Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

it would be ruff

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Don't call Michelle a dog

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Don't call Michelle a dog

Michelle wasn't President. :(

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
She will be in 4 years :)

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Is it just me or does Stardew Valley get a lot less interesting around Fall once you've set up a bunch of sprinklers to automate the crop stuff/finished the mines etc (I have access to the desert but the skull cavern is kinda boring and only seems to exist to find Iridium which will let me make even more broken sprinklers once I have some power packs) In Spring/Summer there felt like so much to do/lots of goals to work toward but now it feels like I have too much money and don't know what to do with the days

I'm pretty close to completing the community center except I'll need a bunch of different fruits for a couple of the bundles and I haven't been growing any fruit trees (and for some reason no one in the game seems to sell apples/oranges etc) I can also get married soon but the villager side of things doesn't really do much for me since it seems like making people like you is just down to showering them with gifts (I can't even tell if talking to someone raises their friendship levels at all since I still have 5 or 6 people with 0 hearts)

I mean I guess I can just continue to make lots of money from crops/make a prettier farm/get sheep/pigs/rabbits but idk

I'm playing the console version though so maybe mods on PC fix things somehow (I'm still enjoying it a lot)

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The Lakitu in world 3-1 of Super Mario Run that has the first purple coin can eat my rear end

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Shindragon posted:

Isn't that canceled? I mean haven't heard a peep from it at all.

It's got a few months until it's trademark runs out.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

MMF Freeway posted:

Haha yeah dark souls sure is crazy huh

But what ever happened to Deep Down, the dark souls of capcom games?

Dead Rising is the dark souls of capcom games, Deep Down is the dark souls of vaporware

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Gio posted:

hope this is a decent thread to post this!

My fiance and I are looking to buy either a PS4 or an Xbox One and could use some advice on which to buy. I lean toward the latter, my fiance the former. Given that I haven’t purchased a system since 2001 when I bought a PS2, I could use some help.

I’ll try to be as brief as possible…

• I do not give a poo poo about most of the exclusive games either system has. Shooters are dumb and are for manchildren. VR is dumb, too, I have no interest. Not really interested in Kinect and whatever the Sony equivalent to it is.
  • Right now we play games on Steam, which is why I lean toward Xbox One. Can we play Steam games directly on the Xbox One, or is the only advantage that we can use the controller to play steam games (and emulated games)?
  • We play games on steam on her computer but it has difficulty playing most games. (She is getting a new laptop soon.) She likes to watch me play horror games like Amnesia, Outlast, and Layers of Fear. Though I haven’t played much of anything recently, I like a lot of dumb retro indie games on Steam like Braid, Rochard, Ori and the Blind Forest, Trine etc. I also like Zelda-esque adventure games; those are cool. I’m a big Portal fan as well. Are a lot of steam games like the ones above available for download on Xbox and PS4’s marketplaces?
  • We don’t have a blu-ray player, but we definitely would play blu-ray movies if we had the chance.
  • We have a (new) Apple TV for our multimedia needs.

Not sure it would make a difference if we got either one. I almost think just getting a better computer is the best option, but I really loving hate the effort of hooking up my laptop, booting up everything etc. I want a console. My fiance is getting a new laptop so we’ll probably end up doing both.

you can use the ps4 controller to play steam games as well, and its a much better pad than the xbonen pad

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I thought Deep Down just became Dragon's Dogma Online.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Stux posted:

you can use the ps4 controller to play steam games as well, and its a much better pad than the xbonen pad

Nah the pad is the one thing that the xbone controller does better. Now that Nintendo's patent on the cross has expired, Sony needs to ditch the dumb gap in the middle.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

tap my mountain posted:

Nah the pad is the one thing that the xbone controller does better. Now that Nintendo's patent on the cross has expired, Sony needs to ditch the dumb gap in the middle.

the xbonee pad is really bad and has the same fatal flaw as the 360 pad with stick drift. also the dpad on it is dogshit still just not completely unusable like on the 360. ps4 dpad is second only to the vita dpad.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I prefer the DS4 overall but ds4windows is (for some reason, I know this isn't common) a whiny little bitch about whether it wants to enable my ds4 when plugged in on any given day

So I default to the xbone controller out of :effort: basically and it gets the job done

(e) Also the fact that ds4windows is necessary at all kinda grates on me. Sony too good to implement DirectInput or something?

Also I know people say steam supports the DS4 natively now in games run from it, but I have not managed to make that work ever

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Dec 29, 2016

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Yeah I'd prefer to use a ds4 but it's too much of a pain in the rear end to get working wirelessly so I just use xbone controllers

Apparently Sony's got a proprietary adapter now so maybe I should try that

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

tap my mountain posted:

Yeah I'd prefer to use a ds4 but it's too much of a pain in the rear end to get working wirelessly so I just use xbone controllers

Apparently Sony's got a proprietary adapter now so maybe I should try that

Don't bother, I bought one from Gamestop and it's specifically made to only work with remote play and PSNow, lmao

Sony is explicitly trying to keep it unusable with PCs at this point

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
The ds4 is the best controller of all time. So comfortable.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

I prefer the DS4 overall but ds4windows is (for some reason, I know this isn't common) a whiny little bitch about whether it wants to enable my ds4 when plugged in on any given day

So I default to the xbone controller out of :effort: basically and it gets the job done

(e) Also the fact that ds4windows is necessary at all kinda grates on me. Sony too good to implement DirectInput or something?

