Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I work at *LARGE AEROSPACE COMPANY* and whenever you log on to a shared workstation if you want to print you need to walk over to a printer, read it's sticker, then go through the steps of adding a network printer to the system. I don't want to hear any whining about having to do a similar thing OR about expecting IT to automate things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Jago posted:

I work at *LARGE AEROSPACE COMPANY* and whenever you log on to a shared workstation if you want to print you need to walk over to a printer, read it's sticker, then go through the steps of adding a network printer to the system. I don't want to hear any whining about having to do a similar thing OR about expecting IT to automate things.

lmao poo poo look at this guy bragging about printers you need to print on being on your network

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

mayodreams posted:

If only there were tools to standardize settings, software, and computers!

That's still no excuse for Windows doing terrible things. I'm not an IT guy, but every single time I do a semi-large Win10 patch on my home systems it resets all my file associations. Why? gently caress you, that's why. I have come to loathe patches (even though I'm on the deferred channel) because it means resetting every single file preference on four separate PCs. It just used to be the Anniversary patch and poo poo but now it's happening on minor patches too. And at first Microsoft's response was "you're not doing it right, you need to let Windows do it, other applications set it wrong and Windows is just fixing the registry for you :downs:" but I am setting it through the "Open With" menu and it still resets every goddamned patch. I can't think of any legitimate reason for this still happening years after launch except for MS wanting to push their own apps. And they're probably spying on me anyway.

Jago posted:

Get with the times, we have shortcuts on a network share that we can double click that import the printer.

...since it's a shared workstation, you would also think that it would be loaded from a base system image every boot/login/etc.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Dec 29, 2016

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I've never experienced anything like that with a windows update. I think you're doing it wrong.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Paul MaudDib posted:

That's still no excuse for Windows doing terrible things. I'm not an IT guy, but every single time I do a semi-large Win10 patch on my home systems it resets all my file associations. Why? gently caress you, that's why. I have come to loathe patches (even though I'm on the deferred channel) because it means resetting every single file preference on four separate PCs. It just used to be the Anniversary patch and poo poo but now it's happening on minor patches too. And at first Microsoft's response was "you're not doing it right, you need to let Windows do it, other applications set it wrong and Windows is just fixing the registry for you :downs:" but I am setting it through the "Open With" menu and it still resets every goddamned patch. I can't think of any legitimate reason for this still happening years after launch except for MS wanting to push their own apps. And they're probably spying on me anyway.

Get with the times, we have shortcuts on a network share that we can double click that import the printer.

...since it's a shared workstation, you would also think that it would be loaded from a base system image every boot/login/etc.

I am an IT guy and I have NEVER heard about a Windows update resetting file associations. I have 3 Windows 10 physicals and a number of virtuals between home and work.

Also lol at a shared workstation with printers shared. The real answer you are looking for is a print server and Group Policy defined printers.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

penus penus penus posted:

lmao poo poo look at this guy bragging about printers you need to print on being on your network

Yeah, except it's important to verify you're printing on your expected printer. For national security reasons.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Paul MaudDib posted:

Oh yeah, and every time you log onto a system for the first time it has to build your profile. Not that your desktop or documents carry over at all, nope, fresh desktops at the 3-12 computers you need to log in on to do your job. Only way to give yourself information (like links to systems, shares, and applications) is through the notes feature in outlook. Sheesh.

This is way OT, remember the Phenom II X3 720? Is was good until the second I switched to this 2550k like 6 years ago lol.

LRADIKAL fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Dec 29, 2016

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Jago posted:

Oh yeah, and every time you log onto a system for the first time it has to build your profile. Not that your desktop or documents carry over at all, nope, fresh desktops at the 3-12 computers you need to log in on to do your job. Only way to give yourself information (like links to systems, shares, and applications) is through the notes feature in outlook. Sheesh.

It sounds like your IT department is staffed by clowns.
Building a new profile is default behaviour. But you're not supposed to leave it like that. I feel for any company not using workspace management/UEM in $CURRENTYEAR.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

NihilismNow posted:

It sounds like your IT department is staffed by clowns.
Building a new profile is default behaviour. But you're not supposed to leave it like that. I feel for any company not using workspace management/UEM in $CURRENTYEAR.

My organization's computers work this way, but with thousands of computers and maybe 15,000 active users. It is indeed clownish.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
There are automation control PC's running Windows that are segmented from the internet. There are no internal NTP servers. Sucks when the machines want to run minutes into lunch break.

