Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Destroy Brain

♪ BGM: Looming Crisis

Being out of town apparently didn't mean I won't have free time and boredom, like I originally assumed. Merry Christmas, have a bad end. The Bad End Train finds its next station during Missing. Yuuri just had a very strange run-in with Watase, in which Watase flashed back to his fight with the ''monster'', was scared shitless, and ran for it. He then seems to have lost all memory of that run-in with Yuuri. Back during our playthrough, Watase threw away all doubt and continued searching for Yuuri. But what if...

(Why... where did she go!?)

But then the feeling that something didn't add up hit him at that moment.

(Yuuri was so scared about going down the elevator shaft that I had to carry her... yet she was totally okay with climbing up? And she got up there faster than I could catch her...?)

His inner doubts began rapidly piling up. Something was off. Something about this wasn't right.

(What is it? Did Yuuri do something to me? ----!? ''Did Yuuri do something to me''? What the hell's wrong with me!?)

Watase was confused by his own baseless thoughts. Just then, a memory flashed through his brain--

♪ BGM: Psychological Warfare

--...--...--...--

He'd found Yuuri in the elevator hall. She'd been saying something to him. But oddly enough, he couldn't remember what it was. Yuuri eventually walked over towards him calmly--

No, that wasn't it. Even the memory Watase had just remembered was a ''total mystery'' to him.

(Wha... I lost that memory without even being aware of it...? No way, could that have happened when my memories got muddled up a minute ago...!?)

But there was one other thing he didn't understand. Why had Yuuri been so calm when she was hanging around in a contaminated zone? A mysterious anxiety burst into Watase's heart.

(Could it be... that Yuuri isn't affected by radiation...?)

Even he knew that was an utterly insane idea. But something inside Watase was asserting that belief.

(If she's immune to radiation--)

And the fact that there was a blank in Watase's memories of the previous time he'd been in the elevator hall meant--!

(--Could Yuuri still be lurking around in the contaminated zone!?)

Watase came to that conclusion and quickly backtracked to B2.

Watase then became sure of it: There was no way a frail girl like Yuuri could have ever put up with a headache like that.

(Then that means she really is....! But if that's the case, then what in the world -is- Yuuri...!?)

If there really was a person unaffected by radiation, then they were probably something not human.

Watase kept on commanding himself to remember with all his might as he searched the contaminated zone. He felt that the answer lied somewhere in his vanished memories. His headache grew much worse at that very moment. But Watase gritted his teeth and desperately searched his memories.

(She then stretched her palm out to me, and then...)

(Because I saw Yuuri... and that monster... as one and the same...!)

Watase remembered that-- but just then...

Ghh, agh...

GAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHHHHH!

Watase held his head and screamed. His brain was being assaulted by a head-splitting headache. It was at that moment that Watase remembered...

(This is the radiation's--!!)

But by the time he realized it, it was too late. The pain churned the inside of his brain. His brain itself hit its limit, and his brain cells tore apart. --I'm breaking apart!

OWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!

He couldn't stop screaming. He heard the sound of his capillaries snapping apart in his head. Blood then poured out of his nose.

But suddenly--

♪ BGM: Silence ♫

From light, to sound, to his screams, and even the pain ravishing his brain. That's right, everything... even the memories that made Watase who he was... Vanished. Disappeared into thin air. Became indecipherable. No, there was one thing that was clear. His brain had been completely destroyed. And then-- his world became one of nothingness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Merry Christmas Watase

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

What the hell happened?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Watase's Head A Splode.

Also that sort of confirms that Yuuri is a BC candidate.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

She said she could use BC, just that she couldn't do it well, didn't she? That second part is apparently a lie I guess

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Sister

Back during Missing, Kazami seemed strangely out of it. Back then, we asked our best buddy, Jun, about it. This time around, now that we've got a higher Favor of Kazami, we can get a friendship scene here.

Jun looked sadly at Kazami.

(... Yeah, something's definitely up.)

Watase ran up to Kazami as soon as he thought that.

♪ BGM: Loyalist / Theme of Tachibana

She finally looked at Watase after hearing him shout.

...Huh?
Haven't you been acting a little weird... for a while now? I remember you acting like this back when you found the girl's body at the cargo lift. I think you said 'Nagisa' or something like that...
! ...So you heard that?
Yeah. It feels like you're acting just like you were back then.
What's this 'Nagisa'? Why's someone so cool-headed as you acting this way...?

Kazami breathed a deep sigh at Watase's question--

...It appears it would be better if I told you.

She then began quietly talking.

'Nagisa' was my little sister's name.
You have a sister?
Yes... She was my only family until she passed away nearly ten years ago.

Watase gasped. Kazami continued with her story.

...I wasn't a rescue worker or a firefighter at the time. I just had a normal job. My sister and I lived in a single room apartment... We didn't have much, but it was a happy life. But one day, I was on my way home from work, same as always... only to find the apartment complex where Nagisa was waiting for me collapsing.
'Collapsing'... how'd that happen...?
It was a gas explosion... one powerful enough to partially destroy the complex... I just stood there the whole time, unable to do a single thing. The fire trucks came soon enough, and Nagisa was taken to a hospital... but it was no use...

Kazami's voice was as calm as always. In contrast, Watase's heart felt like it was shaking.

...I'm sorry. I shouldn't have forced you to open up such old wounds.
It's all right... this isn't the first time I've told you about this, after all.

Watase had never cursed his amnesia more than he did now.

(I've gone and made her relive this painful story twice...!?)

But Kazami didn't seem bothered by it. She hung her head down and spoke.

...If Nagisa were alive, she'd be about the same age as Ms. Yuuri or that girl who died by the lift. So you see, Captain... whenever I see a girl around that age hurt or in danger-- I just can't keep my composure. I always try to act like a calm and collected perfectionist, but something like that and I completely fall apart. Like right now. And yet I'm still in this line of work. Even though disaster sites are no place for atonement... Laughable, isn't it?

Kazami gave a self-deprecating laugh. Now Watase understood the true meaning behind Kazami's attitude towards Yuuri.

(So being hard on Yuuri... was her way of showing concern?)

Watase, now filled with this knowledge...

...You idiot, of course it's not laughable.

...wrapped an arm around Kazami's head. Kazami jolted with a start, and then froze.

Captain... Please stop... you're setting a bad example for Moribe.

He could tell that Jun was staring at them from behind-- but Watase did his best to ignore that.

Forget that and listen up, Tachibana. Maybe you'll think I'm getting full of myself by talking like I understand... but I think it's something that I need to say now.
Tachibana, you're a strong woman. You're a brave, virtuous woman who deserves utmost respect. However-- No matter how strong they may be, no one's invincible. I highly doubt anyone could go on living while hiding all their pain and weakness. So at the very least... isn't it okay to let yourself show some of that weakness to your comrades?

Kazami gasped.

...Those words...
Oh... so I really did get too full of myself, didn't I?
N-no...

Kazami said that and touched Watase's arm.

...I believe it's just as you say... And to be honest... I'm very happy to hear you say that.

Kazami then gave him a faint smile. It was a smile without the slightest hint of gloom in it-- a smile Watase had never seen before.

...I see.

Watase felt a tinge of relief flood over him, and he let go of Kazami. Kazami's face then grew stem to hide the shades of red forming on her cheeks.

Now then... we have been wasting too much time on my account. Let us hurry on over to the neuroscience laboratory.

Kazami said that and broke off into a dash. Watase tried to follow her, but then Jun ran up to him and gave him a pat on the back.

Huh... what's wrong, did you think that was too cheesy or something?
No, that was muy bueno. You sure are manly.

Watase returned her smile, then ran off together with Jun.

And then we jump into Recollect.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Disappearance: 09/16/2030, 12:46

...alright, gently caress it, have a real Christmas present. Eight new chapters, in one big swoop. I'm getting too god drat impatient in wanting to get to Route Before, so get ready for a real rollercoaster of whiplash. Aaaaanyway, our next diversion comes during 9-3. We need to work out who we team with for the next round of searching.

