Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
Just got my VR Cover. I got the one with a gap so it doesn't cover the nose part. Fits well and is really soft. I'm happy it worked out after hearing bad things about the first version.

The games I keep coming back to are Superhot and the Bullet Train demo. I wish the was an endless mode in both. Can't wait for Robo Recall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Are stories of the Vive running well on systems below recommended true or apocrypha? My system is above with GPU but the closer I look the more I worry about CPU. (3570k, not overclocked...yet)

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

GPU is much more important than CPU for the vast majority of titles right now.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Are stories of the Vive running well on systems below recommended true or apocrypha? My system is above with GPU but the closer I look the more I worry about CPU. (3570k, not overclocked...yet)

I run the Vive on a 3570K + GTX 1070 without any issues. My CPU is overclocked to 4.4GHz though.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Hungry Computer posted:

I run the Vive on a 3570K + GTX 1070 without any issues. My CPU is overclocked to 4.4GHz though.

I don't have quite the GPU but that is extremely relieving. What kind of cooling setup?

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
Just air cooling. Alpine 11 PLUS, which isn't too much better than the stock cooler, and a good amount of airflow from the case.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
3570k noverclock + gtx780, almost everything is fine. Low fps during The Labs loading screens though lol

Surprise Giraffe fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Dec 30, 2016

Bagpuss_UK
May 22, 2001

(NOT BAGPUSS)
Got my Touch controllers and some extension cables yesterday from Amazon, and poo poo just got real.

I though Elite, Flight Sim X, Project Cars etc were immersive in VR, but the first time I fired up Space Pirate Trainer... :aaaaa: I'M IN A loving VIDEO GAME.

Off to download Job Simulator, Onward, SuperHot to start...

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Bagpuss_UK posted:

Got my Touch controllers and some extension cables yesterday from Amazon, and poo poo just got real.

I though Elite, Flight Sim X, Project Cars etc were immersive in VR, but the first time I fired up Space Pirate Trainer... :aaaaa: I'M IN A loving VIDEO GAME.

i recommend you do some warm ups before Super Hot if you are over 21 years old, personally. It can get pretty weirdly intense and you might bend your back in weird ways.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
So cute seeing the Occulus users finally, like, "getting into" VR due to the presence of hands. This sounds awfully condescending but I don't really mean it that way, honest. Just like I've been enjoying something for a while and now other people seem to be discovering it and are amazed and I'm happy at their joy.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

AgentF posted:

So cute seeing the Occulus users finally, like, "getting into" VR due to the presence of hands. This sounds awfully condescending but I don't really mean it that way, honest. Just like I've been enjoying something for a while and now other people seem to be discovering it and are amazed and I'm happy at their joy.

:same:

fatelvis
Mar 21, 2010

Top Hats Monthly posted:

I'm running it with a 970 and a 2500k overclocked to 4.2. I got a couple of issues when the 2500k was at stock - most notably job simulator ran like poo poo. Haven't really had any issues at all since overclocking a little bit.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Bagpuss_UK posted:

Check out Audioshield if you like music/rhythm games like Audiosurf at all. Also I suggest buying at least one game on Oculus Home even if Steam is your preferred platform so you can get Ripcoil for free (assuming they are still running that promotion). Ripcoil is pretty fun.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Lemming posted:

Eventually these things are all going to have inside-out tracking, like the Hololens, but better with lower latency. You won't need anything external at all to aid in tracking.

I'm still not convinced that inside-out tracking will be workable for controllers and other tracked objects. For headsets it's at least conceptually easy (though clearly not actually easy) because there's (relatively) a lot of room for cameras that are likely to have a useful view of the world around them and a processor that can do the job. I expect that'll be the next step for phone-based VR since one or two cameras are already there and even the headsets that are basically Cardboard++ tend to expose the camera area.

