Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Synthbuttrange posted:

Ugh player piece colors

I was going to say "What I totally want neon blue, neon green, etc as player colors" but then saw the BGG listing...

Here's my idea for a color blind friendly game: red, fuschia, orange, and lemon. Have fun, fuckers.

The End posted:

Now this is a helluva one two punch from the delivery driver.

A one two punch is what I would describe smoking crystal daschund

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

The End posted:

Now this is a helluva one two punch from the delivery driver.

God drat that's a nice sight.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Synthbuttrange posted:

Ugh player piece colors

lmao how the gently caress does this happen

'uh yeah, I always wanted a game where the four different sides are Black, Brown, Gray and Puke. It's more realistic'

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Synthbuttrange posted:

Walled City. I won by accident

I thought that was a map of Sachsenhausen at first :stonk:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

PaybackJack posted:

Played Codex a half a dozen times the past week with a couple different players. All positive responses. My friend who I play Mage Wars with liked it but he's not good at deck building but it was straightforward enough that he was able to figure out what was going on.

Last night was the best game I had so far with a total board game newbie and he loved it. I was at 4 base HP when I won so it was very close. He was playing pure White and I was pure Blue. He leveled his Strength hero up quickly and put me on a clock when he hit his second level band. Unfortunately, he then teched Heroes Monument and sped his clock up to three turns when I was at 12. I built the building that draws me a card when a unit comes into play an a bird soldier, next turn I played a guy that gets token when a unit comes into play and can give them to other units, then just blew threw my deck with nothing but units, built up a ten tokens and moved then onto the bird and swung for 15 in one hit. He didn't have time to drop an antiair after my bird so it was a total hail mary on my part, and I'm still not sure that a until can have more than one 1+/+1 token on it, I'll have to check that because seems like something that might be errata'd. I saw a similar unit in the Green units and used it to create some monsters there too.

Anyway, it was a great game and I didn't expect he'd pick it up so quickly. He later mentioned that it reminded him of a 10-year old PC game called Armageddon Empires so if you know that game and liked it, maybe check Codex.

The other games were much less close, in terms of final base HP, but the tier 3 level means the game will end very soon, even many of the tier two cards require immediate answers. Still fun and competitive, although it might feel like the end came out of nowhere if you aren't paying close attention and protecting yourself well.
Just finished a really cool, drawn out game of Codex today: mono-red Fire specced against a Feral mono-green. It wasn't close in terms of base HP but man it was a really close game. I managed to get two of my flying units out and my opponent had no counters, but my base was at 5 HP and got burst down before I could leverage my advantage. I, as Red, was struggling in the early game but some crucial plays meant that I had a turn where I destroyed both of my opponent's top-leveled heroes. Probably the best game I ever had so far and it was the first time my regular opponent managed my beat me as well! Unfortunately it seems that with some matchups, you can't get done in the hour I have for lunch, whoops.

As we get more experienced the game is really developing well and I'm enjoying the game more as I become more aware of how units interact.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Tekopo posted:

Just finished a really cool, drawn out game of Codex today: mono-red Fire specced against a Feral mono-green. It wasn't close in terms of base HP but man it was a really close game. I managed to get two of my flying units out and my opponent had no counters, but my base was at 5 HP and got burst down before I could leverage my advantage. I, as Red, was struggling in the early game but some crucial plays meant that I had a turn where I destroyed both of my opponent's top-leveled heroes. Probably the best game I ever had so far and it was the first time my regular opponent managed my beat me as well! Unfortunately it seems that with some matchups, you can't get done in the hour I have for lunch, whoops.

As we get more experienced the game is really developing well and I'm enjoying the game more as I become more aware of how units interact.

Red definitely seems like one of the harder factions to play because of the interaction of their cards and how they exert control/pressure on their opponent. Man though, did he nail the playstyle of classic "Red Deck Wins" M:tG decks! Sacrificing three units to kill a hero, wiping their board but leaving yours almost totally open, mixing damage sources to put the damage where you need it to open a whole in their defenses; it's perfect.

