Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Hamshot posted:

Since I already have a Colossus siege tank I can pilfer a gun from, how easily could a Typhon be converted out of a Spartan? Thinking of getting a spartan with a typhon option for the times I want to lose my friends (or get back at 'em for almost tabling me every game).

I would guess moderately difficult for a permanent swap, and definitely pretty hard to do something like magnetize the Spartan assault ramp and make it swap with the typhon cannon. They have pretty different glacis sections and you'd probably have to do some work with plasticard to make them interchangeable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Why bother- you can take the seige tank in any legion army!

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of Typhons... C&C on my target 3k list please!

+ Legion +

Legiones Astartes [ XIV: Death Guard, Traitor]

Rite of War [The Reaping]

+ HQ (635pts) +

Calas Typhon (635pts) [Master of the Legion]
Deathshroud Terminator Squad (435pts) [5x Deathshroud Terminators (200pts), Land Raider Phobos (225pts)]

+ Troops (740pts) +

Legion Tactical Squad (205pts) [14x Legion Tactical Space Marines (140pts)]
Additional Wargear [Bolters]
Legion Tactical Sergeant (30pts) [Melta Bombs (5pts), Power Scythe (15pts), Rad Grenades (10pts)]
Standard Wargear [Bolt Pistols, Frag and Krak Grenades, Power Armour]

Legion Tactical Squad (205pts) [14x Legion Tactical Space Marines (140pts)]
Legion Tactical Sergeant (30pts) [Melta Bombs (5pts), Power Scythe (15pts), Rad Grenades (10pts)]
Standard Wargear [Bolt Pistols, Frag and Krak Grenades, Power Armour]

Legion Tactical Support Squad (165pts) [Chem-munitions, 4x Legion Space Marines (60pts), Support Squad]
Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier (50pts) [Chem-munitions, Heavy Flamer (15pts)]
Legion Sergeant (15pts) [Melta Bombs (5pts), Rad Grenades (10pts)]

Legion Tactical Support Squad (165pts) [Chem-munitions, 4x Legion Space Marines (60pts), Support Squad]
Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier (50pts) [Chem-munitions, Heavy Flamer (15pts)]
Legion Sergeant (15pts) [Melta Bombs (5pts), Rad Grenades (10pts)]

+ Elites (335pts) +

Contemptor-Mortis Dreadnought (180pts) [Two Kheres Pattern Assault Cannons (25pts)]
Contemptor-Mortis Dreadnought (155pts) [Two Multi-Meltas]

+ Heavy Support (895pts) +

Legion Artillery Tank Squadron (490pts) [Command Tank (25pts), Legion Medusa (155pts), Legion Medusa (155pts), Legion Medusa (155pts)]

Legion Whirlwind Scorpius (115pts)

Leviathan Siege Dreadnought Talon (290pts)
Leviathan Siege Dreadnought (290pts) [Chem-munitions, Grav-flux Bombard (20pts)]

+ Lords of War (395pts) +

War Machine Detachment (395pts) [Legion Typhon Heavy Siege Tank (395pts)]

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

The tac sergeants are awful spendy without having a 2+ save but other than that it looks profoundly unfun to play against.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

panascope posted:

The tac sergeants are awful spendy without having a 2+ save but other than that it looks profoundly unfun to play against.

Yeah, I think it's a bit heavy... Have to rethink it.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Also where is Typhon going? There's no room for him in the Deathshroud's Phobos unless you drop them down to 4.

E: and get Artificer Armor for those sergeants if you don't want them getting punked before they swing by a random power weapon or lightning claw.

adamantium|wang fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Dec 26, 2016

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
i'm buying the Calth box, gonna do everything in it as the same legion. are Blood Angels good in 30k?

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
All legions are good. There isn't any clear loser in the legion power race.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

zeal posted:

i'm buying the Calth box, gonna do everything in it as the same legion. are Blood Angels good in 30k?