First time around, we went with Jun. This time around, we'll go with Kazami. We'll also come back to this and go with Ena the third time. This actually leads to a few new chapters - the split here is larger than before. So now, Jun and Ena make one team, going the route we took together with Jun and Ukita before, and Watase goes along with Kazami and Ukita, going the way Kazami and Ena went before.

♪ BGM: Ominous Ambience ♫

When it came to the other way around, the security slot was totally intact. So Watase's group used that route to get into Area 4.

The area where Salyu had run off, where the flashover had nearly killed Watase, Kazami, and Jun, and where they'd found Hiyama's body. The reading on the Procyon read ''6610 mSv''.

The contamination is much worse than it was before...!
But we've got AD, so we should still be able to manage.
She's right. We should get the search here done as soon as we can, then move on to Area 3.

--Kazami and Ukita were right. Just because they'd found a ton of AD didn't change the fact they were short on time.

(We need to be more careful to make sure we don't waste any time from this point onwards...)

Watase thought for a moment, then spoke up.

Then let's commence the search! You all have three minutes!
Yes!

The team immediately began to search the outer ring. But there weren't that many rooms, so the search probably wouldn't take all that long. Watase ran down the hallway and headed for the elevator hall. For the room where Hiyama's body had been put to rest. But as he drew near--

Watase's eyes widened. He could tell something was off.

(It's like something that should be here isn't...!)

He soon realized what it was.

That can't be... Why...!?
D-did someone take it...?

The group had been together the whole time. Meaning it couldn't have been anyone else but one of the three survivors.

(No wait... couldn't Yuuri have done it too...?)

Now that Yuuri had run away, they couldn't say for sure that she couldn't have come here and taken the axe.

(But what would they want with an axe...?)

Watase had no idea. But he had a horrible feeling about all this.

A-anyway... let's keep searching.
Y-yes.

The group said that, then resumed the search. But their efforts were as fruitless as they'd predicted. They went to go search B1 next.

Going up a flight didn't stop the Procyon's alarm, of course. The reading was--''4612 mSv''.

...Still, there's a huge difference between B2 and B1, huh?
But for all we know, this place could become just as contaminated. Let's search while we still can.
R-right.

Watase's team grouped up and searched B1. They didn't find any survivors in the outer ring. And the situation in the inner ring was no different. Yuuri and the others were nowhere to be seen in the control room.

♪ BGM: LABO Security Lv. 2

The ceiling had collapsed there, leaving them unable to proceed.

It would appear they aren't here either, huh...
Yeah, but...

Watase was curious about the collapsed ceiling.

We have a yellow branch about Kazami here, in which we set her to 4 as according to the walkthrough, which is the ''high'' value. 1 would have been the ''low'' one.

Highly unlikely. Moribe and I already checked these kinds of gaps thoroughly-- And besides, if there -were- a hole to the surface, the Commander and the others would have used it to get down here ages ago.

Kazami's words made sense.

I see... Yeah, I guess there was no way we'd conveniently find an escape route in a place like this.

So here, having a low Sense of Kazami would have meant Watase checking it and wasting time.

Unfortunately... Moribe and I already checked all the places that looked like they could be escape routes, as I believe I mentioned earlier. That included the ceilings, air ducts, elevator shafts, and emergency staircases. They're all surrounded by those steel plates, and none of them have even a scratch on them. We may have overlooked one... but let's put priority on finding the survivors for now.
...Yeah. Then let's go on to Area 3.

Watase and the rest of the team then left the connecting passageway.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Warning: 09/16/2030, 12:51

♪ BGM: Evil and Nightmares

This is...

Kazami was looking at the room in front of her. It was the room where Dojima and those two researchers had died.

(There's bodies behind that door even now...!)

A blue branch, where we set Kazami to 7.

But he did his best to hide his fear and spoke up.

...Wait here a minute.
Captain Kasasagi, what are you up to?
I'm probably wrong... but I want to check something to be safe.

He quickly found himself worrying about her.

...Tachibana, you don't have to come in if you don't want to. I'll go check it out.
Yes... my apologies.

Watase walked up to the room in front of him and opened the door.

(Khh... that doesn't make it any less gruesome...!)

But he could tell from a glance that none of the survivors were there. Watase quickly left the room. When he did, he saw Kazami looking at him with fear in her eyes.

...Captain.
Yeah, don't worry... none of the survivors were in there.
That only figures. That room is enough to drive even the living insane.

There was something unsettling about how Ukita had said that-- but Watase ignored it.

Anyway, there's only two rooms in this block. Let's check the other one out.
...Yes.

The team then headed for that room.

♪ BGM: LABO Security Lv. 2

There were a lot of blind spots, meaning it'd be hard to tell right away if anyone happened to be collapsed behind one of them.

Think it's possible anything could be here?
Yes. Make sure you check behind everything here.
Roger.

The team then began their search of the room. But there was no hide nor hair of the survivors or any AD.

(Khh... then while I'm at it...)

Watase decided to look for ''information''. Several documents were scattered on the floor deeper in the room. Perhaps their pages held a hint to escaping this facility that Watase's team didn't know about.

(Is there anything useful here...?)

Watase walked over to the documents, started picking them up one by one, then read them. But what they said was--

--All of them had meaningless pieces of information, incomprehensible to Watase. What's more, they were all fairly old.

(Guess I shouldn't get my hopes up...)

Watase picked up another paper as he thought this.

Hmm... 'NBC Outbreak: Security Manual'?

Kazami peeked over his shoulder and spoke up.

Captain, what's that you have there?
Not sure. What's NBC anyway?
Oh, NBC stands for 'Nuclear' 'Biological' and 'Chemical'. So for example, whenever they refer to an NBC disaster, that's a general term for a disaster caused by nuclear, biological, or chemical substances.

In other words, this manual probably described security measures to be taken during an accident much like this one.

(But I thought they valued evacuation more than security in these kinds of situations...)

Watase's thoughts were interrupted by a voice behind him.

What are you two doing!?

They turned around in surprise to see Ukita looking at them furiously.

Oh, uh, I just figured there might be a hint to escaping this place in here.
We don't have time for that now, right? And besides, all the print materials in this facility are old anyway. They abolished print nine years ago and decided to digitize everything from then on. They haven't gotten around to disposing of these documents yet, but they're so old that the information's useless anyway.
But what about the disaster prevention manuals? The ones we found said '2030 Edition' on them.
Those are the only emergency procedure documents, so they always distribute printed copies of the latest version. But that, along with everything else in this facility, is supposed to be top secret. I believe I told you earlier that digging too deeply into things could have severe consequences.
But this is an emergency, so regardless of the policy--
This isn't a simple threat or a joke! I'm telling you this for your own safety!
!!
...You shouldn't take a government-managed research facility lightly. Unless you don't like the idea of living in peace, that is...!

Ukita's eyes had an almost bizarre intensity to them as he spoke. As if to say that this world contained far more frightening situations than the disaster they were trapped in-- Watase was overpowered by that look and found himself replying on instinct.

G-got it... sorry. Let's finish up searching this room and move on.
...Yes.

Watase still felt dissatisfied with the situation-- but he and the others left the room for the time being.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Explosion: 09/16/2030, 12:56

♪ BGM: LABO Security Lv. 3

Watase smelled something.

Hmm?

The stench of something burning was filling the hallway from somewhere.

Is it just me, or is something burning?
You're right... Where in the world is it coming from...?

The group carefully followed the stench to its origin. They then arrived at a stairwell--

They looked towards the bottom of the stairs and spotted a tiny fire flickering behind the staircase.

It doesn't appear all that strong...
Hey old man, it's dangerous, so stay back and wait.

A blue branch with Watase at 7.

