Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
https://www.theguardian.com/music/australia-news-blog/2016/dec/29/amanda-palmer-donald-trump-is-going-to-make-punk-rock-great-again

quote:

Amanda Palmer has called the past few months in the United States “a total poo poo show”, but there’s one silver lining she’s looking forward to in president Trump’s America: a renaissance of political art.

Speaking at a press conference during Woodford Folk festival in rural Queensland – where she announced she and husband, the author Neil Gaiman, had just been granted five-year working visas for Australia – the Dresden Doll, solo artist and cult cabaret icon invoked the flourishing of art and culture in Weimar Germany as proof that “frightening political climates make for really good, real, authentic art”.

“It’s been a really scary time in America. I don’t know how it’s felt over here [in Australia] for the past few months, but it’s a total poo poo show over there. Especially if you’re an artist, a woman, a minority, gay – anything but a rich white man – it’s really very scary,” she said.

“But being an optimist ... there is this part of me – especially having studied Weimar Germany extensively – I’m like, ‘This is our moment.’ Donald Trump is going to make punk rock great again. We’re all going to crawl down staircases into basements and speakeasies and make amazing satirically political art.

“If the political climate keeps getting uglier, the art will have to answer. We will have to fight. It’s already happening – the artists in my tribes have been like, ‘Alright. This is not good.’ We are sharpening our knives for a large buffet.”

Palmer, who is currently in Australia on a stripped-back acoustic tour, also announced that her and Gaiman have just been granted distinguished talent visas by the Australian government, which will allow them to travel freely between the US and Australia for the next five years. The pair will mostly be based in Melbourne.

Amanda 'literally a sponge given human form' Palmer wants you to know Punk is gonna be fuckin great.

It's kinda great because she seems to think America/England in the 70's was a fascist government, and that historically fascist governments don't utterly destroy 'degenerate' art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Art's Gonna Be Great Again - Amanda Palmer, unrelated.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Nonsense posted:

Art's Gonna Be Great Again - Amanda Palmer, unrelated.

'also I'm gonna hide out in Australia with my rich husband, peace'

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh yeah, remember all that great political art that was created during the Bush Administration?

Revolutionary stuff

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Guy Goodbody posted:

Oh yeah, remember all that great political art that was created during the Bush Administration?

Revolutionary stuff

green day had a passable album that became the soundtrack to the 8 years for extremely boring people

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
Wasn't PissChrist a GWB-era thing? I love me some pisschrist

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Leni Riefenstahl was a hero who disrupted the Nazi regime with her strong woman narrative, and empowered death camp inmates by giving them roles as extras in movies. We need more great political protest art like that.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

crazy cloud posted:

Wasn't PissChrist a GWB-era thing? I love me some pisschrist

Reagan-era

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/RussianEmbassy/status/814564127230271489

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

the end of the world will be shown on twitter. christ what a time to be alive.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

green day had a passable album that became the soundtrack to the 8 years for extremely boring people

pretty much this. all i remember protest/prog rock/whatever music wise was loving Holiday and hearing it in the mall alot. i always liked "give me novacane and "saint jimmy".

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

MizPiz posted:

Reagan-era

That can't be right I wasn't alive then

Or did people just manufacture a pisschrist controversy (pisschristoversy?) in like 2004 over 20-year old pee?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

crazy cloud posted:

Or did people just manufacture a pisschrist controversy (pisschristoversy?) in like 2004 over 20-year old pee?

Piss Christ debuted in '87, believe it or not.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Piss Christ debuted in '87, believe it or not.

holy poo poo, piss

that's a whole lotta edge for 1987

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea Piss Christ wasn't new, it won a NEA thing in the 80's and Catholic groups and all have been demanding it not be shown every time it goes to a new gallery

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

If that's really the artist's piss, that dude needs to loving hydrate

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Guy Goodbody posted:

:wrong: you gotta dehydrate for a bit and eat plenty of asparagus and coffee, really suffer for ur art, it's what regular non-piss jesus would hve wanted

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Vox Nihili posted:

It's a figment of the Clintonites' imagination. But fear not, the fact that they realize it's a Bad Thing indicates that they are learning. They just need to put the label on someone else for a few months while they come to terms. They've never been quick learners.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

crazy cloud posted:

80s but it persevered as a conservative meme throughout the 90s and 00s every election cycle to bring up the national endowment for the arts and extrapolate to defunding anything and everything imaginable

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

Revolutionary stuff

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ia1Nlq4Wg_4

i think lil bush is a little too hard on jeb.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Guy Goodbody posted:

nah it begins to ferment like wine over time, esp with jesus inside that really speeds up the process

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Mariana Horchata posted:

nah it begins to ferment like wine over time, esp with jesus inside that really speeds up the process

i thought that they only had enough piss for one night, but through the miracle of jesus, the piss lasted for eight days

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
its better to be pissed off than pissed on...

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Mariana Horchata posted:

what if being pissed on makes you pissed off?

what then

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

redneck nazgul posted:

what if being pissed on makes you pissed off?

what then

idk try to take it in stride cause it could be worse i guess

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mariana Horchata posted:

I_took_a_picture_of_my_blasphemous_piss_jar_every_day_for_a_year.wmv

WINNINGHARD
Oct 4, 2014

jesus is actually really good though. jesus beat the men who turned the synagogue into a market with a loving whip.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Tatum Girlparts posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/australia-news-blog/2016/dec/29/amanda-palmer-donald-trump-is-going-to-make-punk-rock-great-again

Amanda 'literally a sponge given human form' Palmer wants you to know Punk is gonna be fuckin great.

It's kinda great because she seems to think America/England in the 70's was a fascist government, and that historically fascist governments don't utterly destroy 'degenerate' art.

im sure it'll be a great time for her to once again pay her backing band loving nothing

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

WINNINGHARD posted:

jesus is actually really good though. jesus beat the men who turned the synagogue into a market with a loving whip.

jesus revved the engine of his '69 charger before ramping it from the steps into the synagogue

he did a sick burnout and fishtailed it, knocking down the stands of the money changers and scattering their filthy lucre from the sanctuary of g_d

boss hogg shouted "drat that nazareth boy" and threw down his hat, until one of the other pharisees pointed out that his name wasn't kosher and he was arrested and handed over to pontius pilate

WINNINGHARD
Oct 4, 2014

redneck nazgul posted:

jesus revved the engine of his '69 charger before ramping it from the steps into the synagogue

he did a sick burnout and fishtailed it, knocking down the stands of the money changers and scattering their filthy lucre from the sanctuary of g_d

boss hogg shouted "drat that nazareth boy" and threw down his hat, until one of the other pharisees pointed out that his name wasn't kosher and he was arrested and handed over to pontius pilate

he also shot the rat bastards in the face

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

https://www.facebook.com/mashable/videos/10154768824009705/

IKEA build a Syrian refugee house replica in a store.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

I_took_a_picture_of_my_blasphemous_piss_jar_every_day_for_a_year.wmv

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Mariana Horchata posted:

Please dont kinkshame

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
this vape shop's colors don't run

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Dear god that is some unreasonable color selection.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Ytlaya posted:

Dear god that is some unreasonable color selection.

They're also color incorrect. :smuggo:

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Since it's in Clearwater, I assume that's a Scientology operated vape shop.

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Tatum Girlparts posted:

can't wait to participate in the american punk renaissance

says rich artist living in australia

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

this vape shop's colors don't run

So does this sign just tell you to leave for no reason if you're colorblind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrumFUNist!
Nov 27, 2005

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Punk was supposed to be great under Bush and the best it did was Green Day.