BA have temporary/tentative legion rules and lack their primarch/special units. Otherwise yeah they're good and fun.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Blood Angels get a bonus to doing damage in close combat, but have to pay for it with a drawback that's supposed to limit their access to armor, but doesn't really accomplish anything. They can also slap 40k-style assault cannons on just about anything they want. Got a heavy flamer? Upgrade for 5 points. So that means you can have heavy support squads with ten of the things or even dreadnoughts with gun hands. It's kind of ridiculous and I have a feeling it'll get tweaked when they get their full rules. Supposedly, that'll be in book VIII.

As for their rites of war, one is focused on jump troops and is pretty great. The other hands out bonuses when your units hit 50%, but they can't score. It's a little weird and I think most players go for the jump pack rite or one of the generic ones.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
yeah the Day of Revelation is cool but it would require a bunch of flying transports to use with a bunch of tac squads and termies

what i'd kinda like to run is a Pride of the Legion thing with the 30(i think) tactical marines in the calth box as veterans, with heavy flamers and meltas or suspensor missile launchers w/ extra ccws. but with the cataphraktii terminators in the calth box, i kinda want to do that with Imperial Fists instead, suspensor h.bolters instead of heavy flamers in the vet squads, teleport wargear on the termies. i don't want to buy a ton more than is already in the Calth box to get into the game.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Day of Revelation owns. Jetbikes and assault marines out the wazoo :colbert:

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
Made some progress on the first tactical squad. Just need the rest of the backpacks and shoulderpads, and a little bit of detailing on the sergeant, and we're good. So I put together a monument to my poor financial decisions. Have some yellow marines in varying stages of completeness.

Note: Not everything's complete squads. Still have some holes to fill. Particularly some support squads.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
You're spraying that yellow on, right? I fear for your sanity =(

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

OMG sriracha pudding! posted:

You're spraying that yellow on, right? I fear for your sanity =(

God yes. The process so far has been: Airbrush Yellow ochre up to (currently) Hansa Yellow with a touch of a bone white for a bit more contrast and opacity. Then do metals and black bits. (backpacks, bolters, and shoulderpads separate). Then they get a thorough varnishing and are slathered with a generous oil wash of a mix of (carbon) black and umber.

That is then rubbed off the high points and varnished to seal it down. Then everything's glued together.

I've done some yellow in places just to make sure I know how to brush on a roughly comparable yellow for touchups and such, and yeah. I'd never recommend imperial fists to someone without an airbrush, though. (Or, I suppose yellow spray paint. Apparently doing that then a dip works well)

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

zeal posted:

i don't want to buy a ton more than is already in the Calth box to get into the game.

While calth is an awesome core to any army (I play fuckin ravenwing and still use plenty of calth guys), there's only a couple legions that can really stick with calth and not need to branch out and unlock other stuff- off the top of my head, imperial fists and death guard are the only ones truly happy with a big blob of foot sloggers, termies and a dread.

BA in particular really, really want assault marines in their compulsory troops to free up vehicle slots for Host of Angels while still being able to consistently get into combat. Day of Revelation is just gravy really. Delicious, delicious rage gravy.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Find some offbrand cyclones, and Calth is perfect for IW.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
You mean prospero I assume. MKIII IW is the only way.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
FW has a new jigsaw. Looks like a chaos power axe. Is is more dark admech? From how it's shaped, I think it might not even be 30k.

e: Welp, most like this thing

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Dec 27, 2016

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

FW has a new jigsaw. Looks like a chaos power axe. Is is more dark admech? From how it's shaped, I think it might not even be 30k.

e: Welp, most like this thing

It absolutely is that ugly shmuck from AoS.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
I dunno that shield alone has more personality than anything in aos.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

It's got a Khorne logo on the axe, so it's probably a BLOODTHIRSTY BLOODMAN with BLOODAXE and BLOODSHIELD

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Mango Polo posted:

It absolutely is that ugly shmuck from AoS.
Who the gently caress cares about that thing?