Both of the current tracking systems allow for tracked objects to be pretty dumb. Oculus' Constellation system has limited expandability (128 total tracked points) but a prop-type object that doesn't need rapid position updates could be implemented with basically the dumbest of microcontrollers and enough IR LEDs to avoid occlusion in normal use. Valve's Lighthouse requires a faster processor because of the tight timings involved but it's still a fairly straightforward combination of microcontroller and IR sensors.

For inside-out tracking you'd need to put enough cameras on the object to ensure at least one of them has a meaningful view of the world at all times, with a high enough resolution to be useful, and then either have enough CPU to process the images in real time or a low-latency wireless link to transmit the images to the host system. Either way significantly increases the complexity of controllers and other tracked objects.

Maybe there's a middle ground where a few more cameras or lighthouse-style bases are added to the headset allowing the accessories to be tracked "traditionally" relative to the headset, which then tracks the room inside-out style, but I can't see how such a system would avoid having blind spots when your arms are hanging down at your sides.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

StarkRavingMad posted:

Check out Audioshield if you like music/rhythm games like Audiosurf at all. Also I suggest buying at least one game on Oculus Home even if Steam is your preferred platform so you can get Ripcoil for free (assuming they are still running that promotion). Ripcoil is pretty fun.

And like whenever it comes up, I think Soundboxing is better (and cheaper) than Audioshield.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

GlyphGryph posted:

And like whenever it comes up, I think Soundboxing is better (and cheaper) than Audioshield.

I've never played Soundboxing so I can't compare the two. Maybe I'll check it out after work today and see which I think is better. It's on sale right now for just under $5 which seems like a no-brainer to pick up.

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Dec 30, 2016

MerklesBoner
Apr 5, 2003

My Touch stuff arrived two days ago, and wow what a difference! I've barely scratched the surface so far--been going crazy on the Oculus store sale, so I've been jumping from game to game with going too deep into any of them--but this weekend should give me plenty of time. I rearranged my room to clear out a big play space, and just being able to move around is amazing! Got an e-mail this morning, and it looks like sensor #3 will be on the way soon!

Looking forward to Space Pirate Trainer tonight (daily deal for :10bux:)!

Question for any Oculus Touch players of New Retro Arcade: is anybody else completely unable to pick stuff up off the floor? Items that stick up a little like beer bottles I can grab, but cassette or VHS tapes that sit flush with the floor I can't get the little selection outline at all.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

GlyphGryph posted:

I thought for sure when Audioshield came out that it was just the beginning of a platform they intended to do a lot more work on but they never went back to finish it up. Typing on the teeny keyboard with a pointer is absolute garbage and sometimes something happens and it doesn't find what I am looking for, even in my own collection which is mad frustrating. It also takes a strangely long time to load the exact same stage you were just on, and there's no "quick replay this song".

That said, I prefer the gameplay section of Audioshield over Soundboxing just due to how clean the environment is. I saw some people ding it around VR-release-time for not being more fireworks shooting out and sparks and words like GREAT and COMBO and MEGASHIELD exploding out all over the place, but I find that to be too distracting. Soundboxing I feel like has too much going on for my tastes. The beat-detection in Audioshield isn't wonderful either, especially when it thinks the tempo changes and blows the rhythm out of the rhythm game. Soundboxing is hit or miss as well, because the motions are all user-submitted so there's some pretty crap ones and some pretty awesome ones. Soundboxing generally promotes a more physical gameplay as well.

They're two interesting variations on the same core mechanic and both good, although I feel like which is better is a personal preference of which is more your style.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Ripcoil's "lean" function makes me think there's possibly a cool skiing or snowboarding game out there ready to be made. Could easily turn into a vomit comet, but it'd be cool if someone tried making some kind of rudimentary demo.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

CapnBry posted:

I thought for sure when Audioshield came out that it was just the beginning of a platform they intended to do a lot more work on but they never went back to finish it up.

That was my overwhelming impression of the game as well, and it just really didn't feel like it justified the pricetag it had (especially since the music isn't actually licensed and it's all semi-stolen through youtube).