Also I know people say steam supports the DS4 natively now in games run from it, but I have not managed to make that work ever

ds4 does use direct input, its windows which refuses to play ball now that it wants xinput for everything. both the ds3 and ds4 work fine natively on osx etc. microsoft dont want you using non-microsoft controllers on windows, thats why the issue exists.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I just got it completely backwards then didn't I

but it's still annoying and the Sony dongle is still terrible :v:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i dunno why youd buy that when they just use bluetooth but that doesnt surprise me

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I returned it of course, my hope was that it would make the DS4 into a normal-rear end bluetooth controller rather than having to hope ds4windows would work correctly this time (it's about 50/50 for me)

Then I googled around and found that the box was very sneaky in stating what it could and could not do so I lose at reading comprehension

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I wouldn't mind having a DS4 at all. The 'bone controller does work fine for most things, but it has nasty stick drift and the shoulder bumpers are awkward and the face buttons aren't the best for button mashing in Mega Man and the like. Sad that Windows support for the DS4 is so lovely.

Love that D-pad though. Was great for precise walljumping in AM2R and Super Metroid ROM hacks. I remember playing Super Metroid on an emulator with a DS2 USB adapter and the D-pad just wasn't good for it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Use InputMapper instead of DS4Windows. They recently updated the interface to look pretty stupid but it's imo the best way to make a dualshock 4 work on PC.

edit: I am in the camp that is really annoyed by triggers. Triggers are stupid and mushy and ugly and I wish R2/L2 were just buttons. And the touchpad on the dualshock 4 is completely useless at worst, mildly annoying at best.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

steam is adding in ds4 support anyway so it wont be something you have to worry about much longer

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Stux posted:

steam is adding in ds4 support anyway so it wont be something you have to worry about much longer

Yes it will be, controller support is on a by-game basis. Some games read a dualshock 4 as an xbone controller and some work with it natively, but for a lot of games it just does nothing at all. The only thing you can do with the dualshock 4 on Steam is navigate the interface.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I just replaced my 7 year-old wired Xbox 360 controller with another wired Xbox 360 controller because it Just Works.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Guy Mann posted:

I just replaced my 7 year-old wired Xbox 360 controller with another wired Xbox 360 controller because it Just Works.

i dunno if saying that the controller famous for having a dpad which doesnt work just works is correct but ok

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

CJacobs posted:

Yes it will be, controller support is on a by-game basis. Some games read a dualshock 4 as an xbone controller and some work with it natively, but for a lot of games it just does nothing at all. The only thing you can do with the dualshock 4 on Steam is navigate the interface.

See my understanding was that they're adding a configurator kind of like for the steam controller to make games launched by Steam think it's an xinput (thank you stux) device and let it work

It just didn't work for me :v: I'll try again tonight though, have to reinstall the beta steam client for it

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

E: my question was answered by the post above mine :downs:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Ciaphas posted:

See my understanding was that they're adding a configurator kind of like for the steam controller to make games launched by Steam think it's an xinput (thank you stux) device and let it work

It just didn't work for me :v: I'll try again tonight though, have to reinstall the beta steam client for it

I guess it's not out of the realm of possibility because there are third-party programs that do the same thing, but unless they pull off some real magic I doubt it'll be as useful as it sounds.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I dislike playstation style controllers because they have two bumpers on each side. I like xbox controllers because they have one trigger and one bumper per side. I think D-Pads which don't work well are bad.

That's my thoughts on controllers thanks for listening.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Man some of you are super lame, getting lost in Yarmham/Lordran and having to rely on my own sense of navigation was a magical experience. As was being terrified by every potential threat during your first playthrough. Literally a high that I chase now...

Why don't yall gently caress off and play something else if the game's core mechancs and directions aren't up your alley? The amount of available options is staggering, go find games you like

>:/

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Every time I click on this thread I see the image on the top of this page for a split second and I hate it so much

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Chomp8645 posted:

I dislike playstation style controllers because they have two bumpers on each side. I like xbox controllers because they have one trigger and one bumper per side. I think D-Pads which don't work well are bad.

That's my thoughts on controllers thanks for listening.

The DS3 and 4 have triggers.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzdhTGaWzec

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Every time I click on this thread I see the image on the top of this page for a split second and I hate it so much

:justpost:

Mr E posted:

The DS3 and 4 have triggers.

The 4 has triggers, the 3 has weird mushy things that are both bad triggers and bad buttons at once.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

KingSlime posted:

Man some of you are super lame, getting lost in Yarmham/Lordran and having to rely on my own sense of navigation was a magical experience. As was being terrified by every potential threat during your first playthrough. Literally a high that I chase now...

Why don't yall gently caress off and play something else if the game's core mechancs and directions aren't up your alley? The amount of available options is staggering, go find games you like

>:/

There is no harm in making the games more accessible if it's wholly optional and doesn't force it on you, and I'm saying that as someone who has played literal thousands of hours of the Dark Souls games. I do not care about preserving the sanctity of the creators' intended design philosophy because the Souls games are all about learning how to break the poo poo out of that using the knowledge you've gained past your first playthrough.

edit: And I don't know what to say to Snak's point of "they'd have to sacrifice other areas of development to make room for making the game be more accessible" other than no, that's wrong, it's not a sliding scale of checks and balances like that because no game would be either finished or accessible ever if that was the case.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

haveblue posted:

:justpost:

The 4 has triggers, the 3 has weird mushy things that are both bad triggers and bad buttons at once.

Correct. The DS3 is real bad and not good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

CJacobs posted:

There is no harm in making the games more accessible if it's wholly optional and doesn't force it on you, and I'm saying that as someone who has played literal thousands of hours of the Dark Souls games. I do not care about preserving the sanctity of the creators' intended design philosophy because the Souls games are all about learning how to break the poo poo out of that using the knowledge you've gained past your first playthrough.

This is true in games that are single player only. It is false for multiplayer experiences.

Which is to say it would be fine for every entry except Dark Souls 2 lol.

• Locked thread