Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thetan_guy42
Oct 15, 2016

murdera

Lipstick Apathy

NIGARS posted:

I live in New Zealand so there's some stuff that just doesn't make it here. Laird's bonded Applejack is my white whale - the thing I want to try the very most, but it's completely unavailable here.

Recently the regular Applejack (the blended version) turned up in a couple of online stores, which raised my heart rate, but I'm pretty sure the consensus was that it was poo poo and not worth buying. Am I right? :( it costs $65 for 750ml, which for context is the same as green chartreuse. I think I already know the answer, talk me out of it please.

Don't bother with the blended stuff just get calvados or any other apple brandies on the market. Laird's bonded is available where I live but there are other apple brandies that are comparable just without all the lore. On a different note does anyone know if tanqueray malacca is coming back? I hear rumors that they are supposed to do another release this year or the next

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

NIGARS posted:

Thanks for the tip. Nothing doing I'm afraid - it's blended Applejack or nothing. I think I'd be better to spend my money on some calvados, which I gather is kinda sorta interchangeable.

Yeah calvados is fuckin awesome, good call. I had a really nice Jack Rose made with calvados last night and I have a feeling it's about to be my next weird spirit fixation

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Just made my own grenadine from actual pressed pomegranate (used morgentaler recipe) and homemade pomegranate molasses .

It's basically a 1:1 syrup with some molasse and a touch of orange blossom water. I also added about 1 oz of vodka to ~ 3.5 cups of the grenadine How long should I expect it to survive in the fridge? I've heard about 1 month for the preparation without the vodka but I don't know how much such a small amount of alcohol is supposed to help.

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Dec 18, 2016

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
That amount? Not meaningfully.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I have a half gallon of apple cider and some dark rum, what's something good to mix based on those things?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Mulled cider with a fuckton of dark rum in it. You got some bitters and cinnamon sticks?

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Lokee
Oct 2, 2013

The brown sea is dark and full of terrors, but the paywall burns them all away.
Starting to move towards fresh fruit juice at my bar, was wondering if anyone had any words of wisdom/reading material they'd recommend?

KingColliwog posted:

Just made my own grenadine from actual pressed pomegranate (used morgentaler recipe) and homemade pomegranate molasses .

It's basically a 1:1 syrup with some molasse and a touch of orange blossom water. I also added about 1 oz of vodka to ~ 3.5 cups of the grenadine How long should I expect it to survive in the fridge? I've heard about 1 month for the preparation without the vodka but I don't know how much such a small amount of alcohol is supposed to help.
If I'm not mistaken TBB projects a six month lifespan if you throw a shot of vodka in with a quart of grenadine.

Lokee fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Dec 20, 2016

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Lokee posted:

Starting to move towards fresh fruit juice at my bar, was wondering if anyone had any words of wisdom/reading material they'd recommend?

If I'm not mistaken TBB projects a six month lifespan if you throw a shot of vodka in with a quart of grenadine.

I'm not gonna effort post this cause I'm traveling and there is a log of ground to cover; are you anywhere in the world near a cocktail bar that will let you stage as a barback maybe a night a week? Should answer all your questions.

Lokee
Oct 2, 2013

bloody ghost titty posted:

I'm not gonna effort post this cause I'm traveling and there is a log of ground to cover; are you anywhere in the world near a cocktail bar that will let you stage as a barback maybe a night a week? Should answer all your questions.
Closest place that'd have something to show me would be an hour away. Not that I have time to offer another establishment, as much as I'd like to peek my head into some bar programs in more metro areas and see what they're working with.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

sean10mm posted:

I have a half gallon of apple cider and some dark rum, what's something good to mix based on those things?

Hot cider toddy. Either spice up your rum via infusion or spice your cider like the mulled guy is saying. Ginger, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, clove, anise.

Or make a syrup that incorporates all of those spices and do..

a French 75 but with rum and cider and bubbly. Or a dark and stormy with a super dry and spicy ginger beer like Q or Reeds and balance with your spiced syrup (combine spices in a coffee filter, tie off with kitchen twine, simmer in water for an hour, measure,combine with equal amount of sugar, voila).

Literally just drink rum cider highballs. I guarantee everybody that reads this thread would get down on that. Add a dash of bitters and a twist of orange or lemon.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Lokee posted:

Thank you, I'll add a bit more since it was meant as a gift and I don't see the person using it all in a month

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Lokee posted:

Closest place that'd have something to show me would be an hour away. Not that I have time to offer another establishment, as much as I'd like to peek my head into some bar programs in more metro areas and see what they're working with.

An hour each way? To where? I used to ride the subway that long everyday for my first barback job (uphill in the snow, of course)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Who got a great advocaat recipe?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I just made a Christmas cocktail that I'm pretty happy with. It's sort of a play on a John Collins, in terms of ratios.

2.0 oz ginger ale
1.5 oz apple brandy (I used Laird's)
1.0 oz simple syrup
0.75 oz unsweetened 100% cranberry juice
2 dashes cardamom bitters

Shake everything but the ginger ale and strain into a Collins glass with ice, add ginger ale and stir gently.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with it. It certainly feels seasonally appropriate. If I had something like clove bitters, I might sub in a dash of that for a little more depth, but the cardamom is nice even without the help.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I don't recall who recommended this, but thanks for saying to add simple syrup using Demerara sugar to my old fashioned. I'm not sure what's different, but I think it's a touch sweeter maybe or a different kind of sweet and I like it.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Where did you get unsweetened cranberry juice?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Fart Car '97 posted:

Where did you get unsweetened cranberry juice?

