Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

TotalLossBrain posted:

Doesn't he have a podcast by now?

Pretty sure it's this one right? http://www.savagelovecast.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Ferremit posted:

Thats more horrible owner failure... What kind of idiot drives straight past the sign that says lower or remove antennas?

Almost everyone.

Gorilla Salad posted:

Built onto the rear window like a civilised country :colbert:

EDIT: Not technically part of the rear demister.

I can only imagine what that would've done to the cost of the rear windshield I had to replace because it took a rock in ~10*F weather and spiderwebbed like a horror movie. Just having the defrost option was like $250 on top of the base cost.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Dec 30, 2016

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

TotalLossBrain posted:

Doesn't he have a podcast by now?

A what?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
The special day when a baby flywheel leaves its nest for the first time.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Godholio posted:

Almost everyone.

I can only imagine what that would've done to the cost of the rear windshield I had to replace because it took a rock in ~10*F weather and spiderwebbed like a horror movie. Just having the defrost option was like $250 on top of the base cost.

How does a rear window take a rock?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Godholio posted:

Who cares. That's what insurance is for. Nearly all of them have low or no deductable on glass

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Who cares. That's what insurance is for. Nearly all of them have low or no deductable on glass

At least here in AZ it's a selectable option to have either glass covered at the same as the rest of the deductible, or at zero.

You're drat right I choose zero.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
They don't offer glass on my cars :(

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

xzzy posted:

Given none of the body is metal I would think they could conceal antennas somewhere else but maybe regulations don't allow it?

Carbon Fibre is a decent conductor. So putting your antennas inside is like putting them in a Faraday cage.

They could make a part of the wing out of fibreglass and stick it in there.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think you'll find that most antennas on f1 cars are airfoils.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That little wire looking thing smack in the center of the hood right in front of the driver is probably not an airfoil.

(the thing a couple feet foot in front of it certainly is)

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/mercedes-2016-side.jpg

Configuration on most cars is roughly similar.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Not pictured: ruined seat, pants, underwear.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

tactlessbastard posted:

Either kids or a truck driving by. Car was parked on the street. There was a clear starting point for the spiderwebbing.

bull3964 posted:

Be glad you live in one of those states.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

IOwnCalculus posted:

At least here in AZ it's a selectable option to have either glass covered at the same as the rest of the deductible, or at zero.

You're drat right I choose zero.

Every company I've been with (in TX) has either said "nope" or "yeah, we offer zero deductible glass coverage... so long as you have a $0 deductible for your comprehensive coverage! Oh, you actually want that? Okay, here's a quote for $assrape$ without a reacharound or lube. :haw: Why are you laughing? Why are you bitching about the monthly payment being as much as your rent/mortgage/whatever?!?"

Changing the comp deductible to $0 quadrupled my premiums the one time I checked. :stonk: I mean, I don't have good credit, but goddamn, I didn't expect that.

Godholio posted:

Be glad you live in one of those states.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Dec 30, 2016

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

tactlessbastard posted:

One of ours took a chestnut one night while parked in the driveway.

Zero deductible on glass is a separate rider on our policy. It's been very worthwhile.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
EDIT:

fixed because I reposted this same event

B4Ctom1 posted:

Left home for a meeting 10 minutes early in my 2009 Outback. 40 minutes for a 30 minute trip. 10 miles of gravel county road and then a short trip on the interstate into town. I get about 1 mile from the house and move to the edge of the road as a larger truck is coming the opposite direction.

Something must have fallen off a vehicle and migrated to the edge of the road. Still don't know what. I guess I got too close to the edge of the gravel road and found it. When I ran it over, I could hear it clap the underside of the fender a few times, but I could hear the air coming out fast. I can only see a chunk of it sticking out of the tire. What ever was flapping flew out/off. Can wait till I get another wheel, so when they knock the tire off, I can see what it was. I honestly think it was a tool like a screwdriver.

Was dressed in business attire, and still got it changed in 15 minutes, without getting dirty. Only 5 mins late into the meeting room. The boss says, "I was just about to ask where Tom was". Perfect timing.

New wheel is $130 delivered from eBay

So here was the culprit

I asked Rick to save the offending item which I knew would be in the tire still. It looks much longer than it appears in the image, only 6" long. From what I can tell, it appears to be one of those T-handle combination screwdriver/wrench tools provided in someone else's tire change kit. Obviously with the wrench bit broken off, but you can still see the weld that was left over where it attached.

The tire-irony is not lost on me.

I intend to have that wheel patched and used as a full size spare as the spare tire well is sized to accommodate a full sized spare. Putting 60 miles (including 20 miles of sharp gravel road known to kill known good tires) on a safety donut was nerve wracking.

B4Ctom1 fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Dec 30, 2016

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You posted that ten days ago.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Cojawfee posted:

You posted that ten days ago.

edited to show the culprit because I forgot I posted the incident once already.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Deteriorata posted:

One of ours took a chestnut one night while parked in the driveway.