Once he confirmed Ukita was now outside the stairwell, Watase descended the staircase with Kazami.

Was the fire not fully put out and it just relit?
It appears that the sprinklers weren't able to put it out entirely because it was in the shadow of the staircase.

Watase determined that and immediately started giving out orders.

Anyway, prep me a fire hose.
Yes!

Kazami obeyed Watase's orders and ran off into B2.

♪ BGM: Ominous Ambience ♫

It wasn't odd for there to be a fire extinguisher in a stairwell. It looked like the fire nearby was almost trying to crawl over to the extinguisher.

(What is it!?)

Captain, I've got the hos--

Watase started shouting right then.

Tachibana, stay back! Retreat!
Huh!?

Kazami froze where she stood. Warning alarms were ringing in Watase's head.

Look out!

Watase lunged for Kazami as he shouted that. And right after he dove out of the stairwell with her-- There was a brilliant flash behind him.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Injury: 09/16/2030, 13:00

Everything around him was engulfed in thick dust.

(What the hell just happened...?)

It seemed that the small fire had ignited something, causing an explosion. But as to what that ''something'' was--

(Don't tell me...)

Watase then heard a voice under him.

U-ugh...

It was Kazami. She was lying on the floor, shielded by Watase.

!? Tachibana, you okay!?
C-Captain...?

Kazami looked at Watase with trembling eyes-- then her face warped in agony.

Ugh!
Wh-what's wrong!?
...M-my leg...
!?

Watase looked down to see a scrap of iron about 15 cm long impaling Kazami's left calf. As he stared at it, he saw blood ooze out of the wound and drip onto the floor.

What the...!?

A voice came from the stairwell at that moment.

Heeeey, guys! Are you okay!?

It seemed Ukita was unharmed.

Tachibana, wait here, I'll be right back.

Watase then ran over to the stairwell.

Watase looked up to find Ukita gazing down at him from the open doorway to B1.

You okay, old man!?
Yes, fortunately! How about you guys!?
Tachibana's hurt!
What!? Then what's the status of her wound!?
It's not life threatening, but her leg's in bad shape! I'll take her to a nearby room and try to treat it! What'll you do!?
I can't get down the stairs in this state! I'll keep going through this floor and search the next area!
Got it! Then take this!

Watase took out his Procyon and tossed it up the stairs.

I've got it! Then I'll be going on ahead now!
Okay, but be very careful!

Watase finished up his talk with Ukita and hurried back over to Kazami.

A blue branch with Kazami at 7.

Kazami was trying to get up on her feet by herself. But all it did was make her impaled leg hurt even worse. Her face just warped with agony more and more.

You idiot! Don't push yourself in your condition!
I-I'm okay... a wound like this is-- n-nothing...

Watase said that and squat down, his back facing Kazami.

But then I will only be a hindrance to the search...!
Is this really the time to be saying that? Listen, you're wounded right now, so quit griping and do as I say!
A-all right...

Kazami put her weight on Watase's back. Watase hurried on over to a nearby room, feeling the softness and weight of her body leaning against him.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Medical Care: 09/16/2030, 13:03

Watase laid Kazami down on the floor.

Sorry, but I'm going to have to roll up your pants.
R-right...

There was no time to be hesitating. Watase rolled up Kazami's pants,

and grimaced instinctively. Kazami's pale leg was drenched in blood. Her wound wasn't that deep, but it was fairly wide.

(Can I really treat this with Chiron...!?)

Impossible. Even if he were to apply the ointment to her, it would just continue bleeding in this state.

Tachibana, let's head to the infirmary! We should be able to treat you there!
Wait!

♪ BGM: Words of Healing

Kazami grabbed Watase's sleeve and spoke.

It appears my arteries are unharmed... so we can perform adequate treatment right here.
But this needs to be stitched closed...!
We don't have the time or skills for stitches... so we'll use this.

Kazami then took something out of her breast pocket.

This is...!?
It's a medical stapler... please use this to close up my wound.
But...
H-hurry up... it's still bleeding...!
...!

Watase resolved himself and took the stapler. He then pressed it against Kazami's wound.

I'm counting on you...
...Here I go.

Watase then pressed the stapler--

Kazami's face twisted in pain.

You okay!?
...!

Kazami nodded as she kept her eyes shut. Watase hardened his heart and pressed the stapler once again. --Five staples were enough to seal the wound. Watase then used about half of the Chiron tube on the wound without worrying about how much he was using. Soon enough, the bleeding stopped completely.

--Okay, we're done!
Haah, haah...!

Kazami's breathing was pained.

Th... thank you.
Does it hurt?
A bit... but it's tolerable.
I see... that's good to hear.

This feels a little nostalgic...
Huh?
Oh, uh... it just reminded me of the times when I was first starting out in Sirius. I would get injured like this a lot, and then you would scold me. Back then, you told me 'you're so reckless I can't even bear to watch'.
Huh... It feels a bit surprising to hear that I said something like that. I never would have imagined you had a phase like that.

When she heard Watase talk about himself like he was someone else,

Captain... do you really remember nothing?
Huh...?
...For example, what about any memories about me? Are you sure you don't remember anything?

But Watase couldn't lie.

...I'm sorry. I really don't remember anything.
...I... see...

Kazami then grew quiet.

This yellow branch guards the entrance to another Kazami friendship scene. Our Sense of her being 4 or higher lets us in.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Former Girlfriend

And at that moment-- a memory abruptly resurfaced in his mind.

It's been ages since I last wore a skirt... It... doesn't look weird, does it?
Not at all. It looks really good on you, Kazami.

It'd only been for a second-— but he'd seen himself with Kazami in what appeared to be a park.

? Did you remember something?
Well... for some reason, I remembered you wearing a skirt...

Could that memory be...!?
What is it, Tachibana? You know what it was? Tell me, what was that memory about?
W-well...
Please! This could the key to unlocking more memories, right?

Why did -that- have to be the one thing you remembered!? That's... that just doesn't feel fair!
Huh? What do you mean by...?

But at that moment-- Watase turned around in shock.

H... hey, Tachibana, were we... going out with each other?

When Watase said that, Kazami--

...We used to.

Confirmed his guess.

'Used to'... then what about now?
We broke up a while back.
...I see.

Watase had no clue as to what he should say.

You saw that photo in my locket, right?
...Yeah.
The reason your picture is still in there... is just because I can't find the time to take it out, that's all...

Watase didn't press her on that rather flimsy excuse. He decided to ask another question instead.

...Why did we ever break up?
... ...You and I are very similar. It was that part that drew us to each other. but the fact that we were -too- much alike meant that it got too painful for us to be together for long. ...That's probably why.
I see...

Now that he thought about it, Kazami had mentioned something like that way back then. She'd said that he was an ''intellectual rescue worker who always made rational decisions no matter what the crisis''. That described Kazaml perfectly, so it seemed they really were a lot alike.

But man... I must have been a real dumbass to break up with you.
Huh?
Women as good as you are only come by once in a lifetime, after all.

Those words came instinctively flowing to his mouth straight from the bottom of his heart.

Huh...? Was that weird?
I mean... it doesn't sound like anything you'd ever say. You would never talk that way at all...
...Maybe losing my memories made me a bit more honest? If that's the case, maybe getting amnesia wasn't such a bad thing after all.

Yeah, I was just kidding. But you know-- I was being totally serious when I said you were a good woman. You've saved my life more times than I can count, and you're reliable to a fault. You're strong, surprisingly kind, and you even show a cute side from time to time... In all honesty, it makes me want to regret that we ever broke up.

Right now... we need to worry about escaping this place.
R-right.

Watase's face tensed up when he said that. He decided to push all that sentimentalism off to a far corner of his heart for now.