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
Is it too much for a minotaur to have cloven hooves instead of creepy finger-toes like that?

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Looks like someone liked the concept of Valkia the Bloodys shield (using the face-skin of a greater demon from a different god) and decided to do the exact same thing again but this time bigger.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Safety Factor posted:

Who the gently caress cares about that thing?

Dunno, Lumbering Troll maybe?

:(

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
Hey, check out my in progress Death Guard! But mostly because they got some soda spilled on them and I'm wondering if there's a way to clean it without having to strip and repaint them. They've just been primed and painted, no varnish or anything else.

I mean, it's only five minis so it won't take a lot if I have to repaint them. And of course all of my unpainted Marines are completely unscathed.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

Hey, check out my in progress Death Guard! But mostly because they got some soda spilled on them and I'm wondering if there's a way to clean it without having to strip and repaint them. They've just been primed and painted, no varnish or anything else.

I mean, it's only five minis so it won't take a lot if I have to repaint them. And of course all of my unpainted Marines are completely unscathed.

Soap, water? Spray varnish over and pretend it's a wash. A combination of the two is probably easiest.

I'd try a really light rinse in lukewarm water. Dunk, shake around under water, remove. Change water, repeat until they aren't sticky/you are satisfied?

If that doesn't do the trick, you can try soapy water or painting on soap suds with a brush and washing it off, but I cannot vouch for soap not messing with the paint. It PROBABLY won't.

Either way you should probably varnish over them to seal down your newly coke washed death guard so that any residual sugar is sealed down and won't get in your brushes painting over them, or actually mold. Nobody likes death guard who take it too literally.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
We got trolled by Forge World, lmao.

Each piece is actually a different model. Left is the khorne shitter's axe, right is what we thought was from the same khornate model but now seems to be from Blood Bowl, and today's reveal is a piece of the smaller custodes grav speeder.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Mango Polo posted:

We got trolled by Forge World, lmao.

Each piece is actually a different model. Left is the khorne shitter's axe, right is what we thought was from the same khornate model but now seems to be from Blood Bowl, and today's reveal is a piece of the smaller custodes grav speeder.

The puzzle is a BluePyramid conversion made exclusively of unreleased Forgeworld models.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
at this point, having messed around w/ three different legion builds on army builder using the calth box contents as a base, i think i'm gonna do imperial fists. the rite of war where anything with legiones astartes: imperial fists can buy a teleporter transponder. a phalanx warder squad in a land raider proteus w/ explorator array for better reserve rolls, a rhino-riding tac squad, and a big 20-marine tac blob with a chaplain, all w/ squad nuncio voxes for deep strike assistance. a terminator praetor with terminator command squad and a squad of templar brethren with all the plasma pistols they can pack in deep strike reserve. maybe swap the brethren for a multi-melta contemptor. add more termies, dreads, templars as points and purchases allow

the main issue i see is handling heavy armor, i'd be relying on terminator chainfists, dreadnoughts and sergeant power fists or melta bombs. but how big an issue that is depends on the local meta i guess, which i have no idea of atm

e: fluff-wise, i really liked Praetorian of Dorn and Sigismund's role in the old Mechanicum hh novel. i want to build a contingent of Sigismund's forces in the outer sphere of the interlocking defensive network Dorn prepared for Terra, maybe include Big S himself in the list eventually

1994 Toyota Celica fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Dec 28, 2016

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

:sax: Painted this guy over the past few days, gonna play a game with it on Thursday. I love models that cost more in dollars than in points.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Now cover up the paintjob with a shitload of weathering, take that fucker muddin

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
When Dark Angels get a rhino dirty they hand it down to their younger brother legions and make dad give them a new one.

