Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Sappo569 posted:

Ben offering to help someone move :lol:

And a WC Kickstarter, is someone selling more trash ? Wrf

Maybe it's about fundraising for the invention of a more comfortable Water Closet for "large" people like Ben?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/813784178525437952
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/814293130656813056
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/814298734678999045
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/814525532486430720

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Bofast posted:

Was that a Spock vs Q reference?

Edit: Catte tax

That's a good-rear end catte

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

How can it be the best crowdfunded game of 2016 if Chris says the backers shouldn't expect it to have left alpha by the end of 2017?

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Kosumo posted:

You are Derek Smart; What would you do?

You are driving down I95 highway in your Tesla when you round a corner to find a truck that was moving old tires as roll over and the tires have all caught on fire.

Do you -

A - Get out of your car and proceed to doxx the driver, the drivers family, the drivers family's dog and the dog that that dog plays with in the park.

B - Send out a tweet about now this tyre fire will never work and it's impossible.

C - Proceed to get out and approach that fire with your fire extinguisher but stop and tell everyone you can't yet use it until you have heard back from legal .

D - Let it fucken finish.

E - Don't order pizza.

F - Yell "This is 100% garrantied to end in legal action"

G - Hop out of your car but as one of the many alts you use and then tell everyone how right Derek is.

H - Compare the tyre fire unfavorable to Line of Defence

I - Start a Warband.

J - Refure anyone that will listen, that this was all already in your July Blog post.

K - Don't care about it at all cos it has nothing to do with Star Citizen and Chris Roberts.

L - Have your Tesla transform in to a Derekbot and destroy the fire with long winded 'points' and 'logic'.

This 'You are Derek Smart; What would you do?' Is made possible by your catte tax. Always pay your catte tax - helping make the BDDSSE.

Thank you.

This is brilliant :allears:

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Google Butt posted:

hey all i dont read this anymore but i thought id read the last 1000 pages,

:smug:

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Chalks posted:

Hey guys, I've just found out that CIG have upgraded Crysis 2 to use the Star Citizen legacy engine! It's a big deal I promise.

Here, I drew a picture to illustrate it:

Most underrated post (tm).

Gradis
Feb 27, 2016

GAPE APE

I.N.R.I posted:

Hi, hope you're all enoying screaming at the computer game and the people making it. this post is just a quiet reminder for you to call or visit your parents wherever possible, particularly if you havent seen them over the christmas holidays yet. they love and care about you and would love to hear from you

i have had my fill of family for the year. thanks.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Does there even exist a 3.7 or what ever backwards version of the Amazon engine? It seems like they just decided that it exists. Did they download it from some Amazon repo? Is there anyone left from Crytek to sue them?

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Chalks posted:

Hey guys, I've just found out that CIG have upgraded Crysis 2 to use the Star Citizen legacy engine! It's a big deal I promise.

Here, I drew a picture to illustrate it:

ComfyPants posted:

I guess what I'm not clear on is if they left Jennifer on the porch during the 3.8 Cryengine line, how does she appear on the porch in the Lumberyard line at the end of the 3rd movie?

These are both excellent.

his nibs posted:

Don't worry guys, Montoya explains all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UieVs5k0abU
Jesus Christ, he started off by doing the same paint figure that Parry did. (But then he naturally went off and speculated that a lot more was done, than what actually happened).

Edit:

Sillybones posted:

Does there even exist a 3.7 or what ever backwards version of the Amazon engine? It seems like they just decided that it exists. Did they download it from some Amazon repo? Is there anyone left from Crytek to sue them?

There's no 3.7 backwards version for Lumberyard. There's the CryEngine 3.7 version for which apparently Amazon's license includes access to its source code (as well as maybe more history versions stuff from CryEngines repository), but Amazon didn't change anything to CryEngine 3.7. They forked from 3.8.1 and only then did they start adding their own code. But because of the license thing, it's Parry's opinion that Star Engine can now say they switched to Lumberyard ("legacy code"), while essentially remaining forked off CryEngine 3.7 and doing nothing else.