...Then I'd better get back to searching now.
Oh, then I'll come along too.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Dec 27, 2016

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Medical Care: 09/16/2030, 13:03 - Part 2

Don't push yourself. Just rest here for a while.
B-but...
No means no. You're being 'so reckless that I can't bear to watch' right now.

Watase borrowed his past self's words to get his point across. They appeared to have been enough to reach her.

Head back to the neuroscience laboratory once you've recovered. Then wait for the others to come back. While you're resting, keep an eye on the functioning security cameras and see if you can spot any of the survivors.
Yes... please leave that to me.

Watase took Kazami's Procyon and headed for the door. However, Kazami then called out to him in a low voice.

Captain... um--
Hmm? What's wrong?

Kazami paused for a few moments after Watase turned around-- then continued.

N-nevermind... Just please be careful, okay?
...Yeah.

Watase gave an obedient nod, then left the surveillance room.

After this, we enter into Beyond Communication, and things pretty much converge there. Sure, there's the occasional mention of Kazami instead of Jun and that, but overall, things stay the same. Watase goes to check the place the explosion happened, but finds nothing much of anything - obviously, since the thing that caused the explosion (the bomb in the fire extinguisher) was blown to smithereens. He then finds the reference area and goes through things just as we did during our first playthrough. Watase and Ena meet up while chasing Salyu and have a little talk, this time with Ena talking about how Jun fell from a large height instead of Kazami being in an explosion. During Bomb & Gun, Watase has a reason to suspect the fire extinguisher, but it's not like he needed one. Next time, we'll go to Cross-Examination and see how we can really gently caress things up.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Cross-Examination: 09/16/2030, 14:20

Now, we can really cock this part up by making the wrong Senses inputs. And if we mess all of them up, we actually spring right into a bad end. So of course, we're going to do that. First, here, we need to have our Sense of Ukita be higher than our Sense of Watase.

Where were you and what were you doing in that six minute blank?
W-well... I was really out of it after seeing that body... When I came to my senses, I was walking down the inner ring's hallway... but as for where and what I was doing...
But that's not true. The archive footage even shows that there was no body in the first place!

Note the Favor changes. That's a whopping -3 to both Kazami and Jun.

Watase instinctively fell quiet. His memory of finding the body was crystal clear-- but his ''subjective'' memory had been smashed into pieces by the ''objective'' video footage.

Wh-what's the meaning of this, Captain... why would you ever lie like that?
Why, you ask? I believe it is quite obvious. He used that as an excuse to show up late to the factory... Then probably took that opportunity to steal the AD under our noses.
!!

Everyone gasped at Ukita's accusation.

It then proceeds as normal until the next input.

Here, the wrong choice is to have Watase's Sense of self be low.

...!
Hiyama barely managed to escape, but in the end he got burned to death. And if we think of it that way, then perhaps Yuuri and that girl who died by the lift... were also witnesses. Oh, and that's right, Louise-- you know, the one who runs away from you every time she sees you-- may also be a witness.

Oh? Does this mean that even you suspect that it's the truth?
...!

It had been for a second-- only a mere second-- but he had indeed suspected that.

God damnit, Ukita, what are you doing in this game, you should be a prosecutor in Ace Attorney.

(Th-that's right... now that I think about it, a lot of things were strange from the beginning. The reason Salyu kept running away was because... she was running from -me-? ... No way... Is that true...?)

Watase looked around, seeking help. He looked eyes with Kazami. A troubled look rose to her face.

In this case, the deadly combination is a low Sense for Jun and Kazami, and a high Sense for Watase.

I-I don't know...
Then... do you at least know if I ever acted like I might...?
I really don't know.

Th-that can't be! Dojima and I were your coworkers, right!? So how could you not know any--

But before Watase could say any more,

How could I possibly know when you never once talked about yourself!?

Kazami interjected with a stinging voice.

...!!

Watase gasped. Kazami stared at him with dull eyes.

No. Before you lost your memories, you were a man who put his distance between others... You never once told anyone what you were thinking, nor did you even attempt to. No one...
I... I never talked about myself...?
Yes... It was like...
...Like he had something to hide...!?

Jun finished the sentence that Kazami had bitterly begun weaving.

...What would I want to hide?

Jun answered Watase's obvious question in a dry voice.

Who knows...?
Hey... are you taking this seriously?
Well, it's just, now that I think about it... I don't know anything about your private life either. I just know you on a work basis...

Watase was astonished. He'd thought that Kazami and Jun would trust him. Just as he trusted them. Yet they didn't trust not only the Watase without his memories, but even the him from -when- he had his memories.

(This isn't happening...!)

Watase's feet started shaking. Jun glared at him and spoke.

Captain... tell us the truth... Why did you really go down to the basement...? You normally would have never left a command post to begin with, so why...? Come on, tell me... Captain... did you really come here to save lives...? If you didn't... Then I swear I'll make you pay, you hear...?

Anger was slowly building in Jun's eyes. No, it wasn't as simple as anger. --It was the intent to kill. Jun glared at Watase with bloodthirsty eyes.

No, you're wr...

He wanted to say she was wrong, but he couldn't. He knew anything he said here would sound hollow.

Alas, since we screwed the pooch pretty hard here, Ena will not come to our rescue. Instead, we're right into a bad end chapter.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Binding

...Captain, did you really lose your memory?
Tachibana...!?
I apologize for asking this, but like Moribe says, your actions are far too incomprehensible. You claim that you went down to the basement because you were summoned by Dojima and Hiyama-- But normally, you would have contacted me and Moribe and ordered us to go instead. Yet that is not what you did. Please answer this question: why did you leave the command post and go down to the basement by yourself?

The calculating look in Kazami's eyes pierced Watase's heart.

W-well...

Watase desperately tried to remember in detail what the situation had been back then. But he didn't know anything. His memories of that time were completely gone.

... Can you... not answer?
S-sorry...
...Understood.

Kazami breathed a heavy sigh, then signaled at Moribe with a glance and spoke.

Moribe, please get a rope or a wire or something like that. We're going to restrain the Captain.
Huh...?

Restrain? Watase didn't understand the meaning of that phrase for a moment. But that moment was long enough for Jun to pull out a cable lying under the control panel.

...Mr. Ukita, can we use this?
Yes, I don't mind in this case.

Jun then cut the cable loose with her army knife once she'd received Ukita's consent. Said cable was more than long enough to tie someone up.

(... Don't tell me they're...!) A-are you kidding me...?

Kazami then looked at Watase with a cold look in her eyes and spoke.

We have no idea what could happen in this situation, and your existence is completely disrupting what little order we have here. Therefore, we have to restrain you until you're clear of all suspicion.

--They then restrained Watase's body with the cable, tied his hands behind his back, and brought him to a laboratory on B2 of Area 2's outer ring.

Kazami then placed her AD on the floor as if saying that it was the least she could do. Watase's hands were tied behind his back, but he probably could indeed still inject himself with it. But that didn't matter in the slightest to him.

Tachibana... are you sure you're really okay with this?

Watase looked into Kazami's eyes with a heartfelt yet pleading gaze.

Captain, please don't look at me like that... If we find anything that clears you of suspicion, then I swear I'll come untie you right away, so please...

Kazami said that, then left the laboratory as if she were running away from him. The other members soon followed suit--

Just sit as still as you can until the lockdown ends.
Captain, don't get any funny ideas, okay? I don't want to do anything worse than this to you.
Captain Kasasagi... I'm sorry.

--and left Watase alone in the laboratory.

...Goddammit...!

He instinctively cursed. To be abandoned by the comrades he'd been through thick and thin with felt like being cut off from the world itself. But he could understand why they were nervous. The fact was that his actions before he'd lost his memories truly were simply too unnatural. The incident with Yuuri in particular had been fatal.

Kazami's cold glare was still burned into his brain.

(But... what was I supposed to have done...?)

He didn't have an answer to that. And so time flew by as Watase kept pondering questions like that for a while--

Watase had yet to use the AD that'd been left for him, both so that the survivors could use it and so he could prove his innocence.

