Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

QuarkJets posted:

possibly even nationalization of the transmission grid.

Which one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Pander posted:

That read like a C+ screed from your 100 level Environmental Engineering for Homeopaths ("How Energy Makes You Feel") class, co7ote.

Almost to a person the desire for nuclear power in the thread stems around the reduction of greenhouse emissions, not libertarian politics.

And I am not sure what other points you're trying to make, that O&M costs aren't calculated in nuclear power proposals? Because they really are. The death and cleanup of a plant is built into its overnight costs in the planning phase.

O&M is included in real nuclear power proposals, which is why they don't get built. Meanwhile, goons shake their first as the safety requirements and claim, with no evidence, that nuclear can be cheaper and still just as safe if we deregulate the industry a bit.

People handwave the energy and carbon cost of nuclear fuel production all the time in this thread by saying "breeders" or "thorium" as if changing our nuclear fuel cycle is nbd.

We have a least one gas power plant in the US that solely exists to power the decommissioning of a nuclear plant. So yeah, this thread does tend to dismiss lifecycle concerns for nuclear.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete

coyo7e posted:

My first Energy Trumper! Congrats - would you care to share the science behind your claim?

What's your theory of nuclear waste disposal? Adding it to fly-ash and concrete in residential buildings? That's a favorite of mine

Do people actually advocate that? Wow.

Anyway, coyo7e, you're assuming a hostile audience when there really isn't one. Relax, we're all friends here. I think.

Nuclear is popular with this thread because it provides a huge amount of power, no greenhouse gas emissions (important bit here), and is not nearly as location dependent as wind, solar, hydro, geothermal, tidal and wave.

There's also been a lot of talk about how new reactor designs would reduce waste to a considerable degree by recycling it, but you know, it takes decades to build these designs for various reasons.

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

coyo7e posted:

So yeah I wanna get that out way in front, because I'm seeing a lot of :sperger: level nuclear math

Please self-reflect on your own nonsense and get back when you can write something coherent, dude.

RDevz
Dec 7, 2002

Wasn't me Guv

Trabisnikof posted:

O&M is included in real nuclear power proposals, which is why they don't get built. Meanwhile, goons shake their first as the safety requirements and claim, with no evidence, that nuclear can be cheaper and still just as safe if we deregulate the industry a bit.

People handwave the energy and carbon cost of nuclear fuel production all the time in this thread by saying "breeders" or "thorium" as if changing our nuclear fuel cycle is nbd.

We have a least one gas power plant in the US that solely exists to power the decommissioning of a nuclear plant. So yeah, this thread does tend to dismiss lifecycle concerns for nuclear.

A Study was commissioned into the full lifecycle CO2 emissions of a pretty standard Generation 3 Westinghouse PWR (In this case, Sizewell B, which is pretty similar to a couple of SNUPPS stations from the late 80s/early 90s in the US). Including construction, fuel mining, fabrication, and disposal, the total emissions came out at 6g CO2eq/kWh. Siemens claim 5g CO2eq/kWh for their wind turbines. So, the handwaving of the carbon cost of nuclear fuel production is justified.

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Concordat posted:

There's also been a lot of talk about how new reactor designs would reduce waste to a considerable degree by recycling it, but you know, it takes decades to build these designs for various reasons.

Sure the initial planning for a large scale nuclear rollout would be long, but with a standerdized reactor design there is no reason at all for the building of a power plant to be decades unless you mean because of regulation delays and poo poo? The actual construction really isn't anything that crazy.

I mean the large hadron collider took only 30 years to build (and only about 5 billion US dollars in cost), and that project is wayyyy more ambitious than a nuclear power plant, the technology of which we are very well acquainted in comparison.