Green does a good job clogging the board with chump blockers, and they can accelerate very quickly into T2 from Circle of Life. Having 'Overrun' on a hero with a low level cap is huge too.

Very cool stuff, I am considering trying to figure out how to play online because I want to play more!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

My "Damaged" copy of 1830 from BGB showed up yesterday. I can't see any damage. Should I return it?

My friend who works in retail says that the corner has been crumpled but I can't see it

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

CommonShore posted:

My "Damaged" copy of 1830 from BGB showed up yesterday. I can't see any damage. Should I return it?

My friend who works in retail says that the corner has been crumpled but I can't see it

I'll be happy to take it off your hands if you're worried about it being in too good of shape.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

PaybackJack posted:

Red definitely seems like one of the harder factions to play because of the interaction of their cards and how they exert control/pressure on their opponent. Man though, did he nail the playstyle of classic "Red Deck Wins" M:tG decks! Sacrificing three units to kill a hero, wiping their board but leaving yours almost totally open, mixing damage sources to put the damage where you need it to open a whole in their defenses; it's perfect.

Green does a good job clogging the board with chump blockers, and they can accelerate very quickly into T2 from Circle of Life. Having 'Overrun' on a hero with a low level cap is huge too.

Very cool stuff, I am considering trying to figure out how to play online because I want to play more!
Let's just say that if you manage to find ways to keep a Fire hero alive and you have two Hotter Fires out, your opponent is gonna have a bad time. 5 damage by tapping Jaina, or 6 damage from a Flame Arrow, or a Bamstamper Lizzo that comes out with 5 damage is a godsend and it was the only thing that kept me in the game. The problem I was facing was that all those high-cost spells and upgrades meant that I was incredibly money-starved in the middle/end of the game, while my opponent was very money-rich due to having lots of chump blockers.

The best thing was my opponent getting out the tech 3 Feral unit, Moss Ancient, and hitting my base for 7 with a dino-sized squirrel, and I still managed to burn down his Moss Ancient with a combination of spells (even the basic red one does 4 damage with two Hotter Fires!) and character abilities.

I think my biggest issue was that I decided to tech for tech 3 at all, and even included the Fire ultimate spell, when in reality I would have been better served with more t1 chump blockers instead. I think going this far into the Fire spec really makes your deck a lot slower. I want to try a Blood rush deck next, could be pretty interesting, especially if I go with the worker/money denial route. Anarchy seems good but seems to be centered out of leveraging the pirate gunship, which is an amazing t3.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I went Fire in my one match as well. I was against Black so I was using Ramhorn at level 6 to give the Firebirds haste to float over my opponent and burn all his skeletons.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

CommonShore posted:

why would you return it

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

:sigh:

e. Pandemic Legacy was just delivered, too. And this fucker doesn't fit on my shelf in any sensible way.

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Dec 29, 2016

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

CommonShore posted:

:sigh:

e. Pandemic Legacy was just delivered, too. And this fucker doesn't fit on my shelf in any sensible way.

So your complaint is that you have too many games, and one of the ones you just got is in too good condition.

HMM.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I'd like to note down that I've recognized you're having a chuckle.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Just got invoiced for some Arcane Tinmen board game sleeves. Oh my god I'm so excited I'll have sleeves that will actually fit Argent's spell cards :unsmith:

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
I know this has been asked before but is 1846 a good entry point to the 18xx series?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Big McHuge posted:

I know this has been asked before but is 1846 a good entry point to the 18xx series?
Yes, it is, with the caveat that it's in the 1829 family of games and not the 1830, so it's more concerned with track building than market/shares shenanigans.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Gutter Owl posted:

There are two "textbook" openings:

A) The Horizontal Opening: Turn 1 Recruiting Girl, rush First to Hire 3.
  • Amass a huge wad of entry-level dorks.
  • The faster opening. Usually pair with $100-200 reserve.
  • Usually grabs some mix of First Billboard, First Errand Boy, and/or First to Throw Away.
  • Sometimes grabs a trainer to push a management trainee up the ladder towards Vice President
  • Can rush First Waitress to help support a couple salaried employees, for a mixed strategy.

