Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

XK posted:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/259596-The-Star-Citizen-Thread-v5?p=4943682&viewfull=1#post4943682

Oh. He actually said this.

I thought the reasonable assumption was that they were using new Lumberyard stuff for Star Marine, and their existing code for the rest. But this, wow. I would feel like a completely immoral sociopath by telling my $140m backers that I switched engines, without detailing that the change is currently only licensing related, and almost no functionality or implementation (code) has changed.

I'm still hesitant to believe that's what actually happened.

I think this is yet MORE proof no one at CIG has a clue, and they are, indeed, so clueless, they can't even keep their BS stories straight. Also, someone needs to revoke Ben Parry's Twitter handle under false advertising laws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

I absolutely love that because Derek's game is a shitshow, CIG's somehow isn't. I mean, think about it. Derek is a shitshow expert, he's been running shitshows all his life.

When your game development is so bad Derek is calling it out, it's time to listen.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

The engine switch being a paper launch is very CIG.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
So basically, they dropped in a different cryengine.jpeg into their build files and rebuilt the project? Is that what really happened?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I am so sick and tired of hearing 'where is Lumberyard' or 'why is the new engine equally poo poo' well surprise you dicks , Lumberyard has been in star engine all along

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Truga posted:

So basically, they dropped in a different cryengine.jpeg into their build files and rebuilt the project? Is that what really happened?

Even better, they probably attached to the same commit in the lumberyard origin/master. Which means nothing. They still need to bring their code up to date to gain any benefit from lumberyard, and they're still hosed by the speed of light.

Also, versions tend to be tags rather branches depending on the git model being used.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
welcome to layofftown lol

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
what's a crunch, precious

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
the last post was mocapped by andy sirkis at imaginarium at the cost of $3400 per word

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6PRJuWtsv8

This video is quite a thing...

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

https://www.twitch.tv/anchor654 The face of fun... :geno:

EmesiS
Feb 5, 2016

TheAgent posted:

Is that where the lumberyard is?

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.
So (and back to endless game engine chat):

'StarEngine' is based on Crytek 3.7, yes?
Which had not been the latest version of the engine for a while even prior to Crytek's downfall, but (short of CIG wanting to take advantage of new features) there was no pressing reason for them to upgrade their code base to the newer Crytek 3.8+ release. They could stick with 3.7 indefinitely, releasing even their 'final product' based on 3.7.

Now that they've signed on with Amazon, surely this is not the case, yes? Amazon forked Lumberyard from 3.8, and then added all their poo poo on top of that. It's in AMAZON's interest that any releases are on top of their version of the engine, not just some legacy version that they also happen to have a licence for. I mean, Amazon's profit here comes from forcing the use of AWS, which I imagine was the No.1 addition they made once they initially forked Lumberyard?

Would I be right in assuming then that CIG have actually created the additional issue of updating the game to a newer 3.8 codebase (in addition to Amazon's own Lumberyard changes) - which did not exist before?

Does anyone have more detail of the licencing requirement that Amazon demand?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Serak posted:

So (and back to endless game engine chat):

'StarEngine' is based on Crytek 3.7, yes?
Which had not been the latest version of the engine for a while even prior to Crytek's downfall, but (short of CIG wanting to take advantage of new features) there was no pressing reason for them to upgrade their code base to the newer Crytek 3.8+ release. They could stick with 3.7 indefinitely, releasing even their 'final product' based on 3.7.

Obviously you don't understand game development. Your game should always be on the latest greatest engine to be the best most fidelitious game, as shown by previous examples of such games. Such as DNF or Daikatana.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
2.6 is based on their current fork.
The Jesus 3.0 build is based on the lumberjack fork.
That's my prediction anyways.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Lladre posted:

I still stand by my prediction that moving to AWS and Lumberyard is all the big netcode overhaul is.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

I guess what I'm not clear on is if they left Jennifer on the porch during the 3.8 Cryengine line, how does she appear on the porch in the Lumberyard line at the end of the 3rd movie?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Star Citizen: Everything Is Forked

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Lladre posted:

Rudager posted:

I still stand by my prediction that moving to AWS and Lumberyard is all the big netcode overhaul is.

I want these both to be true somehow, to reach lulz factor 9 :pgabz:

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Star Citizen: Everything Is Forked

:golfclap:

Now I've got Dylan's "Everything is Broken" stuck in my head.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

ComfyPants posted:

I guess what I'm not clear on is if they left Jennifer on the porch during the 3.8 Cryengine line, how does she appear on the porch in the Lumberyard line at the end of the 3rd movie?

LOL

:five:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Kosumo posted:

You are Goons; What would you do?

You are driving down the information highway in your shopping trolly when you round a corner to find a truck that was moving old tires as roll over and the tires have all caught on fire.