Automatic PA: --Main and backup power supplies offline. Now switching to emergency power.

Just then, the lights suddenly went out with that announcement, leaving Watase in darkness and confused. What in the world was happening outside...?

Watase had already thrown up twice, likely due to the effects of radiation exposure. Yet his nausea just wouldn't go away, and his headaches and the numbness in his skin only grew worse with time.

(Dammit... enough is enough...)

Without the willpower to speak, Watase had to settle for cursing in his head--

We hear two dull, muffled sounds.

♪ BGM: Abyss

Watase felt goosebumps spread all over his body at that sound.

(Were those-- gunshots!? What happened!? What's going on out there!?)

Anxiety swiftly filled Watase's heart.

Hey, is anyone around!? Get me out of here, please!

Watase started shouting outside as his panic grew worse and worse. Soon enough--

Captain...

She staggered into the room on unsteady feet.

Moribe, what happened!? I thought I heard gunshots!

But Jun cut Watase's bonds with her army knife without another word. Her face was unbelievably pale. Her pained breaths made it even clearer that she wasn't her normal self.

M-Moribe...?

Watase called out to her in worry--

Ugh...

--only for Jun to pitch forward. Watase immediately caught her.

H-hey!

His palms were damp with something sticky.

Watase then noticed that Jun's back was being stained red by a large cut that was ripping right through it.

Moribe... how...!?
Cap... tain... run... for it... She... she's...

Jun wheezed out a breath before she could say any more. And with that, she stopped moving altogether.

M-Moribe...?

She didn't respond to him. He could tell Jun's body was losing heat and fast.

Moribe! Hang in there, you hear me!? Moribe!

But Jun didn't move.

N-no way... If this is a bad joke, then cut it out!

Watase silently prayed as he checked Jun's Vital Checker.

That signified ''death''.

Moribe... no... Why...? Why did this happen...? Moribe... ... ... ... Dammit... -—DAMMIT! Who the hell did this to Moribe!?

(--What happened here!? What in the world has been happening in LABO while I've been locked up!?)

Only to find Ukita sitting against the well. Watase had a bad feeling about the situation. He could see a pool of blood spreading in front of Ukita.

--Old man!

Watase ran up to Ukita and touched his shoulder. When he did, Ukita's body fell to the ground sideways without offering the slightest resistance-- There was a giant, deep cut stretching from his right shoulder all the way to his heart.

Old man! Hey! Hang in there!

But Ukita didn't answer-- Watase just then noticed that there was something in Ukita's hand.

The pistol in Ukita's hand was a totally different model from the one Ena had given him. Watase looked around to find there were bullet marks in the nearby walls and floor.

Then that gunfire I heard was--!?

Ukita had probably been trying to fight off someone with that pistol. But he had been no match for them. He had been slain in one mere strike. And his wound looked identical to the one on Jun's back.

(Which means that the old man fought their attacker here to give Jun time to escape!? But even though he was no expert with guns, who could have avoided all the old man's shots and killed him like this...!? --No way!)

Several scenes of all the death Watase had seen in this place went through his head.

(Is the one who killed those five now on the move!?)

Then the fact that the same killer had murdered Ukita and Jun meant--

(poo poo! Are they trying to kill us all!?)

Watase then gasped as it finally hit him.

--Then that means Tachibana and Teach are in trouble!

Watase left Ukita's corpse behind and ran through the connecting passageway.

Wha...!?

Watase was immediately rendered speechless when he arrived at the inner ring.

Kazami was lying face up right in the middle of it.

♪ BGM: Memento Mori

--Tachibana!?

Watase ran up to her and held her in his arms. There was a large vertical cut across Kazami's chest. The same kind of cut that Jun and Ukita had. Rivets of still warm blood poured out of it.

Kazami was still breathing faintly.

Tachibana! Just hold on, I'll treat you right away!

But Kazami kept talking deliriously as if she didn't hear a word Watase said.

Wata.. se... I'm... sorry... If only... I'd... trusted... you... more...

Kazami's life grew fainter with each word.

Tachibana, that's enough! It's okay, just save your breath!
Aah... I can't see... Hey... where are you...? N-no... I don't... want to be alone... any... more...

It seemed Kazami's eyesight was rapidly failing.

Tachibana! I'm here! I'm right here!

Watase looked into Kazami's eyes as he desperately called out to her.

And then, all of a sudden, something shined in her eyes.

(Is that something silver...?)

At the very moment Watase realized that...

Something smashed right into the top of Watase's head, making his entire world shake. --A second later, his brain went haywire.

(Split head's been)

Split

(brain's been) brain's been

BRAIN's been

--sPLiT!

AGH, AAAAGH, GAAAAAAGHHHHHHH...

Strange sounds came out of his mouth. Just then, something was ripped out of his brain and let out a sound as it hit the ground. At that moment--

A memory forgotten flew right past him.

He didn't know when it was from.

Watase miraculously regained his ability to think soundly just then.

(-~Tachibana will be killed too if I don't do something!)

Watase then held on to Kazami with all his might in order to protect her--

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Brutal :stare:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Wow that's a seriously new twist. Kazami and Watase were a couple.

And look at best buddy Jun being a wingman :3:

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.

SSNeoman posted:

And look at best buddy Jun being a wingman :3:

Man, Jun continues to be the best :3:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
...well, I suppose that's one reason it's not really a nuclear reactor. If a reactor core is melting down doesn't that kind of mess up its ability to produce power?

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

TheMcD posted:

W-well... Please! This could the key to unlocking more memories, right?

I haven't actually seen this scene myself, but I feel the part after the ellipsis is Watase's line.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016

TheMcD posted:

That only figures. That room is enough to drive even the living insane.

There was something unsettling about how Ukita had said that-- but Watase ignored it.
:tinfoil:
Ukita has definitely shown he knows more than he can safely let on and that was a very odd word choice. At this point anything could be true.

EDIT: Between the different splits and such, is there any situation where friendship scenes are mutually exclusive? There doesn't seem to have been any so far, but maybe I missed something.

OddHaberdasher fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Dec 27, 2016

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

OddHaberdasher posted:

EDIT: Between the different splits and such, is there any situation where friendship scenes are mutually exclusive? There doesn't seem to have been any so far, but maybe I missed something.

Yes, when you pick who to go with in 9-3. You can only get that scene where you find out Kazami is his ex if you team up with her, and going with Jun in the main run allowed us to find out about the scars on her back. After he gets the last Kazami scene TheMcD is going to have to reload and team up with Ena to finish her scenes.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Remember just who is - very likely - swinging that axe. It's Salyu. She is loving hardcore.

Cyouni posted:

I haven't actually seen this scene myself, but I feel the part after the ellipsis is Watase's line.

You saw nothing.

OddHaberdasher posted:

Yeah, like whitehelm said, the end part makes some friendship scenes mutually exclusive and requires reloading.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Promise

Alright, our last major diversion for Kazami's friendship scenes comes during Last Choice. This yellow branch hides the entrance to Kazami's last friendship scene. A Sense of Kazami higher than 4 lets us in.

I'll call for help as soon as I get out of here. I admit I'm scared about leaving you and the others behind... but please wait for me.

Kazami nodded without uttering a word. Watase felt his heart ache at the sad look on her face. --She was the woman who'd once been his girlfriend. His partner who he'd fallen in love with because ''they were similar'', but had also broken up with because ''they were too similar''. That's why Watase was painfully aware of how she felt. How she was worried about him, and how she felt discouraged about being left in this place with no AD. But they didn't even have time to lament their parting.

(... This isn't the time to be taking it slow.)

But in spite of that thought-- Watase couldn't hold back his feelings for Kazami. Not his feelings as a rescue worker, but as a man.

...Kazami.

Watase called her by her first name for the first time since he'd woken up. Her eyes widened at the same time he kissed her lips.

