Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

smoke sumthin bitch posted:

the fact that global warming would greatly increase our food production potential

I see this posited from time to time, but is there any real science to support this idea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Salt Fish posted:

Major temperature increases across the world is 100% compatible with land temperatures falling.
Can you expand on this? I'm not sure exactly what you're getting at? My objection to Conspiratiorist's post was him seemingly ignoring that the same period where you'd see these ice sheets melting would see great increases in global temperatures too. I don't deny that in some regions this might not be enough to offset other effects that cause a regional drop in temperature, but as far as I can tell the region is actually getting warmer at the moment, so a drop in temperatures following a shut down of the Gulf Stream would see a drop from a higher level. Or is your argument that the increase in temperature we see presently is driven by the Gulf Stream pumping heat into the region, thus the eventual drop just grows larger as temperatures increase?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

NewForumSoftware posted:

I see this posited from time to time, but is there any real science to support this idea?

It follows from the idea that more carbon in the atmosphere increases the rate of photosynthesis. While this is true for C3 plants and it can increase the biomass production of such cultivars, it is also true for weeds, which would have a detrimental effect, and it of course completely ignores that while crops enjoy carbon, they are negatively affected by higher temperatures in many ways that either reduce yields or affect the logistics of their management.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

If climate change is a good thing, is it a moral imperative to pump as much GHG as possible into the atmosphere? If so, you could say the oil companies are the most moral companies of all...

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

If climate change is a good thing, is it a moral imperative to pump as much GHG as possible into the atmosphere? If so, you could say the oil companies are the most moral companies of all...
Only if they believe that to be true.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

Deadulus posted:

How are you supposed to read these graphs?

The colored lines above are the previous years and the black line is the current year. But, what is the colored shaded portions on the current year? Is that range projections using what happened in previous years?

Projections based on select previous years, yes. The outermost are basically doubling of those as compared to the range of my projected (yellow) growth for the month of December. 2007 was higher, while the other years noted on the side were lower. You'll probably see where I got some of these ranges by looking at the tick marks for other years on the side.

So, basically this, based on historical trends:

Nevvy Z posted:

A different similar graph had those. I think these are likley ranges of final result, with the outer being very unlikely and the middle being more likely.

Arctic sea ice area as of the 28th of December:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Evil_Greven fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Dec 29, 2016

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Can you expand on this? I'm not sure exactly what you're getting at? My objection to Conspiratiorist's post was him seemingly ignoring that the same period where you'd see these ice sheets melting would see great increases in global temperatures too. I don't deny that in some regions this might not be enough to offset other effects that cause a regional drop in temperature, but as far as I can tell the region is actually getting warmer at the moment, so a drop in temperatures following a shut down of the Gulf Stream would see a drop from a higher level. Or is your argument that the increase in temperature we see presently is driven by the Gulf Stream pumping heat into the region, thus the eventual drop just grows larger as temperatures increase?

Tell me more about the map that you made because I read through the study you linked and it left me with overall more questions about what you've been posting in this thread.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Salt Fish posted:

Tell me more about the map that you made because I read through the study you linked and it left me with overall more questions about what you've been posting in this thread.
Look, I'm just a man who tries to see the best in every bad situation. Glad I've made you think though, it's always good to reexamine our beliefs.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Look, I'm just a man who tries to see the best in every bad situation. Glad I've made you think though, it's always good to reexamine our beliefs.

Most typically you would try to see the best parts of reality rather than inventing a new reality which has more better parts.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

NewForumSoftware posted:

It's garbage. CO2 isn't remotely limiting for most plants. Higher temperature and reduced water availability will gently caress everything up.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Salt Fish posted:

Most typically you would try to see the best parts of reality rather than inventing a new reality which has more better parts.
It's the future, none of it is real yet.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

NewForumSoftware posted:

dudes been probated for 23% of his posts in this thread

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

NewForumSoftware posted:

The only people that believe that's true are people that believe that human beings are fundamentally disconnected from the ecology of this planet because we lucked out by having big effective brains. Everyone else knows it's nonsense and realizes that ecologies are delicate and take millennia of time to adjust gradually.

This is why the sudden interest from my shitbird right wing friends in the whole idea of reflecting solar output using aerosols sprayed in the stratosphere is so drat scary. Yeah sure, lets fundamentally turn down the watts per square meter delivered by solar output on the surface of the Earth, this will totally not have any negative externalities when it comes to C3 and C4 photosynthesis, which totally doesn't underpin the entire chain of life on this planet.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax
Even if the permafrost melted and we were left over with a stable environment with the right temperature, would the soil/swamp there even support farming as we know it? I was under the impression that the soil quality is so poo poo up north that even if temperatures were correct we couldn't grow anything anyways.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005
Considering most permafrost areas, I think most of them actually, are in places on this planet with very thin layers of topsoil, I would say no. Plus, you're never going to have anything approaching a pleasant temperature after all that methane gassing.