Also I actually thought Soundboxing had the cleaner and less distracting environment, so that's weird.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

AndrewP posted:

Ripcoil's "lean" function makes me think there's possibly a cool skiing or snowboarding game out there ready to be made. Could easily turn into a vomit comet, but it'd be cool if someone tried making some kind of rudimentary demo.

The first like 30 seconds of Ripcoil had me thinking "wow this may make me sick" and after that it felt totally natural and kind of amazing. For those who haven't played it, you're standing on a floating platform that you move left and right very quickly just by leaning. I wonder if it would be sickening if there was also the sensation of forward movement, though.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Top Hats Monthly posted:

I don't have quite the GPU but that is extremely relieving. What kind of cooling setup?

I'm on a 3570 (not K) and not overclocked, with a 970, and I've only had trouble with Out of Ammo and Call of the Starseed so far, everything else works fine.

AndrewP posted:

I think it's the acceleration that causes problems, so as long as you don't crash skiing might be doable. Maybe something Slalom style instead of free roaming skiing might work.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Bremen posted:

I think it's the acceleration that causes problems, so as long as you don't crash skiing might be doable. Maybe something Slalom style instead of free roaming skiing might work.

I think it's such a unique thing that someone needs to just make a mockup and see how it feels. It's not quite cockpit, but you are hurtling forward and attached to skis. Tough to say.

StarkRavingMad posted:

The first like 30 seconds of Ripcoil had me thinking "wow this may make me sick" and after that it felt totally natural and kind of amazing. For those who haven't played it, you're standing on a floating platform that you move left and right very quickly just by leaning. I wonder if it would be sickening if there was also the sensation of forward movement, though.

Never felt sick with Ripcoil, but I definitely have done some major flinching when I feel like I'm about to slam into a wall.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

AndrewP posted:

I managed to add staking locomotion with skiing poles to Destinations (although without accelereration). This makes me want to try to extend it to full downhill skiing.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Sorry for asking so many questions, do all VR games seem to have a ton of negative reviews? It is bizarre.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Sorry for asking so many questions, do all VR games seem to have a ton of negative reviews? It is bizarre.

If you mean on Steam, a lot of times they get reviews from people who didn't realize it required a VR headset and complain the game doesn't work, but overall I'd say reviews seem to be pretty good. If you're looking at a game with overwhelmingly negative reviews I'd be cautious.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Bremen posted:

If you mean on Steam, a lot of times they get reviews from people who didn't realize it required a VR headset and complain the game doesn't work, but overall I'd say reviews seem to be pretty good. If you're looking at a game with overwhelmingly negative reviews I'd be cautious.

On the topic of this, Valve really needs to implement an "Are you sure?" feature for VR only games if you purchase them without a registered headset.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Bremen posted:

Out of Ammo, which I see highly recommended by goons, Raw Data and SuperHot (Which, digging into it, some really weird stuff going on there)

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Out of Ammo, which I see highly recommended by goons, Raw Data and SuperHot (Which, digging into it, some really weird stuff going on there)

Raw Data seems to have overwhelmingly positive reviews. Out of Ammo has some negative ones apparently based on feeling the developers abandoned it in early access; Superhot has some reviews saying it's short for the price, though it's worth noting that Superhot and Superhot VR are different games (Superhot VR is also short, though).

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I don't feel that way about Out of Ammo at all, its a very complete game as is with a lot of content at this point. Some people just seem pissed off that they're' trying to recoup their investment with DLC and an upcoming standalone expansion instead of churning out free maps forever.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Bremen posted:

Raw Data seems to have overwhelmingly positive reviews. Out of Ammo has some negative ones apparently based on feeling the developers abandoned it in early access; Superhot has some reviews saying it's short for the price, though it's worth noting that Superhot and Superhot VR are different games (Superhot VR is also short, though).