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Trabisnikof posted:

I don't think pro-nuclear people want to deregulate safety requirements on reactors, they want to eliminate the batshit restrictions in the US that make it unreasonable to upgrade old reactors to safer, modern specs. So its more like, hey get rid of this dumb restrictions so we _can_ have safe nuclear not "get rid of restrictions and let the market take care of it and then we'll have nuclear because then the cost of investment is lower!" like weirdo libertarians do with other poo poo.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

RDevz posted:

A Study was commissioned into the full lifecycle CO2 emissions of a pretty standard Generation 3 Westinghouse PWR (In this case, Sizewell B, which is pretty similar to a couple of SNUPPS stations from the late 80s/early 90s in the US). Including construction, fuel mining, fabrication, and disposal, the total emissions came out at 6g CO2eq/kWh. Siemens claim 5g CO2eq/kWh for their wind turbines. So, the handwaving of the carbon cost of nuclear fuel production is justified.

So even by your own studies it shows Nuclear has an LCA co2eq higher than wind, so why should we handwave it away instead of discuss it?

A discussion over the relative ways to lower those lifecycle emissions, or the like seems vastly more enjoyable to me than just saying "the fuel cycle isn't a worthwhile topic of discussion because the facts aren't clearly pro-nuke."

I like Nuclear personally, but I recognize that the reasons they aren't getting built at the rate boosters want isn't because of PR or environmentalists but because power companies don't really want to build them.

Feral Integral posted:

I don't think pro-nuclear people want to deregulate safety requirements on reactors, they want to eliminate the batshit restrictions in the US that make it unreasonable to upgrade old reactors to safer, modern specs. So its more like, hey get rid of this dumb restrictions so we _can_ have safe nuclear not "get rid of restrictions and let the market take care of it and then we'll have nuclear because then the cost of investment is lower!" like weirdo libertarians do with other poo poo.

I have heard about this as much. Which generation stations do people want to upgrade to be safer but can't because of regulations?

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Nov 18, 2016

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I think the issue is nimbyism rather then regulation. Pretty sure I've never advocated deregulating anything in my life, regardless.

RDevz
Dec 7, 2002

Wasn't me Guv

Trabisnikof posted:

So even by your own studies it shows Nuclear has an LCA co2eq higher than wind, so why should we handwave it away instead of discuss it?

A discussion over the relative ways to lower those lifecycle emissions, or the like seems vastly more enjoyable to me than just saying "the fuel cycle isn't a worthwhile topic of discussion because the facts aren't clearly pro-nuke."

I like Nuclear personally, but I recognize that the reasons they aren't getting built at the rate boosters want isn't because of PR or environmentalists but because power companies don't really want to build them.

Why handwave? Because coal and gas are a couple of orders of magnitude higher. The difference between the two is one eighthundredth of the overall emissions of a coal power station.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Trabi, where you see slightly higher CO2, I see roughly equal CO2. That's important given the scale of power available from nuclear and it's capacity to operate independent of local weather conditions.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

Because wind is more or less universally acknowledged as 'green' or 'clean' energy. Nuclear's lifetime CO2 emissions being within 20% strikes me as plenty of reason to consider nuclear clean as well.

Trabisnikof posted:

Who cares what power companies want? Power companies make financial decisions, and nuclear plants are the perfect storm of being hard to justify to private investors. The costs are enormously up-front, the projects are massive and indivisible (wind for example also has its costs front-loaded, but projects can be done in phases, with generation starting on some turbines while others are still going up), and the worst case scenario means there's always a very expensive risk (or very expensive insurance) hanging over the project.

Building nuclear plants is as simple as having the federal government borrowing some cheap, cheap money and building them itself. No organization in the world is better equipped to take a long-term view and shoulder this risk than the US government. As a bonus, it's one of the few organizations training nuclear engineers in appreciable numbers! If we are serious about reducing carbon emissions, this is the most direct (read: not a combination of disparate generation, transmission, and storage mechanisms) and well-understood way to transition baseline generation to clean energy.

Of course none of this is going to happen in the current political environment, but surely throwing your hands up because investments in nuclear look poorly on some company's quarterly results is not the best approach.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Nov 18, 2016

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Trabisnikof posted:

O&M is included in real nuclear power proposals, which is why they don't get built.

