly the puzzles aren't hard , the combat isn't complex at all. And by the time I reached the magic abilitys I lost interest.

• Locked thread