Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I've never even seen boiled peanuts. Are they mushy? When do you take the shells off?

EDIT: Yeah, GIS is not helping, that all looks gross. Don't your hands get wet picking the shells off?
What's wrong with regular roasted peanuts?

Squashy Nipples fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Dec 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Wtf boiled peanuts are the only way I like peanuts. Something wrong with y'all.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Boiled peanuts are the lowest form of peanuts. I'll eat them if no other peanuts are available, because I love peanuts, but I won't be happy about it.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Boiled peanuts are obscenely great if there's enough salt in the boil to cause high blood pressure on the spot.

Also, did anyone download the Modernist app for iOS a few years ago? I can't seem to find it in the App Store anymore and dammit, I paid $80 for that

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

bloody ghost titty posted:

Boiled peanuts are obscenely great if there's enough salt in the boil to cause high blood pressure on the spot.

Also, did anyone download the Modernist app for iOS a few years ago? I can't seem to find it in the App Store anymore and dammit, I paid $80 for that

I did not however my wife had to show me this. You can download old apps that you bought that have been pulled. Go to updates>purchases>not on this iphone and bam, it's your app history. It may not get updates and get broken but well at least you have your old apps.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008

It's the end days, people. Let's get smashmouth on the horn.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Suspect Bucket posted:

I knew I saw George Washington Carver rise from his grave, and now I also know the reason.

\/\/ They're SLIMY peanuts are supposed to be CRUNCHY AND ROASTY TOASTY and not the consistency of a kidney bean. It's like, "Oh, hey, you like chicken? Here's this puffin I buried under a rock last year, it's fantastic"\/\/

George Washington Carver published at least 105 ways for peanuts to be made into food, including a way to simmer them into a paste that was then coated with breadcrumbs and fried like some kind of luguminous schnitzel. I have no doubt boiled peanuts were on his radar.

Also rock-fermented puffin is delicious, how dare you.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
Who stole the drat puffin?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a40VeD8YxiU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Okay, people who like olives:

I do not like olives. I would like to enjoy olives.

Please advise.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Eat them.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
I'd go for mild olives. Something like cerignola or mantequilla. They're delicious and somewhat less assertive than many other varieties.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Brawnfire posted:

Okay, people who like olives:

I do not like olives. I would like to enjoy olives.

Please advise.

Canned black olives are disgusting, and a lot of people don't like green olives with pimento, so maybe that's your problem. Go to a grocery store with an olive bar and get a bunch of samples.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
It's also acceptable to just not like a food and it's not a failing on your part you have to overcome

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Drink and Fight posted:

Canned black olives are disgusting, and a lot of people don't like green olives with pimento, so maybe that's your problem. Go to a grocery store with an olive bar and get a bunch of samples.

I think canned (whole) black olives are one of the most delicious things in creation, so I have to disagree with you there. I'm not sure why, it seems a lot of people really dislike them.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

The Midniter posted:

I think canned (whole) black olives are one of the most delicious things in creation, so I have to disagree with you there. I'm not sure why, it seems a lot of people really dislike them.

Because they are unripe olives that have been treated with lye, and they taste like it.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

The Midniter posted:

Canned black olives are often just dyed green olives, particularly if they're cheap. It's one of those foods where people can end up forming an opinion about something without ever having anything but the knockoff version (like parmesan, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, wasabi, Kobe beef, and so on).

Drink and Fight posted:

Because they are unripe olives that have been treated with lye, and they taste like it.
Green olives are (theoretically) the unripe ones. Black olives are (theoretically) the ones that have been ripened on the tree. Both are traditionally pickled in a brine containing lye. In practice many (most?) commercially packed black olives are immature (green) olives which have been dyed rather than ripened naturally, because this makes them cheaper to produce.

SubG fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Dec 22, 2016

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Drink and Fight posted:

Well, this is somewhat part of the problem. I'm from the hometown of Wegmans, and there's like a huge olive bar at every one and people constantly bring olives to things, and I want to like them because sometimes they just look sooo tasty, like they'd be stuffed with cheeses and wrapped in cured meats and stuff... And those sorts of things I can sort of enjoy. So I guess, what are the best kinds for me to sample, because apparently other people really like these hard bitter motherfuckers and I seem to prefer the big, floppy olives surrounded with juice.

Ben Nevis posted:

I'd go for mild olives. Something like cerignola or mantequilla. They're delicious and somewhat less assertive than many other varieties.

Thank you, I'll try these recommendations. Should they be, like, paired with anything? Am I supposed to be drinking something besides beer when I'm tasting these, because that gets a bit much... Wine?