Because they're not included in other power proposals. If coal plants had to pay for the safe disposal of plant waste, it wouldn't have such a cost advantage over nuclear.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

coyo7e posted:

I've only gotten through uhh, 12 pages of the thread so far however it seem to have (at least begun with) a strongly libertarian, pro-nuclear slant, so I want to be full and upfront about my angle before someone starts throwing talking points at me, etc.

This thread has improved a lot. You shouldn't judge the contents of the entire thread based on the first 12 pages. The OP of the thread is filled with a bunch of misinformation and pro-nuclear propaganda, and like the first half of this thread is filled with internet science nerds throwing tantrums about environmentalists and about how the government doesn't understand that nuclear energy is a slam-dunk technology.

That aspect of the thread has definitely been tempered and people are way more level-headed and less delusional now.

IronClaymore
Jun 30, 2010

by Athanatos

Concordat posted:

Nuclear is popular with this thread because it provides a huge amount of power, no greenhouse gas emissions (important bit here), and is not nearly as location dependent as wind, solar, hydro, geothermal, tidal and wave.

Naaaaah. I mean, no one cares about the costs, it's all the hype. (Especially no one caring about the greenhouse gas stuff.) But you know the real thing, the fun thing, about nuclear power? Per joule, or kilowatt hour, or BTU, or whatever, it kills less people. I mean, if you exist on a coal-powered grid, and run a heater in winter, or air conditioner in summer, you know people have died to produce that energy, right? Coal mines collapse, kids live near the power plants and get asthma and maybe get attacks and no epipen. I live with the knowledge that some dude right now is suffocating while still receiving 100% oxygen, that dude is dying, from lung cancer, right now, because the electricity I use to type this comes from lignite (the worst coal). Like, every second I am able to type, and transmit internet messages to California, it translates to real human suffering.

There are huge health issues with every form of power generation. Even solar and wind. Wasn't there some massive leak from a rare-earths refinery in Malasia a couple of decades ago? Not quite a Bhopal level thing but it was bad. You write it off as a few K. They were only refining metals for cell phones, and maybe a bit for solar panels too.

But one nuclear disaster that merely kills several dozen? Everyone goes nuts! Nations begin phasing out their own nukes, spiking energy prices, causing more elderly people to die of cold because they can't pay energy bills than those who died during the initial meltdown. Taints the entire concept of nuclear power. Doesn't matter that coal releases more radioactive particles in to the atmosphere. Doesn't matter that oil contributes more to proliferation and international terrorism (does ISIS still control any refineries? because all you need is a refinery and any semi-competent engineer and you have unlimited explosives). Doesn't matter that solar panel installation kills more people in a year than nuclear power has in its entire lifetime. Doesn't matter that wind is basically owned by China and their rare earths mining corporations, and you know, kudos to them (I'll send my resume ;)). People just hate nuclear.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

No, goons shake their fist because of the double standard. The double standard can be fixed by internalizing all of the costs of carbon power.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat

Trabisnikof posted:

I do research in nuclear safety.

The current regulations are full of unnecessary conservatism where we could reduce engineering efforts and still have plants that meet the current standards of risk.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Istvun posted:

I do research in nuclear safety.

The current regulations are full of unnecessary conservatism where we could reduce engineering efforts and still have plants that meet the current standards of risk.

What have we overengineered / over-regulated?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Potato Salad posted:

What have we overengineered / over-regulated?

Off the top of my head ALARA is poo poo and yearly limits should be increased for rad workers, with strict short term limits instead. Avoid acute dosage, but allow more over longer periods. That'd give more operational freedom for plants, less avoidance of routine work due to yearly/lifetime limits.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Pander posted:

Off the top of my head ALARA is poo poo and yearly limits should be increased for rad workers, with strict short term limits instead. Avoid acute dosage, but allow more over longer periods. That'd give more operational freedom for plants, less avoidance of routine work due to yearly/lifetime limits.

I certainly agree that there are regulations we can loosen and safety might not be impacted, I just am not convinced that would make a meaningful difference in cost to operate nuclear plants for power companies.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
China has a plan for some of their coal plants - convert them to pebble bed nuclear plants.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Bates posted:

China has a plan for some of their coal plants - convert them to pebble bed nuclear plants.