I refreshed the Raw Data page and now it seems normal. Must have been a hiccup on my end. Thank you.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

CapnBry posted:

I thought for sure when Audioshield came out that it was just the beginning of a platform they intended to do a lot more work on but they never went back to finish it up. Typing on the teeny keyboard with a pointer is absolute garbage and sometimes something happens and it doesn't find what I am looking for, even in my own collection which is mad frustrating. It also takes a strangely long time to load the exact same stage you were just on, and there's no "quick replay this song".

That said, I prefer the gameplay section of Audioshield over Soundboxing just due to how clean the environment is. I saw some people ding it around VR-release-time for not being more fireworks shooting out and sparks and words like GREAT and COMBO and MEGASHIELD exploding out all over the place, but I find that to be too distracting. Soundboxing I feel like has too much going on for my tastes. The beat-detection in Audioshield isn't wonderful either, especially when it thinks the tempo changes and blows the rhythm out of the rhythm game. Soundboxing is hit or miss as well, because the motions are all user-submitted so there's some pretty crap ones and some pretty awesome ones. Soundboxing generally promotes a more physical gameplay as well.

They're two interesting variations on the same core mechanic and both good, although I feel like which is better is a personal preference of which is more your style.

So I tried Soundboxing tonight and I agree with all of this, and I think I also still prefer Audioshield. Mostly because too many of the songs I wanted to try in Soundboxing had no user created beats and a lot of the user created beats I tried were kind of jumbled messes. There were a couple I tried that were great though, when Soundboxing hits and someone really created a great level, it's really good, but it's too hit or miss for me. I also like the Audioshield environment better, especially the big stage one. One thing I'm not sure what CapnBry means is typing on the teeny keyboard -- maybe it changed since you last tried it? They both use the same keyboard controlled by two thumbsticks.

Audioshield, however, is completely broken today for some reason, it can't hit online searches at all. Others are reporting the same problem on the Steam discussions page. So definitely no one should buy Audioshield until that is confirmed fixed.

Poetic Justice posted:

That I'm not sure about actually. If it doesn't have that specific setting, I think a combination of adjusting the zoom and IPD in the deo player would work as well. I will say that every video that I had issues with in other players has looked and played fine in the Deo one, and it's free too, so you might as well check it out and mess around with the different settings. And yeah the Whirligig UI is the one of the worst haha.

I tried out Deo tonight and it does have something approximating what I mean by barrel! It's the fisheye switch in the settings, with that off and SBS 180 and a little adjustment on the other stuff, it works as well as Whirligig on everything, with better control and a way better UI. Definitely my go-to now, thanks for the recommendation.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Oh yeah for Soundboxing its definitely about enjoyong the high ranked playsets, rather than hoping you will enjoy the playset for some specific song you already had in mind.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Anyone know a free way to bring something like a Sketchup model into roomscale VR? https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com has a ton of 3D models that I want to arrange together and walk around in a holodeck.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

I don't know if there's anything already built for that purpose (I kind of doubt it, though), but that sounds like something you could whip together in Unity if you have the know-how/feel like learning.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I found Unity to be the easiest "throw a 3D model in and check it out in VR" program.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Zero VGS posted:

Anyone know a free way to bring something like a Sketchup model into roomscale VR? https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com has a ton of 3D models that I want to arrange together and walk around in a holodeck.

Valve made Destinations for pretty much that. It also lets you upload your creations to the Steam workshop easily. The model importer can be a bit tricky to get working right though.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Out of Ammo is shite. The devs decided that the best thing to do is add more shooter levels and guns instead of adding more strategy options or call-ins, which is its unique selling point against other wave based shooters. It's a bland mess of a game that really did not deserve any of the widespread recommendations that it has received. Other games do every part of it better than Out of Ammo does itself.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Got a vive but returned it after about a week. This VR poo poo has a long way to go. Will try again next generation of gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

soy posted:

Got a vive but returned it after about a week. This VR poo poo has a long way to go. Will try again next generation of gear.

:same: except the return part, it's the best poo poo despite having a long way to go