We would be so very hosed.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

NewForumSoftware posted:

Even if the permafrost melted and we were left over with a stable environment with the right temperature, would the soil/swamp there even support farming as we know it? I was under the impression that the soil quality is so poo poo up north that even if temperatures were correct we couldn't grow anything anyways.
Canada and Norway might see 30% increased agricultural productivity!

Please ignore India, and many other populous countries near the tropics losing a similar or greater percentage of agricultural productivity.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
2016 is barely clinging to the lowest Arctic sea ice extent record... one day left.

Area is another story... will be interesting to see if it stays on the edge or drifts into the yellow (average December growth) or green (2007 growth or higher):

e: Turns out this is the final graph. Extent/Area were basically static for the last day of the year. Just barely in the yellow.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Evil_Greven fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jan 1, 2017

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It's the future, none of it is real yet.

That doesn't excuse posting Climate Change Fan Fiction.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

A Buttery Pastry posted:

You've confirmed my belief that we all deserve this so much.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Buttery Pastry, would you be interested in sharing your FAMOUS config + job?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Potato Salad posted:

Buttery Pastry, would you be interested in sharing your FAMOUS config + job?
My config??

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
Things are looking up for the New Year!

https://twitter.com/alaskawx/status/815602011345276928

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Random terrified question: is it unthinkable that runaway global warming in fact goes so far off the rails that something might happen like has happened on Venus? Or is that not quite on the menu yet?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Shibawanko posted:

Random terrified question: is it unthinkable that runaway global warming in fact goes so far off the rails that something might happen like has happened on Venus? Or is that not quite on the menu yet?

All of the fossil fuels we're burning were already in the air at one point, so no, that is not a realistic concern.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Salt Fish posted:

All of the fossil fuels we're burning were already in the air at one point, so no, that is not a realistic concern.

Wouldn't combustibles from jet fuel and methane cooking off and a lot of reflective snow/ice just not being there any more be problematic?

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
The most tragic thing with the +16 degrees rainforest utopia previously posted by or pastry Dane is that we can't have giant insects or dinosaurs :smith:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/12/161230185406.htm

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
And even minor temperature changes mean evil buggy bugs like bark beetles and malaria will creep up and destroy places you wouldn't think of.

The trees will die (faster than they already are) and give up soil and leave a place pretty desolate. And before that happens people (rightly) in need of work will do a work on the trees like their granddaddies did.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Accretionist posted:

That doesn't excuse posting Climate Change Fan Fiction.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate & Discussion > Climate Change Fan Fiction

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010

syscall girl posted:

Wouldn't combustibles from jet fuel and methane cooking off and a lot of reflective snow/ice just not being there any more be problematic?

The methane converts pretty readily to co2, on a timescale of decades. I think the general idea is that most or a lot of our carbon was in the earths atmosphere at one time in the past. It would have been pretty warm and no ice caps and such.

And plants evolved to sequester carbon into themselves and then into coal and such, slowly cooling the earth over a very long time period.

I think the point is that venus is "probably" not our worst case scenario. But 16 degrees warming ot whatever it is, might be.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
The Sun is 4% hotter these days so it's cool there's less CO2 around.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Shibawanko posted:

I haven't seen anything to indicate this. If you're thinking of the arctic warming, that's in large part due to the polar vortex temporarily shifting into Russia. The Arctic's unseasonably warm and Russia's unseasonably cold but they're Russians so they're fine and that half of it's not news; it'll shift back.

It's still a big deal because it's melting a lot of older, thicker sea ice. There's a lot of thin ice that forms thin melts every year. It's only weakly contributive to what Arctic sea-ice is supposed to be to: mitigating solar-warming of the ocean and contributing to convective currents in the North Atlantic. It takes a long time for the thicker sea-ice to form and we've been seeing less and less of it every year, and this unseasonable warmth dramatically accelerates the trend.

(^^iirc)

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
CO2 concentrations would have to be about 3%, or 30,000 ppm to reach a runaway point to lead us to Venus like conditions, IIRC even if we burned all the known fossil fuel reserves we wouldn't get much above 2000ppm

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

3% CO2 is where you start baking sulfur oxides out of the crust?

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

Trabisnikof posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate & Discussion > Climate Change Fan Fiction

He's tired, tired of moving, tired of never having enough, tired of the constant fear, but what can he do? He trudges on down the shattered road, occasionally checking the rusted out cars for anything useful. There never is. Been picked over too many times. He looks up at the sky and squinted, then wiped his brow. Another scorcher. He took a sip from his canteen. And there was that fear again. Fear that the water would run out again before they were able to get more. Wouldn't come from the sky, not here. Wouldn't come from the ground, either. Old pumps, wells so deep you couldn't see the bottom, they were all as dry as the dust storms that would sweep across the plains.