He could feel her gasp. He'd probably kissed those lips many times. They felt somewhat nostalgic to him, and he could also feel her heartbeat through them.

Watase embraced her tightly-- And then gently let go of her.

Watase... you just called me 'Kazami'... Does that mean you got your memories back...?
...No.

Watase answered her honestly.

I can't remember anything no matter hard I try. Nothing about the time we were dating, or why we broke up... But while I can't remember them, my feelings from back then still seem to linger in the depths of my heart. They're all my feelings for you... All of the love I felt for you from the bottom of my heart.
...!

A faint tinge of red covered Kazami's cheeks. Watase gently caressed those cheeks.

Hey, Kazami. Maybe I no longer have the right to be saying this... But if we make it out of this whole thing alive, why don't we take another walk through that park?
...!

That was the one fragment of their past together that Watase had remembered a short while ago. It was probably a memory of a happy time in both their lives. Kazami then smiled and nodded.

...If we get out of here.
All right, then it's a promise.

Watase said that with a smile, then put the faceplate on.

And then we enter back into Last Choice. That was the last major change for our playthrough for Kazami's friendship scenes - there's some minor bits and pieces, but nothing really that interesting. Let's just end this bit on a high note, then. Not like the next time is going to be pleasant, either.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Awww :3: That was really cute

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
This is probably getting into spoilers territory, but while the friendship scenes may be mutually exclusive, are the epilogues necessarily? By which I mean, when we get to the end are the respective epilogues irreconcilable? I mean, with the way Ena is going I can see why she would be irreconcilable with Kazami 'my ex-girlfriend' Tachibana, but I see no reason (barring a sudden turn) why Best Buddy Jun couldn't have her epilogue as well barring game play contrivances. It just seems a pity when games that do not have wholesale differences between different choices still feel the need to make character development mutually exclusive, especially when missing just one scene means that character's development is locked off to you.

TL;DR If answering this one way or another does not constitute a spoiler: When we get to the end of the game, are the epilogues mutually exclusive to the point pretending they took place in the same play-through would require ignoring whole paragraphs (Ex: Tachibana and Ena both seem to be going the romance route)?

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

OddHaberdasher posted:

TL;DR If answering this one way or another does not constitute a spoiler: When we get to the end of the game, are the epilogues mutually exclusive to the point pretending they took place in the same play-through would require ignoring whole paragraphs (Ex: Tachibana and Ena both seem to be going the romance route)?

Hmm...well I'll say they're not going to flat out contradict each other, no. Let's leave it at that.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Treachery

Now, I said that this one wouldn't be fun, and I meant it. We've already seen what happens during Cross-Examination if we've ruined our Favor with Kazami. Now, what happens if we do the same for Jun? We'll have to start ruining our favor earlier for Jun, during Smoking Barrel. Jun doesn't trust Ena's explanation in the slightest, but what if we do right off the bat?

Wait, you're believing her just like that?
Well, we can't prove otherwise, so yeah, nothing we can do about that.

Watase admonished Jun, then turned back to Ena.

And then we're right back in the chapter the way we saw it. Basically, we don't get the airsoft explanation and lose Favor with Jun.

Next, during Suspicion, Jun and Ena are insisting that somebody from the main group had to have taken the AD because the high school kids wouldn't do it. So we're going to not buy that.

He's right, and what's more... the culprit must be one of us.

Jun scanned the others with a sharp look in her eye.

You idiot! Are you serious!? Are you actually doubting us!?
It's not like I want to, okay! But that's the only possibility I can think of!
Come to think of it, you've been a bit too trigger happy for a while now! Think a bit before you spea--
-You're- the one who needs to be thinking! Don't just go blindly ignoring what others have to say!
...!

Jun's harsh shouting shut Watase right up. She then continued talking with a subdued voice.

...The only ones here in LABO are us and those kids, right? But I don't think Natsuhiko and the others would go steal the AD without saying a thing.

And then it just continues on as normal.

Next, we have Ukita bringing up the possibility of a traitor within Sirius. But what if we divert the potential blame?

Then are you trying to say... that there's a traitor in Sirius...?
Perhaps.
You ungrateful bastard! Are you forgetting that we saved your drat life just last week!?
Now now, hold on, what I'm doubting is--

An enraged shout erupted from Watase's throat as another quarrel began to break out.

Cut it out already, guys...!
!
Why are you doubting each other so much? You guys just aren't thinking straight because you're all tired to death, right? Just think about this normally and you'll realize there's only one answer.
What?
The culprit is one of the survivors. They decided not to wait for us here, then tore up the note, took the AD, and left.

Everyone's faces froze over at Watase's suggestion.

A-are you out of your mind...!? Didn't you hear me when I said that those kids would never do anything like that?
She's right! Are you doubting my students?
I don't want to. But it's dangerous to trust them unconditionally without any sort of solid proof.
My my, such a level-headed opinion... One could even call you 'cold'. But do you even have a way to get that so-called proof?

Man, Ukita, you're a real piece of work sometimes, you know that?

Well, no, I don't...
What the hell!? How can you be so irresponsible!?
Irresponsible!? Me!? I'm the one trying to be the voice of reason here...!

--In the end, Watase had ended up only fueling the fire of the quarrel he'd been trying to stop. They argued for a little while longer... until Ena suddenly raised her voice.

Enough, people! We can complain all we want, but it's not going to make the situation get any better!
Mmm, that's true...
Is there any way we can prove who stole it...?

A lightbulb went off in Watase's head at that comment.

There is... all we have to do is go to the surveillance room...
The surveillance room?

And then we continue on as normal. Now, we don't actually see the difference in Cross-Examination. That goes through as normal, with us doing two Senses inputs the right way and one the wrong way, which still leads to Jun and Ukita going insane and us fleeing with Ena. However, during the following chapter, Cause...

♪ BGM: Close to the Truth

However, Ena suddenly fell quiet before she finished talking.

Hmm? What's wrong?
Shh. Be quiet.

--A second later, they heard footsteps racing down the hallway, only to stop right in front of the office they were hiding in--

No one's here... Odd, I'm pretty sure that Mr. Ukita was chasing them this way...

It was Jun's voice. She then suddenly started speaking in a pained tone.

...Captain... I can't believe this is happening... I trusted him the whole time, and yet he...
(Moribe...!)

Watase felt like his heart was being crushed. But then Jun's attitude took a sudden 180.

He'll pay for this...! I'll find that bastard and make him give back the AD he took...!

Watase trembled at the clear hatred in Jun's voice. Right then--

...Moribe, are you looking for Captain Kasasagi and Ms. Tsubakiyama too?
Yeah. I mean, you can't take them on by yourself, right?
Well, yes, I suppose that's true... By the way... what about Lieutenant Tachibana?
No, she's not helping out. All that evidence and yet all she's doing is saying 'just calm down' like a broken record.
I see... But I'm not sure we can take them on with our bare hands even in a 2 on 2 fight.
Actually, I was considering the same thing, so I was thinking of getting a little something to help even the odds.
Interesting... and where would it be?
Over here. Come with me.

Their footsteps then vanished in the direction of Area 1.

...This isn't good. It sounds like they could be on their way to get a weapon of sorts.
Then let's take this chance to find another place. It's too dangerous to stay in this area forever.
Good point... Let's go.

--then headed in the direction of Area 3, away from Jun and Ukita.

Now that we've come this far, I think we'll be okay for a while.
Probably... But we can't keep running around like this forever. Hey, why don't we go back to the room where the AD vanished one last time?
You mean the neuroscience laboratory? Why there?
I don't know who took the AD-- But maybe we'll find a clue to their identity if we investigate the room in more detail, right? If we can at least find proof in there that we didn't do it, then I think that'll calm those two down a little.
Teach... you're sounding like a detective or an investigator, you know that?
Really? I think anyone would come up with the same idea in these circumstances.