A :jeb: plan I can get behind. Really, once you're outside of containment, things like generators do not have to be super special just because the heat they operate on comes from ~atomz~ rather than from fire, so if you can fit and shield a reactor in a hollowed-out coal plant why not.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

blowfish posted:

A :jeb: plan I can get behind. Really, once you're outside of containment, things like generators do not have to be super special just because the heat they operate on comes from ~atomz~ rather than from fire, so if you can fit and shield a reactor in a hollowed-out coal plant why not.

Nuclear Engineers: those creepy wasps that kill things and lay their eggs inside the corpse.

I dig it, using existing infrastructure as part of nuke plants to cut costs is really cool

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The Swiss are having a referendum to ban nuclear power because "Fukushima". It's currently 40% of their energy :v:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-38120559

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

The Swiss are having a referendum to ban nuclear power because "Fukushima". It's currently 40% of their energy :v:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-38120559

Ah yes, the ever-present danger of mountain tsunamis. I predict they will vote to ban it because there'll be a ton of outraged pseudo-environmentalists and NIMBYs Spießers turning out against nuclear power while people who recognise nuclear power is a useful thing to have (or who at least realise replacing 40% of power generation is hard to do overnight) can't be bothered to show up for yet another referendum.

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Nov 27, 2016

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Trabisnikof posted:

The co2 figure for wind power doesn't include the co2 costs of constructing an energy storage facility which would need to exist for a kw/hr of wind power to be equivalent to a kw/hr of nuclear power.

Given the inefficiencies of energy storage, and construction costs of such facilities, that's... uh... a huge amount of co2 emissions being written off of wind power in this comparison.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

blowfish posted:

Ah yes, the ever-present danger of mountain tsunamis. I predict they will vote to ban it because there'll be a ton of outraged pseudo-environmentalists and NIMBYs Spießers turning out against nuclear power while people who recognise nuclear power is a useful thing to have (or who at least realise replacing 40% of power generation is hard to do overnight) can't be bothered to show up for yet another referendum.

Hmm, looks like I'll probably end up being wrong (currently 56% against the overly rushed nuclear exit).

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

blowfish posted:

Hmm, looks like I'll probably end up being wrong (currently 56% against the overly rushed nuclear exit).

quote:

Although many Swiss do worry about the safety of their elderly nuclear plants, fears that a rapid shut down could cause energy shortages and even blackouts proved stronger.
Over a third of Swiss energy comes from nuclear power. Switzerland is currently ranked as the world's most competitive economy, and voters don't want to do anything to undermine that.
Oh my god a sensible level of concern.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
No, the Swiss referendum system only does dumb regressive things if it's unlikely to harm the economy, such as banning minarets.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Quorum posted:

No, the Swiss referendum system only does dumb regressive things if it's unlikely to harm the economy, such as banning minarets.

Yeah I was about to say something about the Swiss electorate being smart and reasonable but then I remembered they, too, are often dumb fuckers.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Fukushima cost estimates approach $200 billion:

quote:

Yesterday, the Nikkei news service reported that the Japanese government is expecting the aftermath of the Fukushima nuclear meltdowns to cost nearly double its earlier estimates. Citing government sources, the report says the total expenses will run at least $176 billion and are likely to rise even further in the future.

The new estimates include over $70 billion for compensation payments to citizens affected by the meltdowns, an increase of nearly 50 percent. Decontamination of the region around the Fukushima site is now pegged at over $40 billion, roughly double the previous estimate.

But the big increases come from interim storage of radioactive materials and the decommissioning of the reactors themselves. Water continues to be pumped into the reactors themselves to keep the radioactive material cool enough to remain solid. That water becomes highly contaminated and must be stored until the radioactive material can be separated back out. Simply holding that material until it was processed had originally been estimated to cost about $10 billion, but it's now recognized that this figure will be woefully insufficient.

I'm not sure how much can be generalized from this, aside from the obvious that Fukushima is a mess and building nuclear reactors near sea level isn't super smart. However it certainly provides more ammunition against wider adoption of nuclear power in western nations, which is unfortunate for climate change mitigation efforts.