B) The Vertical Opening: Turn 1 Trainer, rush First to Train
  • Focus towards a small number of high-quality employees.
  • The longer-term opening. Usually pair with $200-300 reserve.
  • Can parley easier into several high power strats, like Guru or New Housing Developer or Radio Flood.

Also matter what strategy you choose, every strategy needs to aim for the "First to $100" milestone. If one player takes it alone, that player will usually run away with the game.

That's interesting because those are the two opens I and another player took last game. But my "Vertical" seemed constraining, like my corp was too small and had too little power per employee - perhaps I was spreading out my train actions too much? I spent the whole game with only my CEO for hires and felt a lot of regret about that. I won off the back of a Discount Manager scooping nearly every food sale on the board for me, and the remarkable accrued secret value of not paying $15 of my salaries turn after turn. The other guy's "Horizontal," by contrast, didn't seem like the faster open at all. He ended up getting First to $20 of Salaries and then barfing out train actions to build a huge, powerful corp with the top-level VP and a bunch of other poo poo. Technically our game results were incomplete because we had to quit early; he was looking likely to beat me if he got a chance to leverage all that poo poo despite the tremendously fat cash edge I had. I guess we did it wrong.

Definitely understand the First to $100 though. My price-cutting and another guy's waitress kickline took us to that, while the engine-builder was too slow, and that's a lot of why I had like a $100 cash edge even as he got a turn or two of the engine firing off before we quit.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Has anyone played the new Ninja Turtles game? My wife loves TMNT and she's enjoyed Descent and Imperial Assault before, but since this doesn't have any customization you need to worry about I think she'd enjoy it a bit more.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

S.J. posted:

Just got invoiced for some Arcane Tinmen board game sleeves. Oh my god I'm so excited I'll have sleeves that will actually fit Argent's spell cards :unsmith:

oooh, link?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

burger time posted:

oooh, link?

Well I can't link you to the invoice specifically since it's for my job, but the specifics of the sleeves are on Arcane Tinmen's site.

http://www.arcanetinmen.dk/products/board-game-sleeves

The oversized sleeves specifically

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Dirk the Average posted:

It's nice, but why were you in a better place to exploit the demand that you're creating than your opponents? With a larger and more flexible organization, they absolutely should have been able to react to any demand that you put on the board and profited from it.

Combination of opponents racking up milestones instead of getting food production going, plus my position is central so I can hoover up excess demand, plus they seem to have focused on out competing one another for their shared local market. They're catching on/up but I'm ahead. If we were playing with the CFO bonus I'd probably have won already. (For some reason online games frequently leave out the CFO milestone and attract players who seek out building up sicknasty combos/bonuses as the foundation for a monster turn. I think they dislike CFO milestone because it "lets" people win too early or something.) I love the game but online play can be weird.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
If I don't win in the next turn or two I'm probably sunk as they will likely have employed every entry level person & can do anything they want by then.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Oops

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Dec 29, 2016

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

S.J. posted:

Has anyone played the new Ninja Turtles game? My wife loves TMNT and she's enjoyed Descent and Imperial Assault before, but since this doesn't have any customization you need to worry about I think she'd enjoy it a bit more.

I played it!

A friend of mine backed it at the works level.

It was really swingy. We played the first mission book. I won the second scenario because Ralph rolled all shrunken and killed the boss in one shot. I lost the third scenario because I had 5 turns to destroy a server and the game has roll to move. First 2 turns I got zero movement, even with rerolls.

I'd be alright with never playing it again.

Edit:

I think it would be best 2 player due to the action dice sharing mechanic. You get a puzzle every turn figuring out which actions you need to share and which you should reroll. I rolled garbage about every other turn, though, so I'd avoid it with anyone who is prone to tilt.