Watase was surprised to see Ena smiling as she said that.

(To be able to smile in a situation like this... you've sure got nerves of steel, Teach.)

Though that said, Watase agreed with her idea.

Roger that. Then let's head for the neuroscience laboratory right away and investigate the place.

Come to think of it--

Watase suddenly remembered something as he took out his security card.

Hmm? What is it?
Didn't you mention when we were hiding in that office that there was something bothering you? What was it?
Oh, well...

Ena paused, then slowly shook her head.

I'll save that for another time. We'd be in a whole world of trouble if we came across those two right here and now.
...Yeah, that's a fair point.

Watase nodded in response to Ena's comment-- but at that moment...

♪ BGM: Abyss

A strange noise suddenly echoed through the passageway. It was Ena who realized what it was first.

--M-Ms. Moribe!?

--!!

Watase was rendered speechless. But a second later-- Jun suddenly swung the cutter downwards, cleaving a diagonal slash through Ena's body.

Dark red blood dripped down onto the floor. Ena looked at it with wide eyes.

Wh... what... is this...?
T-Teach!

Ena's body violently lurched forward. Watase caught her in the nick of time. He couldn't speak.

...!

He could see something white exposed by the giant wound that'd cleaved her flesh. It was Ena's collarbone. Blood came gushing out of it.

C... Captain... Kasasagi... am... I...?
Don't talk! I'm gonna stop the bleeding right now, you hear!?

Though he knew it was futile, Watase pressed his hands against the wound. Ena's body began to convulse. Her blood kept pouring out in droves without end, filling the passageway with an ever-growing puddle of blood. --It's too late! She's beyond help! In his head, Watase knew that. But he ignored it and kept on encouraging Ena.

It's okay, Teach! It's just a little scratch, that's all! So you need to hang in there, okay!?

A heartless voice then cut in.

You're wasting your time... That wound's fatal any way you look...

Watase glared daggers at Jun. Jun gave Watase a curious look and continued.

What're you so angry about...? It was all Ms. Tsubakiyama's fault, right...?
You dumbass! Isn't it your duty to save lives?! So how could you even -think- about doing something like this--!?
Oh lay off... you're a fine one to talk, considering you were accomplices with a murderer... See all this blood...? It's your accomplice's blood...
My... accomplice...?

He didn't know what she was talking about. But Jun paid him no heed and kept on talking.

You're so horrible... I hated you before all this, but I was just starting to like you today... You got me to trust you once... but then you had to go and betray me like that...

Jun then pulled the engine cutter's lever. Watase's whole body trembled with fear. But he couldn't leave the dying Ena behind and run for his life.

Stop it, Moribe! Do you even know what you're doing!?

Jun suddenly came to a halt.

Bewilderment filled her face. But just as quickly as it'd appeared--

...DON'T SCREW WITH ME!! You think I'm doing this because I like it!? Don't group me in with you guys! This is all your fault, you bastards! Your fault, your fault, YOUR FAULT!

Jun raised the engine cutter overhead in rage. Watase was still holding Ena. --He couldn't run away. And then,

St--

before he could even say ''stop'', Jun mercilessly swung the engine cutter down on him. The blade came into contact with Watase's skull. His scalp split open, and his bones were smashed. Memories of Jun flickered by at that moment.

My nickname's 'Sirius' Lady Suicide Squad Chief'! My catchphrase is 'Jun's my name, rescue's my game!' Let's get along, okay!?

--The last thing he ever heard was a mysterious sound--

----!

Watase's agony was soundless. And as his gray matter splattered on top of the now dead Ena--

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Dec 28, 2016

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

Nasty. :stare:

Amnesic Watase is sometimes almost painful to watch, with how kindhearted and earnest he is.

TheMcD, you mentioned you were using OCR software for this game, is there one you would recommend?

ArashiKurobara
Mar 22, 2013
One of my friends ended up getting this for me off my Steam wishlist for Christmas and I just finished it - I'm kind of sad that it means working back through and finding "how to not waste time and good end After" is my only chance to contribute since I was a latecomer to the thread to boot, but being able to sit here and :allears: is its own kind of joy. (And since I have a friend who's read it already, a joy I got to sow as much as I'll now reap!)

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

HydroSphere posted:

TheMcD, you mentioned you were using OCR software for this game, is there one you would recommend?

I haven't experimented with a lot of software - the first one I used, which I recall being recommended in some sort of LP thread (Sandcastle or Tech Support Fort, can't remember), was already good enough for what I wanted. The one I'm using is Capture2Text. It's simple, but it gets the job done just fine.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Accident

Now, we've seen what happens if Kazami doesn't like us during Cross-Examination - axe to the loving head. Then, we've seen what happens if Jun doesn't like us during Cross-Examination - engine cutter to the loving head. Next, we're going to see what happens if Ena doesn't like us during Cross-Examination. Of course, we don't need to see what happens when Ukita doesn't like us - because there's no time when he *does* like us.

In order to ruin our Favor with Ena, we actually need to go *way* back. Remember when I said we needed to go back to Order? This is why - we don't get a lot of opportunities, so we need to take those that are there. We're now going to take a tour of interesting new things we find in the process.

One kind of interesting thing is that during Factory, if you have your Senses for Jun, Ena and Kazami the same, Watase can't make up his mind and you get another branch, asking about those three and also Yuuri and Ukita. If you have them all the same again, Kazami just decides that Watase is teaming with her for the team of two, and you lose Favor for all four women on the team. If you pick Ukita, you lose Favor for Kazami and Ena, and Ena just forcibly makes herself Watase's partner, with Kazami backing her up. And if you pick Yuuri, you lose favor for Yuuri and Jun, and Kazami just decides that Watase and Jun are teaming.

Another interesting thing is during The Pursuers, where we actually get a fairly long sequence of Watase grilling Ena over her conversation with Salyu.

What was all that stuff about 'not paying heed to our information yesterday' and 'closing your heart' about...?
Huh? Oh, um, well-- Ms. Sannomiya and the others came to me yesterday and said that 'there's some sort of secret in LABO. We want to look into it, so could you accompany us?'...
What?
I didn't really know what they were up to, and there was no way I could've accompanied them to begin with, so I turned them down. And, well, it looks like Ms. Sannomiya doesn't trust me thanks to that...
Is... that right...?

It was a very vague story that didn't shed much light on things.

What do those kids know that we don't...?
...I don't think it's something worthy of that much suspicion...
But when you think about it, isn't it strange that there's a bunch of high schoolers in a nuclear research facility to begin with? And that they just so happened to be here on the day of such a huge accident? Are you sure you didn't hear more from them about why they wanted to go to LABO?

Just a reminder that you should know exactly why they were here and why they were here on this exact day. You know, just to make sure you're keeping up.

...No. That's really all I heard.

Watase wasn't entirely sure he believed Ena's answer.

Teach... is that true?
It is. Why would I ever lie about that?
But, and bear in mind that this is just the impression I got... When you and Salyu were talking earlier, it was, how do I put this... It wasn't like the kind of conversation you'd expect a student and a teacher to have.
Huh?
Are you guys really student and teacher?
Of course. What would ever make you think otherwise? I'm pretty sure you can tell just from her name alone, but she's only half-Japanese. She's just unaccustomed to using polite Japanese speech, that's all.
But that's not all that bugs me. What does 'leave the rest up to the adults' mean?
I was referring to rescuing Mr. Tenkawa and the others there. I was telling her to wait in a safe place and leave the rescue to us adults.

There was no hesitation in anything Ena said, and it didn't sound like she was lying either. But that didn't mean Watase was without his doubts.

But why was a teacher like you treading so carefully around a student...?
...Because she's a difficult kid to deal with in some ways. Like how she puts up walls in her heart when dealing with others...
...Is that right?