For the record, and not to make anything more complicated, but Amazon's engine (LumberYard) is at beta 1.6

AbstractNapper fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Dec 30, 2016

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

his nibs posted:

Don't worry guys, Montoya explains all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UieVs5k0abU
They just grab bits of code they like guys. And then I suppose they layer it on top of ideas. Easy.

The reason the game is 2 years late is because the ideas won't come thick and fast enough. Chris is overworked over here, give him a loving break. What's that? Monaco? Well give another one then. Sheesh.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

tooterfish posted:

The reason the game is 2 years late is because the ideas won't come thick and fast enough. Chris is overworked over here, give him a loving break. What's that? Monaco? Well give another one then. Sheesh.

Nah the reason ~video game~ is late is because Supreme Commander Scope Creep means instead of a Freelance Clone we're getting... I dunno. A "universe simulator".
Which is a pretty nice marketing buzzword no matter how you spread that peanut butter on your toast.

Anyway I look forward to playing it after CD Projekt Red release Cyberpunk 2077 in the year 2077. Mike Pondsmith is loving legendary and his world building is my gold standard to this very day.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Kosumo posted:

You are Christ Roberts; What would you do?

You are driving down Pacific coast highway in your limited edition Porsche when you round a corner to find a truck that was moving old tires as roll over and the tires have all caught on fire.

Do you -

-stop and yell, fire doesnt exist and the truck delivery is on time.
In addition chris moves more old tires inside the truck to explain the delay.

Kosumo posted:

You are Derek Smart; What would you do?

You are driving down I95 highway in your Tesla when you round a corner to find a truck that was moving old tires as roll over and the tires have all caught on fire.

Do you -

-stop and yell, the truck has stopped and will never deliver those old tire's.
Then interview everyone in the truck company, for leaks.

Kosumo posted:

You are Goons; What would you do?

You are driving down the information highway in your shopping trolly when you round a corner to find a truck that was moving old tires as roll over and the tires have all caught on fire.

Do you -
-Stop and start taking pictures,its once in the life time event.
and laugh at all the redditors driving full speed into the truck.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The correct answer is to stop and laugh at the goons who "ironically" became redditors in the same way that a crazy person "ironically" climbs through the seat of an open air concert port-a-loo to roll around and wallow in the human excrement in the wheelie bin below.

You may also stop and laugh at the redditors who bought SA accounts to join the :bandwagon:

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

I don't know about anyone else but I'm very serious about this game.

Okay this pre vertical slice. Any day now. Two weeks.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

How can he have nearly 4 years of knowledge about Star Citizen when it didn't begin development until two years ago???

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

DancingShade posted:

The correct answer is to stop and laugh at the goons who "ironically" became redditors in the same way that a crazy person "ironically" climbs through the seat of an open air concert port-a-loo to roll around and wallow in the human excrement in the wheelie bin below.

You may also stop and laugh at the redditors who bought SA accounts to join the :bandwagon:

What if I am just casually doing both these things?

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Bofast posted:

Was that a Spock vs Q reference?

Maybe :thejoke: but it's a reference to Casablanca.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Sillybones posted:

What if I am just casually doing both these things?

Then there is only one conclusion. :itwaspoo:

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Anyone seen Tarkaroshe lately? I've kind of missed his insufferably smug idiocy.

also its been a while since we've seen Jakeacappella, the latest stream was without him.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
HORNET F7C-M SEAT GLITCH; EXIT THE SEAT WILL PORT YOU TO UNKNOWN SPACE!

STEPS TO REPRODUCE

1 From menue chosse universe -> crusader -> spawn your Hornet F7CM at a landing platform
2 If you are standing next to your ship, you can choose between gunner and pilot seat. Take the gunner seat!
3 Once the animation has started, you can still select the pilot seat. Look in the direction of the pilot seat and press F again.
4 For me now several things happened. One time I was in the gunner seat altough only the front canopy was opened, at the second time my character glitched from the gunner seat to the pilot seat and the ragdoll was "callapsed / wraped".
5 Now press "F" and hold for exit your ship. Now you should be about 20k meters from your F7CM away floating in space with parts of wrecked ships and twisted corpses.