From a relatively low-end supermarket. Organic branding, so it was like $7 for a quart, but it's not like I'll be pounding it down. I've yet to see a brand that's unsweetened, unblended, and not from concentrate, though; it seems to be a pick-two sort of deal.

Edit: I'd never heard of them, but I bought L & A All Cranberry.

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

Can anyone recommend a good brandy to put in a horse's neck?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

i made a perfect whiskey sour 💫

Randyslawterhouse
Oct 11, 2012

goferchan posted:

i made a perfect whiskey sour 💫

Looks too good to drink!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I infused a cinnamon honey clove whiskey for my dad this Christmas. Just bottled it. I thought I had already filtered it plenty, but there was still some sediment at the bottom. I strained everything through cheesecloth again until the bottle was full, leaving me with a couple ounces of infused whiskey and about an ounce of whiskey/cinnamon sediment.

It's a much better whiskey sour than I expected. Maybe that's just the mulled cider talking, though.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

Got this for Xmas - if you can't read it, it's a blackberry scotch liqueur. Any ideas on what to do with it? I was thinking a kind of smokey martini.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's tough having no idea how it tastes but I would maybe try subbing it in for the cherry heering in a Blood & Sand. Like 1oz blended scotch (I use Famous Grouse), .5 sweet vermouth, .5 fresh OJ, .5 weird blackberry liqueur, shaken and served up.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

goferchan posted:

It's tough having no idea how it tastes but I would maybe try subbing it in for the cherry heering in a Blood & Sand. Like 1oz blended scotch (I use Famous Grouse), .5 sweet vermouth, .5 fresh OJ, .5 weird blackberry liqueur, shaken and served up.

Ooh yea, I bet it'd make a great and funky penicillin too. Whenever I get a new spirit or whatever and I don't know what to do with it, subbing it in to a classic recipe is always the best bet.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

goferchan posted:

Ty for reminding me it is blood orange season

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Fart Car '97 posted:

Ty for reminding me it is blood orange season

Dev Hynes is an always sound, you take that back.

PS Miami cocktails on point. I got to walk the footprint of the new EO, they are gonna crush.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
I am several years behind the times. I just got the Death & Co book (as well as The Bar Book: Elements of Cocktail Technique which I've been enjoying), and after owning it for four days I just spent a hundred dollars on cocktailkingdom.com outfitting myself with bar tools. I'm very excited to bring everything in to my shifts at work and have my coworkers use my spoon all the time and for me to break my mixing glass.

Also I just finally figured out the Bonal/bourbon/coffee cocktail I've been playing with for a while:

2oz Bonal
1oz Clyde Mays bourbon
1oz cold brew coffee
1 dash Angostura
orange twist
Build in rocks glass, add twist, ice, and stir thoroughly.

It's a pleasantly light, slightly bitter digestif to wake you up after a meal. I like it quite a bit.

Lokee
Oct 2, 2013

Wondering if anyone has a handy chart for when things are in season? I found this one for fruits and nuts but I was hoping for something a bit more specific to bartending needs ("oranges" are in season year round, thanks for being vague fucks).

e- Also seeing as I'm not from NorCal some of this apparently may not be relevant to me, how do people figure this stuff out for their own region? :psylon:

double edit- BevSpot is good and cool and you should check out their blog.

Lokee fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Dec 30, 2016

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Oranges are "in season" all year, but peak citrus is late fall through early spring. Otherwise, berries are early to mid summer, melons are mid summer, stone fruit are mid summer through fall, apples/pears are autumn. Tropical fruits are non-seasonal. Not many fruit are at their best in spring.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Is this the thread to talk about cider? I highly recommend Sea Cider from Saanichton, BC: http://seacider.ca/

Drinking some of the Pippins right now, and it's outstanding. You could probably make a nice cocktail out of most of their products, but they're excellent in their own right.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Norman hard cider I had on vacation blew away the American offerings I've tried, if I see some from BC I'll have to check it out.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Bold Rock IPA makes the best Camparty I've had.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Are 1:1 Manhattans a thing? Does it work as well as 1:1 martinis do?

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Toast Museum posted:

Are 1:1 Manhattans a thing? Does it work as well as 1:1 martinis do?

Never tried it myself but I don't see why not. You'd need one hell of a whiskey to fight through all that vermouth though.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Comb Your Beard posted:

Norman hard cider I had on vacation blew away the American offerings I've tried, if I see some from BC I'll have to check it out.

Yeah, cider from Normandy makes most of our poo poo look like a joke.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

poop dood posted:

Never tried it myself but I don't see why not. You'd need one hell of a whiskey to fight through all that vermouth though.

Maybe Rittenhouse, or if you're going bourbon Granddad 114?

Kroger has their own ginger beer now. It's not as good as Barrett's or Cock and Bull, but it was on sale for $2 for a six pack and it's serviceable. I thought the thread would like to know.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

poop dood posted:

I ended up giving it a shot with Rittenhouse. It was no 1:1 martini, but it was alright.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
I think you would need an overproof whiskey (Granddad 114 is a good idea), definitely a good vermouth (Carpano preferably) and maybe a dash extra of bitters. That's gonna be a real motherfucker of a Manhattan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I kinda feel like at that point I should should be either drinking the whiskey neat or the Carpano on the rocks.

I wish Carpano was cheaper, what with the whole greatest-vermouth-known-to-humankind it's got going on.