It's also worth emphasizing that the Japanese state is effectively supporting TEPCO and subsidizing the cleanup at this point. Is it fair to say that private sector nuclear power is effectively cheaper than it should be as corporations implicitly or explicitly plan on not paying the full cost of a disaster? Either the state steps in to help pay cleanup costs or the company can always just file for bankruptcy.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

It should be used as an example of why upgrading/replacing your old-rear end nuclear power plants is a necessary thing. Instead it will be used to justify the shutdown of entire nuclear power programs.

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010
They use the sea as a heat sink, essentially all power plants that use steam boilers need a heat sink of some sort. Lakes rivers also work but powerplants can raise the temperature of rivers to ecological disastrous degrees.

Basically all that fukushima needed was its backup generators protected from the wave, elevated or such.

Coal is horribly subsidized by government already (healthcare). And large industrial disasters often get government support. Including dams failing.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

BattleMoose posted:

They use the sea as a heat sink, essentially all power plants that use steam boilers need a heat sink of some sort. Lakes rivers also work but powerplants can raise the temperature of rivers to ecological disastrous degrees.

Basically all that fukushima needed was its backup generators protected from the wave, elevated or such.

Coal is horribly subsidized by government already (healthcare). And large industrial disasters often get government support. Including dams failing.

Also note that the like 10 and more years newer reactors at the Daiichi site (where the meltdowns happened) and the Daiini site (where none did) were perfectly fine, simply because of minor improvements to the architecture and backup system design.

And also note that the two reactors that had serious issues at Daiichi had been scheduled to be permanently shut down in 2012 and 2013 with replacements for them on site intended to be ready by now. If the quake had struck like a year later, the one that broke down the worst would already be in permanent shutdown and removal process, and without that having explosions and poo poo the other one that had issues might have been just fine after the tsunami, albeit they'd have to move up the permanent shutdown schedule on it.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

So now that we're living in Trump's America, how does the future of solar and wind look?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Mr Interweb posted:

So now that we're living in Trump's America, how does the future of solar and wind look?

The dude hasnt taken office yet and has had exactly zero chance to enact any bullshit regressive mindfart policies.

Its looking pretty grim.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Mr Interweb posted:

Frankly the subsidies for wind should be phased out - it's already hands down the cheapest source of electricity. Solar is close to beating coal and natgas too and since price reductions in solar is largely driven by production expansion in China, prices will continue to drop over the next decade or so regardless of US policies. Thing is, the cat is out of the bag - wind and solar is now cheap. It's not cost that's holding it back, it's the added cost when you go over a certain level of penetration and start having to build energy storage, long distance HVDC lines, load balancing etc. Those are the things that need to get cheaper and direct subsidies on solar/wind may not be the most efficient way to do that. Trump can do a lot of stuff I guess but if he wants to stop solar and wind he basically has to take it up with the free market.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
Edit: what he said ^

Year's been real good for solar and wind power, not very good for fossil fuels.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Bates posted:

Frankly the subsidies for wind should be phased out - it's already hands down the cheapest source of electricity.

If you ignore baseload. Which you probably shouldn't.

Concordat posted:

Year's been real good for solar and wind power, not very good for fossil fuels.

What? I mean, I guess falling to #3 in oil production behind China and Russia after being #1 in 2015 might be "not very good," but the US is #1 in the world for natgas production in 2016. Fracking is amazing.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Dec 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Phanatic posted:

If you ignore baseload. Which you probably shouldn't.

What? I mean, I guess falling to #3 in oil production behind China and Russia after being #1 in 2015 might be "not very good," but the US is #1 in the world for natgas production in 2016. Fracking is amazing.

US natural gas companies would describe 2016 as a bad year. Same for oil. And that's not even getting into coal's terminal decline.

Also the power electronics in new wind can provide ancillary grid services like a thermal plant without needing the ramp up/ramp down like traditionally required. We are already seeing renewables curtailed because old thermal plants can't handle turning off when their electricity isn't needed.