ACTUAL RESULT
The overlaying of the two animations leads to a serious bug. The next time I try to see if I can fly back to the ship.

EXPECTED RESULT
It should no longer be possible to choose another seat when the animation has begun. Or the original animation should be canceled and then the new one should be started.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Somebody make a gif of this split commando flying through CIG's promo footage.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Serak posted:

So (and back to endless game engine chat):

'StarEngine' is based on Crytek 3.7, yes?
Which had not been the latest version of the engine for a while even prior to Crytek's downfall, but (short of CIG wanting to take advantage of new features) there was no pressing reason for them to upgrade their code base to the newer Crytek 3.8+ release. They could stick with 3.7 indefinitely, releasing even their 'final product' based on 3.7.

Now that they've signed on with Amazon, surely this is not the case, yes? Amazon forked Lumberyard from 3.8, and then added all their poo poo on top of that. It's in AMAZON's interest that any releases are on top of their version of the engine, not just some legacy version that they also happen to have a licence for. I mean, Amazon's profit here comes from forcing the use of AWS, which I imagine was the No.1 addition they made once they initially forked Lumberyard?

Would I be right in assuming then that CIG have actually created the additional issue of updating the game to a newer 3.8 codebase (in addition to Amazon's own Lumberyard changes) - which did not exist before?

Does anyone have more detail of the licencing requirement that Amazon demand?

All of your questions are answered here: http://dereksmart.com/2016/12/star-citizen-irreconcilable-differences/

I did all the work so that mere mortals didn't have to. :grin:

ComfyPants posted:

I guess what I'm not clear on is if they left Jennifer on the porch during the 3.8 Cryengine line, how does she appear on the porch in the Lumberyard line at the end of the 3rd movie?

:perfect:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

hanales posted:

Maybe :thejoke: but it's a reference to Casablanca.

Oh. I should watch that someday.
I can only assume that they were making a Casablanca reference here, as well, then:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kTlGmmU4ao&t=109s

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Is it also spinning? Please, God, let it be spinning!

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

I.N.R.I posted:

Hi, hope you're all enoying screaming at the computer game and the people making it. this post is just a quiet reminder for you to call or visit your parents wherever possible, particularly if you havent seen them over the christmas holidays yet. they love and care about you and would love to hear from you

Must be nice to have parents who are smart and kind and who understand that hobbies aren't free.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Bofast posted:

Oh. I should watch that someday.
I can only assume that they were making a Casablanca reference here, as well, then:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kTlGmmU4ao&t=109s

Yeah they are. Here is the scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjbPi00k_ME

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Do you think all of the fasteners on Ben's clothing have been replaced with velcro?

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

In the last 500 years, the Fourth Stimpire has dominated four systems, which it has united into one starzone, Stimsis. The Fourth Stimpire has origins from the Ten Empire War in which 10 of the United Stimpires revolted against each rules. All empires except for the fourth swore freedom upon their citizens. There is no free speech in the Fourth Stimpire, and all self-controlled transportation has been made illegal without undergoing painful medical verification methods, in which arteries are severed without pain resistant, operated entirely by machines. The way they work claim to be the most hygenic and healthy way possible, but these machines often rub against pain points, causing great deals of pain to patients. The heart is then extracted from the body and placed into a glass grinding machine. Various energy centers are also dissected and replaced with dangerous transplants. After the painful, 52 hour surgical procedure, patients will then have to use a fused guidance tool, which pumps painful resistors into the body every 2 hours. The pain they have caused is so bad, the victim would freeze in a tense position. They would then collapse afterwards.

Sexual stimulation in any way within the grounds of the Fourth Stimpire is strictly prohibited, and anyone detected even touching their sexual organs will be subjected to a penectomy or if the offender was a female, they would then have a razor inserted into their ovaries. They would pump a blue solution into the womb until the stitchings burst. Offenders would also be forced to show their operated areas in public, and they would always harass and punch them to a pulp, against their will.

Otherwise, offenders would be tazed with the worst type of electricity in the systematic district, causing so much pain, the victim would scream and flail in madness. The pain would also triple every second, but no death would be incurred. This is also used in combat against enemy units, which is why all UEE forces must wear the upgraded suit to block this effect.