Zero deductible on glass is a separate rider on our policy. It's been very worthwhile.

Our trees love raining chestnuts on our cars as well. Thankfully, the tree isn't tall enough for it to take out glass yet.

I do want to put a cover over the driveway.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It takes a special kind of rear end in a top hat to plant a tree that produces nuts next to a driveway.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

poo poo, Chevy was doing that 45 years ago. two wires up the windshield and then out across the top. Looks nice but I fear ever needing a replacement.

Was gonna say, my '70 Cutlass has one in the windshield.
My Crown Vic, on the other hand, happens to be the only year since the square ones to have a mast antenna. On the rear fender.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

xzzy posted:

It takes a special kind of rear end in a top hat to plant a tree that produces nuts next to a driveway.

Some rear end in a top hat PO of my house planted a goddamned pine tree 3 feet from the street and driveway. Pine sap and pine needles on and in everything unless you parked on the other side of the driveway, or six or eight feet down the street.
I was so happy when it died. Of course, then I had to pay someone to take it down (didn't own the necessary tools at the time.)

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

xzzy posted:

They're called landscape architects, who only know what something looks like but not what makes it a pain in the rear end to live with.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
Without putting much thought into it I was glad to see simple radio masts had made a comeback. That's because I was thinking back to retractable antennas that broke easily and sometimes leaked water over their electronics and into the trunk. Forgetting that better technology has been available for decades and thinking that an antenna is just part of the look of a car, it's easy to ignore.

InitialDave posted:

Cheap Ebay :china: mini amps sound like what you need, perhaps coupled to a cheap Ebay :china: bluetooth dongle.

If you want it to be a single DIN fitting, I think most manufacturers have made cheap no-optical-drive headunits in the recent past, if not at present.

Jalopnik did an article about just that years ago. I had a friend do this after having her radio torn out a while back. All she wants to do is stream from her phone so it's great. Some of those mini amps even come with USB charging ports now.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Darchangel posted:

My Crown Vic, on the other hand, happens to be the only year since the square ones to have a mast antenna. On the rear fender.

'92-94 "Aero" bodies had them too, in the normal front fender location. The '95 facelift was where they switched to the on-glass antenna until the '05 weirdo model.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

wolrah posted:

'92-94 "Aero" bodies had them too, in the normal front fender location. The '95 facelift was where they switched to the on-glass antenna until the '05 weirdo model.

Ah, forgot that the aeros had them.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

loving Chrysler, guess I found where the burning smell was coming from

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Aren't headlight switches carrying full current great?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

ewiley posted:

It looks so sad.

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004
His fortune telling days are over

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Hahaha, noice

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Shrugs Not Drugs posted:

And if you've got cold solder on the $1500 ABS module in your $1000 truck (they all do prior to '02, and if you buy one from a hillbilly there's enough mud around that you can't really take the top off to fix it even after multiple washes) you may have no indicator those bearings have gone until a wheel falls off (the rest of the front end is usually too far into its 50k mile replacement interval to give you enough feedback to tell you something's wrong). This cold solder also results in an always-on brake warning light (assuming your cluster has enough life left to indicate anything but the price of tea in China) which means you can lose hardlines to rust (which happens all the time) and have no idea until that panic stop results in an awfully low pedal that's now sinking constantly. The front ABS sensors also like to corrode up and, if the module does function, it just thinks that wheel is locked up regardless of what's actually going on and can leave you with no brakes that way. Not that you'll have time between fuel pump failures to get going fast enough to need to stop ever. And even if you do need to stop sometime, the parking shoes in the hat drums are perpetually about to fall off their hilariously inadequate mounting tabs and jam up so you've just got to wait for that inevitability to hopefully grind you to a screeching halt before you hit anything.
But when you finally get sick of all this, the leak-prone EVAP system leaves enough fuel fumes lingering about to make torching the truck rather easy at least.

This gave me such a weird hate boner due to my pure seething rage with these trucks. I work with a plow company that uses trucks of this vintage and lemme tell you salt fucks those bearings/sensors real quick. Some trucks go through sensor every end of season. gently caress those trucks and there poo poo ecm location. Oh god and on the vans of that era the window sill drips water right down on it.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

ewiley posted:

Ford offends just as bad.

kastein posted:

Yes absofuckinglutely amazing. why did England of a similar vintage run relays, yet domestics run all the power in the dash...yet everybody shits on the almighty prince of darkness.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

kastein posted:

yep! Ordered an upgraded harness with relays yesterday.. I love fixing oem mistakes on my jeep

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
Something, something, lowered suspension...

Root Bear fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jan 1, 2017

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Root Bear posted:

Something, something, lowered suspension...

Oh god.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

:perfect:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

There's a gif that goes with this. Numbnuts there was at his karate class, sparring with his car keys in his pocket. gently caress knows why, or even why his gi had pockets in the first place.