FishBulb posted:

It's also acceptable to just not like a food and it's not a failing on your part you have to overcome

More of a challenge than anything.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Castlevetranos are also mild and yummy. You don't need to pair with anything but if you wanted to get some pita and hummus and some other veggies or something. Could also do crackers and cheese or charcutrie.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Olives are gross and I can't stop eating them :backtowork:

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Proper black olives are actually purple. Go find some nice Kalamata olives. Best in the world.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Squashy Nipples posted:

EDIT: Yeah, GIS is not helping, that all looks gross. Don't your hands get wet picking the shells off?
What's wrong with regular roasted peanuts?

Ya'll needs teef ta et roasted p-nuts, an dis is tha souf, we ain't got no reg'lar access ta dental care an in-surance. Ma maw an step daddy done got all them teef pulled by cousin-uncle bubba wit som vice grips an a handle a 'shine and she ain't never been better 'cept she ain't much for chewin no mor. Step-daddy got the sepsis and died tho, but that's all right cuz he was an ol sonofabitch anyways god rest 'im go gators

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Boiled peanuts are loving disgusting

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

This week I learned that boiled peanuts are a thing, as someone who probably eats 600-1000 calories in peanut butter a day.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
I'm OK with boiled peanuts haters, because that just means more boiled peanuts for me. It's one of the foods that I will not share. I will loving cut you. Get away from my boiled peanuts.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

All olives matter.

I love them all. I've never understood the olive hate. Quality matters though, I've had disgusting olives of all types.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Squashy Nipples posted:

All olives matter.

I love them all. I've never understood the olive hate. Quality matters though, I've had disgusting olives of all types.

I concur wholeheartedly.

I've never had boiled peanuts. I don't think I'd even come across them until I watched House Of Cards

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012

Drink and Fight posted:

My kids will eat nothing but canned black olives. I've brought home some of the most glorious olives known to caress a taste bud, and they think they are "growse" or "disgustink!". My children are culinary heathens.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Beautiful soft briny kalamatas on an crunchy oily-rear end herbacious sausage pizza finish it like a puzzle.

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not saying it was witches

but it was witches

What kind of olive is the Standard Jarred Brined Green Stuffed With poo poo kind? I like the ones stuffed with garlic.

I have met few olives I disliked, even the canned black ones.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

CostCo is selling this gigantic jar of Tassos green olives for ten bucks, it's a great deal. Stuffed with almonds or garlic, the jar also has big fat ribbons of pimento pepper and pearl onions. They are so crunchy and tasty, and just a little spicy. Perfect.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
The lye taste in olives is the same kind of 'base' flavor I don't like about carrots. I understand why people like them, it's a cool tangy but earthy flavor that livens up a dish and adds a neat kinda highlight to a dish. I just can't stand how they taste.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Suspect Bucket posted:

The lye taste in olives is the same kind of 'base' flavor I don't like about carrots. I understand why people like them, it's a cool tangy but earthy flavor that livens up a dish and adds a neat kinda highlight to a dish. I just can't stand how they taste.

Alright, here's a tedious experiment for you to try: the cores of carrots contain more calcium than the outsides. Some nutty chefs like Daniel Boulud will actually remove the cores of the carrots for some recipes because they noticed a difference in taste. Maybe try that?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Steve Yun posted:

Alright, here's a tedious experiment for you to try: the cores of carrots contain more calcium than the outsides. Some nutty chefs like Daniel Boulud will actually remove the cores of the carrots for some recipes because they noticed a difference in taste. Maybe try that?

Sure, next time I have some carrots lying around.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Carrots vary so much in texture and flavor already. Removing the core seems like something you'd do after controlling all the other variables. At the least it'd depend what you're doing with them.

go big or go home: make carrot pie

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
For Christmas I was in Vegas, and we did an entire prime rib. I've never cooked an entire cut like that, but it turned out awesome. Not as awesome as the pommes boulangerie that we did on the side - 30 pounds of potatoes disappeared like cigarettes in a prison. Makes you feel good.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mr. Wiggles posted:

For Christmas I was in Vegas, and we did an entire prime rib. I've never cooked an entire cut like that, but it turned out awesome. Not as awesome as the pommes boulangerie that we did on the side - 30 pounds of potatoes disappeared like cigarettes in a prison. Makes you feel good.

I hope there was a lot of butter in that recipe; that's a lot of potatoes up somebody's rear end in a top hat.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Beef fat, obviously

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Beef fat, obviously

That meal does sound drat delicious, actually.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

drat, it, $25 to fix the Thermopen. I guess I can blame the woman after all.

"...the probe sheath was broken off and that would not be covered under the warranty. The warranty covers any manufacture defects but it does not cover damage done to the product."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
The warranty sounds like a nebulous bit of blunderbuss that could wriggle out of anything. Don't blame the woman, blame the shiffty legalese.

I broke my kitchen aide to the point of no return and it has made me so sad I sobbed. Fortunately my birthday is 5 days after christmas so I'll get a replacement. I'll have all the fun add-ons...anyone have some good ideas to break in my new toy? I admit to already being prepared to use the dough hook to an astonishing and, frankly, almost unsafe degree.