However, enertainment is also questionable in UEE grounds. Sporting events end with the losing team being rounded into a grinder and shredded on live television, boxing matches end with the loser having their hands removed without anasthesia, flight races would end with the losers having their arms and legs removed, then being injected with insanity, for entertainment. People are also forced into these events, by undergoing a painful 127 hour procedure which involves tweaking the muscles so they will not listen to brain commands, and then having a painful drug injected which also causes madness if the player is not sporting. This is all for entertainment, and anyone not watching any of it during sporting times and cheering for the winning team, they will be imprisoned into galactic camps.

Snuff films are also broadcast, and actors are actually murdered just for entertainment. Stealth droids also guide these forced actors into behaving exactly as the director dreams, otherwise they will be punished by being placed into a macerator and having their execution written into the film. Any film that does not feature someone being murdered will be burned and the entire crew behind it will be executed in the most grotesque way possible - vivisection.

All executions are broadcast, and anyone who misses even a millisecond, even by blinking, will be executed. All citizens must boo to the person being executed, and the family is gathered to be injected with eternators, which cause pain forever, making them immoral but feeling the pain tenfold every millisecond. They cannot pass out, but they will feel like it forever.

Conquests by this Stimpire end in the planet being razed, and all the citizens being executed in the same way as their citizens are. The planet is then destroyed and all remnants of it are removed, and any memories of it will be erased instantly from civil minds. People who are also killed are also erased from memories, and all memories of them, including toys and pictures, are destroyed.

Prisoners undergo 40,000 years of relentless and endless labor, and anyone not complying is sentenced to the eternator injection. All prisoners injected with eternators are placed into capsules and launched into far space, then the room is closed tight to ensure maximum insanity. Some prisoners are also subjected to the removal of blood, the lungs, the liver, the genitals, the skeleton, the muscles, the eyes, and even the injection of pressure. Prisoners sentenced to pressure chambers are locked in until they are inflated to a high level. The decompression is then stopped to make sure they are inflated and uncomfortable.

Children born on the 14th of July are subjected to the removal of their skeleton and an implant of a silver liquid to replace it. The nervous sysem is also injected in various parts to ensure it is five times more sensitive than the average.

Restaurants also are ordered to serve civil meat, and anyone attending must give themself up to be cooked into a grotesque meal. They are cooked alive, undergoing extreme pain, and are then subjected to industrial grinders and blenders. The Stimpire orders at least 1 million citizens to be dispatched every day, as they are afraid the population may overthrow them. But only one planet is cared for, and the rest are banned from eating, drinking, talking, using technology, touching anyone, wearing unauthorized clothes, touching buildings, or walking a centimeter out of designated routes. Civil enforcers are on every planet, and they are engineered so that they are 40 times larger than the 300 quadrillion population. At least 7 billion die every 12 hours under this rule.

Thoughts are also surveyed, and anyone who does not think anything to loving the Stimpire with more than their capabilities will be sentenced to a prison. Prisoners who are punished for this violation will meet their greatest fear, only to have it amplified so they will turn insane as they imagine it exactly as they fear it. They then undergo a painful extraction of all fluids, to be replaced by a toxin which causes permanent irritation. The unknown substance keeps the subject aging normally, except they will never die. Prisoners punished in this way are unable to be reverted, despite many efforts, and they will never be able to be disposed.

The sickening truths have been revealed only today, and invigilation teams are still investigating the truths without setting foot in the galactic space of this sickening empire.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Raskolnikov posted:

I will call your parents please give me their phone number. Or a picture of them, I can doxx from there. Thanks in advance.