Do you -

A - Get out of your trolly and proceed to make a circle around it while all holding hands and singing Goon-di-ya.

B - Photoshop some orphans onto it.

C - Hop out of the trolly and proceed to lie on the ground in comedic homosexual poses while claiming to be dead.

D - Go to doxx the fire only to be reminded by Fyad to "Don't Do what Derek Does!".

E - Claim this is surly the end of CiG.

F - Yell at the fire and tell it it is poo poo and that's not a meltdown, you want to see a real meltdown, you need to see Branson.

G - Inform the fire that we are glad that it's family is dead and then start to toast some bread on it.

H - Give it :five: and tell everyone you would pet.

I - Attempt to jump it in the shopping trolly ..... backwards ..... while doing a flip ..... and debating the finer points of cooking in cast iorn frying pans.

J - Get pgabz to edit the config file and then just clip though it.

K - Tane.

L - None of the above or anything else even, ever.

This 'You are Goons; What would you do?' Is made possible by your catte tax. Always pay your catte tax - helping make the BDGSE.

Thank you.

M - link emergency services to my July blog where I outlined how this would happen

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

ComfyPants posted:

:golfclap:

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

:siren: :fork: Star Citizen: Everything Is Forked :fork: :siren:

Gives you flashbacks to 2004 :allears:

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

TheAgent posted:

the last post was mocapped by andy sirkis at imaginarium at the cost of $3400 per word

Well we need at least two reshoots the quality isn't nearly presentable

Unfortunately while we are paying you AAA scale for your entire performance everything but the voiceover will be thrown out and redone by talentless extras from central casting

But at least I, the actual Chairman of Space Roberts Industries get to be a real live Hollywood director! Truly I am entitled to this lifestyle!

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
I asked Google what 140m dollars could buy you. Best answer it would give me was this link: http://www2.agilone.com/blog/blog/25-things-you-can-buy-with-25-million-dollars

This would've been better for Star Citizen than picking Cryengine.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

ComfyPants posted:

:vince:

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Dongicus posted:

did you just seriously loving say that? are you stupid AND retarded? gently caress off. I can't believe this line of reasoning is considered valid. I mean how cognitively dissonant and occamz razorly can you be?

"nized or as careful. An object hierarchy is fine for business software development but usually only gets as far as the UI and maybe file operations but everything else is written pedal to the metal good old functional proga"

seriously, fucko? seriously :allears:

Man I bet you're the kind of guy who's like

"riginal engine code and you do a merge to see what the changes are and make a diff from that. You now literally have what changed between engine versions. Well, like you would expect with a new engine version, they've changed the API you use to access its code"

jesus what a fruitcake! you actually said that! how about you peep the goddamned numbered graph in the OP next time you ordain spewing this unrepentant squalid mess.

Are you retarded?

What is this poo poo?

:getout:

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Solarin posted:

What is this poo poo?
FYAD is leaking again

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
Don't worry guys, Montoya explains all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UieVs5k0abU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

hey all i dont read this anymore but i thought id come check in, it looks like you guys are still posting about the same stuff as 1000 pages ago. nice!

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

can someone give me the final verdict slash bottom line on this engine debacle? it doesnt seem to change anything, at least in "2.6" or whatever the current build is. have they just stuck the engine name on the product?

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
Hi, hope you're all enoying screaming at the computer game and the people making it. this post is just a quiet reminder for you to call or visit your parents wherever possible, particularly if you havent seen them over the christmas holidays yet. they love and care about you and would love to hear from you

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015
whatever we were talking about 1000 pages ago was more interesting than lumberyard engine switch speculation

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

I.N.R.I posted:

Hi, hope you're all enoying screaming at the computer game and the people making it. this post is just a quiet reminder for you to call or visit your parents wherever possible, particularly if you havent seen them over the christmas holidays yet. they love and care about you and would love to hear from you

I call my parents nearly every day, except when they are busy with my sister and her kids. My folks love the grandkids.

They also have no negative opinions about the Jews, so that's one thing I never hear about when I call them.

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

TheAgent posted:

momas job is being outsourced to Brno

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/813704089540366336
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/813704214903975936
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/813704756090826752
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/813705221176262656
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/813765364509274112

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

I will call your parents please give me their phone number. Or a picture of them, I can doxx from there. Thanks in advance.

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

alf_pogs posted:

can someone give me the final verdict slash bottom line on this engine debacle? it doesnt seem to change anything, at least in "2.6" or whatever the current build is. have they just stuck the engine name on the product?

Nothing was changed. CIG switched from a paid license (from Crytek) to a free license (from Amazon), slapped the Lumberyard logo on the splash screen and called it a day. Or two, with two engineers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

AlbieQuirky posted:

I'm shocked---shocked!---to find out that scambling is going on here.

Was that a Spock vs Q reference?

Edit: Catte tax

Bofast fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Dec 30, 2016