Watase quietly stared at Ena for a while-- But he soon realized that he didn't have time to waste on grilling her. Ena seemed to be thinking the same thing, as she quickly changed the subject.

But while I was indeed treading carefully with her-- I'm sure now that something happened between you and her, probably before you lost your memories.
...Yeah, that's bugging me too.

And then the chapter goes on as normal. With that said, we go all the way to Cross-Examination, which goes normally, with us doing the first two right and the last one wrong, all the way until when Ena would cut in. Instead, we start a new chapter.

Are you just going to let what they said pass as fact?
Teach... you don't trust me either?

Then that meant that Watase had lost the trust of the whole team.

That's... ...But if things keep going this way, I can't trust you. You'll need to show some proof if you want to be trusted. You need to tell everyone what you were doing in that 'six minute blank'.

The six minute blank-- That was indeed the main reason why no one trusted him right now.

B-but...

He couldn't recall the events of those six minutes no matter how hard he tried. Ena then spoke to Watase in a compelling voice.

Please, Captain Kasasagi... I want to trust you. But I can't do that now. I need a reason to help you out.
T-Teach... (Could she be giving me a chance?)

Watase desperately tried to think of something that would support Ena's argument. --But he had nothing. He couldn't find anything that would satisfy his comrades' doubts.

I think we've waited long enough, Ms. Tsubakiyama. We've already offered enough evidence to cast suspicion on Captain Kasasagi. Any more discussion would be fruitless. Right? Don't you agree, Ms. Moribe?
Yeah... I can't trust the Captain anymore either...
Hold on, guys! Let's hear him out for a little while--
No, he's had enough time to make his excuses. Or do you have some concrete reason to want to cover for him?
W-well...
You don't, right? Then just shut up already. If you don't-- then things could get ugly again, like when we found that gun you were hiding.

Jun and Ukita's harsh glares shut Ena right up. Ukita then turned his gaze to Watase and spoke.

Now then... what to do with you?
Why don't we tie him up and lock him away somewhere?
Sounds good. Now that that's decided, let's find something to bind him--
Oh, how about this cable? Will it work?
Yes. I'm sure pulling out one mere cable won't do any harm to the system.

The two of them smirked at each other maliciously as they pulled a cable out from under the control panel. It was then that Watase finally realized it:

(Th-this is bad... these guys aren't in their right minds...!)

Watase glanced briefly at the door as he shuddered in fear. --Just then.

Ah! Trying to run!?
Not good! Hold him down!

The two of them suddenly sprung at Watase.

--! L-let me go!

Watase succumbed to panic and shook them off of him. It was right then that his elbow smashed into Jun's face.

Ahh!

Jun screamed, and then-- Watase heard a very thick sound behind him.

♪ BGM: Memento Mori

He turned around to see Jun's head crashing into the edge of a piece of machinery.

Ugh...

Jun moaned in agony-- then suddenly stopped moving right then and there, her eyes still agape.

M-Moribe!?

Kazami spoke in what almost sounded like a scream and held Jun's body in her arms.

Moribe! Hang in there! Moribe!

But Jun didn't answer.

I-it can't be...

Kazami lost her composure and checked Jun's Vital Checker.

Watase saw that with his own eyes.

A-are you kidding me...?

Humans shouldn't be able to die so easily. That thought flickered through Watase's head. But the fact remained that Jun was neither moving nor breathing.

Aaah, AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! Jun! Please answer me! Jun! Jun! Why... why did this...!?

Kazami's shouts of grief echoed through the room.

Captain Kasasagi... you've really done it this time...!

A dark flame smoldered in Ukita's eyes.

N—no... no, I didn't...!

Watase panicked. Before he knew it, he was bolting for the door.

Watase immediately shouted at her.

Teach! Please get out of my way!
No... I can't do that... I hate to say it... but you have committed a grave sin... Now you must live up to it as an adult. As a man. So please-- don't run away from the reality behind you! I'm begging you!

Ena looked Watase straight in the eye, compelling him to listen to her. There were no signs of madness in her eyes.

Teach...

Watase had indeed committed a sin. Accident or not, he had still taken the life of one of his comrades with his very hands. That was something completely unforgivable.

(I... dammit...)

Watase stopped trying to run away, his strength slowly leaving him. He then looked at Ena and spoke.

I'm sorry... I'll do as you say.

Watase feebly gave that answer-- but then...

!!

Someone suddenly rammed right into his back with all their might. Watase was sent flying to the ground--

Ahh!

--and knocked into Ena, who fell with him. When he came to his senses, someone was bending over his back.

(--Who is it!?)

Was it Ukita? Or Kazami? But as Watase tried to turn around--

--!?

His whole body went numb with a shock. Something had been slid between his ribs through his back. --Something cold? That thought crossed Watase's mind for a minute,

(It burns!)

but he was mistaken. His brain had merely perceived it incorrectly. A second later, he realized what had happened.

(I've-- been stabbed!?)

By who? With what? Why? Those questions flashed through his head all at once.

He heard someone panting heavily.

Wha... why would you--!?
(--Who is it!? Who stabbed me!?)

But before he could figure it out--

Watase threw blood up on Ena's chest. And it didn't stop there--

*cough*! *cough* *cough*!

A great rush of blood came flooding out of his mouth with each violent coughing fit. His lungs were already full of blood. He couldn't breathe. It hurt. So much so that he couldn't take it.

*cough *cough*! *cough*, *cough* *cough* *cough*!

His vision was dyed dark red with blood. And then--

Sound also faded away from his world. Despite that, his suffering did not end. He was drowning in the blood filling his lungs. It hurts. It hurts. It hurts. He screamed.

My voice isn't coming out! It hurts. It hurts. It hurts.

(Is this my punishment for taking Jun's life!? Then please-- let it end quickly!)

Watase's consciousness was then devoured wholly by his agony.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Good lord people, drink some milk. That's at least two people that got flipped by Watase and violently exploded on impact :psyduck: You've got skeletons like balsa wood

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

TheMcD posted:

You're so horrible... I hated you before all this, but I was just starting to like you today... You got me to trust you once... but then you had to go and betray me like that...

Hmmm. I'm gonna guess that the Watase we know is wildly different from the one Jun used to know, and the closer we get to that original person the more Jun is inclined to hate and kill us.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
Watase just keeps dunking on people so hard they burst like overstuffed pinatas.

Jesus, people.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
It's his signature wrestling move. Unfortunately he doesn't remember that he was banned from wrestling murder.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

It's his signature wrestling move. Unfortunately he doesn't remember that he was banned from wrestling murder.

He learned the Leon Kennedy form of suplexing people so hard their heads explode.

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

TheMcD posted:

I haven't experimented with a lot of software - the first one I used, which I recall being recommended in some sort of LP thread (Sandcastle or Tech Support Fort, can't remember), was already good enough for what I wanted. The one I'm using is Capture2Text. It's simple, but it gets the job done just fine.

Thanks! :) I'll look into it.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
Ya know, finding out that The Captain used to be Anti-Buddies with Jun, and looking back on his failed relationship with Kazami....There is a difference between allowing yourself to drop everything to ensure the success of your (morally dubious at best) scheme, and actively ignoring the half of your team not in on the affair. There are valid reasons for doing so, when you really cannot risk them seeing something they shouldn't, but knowing that those particular people were on that team does potentially put a new spin on The Captain's actions. He doesn't strike me as that petty, but if these are the kind of thoughts running through Jun's mind when she turns on Watase, that makes her willingness to bring the engine cutter into the equation more understandable.

EDIT: As for her willingness to kill Ena (or perhaps simply her skill at rationalizing away an unfortunate accident when she saw Watase?) I'm just gonna have to blame it on hostile supernatural activity, whether that be Natsuhiko's unconscious influence or ghosts.

OddHaberdasher fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Dec 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Keep in mind she's in rage virus mode. It's totally possible that they simply had a professional relationship.

• Locked thread