Their phone number is 69

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
ACTUAL RESULT
Wave 1 begins - I am inside an asteroid, and exploded, losing 1 respawn
EXPECTED RESULT
Then round 1 starts I should be at the spawn point

EXPECTED RESULT
Lighting should work and make sense. For ex. opening a cargo door should bring light into the cargo bay.
If the game had ran smoothly, then no one would lose their weapons on re-spawn. I must again emphasize that even the ability to melee disappears.
Should have fully functioning weapons. Nuff said.
Should be a limitation on how far your head can look around.
The game should connect to CIG Services via Wuhan with China Telecom (like it did in 2.5).
Show actual damage on HUD or if this is not the issue then not be killed with a good hull.
The player has to make a somersault on the ground
it just doesn't start, if i click retry I get the same error message if I click ignore it loads a black page
The Client Observer should have seen the P-52 enter the Cargo Bay door and land before the Client Operator exited the P-52. From that point both the Client Observer and Client Operator should have been able to interact with the P-52.
Get a reward for restoring Comm Array Uplink, Crimestat ages out and i can spawn in Olisar.
Be able to always Use terminals without them being unresponsive.
Be able to load into other game modes freely without having an infinite loading screen.
For there to be no player warping or "rubber banding" issues with low ping.
For the audio in Star Marine to be clear and audible.
For the laser sight to always remain centered.
The ships should be firmly locked onto what ever surface they are on while shut down. even in the PU.. when I land on a landing pad.. I can see my ship slowly drifting around.. this has been around since the very first day of the PU. it should not be too hard to implement something that locks the ship in place (on a surface) while power is off.. Or even provide us some form of toggle-able landing gear clamps.
Be able to form a party.
Take the RANK stripes off the Armor ..HooAh ..Thank You! ...this isnt the First Time you've heard this ..lol
Expect to be able to fly without blowing up as long as my ship doesn't impact the station
Be able to search for a public match as a team against 8 pub. players.
smooth turning and aiming
Game registers button input every time it is pressed.
Your view mustn't be obstructed by any magazines. Also, the visors aren't supposed to disappear.
smoke trail and explosion on hit, dmg done to enemy
I spawn my Retaliator. I enter my Retaliator. I hit "f" key to use the pilot seat. My character begins the animation for climbing into the pilot seat. When the animation finishes, the character is much too close to the cockpit's windshield/canopy. This leaves very little visibility, the Field of View is reduced, and with the 3rd person view it looks like the character model is floating in front of the pilot's chair rather than sitting in it.
Enemy AI engages myself and other AI
All Of the Game Options seem to work on a Persistent Save Premise? As such I expect that when I save any of my OPTIONS or KEYBINDS in the Advanced Controls Customization. They will be the same the next time I Log In ..Thank You! :-)
Y and X on the joystick and Y (xinput3) and X (xinput3) on the other device should be read as different inputs and not conflict. Also the mouse should be used for free look without deactivating the joystick input.
normal play
Only one should climb ladder (the one who pressed the USE key first). Nobody should be stuck ever.
Character should assume ragdoll behaviour
Seat and avatar move in a coordinated fashion ending with the avatar facing forward in the seat.
Character should start walking normaly.
I was supposed to be able to follow the discussion in chat, to send messages, to leave the shield operator station ?
Be able to download the game and install
The Hud in your ship should remember your settings for each ship so it is persistent. Also weapon groups should save and not reset.
Passenger should remain inside the ship.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
FREELANCER STARTS SPINNING AT RE-ENTERING

STEPS TO REPRODUCE
1 Leaving the Ship in Cusader
2 Ship start spinning a little bit
3 When coming back into the ship at a slightly wrong angle its starts zu spin endlessy
4 The Charakter gets shot away

ACTUAL RESULT
See Video

EXPECTED RESULT
no spinning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZivARBJ6_0

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
has anyone said Scam Shitizen yet?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
ACTUAL RESULT
Sometime after grabbing a medpen from the health dispenser, your character will play the "grabbing" animation at random, as if he is trying to grab the medpen, no matter where you're at or what you're doing. It has happened during mid-combat, running, crouching, and even during EVA.
EXPECTED RESULT
No "grabbing" animation except when actually collecting ammo or medpen from dispensers.