Lol, 15k users? Minor league ;)

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I've actually had the file association thing happen - whenever I do a major update (the ones that are essentially in place OS upgrades, not just patches. They also tend to reenable all the advertising crap in the start menu, and re download all the junk apps and games that I delete as soon as I've installed windows. Basically windows is taking a leaf out of the old school android handbook at this point, and I'm not at all amused.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

The Lord Bude posted:

I've actually had the file association thing happen - whenever I do a major update (the ones that are essentially in place OS upgrades, not just patches. They also tend to reenable all the advertising crap in the start menu, and re download all the junk apps and games that I delete as soon as I've installed windows. Basically windows is taking a leaf out of the old school android handbook at this point, and I'm not at all amused.

You're holding it wrong.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Works for me

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

GutBomb posted:

I've never experienced anything like that with a windows update. I think you're doing it wrong.

mayodreams posted:

I am an IT guy and I have NEVER heard about a Windows update resetting file associations. I have 3 Windows 10 physicals and a number of virtuals between home and work.

OK there buddy.

quote:

If you have Chrome as the default browser on your Windows 10 computer, you'd better check to make sure Microsoft didn't hijack it last week and set Edge as your new default. The same goes for any PDF viewer: A forced cumulative update also reset PDF viewing to Edge on many PCs.

Do you use IrfanView, Acdsee, Photoshop Express, or Elements? The default photo app may have been reset to -- you guessed it -- the Windows Photos app. Music? Video? Microsoft may have swooped down and changed you over to Microsoft Party apps, all in the course of last week's forced cumulative update KB 3135173 .
http://www.infoworld.com/article/3032751/microsoft-windows/windows-10-forced-update-kb-3135173-changes-browser-and-other-defaults.html

quote:

MICROSOFT HAS told The INQUIRER that it is aware of a bug which has been causing users' default programs to switch to the bundled Microsoft options.

The saga began when a reader told us that, despite being a long time user of Irfanview as his primary photo app, he was greeted with a message saying: 'A default app has been reset,' only to discover that his new photo app was Photos, the bundled offering.

He traced the problem back to KB3135173, a cumulative update issued for February which was pushed out as an update last week. After deleting the update, he discovered the next day that Windows had reinstalled it, and reset the defaults again.

Now a Microsoft spokesman has told INQ, "We are aware of this issue that some customers are experiencing, and are actively working to resolve it." which at least rules out yet another 'we know what's good for you' decision.

Other users have reported similar problems with IE 11 being reset to Edge, and the stock video player being changed back despite the fact that it doesn't support some of the formats for which it is making it the default.
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2447177/updategate-windows-10-is-resetting-default-apps-back-to-microsoft-stock

And there's tons and tons of Microsoft support threads and Reddit threads complaining about exactly this problem. This is still happening repeatedly with the "cumulative" patches and the Anniversary Patch and so on, on an ongoing basis.

Microsoft's explanation of "apps are setting associations wrong and messing up the registry" is totally BS, ever since they said that I've been setting file associations through the "open with" right-click menu, so if something's screwing up the file associations it's Windows. Patches still reset my file associations reliably across every single one of my Win10 machines.

By the way, care to explain how exactly am I "doing an update wrong"? I click "restart and update" when it prompts me to, what exactly am I supposed to be doing beyond that, Mr IT Genius?

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Dec 30, 2016

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Paul MaudDib posted:

OK there buddy.

By the way, care to explain how exactly am I "doing an update wrong"? I click "restart and update" when it prompts me to, what exactly am I supposed to be doing beyond that, Mr IT Genius?

I'm going to take a wild stab in the dark and assume you upgraded from Win 7/8 to 10. Upgrade installs cause weird poo poo like that and also explains why in corporate environments this does not happen because most of the time those images are done from clean install media rather than upgrading a current machine and capturing that image for deployment. Also why it's Reddit people and not IT pros. You can upgrade Windows Server in place too and that an even worse idea.

mayodreams fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Dec 30, 2016

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

mayodreams posted:

I'm going to take a wild stab in the dark and assume you upgraded from Win 7/8 to 10. Upgrade install cause weird poo poo like that and also explain why in corporate environments this does not happen because most of the time those images are done from clean install media rather than upgrading a current machine and capturing that image for deployment.