"Daddy," comes a voice. "Can we stop for a bit? I'm so tired."

He looks back at his little girl. There is his life right here, his reason for carrying on. She deserved better. Of course, there was little he could have done differently. The traditions of all dead generations weigh like a nightmare... People had chosen this fate together. They had their reasons of course, but none of that mattered now. No sense thinking about what they could have done differently, not now. A billion, shallow graves too late.

Her face is red with the heat of sunburn and whipping of the wind. Her eyes are pleading. She is so strong, but she is also still just a child. "Sure. There's a bit of shade underneath that old tractor. We'll rest there."

As they rest, he sees another group of people coming down the road from the opposite direction, wearing the white armbands of refugees. He remembers back when he first started seeing refugees. As a boy, he would watch the people swarm from ships in the new harbor, peaking and dropping like slow waves against the shore as the giant vessels picking their way through the drowned corpse of the old city would dock and unload. "Why do they keep coming?" he would ask, and his parents would shake their heads. "No food where they used to live," they would say sometimes. Other times, "another war." Or, "water's all gone there." Or, "storms swamped another city. Nowhere left for them to go back to." The reasons changed with the seasons, but the tide of people kept coming, until at last, it didn't. Then the starvation started here, the wars started here, and he joined the people on the road.

"Why can't we go south? Those nice men were going south. We could have stayed with them. There'd be water there," his daughter says.

"You heard that last radio broadcast. The storms are too deadly. If it's not super hurricanes, it's the constant tornadoes, the flash flooding--and there's no warning. No, west is our only hope." He stars at the other refugees approaching from the west. Well, maybe not.

She sighs, then grows silent. Sleeping, probably. She is so skinny, all flesh and bones. It makes him want to cry. Then she speaks again. Not sleeping, not yet. "I miss our home."

"Me too, sweetie. Me too." But there is little left of it, and the fighting back east is still raging.

The other group of refugees is near now. "Mind if we join you?" one of them asks. A man. It's three men, all skinny like him, all sunburned like him. Their packs can't be holding much.

"Go ahead." What else could he tell them?

"Anything to spare?" another asks.

He shakes his head. "Wish I could," he whispers. "Any news out west?"

"There was an earthquake out west. The big one finally happened. Few months back. Surprised you haven't heard."

No he thinks. One of the last stable places in what was left of this country. "How bad?"

"Well," one of the men says. "It's about as bad there now as wherever you came from, probably. Maybe worse. We'll... we'll need your food and water."

His heart starts pounding. "You--"

All three of the men pull knives. "Sorry," one of them says, and he really looks like he means it. "Desperate times."

"It's all we have," he says, and starts to rise.

The fight is brutal, but short. In the end, the man has five stab wounds. He wants to keep fighting, but he can't. The blood is leaking out of him now, but his strength left long ago. One of his lungs is punctured, but he curses them, as they drag his daughter away, crawls after them, but he knows the score. As he lies there, dying, he sees another dust storm building on the horizon. Well, they're all probably dead. Those men, too. Everyone. Civilization itself, perhaps.

Then he sees a figure approaching. Another man, strutting merrily through the fields of dust and ash. He looks... happy. How could anyone be happy in times like these?

"My daughter," he tells the approaching man. "They took her... please..." He's dead, he knows that, but maybe this man can do something.

The man is carrying a strange map. He seems to have drawn it himself. He grins, and says: "Have people considered the fact that we could end up in a far superior climate on the other side? Much like a revolution is a time of turmoil, whose intensity might seem scary in the moment but which stops the constant normalized oppression by the ruling class, climate change might be be a shock but eventually place us in a world where we're no longer oppressed by smothering blankets of snow in the winter. The Earth has been much warmer and wetter in the past, where the polar regions had nice and temperate climates and desert regions gave way to scrub and grasslands, or even monsoon and rain forests. Obviously we're going to need decisive action to carry us through this period of transition as painlessly as possible, because the road to the new equilibrium passes through a much less hospitable world, but on the other side awaits a veritable paradise."

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Shibawanko posted:

It's not on the menu any time in the next 1000 years and if it does we'd never know because we'd be long dead before the time it got there.

Eventually it will happen even without climate change due to the sun's evolution.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Jesus, Phoenix.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

That's a good post.

Telephones
Apr 28, 2013
please stay a fanfiction please stay a fanfiction please stay a fanfiction

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Good moral of that story. The worrier dies knowing he has lost everything, the optimist dies with a smile on his face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

drat.