I played mechs vs minions for the first time the very next day, which scratched the same kind of turn planning / endless wave stomping itch but without being screwed by dice.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Dec 29, 2016

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Big McHuge posted:

Scuttlebutt says yes, I'm playing my first game with my newbie friends in a couple weeks so I'll let you know. So far I can say that the GMT rulebook is pretty good.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hey theres Feast for Odin on the shelves! I wonder how muchTWO HUNDRED DOLLARYDOOS?!?

Lol i knew the Australian dollar wasnt doing well but this ahahaha

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Hey theres Feast for Odin on the shelves! I wonder how muchTWO HUNDRED DOLLARYDOOS?!?

Holy gently caress.

Where?

:(

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Mind Games melb. Might be cheaper to order from overseas

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Synthbuttrange posted:

Mind Games melb. Might be cheaper to order from overseas

it's a lot cheaper on some Aussie sites, but they only have it listed for pre-order I think

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Mind Games says it all. Their prices have always been meh.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
I'm still reading through this thread, but has anyone played Level 99's Witch Hunt? It certainly sounds interesting, but I wonder if it's worth getting over ONUW or Avalon.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

it's a lot cheaper on some Aussie sites, but they only have it listed for pre-order I think

Which sites in particular?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Synthbuttrange posted:

Which sites in particular?

Games Paradise had for 155. It was cheaper on Gameology and Good Games but it's also sold out on them currently.

I've bought from Games Paradise before, but only in person (and not for anything that's harder to get, like this).

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
I got mine from Advent Games for $135 (see http://www.adventgames.com.au/Listing/search?keywords=feast+for+odin&searchType=2&sortItem=7&sortDirection=0 ) . Lists as out of stock but might be worth checking with them in case they are expecting more soon.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
I got mine by pre-ordering at my FLGS in Melbourne for $170 dollarydoos but they literally only ordered my copy because they weren't expecting big sales.

I've had it for around a week now, played it solo once and with other people twice. In my first solo game I didn't explore anything, just covered my home board, did some emigration and scored 79 points. Second game I explored Iceland, focused on trading actions and only covered up my home board at the end. I scored 95 which I think is okay. Third game I went raiding and took bear island (or whichever island flips first). Left it pretty late getting big tiles though and ended up with -20 points in minuses and not as many emigrations as I would have liked. Ended up mid 80's.

I have no idea how you people find the time to explore 3 islands, cover them and get some houses on top of that.

I also managed to play Keyflower, a few games of patchwork and my first game of scythe.

Scythe is fun. I didn't really understand much of the synergy or strategy so I wish I had of enlisted earlier and not spread out so thin as early as I did but it was still fun. Came 3rd out of 5 and if I had of been more observant I might have actually managed 1st or 2nd but got too greedy and looked long term when the game was close to finishing. I'll chalk that one up to lack of experience.

All of this was played in the last 3 days, all in all it's been a good week for board games.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Agent Rush posted:

I'm still reading through this thread, but has anyone played Level 99's Witch Hunt? It certainly sounds interesting, but I wonder if it's worth getting over ONUW or Avalon.

First I've heard of it. I'll try and whip up a PnP and try to get a game on NYE, probably the only time I'll have enough willing players to do it (the rulebook recommends 12(!) players for first timers). It looks to be a refinement of the vanilla Mafia formula which is fine, but there's a weird superiority undertone to the whole thing in regards to other games of the genre. It also appears super fiddly, pretty much requiring the companion app for the moderator to maintain sanity.

EBag
May 18, 2006

Amazon.ca has Scoville for 40% off, currently $36.

aaaand they're gone.

EBag fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Dec 30, 2016

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Synthbuttrange posted:

Gday mate....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Played Lanterns again with family and discovered it is, in fact, a Bad Game. One player got lucky draws that gave him 2 tokens and 3 lantern cards for each of his first 2 turns. From then on, he could dedicate every turn and there was no way anyone could catch him.