Nope, upgraded and then wiped and did a clean install from USB media (deleted and recreated the partition).

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
I do think the fact that some people aren't experiencing this issue when doing large upgrades, at least on some of their systems, indicates that it might be a legit bug (which is still an OK thing to be mad at MS for) and not an evil plot to push first-party apps on people.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Eletriarnation posted:

I do think the fact that some people aren't experiencing this issue when doing large upgrades, at least on some of their systems, indicates that it might be a legit bug (which is still an OK thing to be mad at MS for) and not an evil plot to push first-party apps on people.

Or, the people who aren't experiencing the issue are IT professionals who are running Enterprise versions of Windows, where Microsoft is very clearly not applying the same rules as their Home/Pro consumer versions re: "windows experience" (i.e. advertising), telemetry, or forced patching. Maybe they're not resetting associations for enterprise users because they're the ones who are actually paying money for the product?

Windows 10 is turning into a mobile app. There's the "free" version and the paid version.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

But as a home user I can't actually pay for the app. I'd rather pay 300€ for no crapware Windows than 0€ for this shitshow.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Yea Win10 has had it's share of bugs as they have gone along, but considering how 10 is a complete change from the old Windows ways, the positives do outweigh the negatives and the bugs do get worked out in time.

If you can't handle the few that do slip through the official builds though, stay out of the Insider builds. They tend to get bugs introduced and fixed rather quickly with new builds, but they can be some nasty bugs for a few builds in some cases.

(Like the Intel GM945-X4500 iGPU stuff where all the new Win10 GUI render stuff, didn't render anything outsdie of white boxes until you went back to the Windows Display Adapter Software driver to do thing. It was stupid and like that for like 6 builds lol. The finally fixed it, but drat if it wasn't almost like they were going to stop supporting the old iGPU's for abit there for no good reason other than, upgrade or die.

Fortunately that wasn't the case, but yea. Bugs bugs bugs.

The stuff coming in the Creator update does look fantastic though.

I will agree that each build bringing the "Try Office" and "Soda Pop" crap reinstalling each build is annoying every time though. They do need to knock that crap off, but I assume that helps them pay for Windows a bit considering it is mostly Free this time around and probably into the future.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

mayodreams posted:

If only there were tools to standardize settings, software, and computers!

Goddamn internet geniuses.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

EdEddnEddy posted:

Yea Win10 has had it's share of bugs as they have gone along, but considering how 10 is a complete change from the old Windows ways, the positives do outweigh the negatives and the bugs do get worked out in time.

If you can't handle the few that do slip through the official builds though, stay out of the Insider builds. They tend to get bugs introduced and fixed rather quickly with new builds, but they can be some nasty bugs for a few builds in some cases.
I will agree that each build bringing the "Try Office" and "Soda Pop" crap reinstalling each build is annoying every time though. They do need to knock that crap off, but I assume that helps them pay for Windows a bit considering it is mostly Free this time around and probably into the future.

Yeah I agree, on the whole it's pretty decent, it's just some of the little stuff that adds up over time. I can only reset all my file associations so many times before I get annoyed.

The worst part is I am actually on the "deferred" update channel (which in theory should be the same thing the business users are getting) with all my PCs. I actually don't know if that might be making things worse - since I might be getting fewer small patches and more of the "big" cumulative patches that seem to be the culprits with resetting my settings.

Ihmemies posted:

But as a home user I can't actually pay for the app. I'd rather pay 300€ for no crapware Windows than 0€ for this shitshow.

Actually at this point it's not even supposed to be free anymore. You can still do upgrades if you "use accessibility features", but that's supposed to be for disabled people only, not for the general public. So you're paying money for a "free" app - quite a bit in fact. The Microsoft store wants $200 for a copy of Windows 10 Pro, and it still has ads and installs apps and poo poo.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Dec 30, 2016

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Paul MaudDib posted:

Or, the people who aren't experiencing the issue are IT professionals who are running Enterprise versions of Windows, where Microsoft is very clearly not applying the same rules as their Home/Pro consumer versions re: "windows experience" (i.e. advertising), telemetry, or forced patching. Maybe they're not resetting associations for enterprise users because they're the ones who are actually paying money for the product?

Windows 10 is turning into a mobile app. There's the "free" version and the paid version.