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Your anguish sustains me.

zeal posted:

at this point, having messed around w/ three different legion builds on army builder using the calth box contents as a base, i think i'm gonna do imperial fists. the rite of war where anything with legiones astartes: imperial fists can buy a teleporter transponder. a phalanx warder squad in a land raider proteus w/ explorator array for better reserve rolls, a rhino-riding tac squad, and a big 20-marine tac blob with a chaplain, all w/ squad nuncio voxes for deep strike assistance. a terminator praetor with terminator command squad and a squad of templar brethren with all the plasma pistols they can pack in deep strike reserve. maybe swap the brethren for a multi-melta contemptor. add more termies, dreads, templars as points and purchases allow

the main issue i see is handling heavy armor, i'd be relying on terminator chainfists, dreadnoughts and sergeant power fists or melta bombs. but how big an issue that is depends on the local meta i guess, which i have no idea of atm

e: fluff-wise, i really liked Praetorian of Dorn and Sigismund's role in the old Mechanicum hh novel. i want to build a contingent of Sigismund's forces in the outer sphere of the interlocking defensive network Dorn prepared for Terra, maybe include Big S himself in the list eventually

Imperial Fists are an awesome if an obnoxious pain in the arse to paint legion. I've only just today become reasonably happy with my painting method.

As for anti-armour I have a squad of 6-8 lascannon heavies which i squeeze into most games. The tank hunters makes them reasonably effective against most things, however spartan spam is now something I have to deal with regularly. The one las squad won't really cut it on its own so I try to squeeze in 5 cataphractii with combi-meltas and chainfists in a dreadclaw in every game (against certain local spaming hams anyway). If they don't get annihilated the turn they arrive they generally do well.

As for the Templars I run mine small and cheap as possible, as they are really only good for killing tac marines (boy do they do that well though). They also look awesome painted with the black and yellow.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Revamping my horrible unfun pieplate list from before, and starting smaller. Looking at a base list for 1,500 to start with room to grow. Trying to balance out more versatility. C&C is very much appreciated:

+++ Death Guard - 1,500 +++
Rite of War [The Reaping]

+ HQ (105pts) +

Legion Centurion (105pts) [Cataphractii Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon, Power Scythe]
Consul [Delegatus]

+ Troops (655pts) +

Legion Tactical Squad (165pts) [9x Legion Tactical Space Marines]
Legion Tactical Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Melta Bombs, Power Scythe, Rad Grenades]

Legion Tactical Squad (165pts) [9x Legion Tactical Space Marines]
Legion Tactical Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Melta Bombs, Power Scythe, Rad Grenades]

Legion Tactical Support Squad (165pts) [Chem-munitions, 4x Legion Space Marines]
Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier [Chem-munitions, Heavy Flamer]
Legion Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Melta Bombs]

Legion Heavy Support Squad (160pts) [4x Legion Space Marines, Missile Launchers]

+ Elites (315pts) +

Contemptor-Cortus Class Dreadnought Talon (135pts)
Cortus Dreadnought [Multi-Melta, Multi-Melta]

Contemptor-Mortis Dreadnought (180pts) [Two Kheres Pattern Assault Cannons]

+ Heavy Support (425pts) +

Grave Warden Terminator Squad (425pts) [4x Grave Warden Terminator, Land Raider Phobos]

TKIY fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Dec 29, 2016

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
What's the app people were using to add explosions to photos and stuff?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Found it, Lens FX

Another squad of Cataphractii Terminators - these guys were fun to paint!

An apothecary with a crooked chainsword to keep some of these goons alive:

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

SRM posted:

Found it Lens FX

gently caress yea lens fx

SRM, I really like the pose on the termie that's lowering his shoulder and charging, and I like the detail on the apocs sword. Classy.

I played a game tonight. I played against ultramarines and took a reserves-heavy army that came in piecemeal against three quad mortars and a whirlwind scorpius guarded by a mortis contemptor. It did not go good for me at all! My opponent made a solid victory into a blowout with a couple lucky roles- a murderous strike against my praetor and a one-shot kill with a lascannon snap shot against my Caestus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Thanks man, I was really worried the Terminator would look like he was falling over but I'm glad the pose reads well.

Sounds like a tough matchup. However I can't look at that mat with unpainted buildings and not see this: