Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Klaus Kinski posted:

I really don't think making the bosses, which are the main roadblocks of any souls game, easier would be erasing the point of the game.

Getting owned while exploring a new area is fun and exciting, being careful when rounding a corner or crossing a frail bridge is fun. Corpserunning to a boss for the 20th time is not fun because you didn't know what direction to dodge on that particular attack is not.

I maintain, the DS bosses are cool setpieces but lovely fights.

Summoning already makes boss fights (a lot) easier though. There can be issues with getting a summon (a player new to the series isn't going to be flush with Humanity in DS1), but it's probably the one area of the series where the player can actually control the difficulty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I can't see the letters VVVVVV without thinking of that one Shiny Thing that was unbelievably aggravating

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Ciaphas posted:

I can't see the letters VVVVVV without thinking of that one Shiny Thing that was unbelievably aggravating

Doing things the hard way?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Klaus Kinski posted:

What? DS combat system isn't advanced at all and an easy mode where you don't get 3 shot by every boss past the early stages would make the game appeal to more players.

Most of the fun in DS is exploring and the general atmosphere, making the bosses more a part of that than a roadblock doesn't really remove anything.

i think 3 is the only one where you really get into 3 shot and dead issues and even then its really not often. the boss fights though are all about the combat system, much like the rest of the game. the boss fights and how hard they are rests entirely on how good you are at the combat, and so to change that balance what you really have to do is change the combat system. health and damage changes wont really help unless they are to the point where you are able to take ridiculous amounts of damage or can kill bosses in 4 hits.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I spent 30 minutes getting the doing things the hard way trinket and it literally made me a better person

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Can't remember the name, it was the one with the five or six screen vertical jump with spikes everywhere

I know it was just a memorization thing but god that infuriated me like nothing else

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Klaus Kinski posted:

I really don't think making the bosses, which are the main roadblocks of any souls game, easier would be erasing the point of the game.

Getting owned while exploring a new area is fun and exciting, being careful when rounding a corner or crossing a frail bridge is fun. Corpserunning to a boss for the 20th time is not fun because you didn't know what direction to dodge on that particular attack is not.

You say this but I think DS2 would have been greatly improved by cutting a ton of superfluous and trivial bosses.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Klaus Kinski posted:

the boss fights are the highlights of the game idgi

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Phantasium posted:

You say this but I think DS2 would have been greatly improved by cutting a ton of superfluous and trivial bosses.

Post your DS2 hours played.

^^: Well, yes. But so are they in Gears of War etc, where they are not a difficulty spike compared to the rest of the game?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Klaus Kinski posted:

As a joke I looked up my stats on Steam and lol the top three games are just DS1, DS3, and then DS2.

And no, they're not crazy hours (68,49,49) as I rarely play games more than once anymore. I think I started a new playthrough of DS1 though at some point, no idea where that was.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Phantasium posted:

As a joke I looked up my stats on Steam and lol the top three games are just DS1, DS3, and then DS2.

And no, they're not crazy hours (68,49,49) as I rarely play games more than once anymore. I think I started a new playthrough of DS1 though at some point, no idea where that was.

That's still multiple replays of relatively short games.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Klaus Kinski posted:

^^: Well, yes. But so are they in Gears of War etc, where they are not a difficulty spike compared to the rest of the game?

i think there are some bosses which are difficulty spikes in some of the games. i also think there are some areas that are difficulty spikes in some of the games. i dont think bosses are as a general rule a difficulty spike. at all.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
The boss fights in ds3 really do skirt the line between fun and a loving muscle memory slog. Pointiff, dancer, twins, nk, too many mega aggressive bosses with endless combos. Once you get them down they're fun but sheesh

I say this a a seasoned veteran of the series/superior human being

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

n/m

Phantasium fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Dec 30, 2016

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Stux posted:

i think there are some bosses which are difficulty spikes in some of the games. i also think there are some areas that are difficulty spikes in some of the games. i dont think bosses are as a general rule a difficulty spike. at all.

From personal anecdotes and casual googling/forum reading, I'm pretty sure bosses are where most people get stuck.

Not necessarily bosses themselves, but the tedious loving corpserun on alot of them. DMC3 was really loving dumb when you had to replay they entire stage when you lost to the boss, the SE fixed that and it's generally considered the best DMCBAYONETTA ever.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Klaus Kinski posted:

That's still multiple replays of relatively short games.

They're only "short" in the sense that people can speed run them in a matter of hours (or less).

Taking 40-60 hours to play through any of them for the first time is the average.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Doctor Spaceman posted:

They're only "short" in the sense that people can speed run them in a matter of hours (or less).

Taking 40-60 hours to play through any of them for the first time is the average.

No, people do not take 40-60 hours to play through DS 1, 2 or 3 on average.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Klaus Kinski posted:

http://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=2224

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

If you say so.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Klaus Kinski posted:

https://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=2224

https://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=2225

https://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=26803

Are you sure? DS3 is the shortest one and it still averages at 30.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I think I'm near as damnit up to a thousand hours between Path of Exile and Final Fantasy 14

I need help

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Klaus Kinski posted:

Yeah they do.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Now, if you want something to really laugh at, the game with the next most hours on my list is Lords of Shadow 2.

It was bad but I liked it for some reason, idk.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Klaus Kinski posted:

From personal anecdotes and casual googling/forum reading, I'm pretty sure bosses are where most people get stuck.

Not necessarily bosses themselves, but the tedious loving corpserun on alot of them. DMC3 was really loving dumb when you had to replay they entire stage when you lost to the boss, the SE fixed that and it's generally considered the best DMCBAYONETTA ever.

that great but dark souls isnt a DMC style game

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Klaus Kinski posted:

lol

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Stux posted:

i just dont think its a feasible request without making an almost parallel game where the controls and combat are entirely different, and i think any easy mode wouldnt actually be any help to getting to the point of playing the game normally because it would need such huge changes to be viable.

not all games have to be accessible to everyone. no one is asking forza to put in an fps section to get more sales or make farming simulator into a football game. the "difficulty" from dark souls for new players is entirely down to having to learn the core mechanics of the game rather than any actually scalable difficulty and asking that to be changed is really asking for the game to be a different type of game on a fundamental level.

it's like desert solitaire

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
People using howlongtobeat to prove a point. Site in question says 15 hours for doom 2016 :psyduck:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's a self reporting website

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Klaus Kinski posted:

I takes me about 60 hours to beat each soulsgame the first time, and I'm a reasonably veteran soulsgamer. Subsequent runs take a lot less.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Klaus Kinski posted:

People using howlongtobeat to prove a point. Site in question says 15 hours for doom 2016 :psyduck:

I spent about 12 hours on Doom.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Klaus Kinski posted:

People using howlongtobeat to prove a point.
I could link to lots of threads on reddit and gamespot/gamefaqs and on other sites too if you like. Or say that it gels completely with my playtimes and the playtimes of people I know. Or point out that nobody here has agreed with you.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
I spent 50 hours playing Dark Souls 1 with advice on stats. "Don't raise resistance, place some points into dex." and proceeded to throw firebombs at the Tauros Demon and never used a plunging attack against it.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
you're wrong on this klaus, just give up

60 for DS1, 80 for DS2. another 60 for DS3, maybe 50-60 for BB? i forget

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I spent 15 hours on Central Yharnam in Bloodborne

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
I think you're proving the point well enough. I don't think I've ever spent more than 20h on a souls game, beaten them all and I'm the one advocating for a more lenient option :psyduck:

e: not bloodborne. sadly.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
now you're just plugging your ears and going lalalalalala

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

My first playthrough of bloodborne was 15 hours and I felt v good

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Re Dark Souls difficulty chat, the worst part is how the influence of Dark Souls has caused a whole bunch of indie devs to go "we're going to make it hard and have no difficulty options too!" but then being a small team and knowing the game inside out they're in a kinda clueless bubble about how difficult to make the game and while Dark Souls might have the draw to pull people through difficulty and therefore get away with being hard only, John Q Indie Game probably doesn't.

Anyway, adjustable difficulty is cool and good.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
did you really beat it in 15 hours, fresh and blind??

jesus gently caress y'all must have been some genius children or something, I'm not the fastest soul player but cmon son

E: adjustable difficulty is cool and good in games with lovely mechanics or boring gameplay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

lazorexplosion posted:

Re Dark Souls difficulty chat, the worst part is how the influence of Dark Souls has caused a whole bunch of indie devs to go "we're going to make it hard and have no difficulty options too!" but then being a small team and knowing the game inside out they're in a kinda clueless bubble about how difficult to make the game and while Dark Souls might have the draw to pull people through difficulty and therefore get away with being hard only, John Q Indie Game probably doesn't.

Anyway, adjustable difficulty is cool and good.

yes this

• Locked thread