OK, well I personally don't recall seeing this behavior on my home machine and am not running Enterprise at home, so I'll continue to keep the theory that it's a bug at the top of my list until I see something more concrete. Believe what you wish.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

mayodreams posted:

I once had Windows go nuts and make me confirm every file association whenever I opened a certain filetype for the first time, i.e. that stupid Choose App dialog every drat time. Happened after the goddamn Anniversary update.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

The Microsoft store wants $200 for a copy of Windows 10 Pro, and it still has ads and installs apps and poo poo.

Enterprise still has ads for minecraft and bejeweled and other app store poo poo.
You can probably turn it off by GPO but by default Microsoft wants enterprise customers to see Minecraft, MSNBC and Xbox live on their start menu.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
If games used Vulkan I'd use Linux at home, honestly.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Man AMD sure hosed up with Windows 10, hopefully Intel can do better!

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Just another in the long list of AMD's questionable business decisions

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
As far as windows goes Ryzen is only supported on win10 or Server 2k16, so it kind of is AMD related.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Paul MaudDib posted:

Actually at this point it's not even supposed to be free anymore. You can still do upgrades if you "use accessibility features", but that's supposed to be for disabled people only, not for the general public. So you're paying money for a "free" app - quite a bit in fact. The Microsoft store wants $200 for a copy of Windows 10 Pro, and it still has ads and installs apps and poo poo.

if you don't buy the OEM version of Windows10 from your local electronics store for $109

Setset fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Dec 30, 2016

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

PerrineClostermann posted:

If games used Vulkan I'd use Linux at home, honestly.

Wine has come quite far lately. In addition to quite a few games nowadays having linux versions, wine's DirectX implementation is quite good. Not ideal, not perfect, but quite good. There's nothing stopping you from at least dual-booting.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

The googles have been caching all your personal data and serving ads based on it into practically everything on the loving web that you've looked at for free for a goddamn decade.

Meanwhile I have gotten all of two ads on my lock screen since release. Maybe it's because I'm running Insider Fast, maybe it's :tinfoil:, or maybe this isn't nearly as big of a loving problem as people are making it out to be.

IMO the ideologies of the cult that created GNU/Linux are worse but that's just my terrible microshill hot take

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Volguus posted:

Wine has come quite far lately. In addition to quite a few games nowadays having linux versions, wine's DirectX implementation is quite good. Not ideal, not perfect, but quite good. There's nothing stopping you from at least dual-booting.

My SSD's capacity is, unfortunately. And my autistical need to never close chrome.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I can't imagine anything I'd rather do less than gently caress around with Wine in 2017. It's right up there with trying to compile my own drivers or something.

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA

Pryor on Fire posted:

I can't imagine anything I'd rather do less than gently caress around with Wine in 2017. It's right up there with trying to compile my own drivers or something.

Eh. It's nothing like loving around with wine in, say, 2010.

You also have wrappers like PlaysOnLinux which apparently does almost everything for you.

That said I'd pay good money for Blizzard to port their poo poo to linux.

e: the AMD gfx experience is getting to be very, very good on linux. It's the reason I bought an RX480, so if Ryzen is good, my next computer could very well be all-AMD. First AMD cpu I'd have since the Athlon days.. Going to feel weird.

kujeger fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Dec 30, 2016

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
At the end of the day it depends what you're doing on the computer most of the time. If it's gaming, then sorry, linux won't cut it. You want windows, and you need to put up with whatever Microsoft throws at you. If gaming is a secondary thing, then linux may be an alternative, but you may already know that by now.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Depending on what sort of productivity stuff you're doing, Linux is out, too. I laud what some open source projects do, but they still can't hold a candle to the commercial projects. For some random tinkering, maybe, but not larger projects. I mean, if you don't have the financial means like companies do, you might be poo poo out of luck, but let's face it, usually it's :filez: at that point, anyway (even if there's Linux versions of the applications).

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

I just check the first page to check for any new on the zen and it's not been updated for at least 4 years! Could someone knowledgeable start a new thread?

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
I'd be happy to just redo this one's OP, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Sure. But we still know exactly zero hard specs about Zen other than at the top of the line, it will have eight cores and sixteen threads, and a dual-channel DDR4 controller.

Anything else is "at least 3.4GHz", "expected to have USB3", or "the demo chip was 95W TDP".

I say we see what the actual specs are. Then update.

• Locked thread