EXPECTED RESULT
Execution of the inner thought system when pressing 'F' when using item/exit or enter ship/use doors etc.
merlin should stay put on the ground
Using (f) w/modifier command, the player should be able to exit their seat.
Camera moves freely and "use" interactions work after the animation.
No framerate drop during quantum jump
I die in hornet and caterpillar laughs.
I expected to mount the ballistic weapons to my ship and be able to fire them at enemy targets.
Loading process should finish after some amount of time and game should be started.
It should allow you to make the changes and go back to use them in game
Framerates without fire: 25 - 30 frames / with fire: 5 - 10 frames
I expected to exit the vehicle and EVA to the signal as the mission requires.
The weapon should shoot ammunition
appear and play
I should have boarded the ship without issue.
Pirates should not be able to shoot through objects.
The view to revert to default once you stop aiming down sights.
Door should auto open to allow entry
the ship should stay exactly where I left it.
You stay in the ship.
I normally get a scoreboard recapping the end results of the game, and an amount of REC, and my leaderboard stats to update. None of these things have occurred once since 2.6.
Should always spawn with both primary and secondary weapons.
To be able to control everything in the HUD as in 2.5
The shots of any weapon should effect the target when hit. If I keep hitting a Vanduul Swarm target it should explode.
You should not receive this error and should be able to play normally.
After leaving any spacecraft, the character shouldn't die suddenly.
Corpse should still be visible inside the armor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFxt5tB9Sfg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ-6xTCBa3Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQ_B58iJIRI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nd-HGPaNq0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piSTrmZZymE&t=15s

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar

his nibs posted:

has anyone said Scam Shitizen yet?

You just did.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

tooterfish posted:

Chris is overworked over here, give him a loving break. What's that? Monaco? Well give another one then. Sheesh.

You can tell how hard this guy works, walking around the office in a sweating suit eating a bowl of cereal. Some people took this as proof he was working every minute, but maybe it really shows he's a lazy person with inappropriate boundaries? It's not really the uniform of an industrious person doing real work.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
There's some inspired thinking in their lunacy in changing horses midstream without too much hassle, however it's quite revealing of the dire straits they're in.

I think Star Citizen is based off Cryengine 3.6 and it might have had an update into 3.7 at some point while slowly turning into "StarEngine". Having Crytek devs on hand might have helped but you can't magically turn a one trick pony into a showhorse, even if you have access to the source code. But "his will be done" and StarEngine today is a horrid mash of hacks, forgotten code and things leftover by programmers go by leading to errors no one knows why occur.

It's also telling that they're not actually moving up into Lumberyard 3.8 as that means removing everything they did on StarEngine and getting entangled with Amazon's new T&C's, which possibly only comes into play with 3.8 and onwards. They would also have to start from scratch as a merge would break everything so they're forced to stay where they are.

So the only "clever" thing they've done is had their cake and eat it (at the cost of there being no more cake to eat) and they're in the same spot as they were just before.
They are stuck on an engine that is outdated by four years and has a reputation for being woefully unoptimised unless you buy it outright and work it to bits like the Dunia engine has become.

in 2011 CIG/RSI was on a lean budget at inception and Crytek was desperate for takers so it's been an unholy union of co-dependency which has only been severed by Amazon doing a mercy sale to keep the dead horse of Crytek alive for a few more months.

CIS/RSI could have had at some point brought they way out into a new engine, but blew any cash they had on mo-cap studios and other frivolities as they genuinely expected 2011 - 2014 to be a viable timeline with whatever their coked up budget estimates were formulated back in the gold rush. Persisting with Cryengine was the only way forward as it was fiscally viable and "worked".

I suspect the DirectX 12 announcements might have been an attempt to foreshadow a move into Cryengine 5. I suppose logistically it could have been "cheaper" with the "pay what you want model", but under the hood the engine was a completely different beast and would have meant starting nearly completely from scratch.
Or they've looked at CE5 and hoped to backport key features into the older code.

Bottom line is they are unbelievably forked. And they know it as everything since the release of Arena Commander and the Hangar Module has been a smoke and mirrors as they are unable to pull off a sliver of their expectations with a tool that was only ever meant to be for wandering around landscapes.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I.N.R.I posted:

My parents are DEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAADDD!!!!!!!! :nolan:

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

noice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Years later backers still can't visit each other's hangars, yet the game is definitely progressing nicely.