Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

my dad posted:

Oh, I meant on SA, but thanks anyway. :)

It's on my "Some day I'm going to LP that thing if I ever start LP-ing things" list.

I remember someone trying to LP this game on these forums but it fizzled out. I participated a bit mainly so I could submit a joke name for one of the characters: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HevM-35hJUE

One detail I do remember is that our party's saint was determined at random, and we pulled Santa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
A goon made a post about a Darklands LP in the sandcastle a few days ago, so we might just get one soon. :)

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cythereal posted:

*Baptist screaming intensifies*

Nice contribution to the discussion

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Cythereal posted:

*Baptist screaming intensifies*

we know baptists are lame, you don't have to keep reminding us

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mo Tzu posted:

Nice contribution to the discussion

Fair enough, should have taken the hint after last time.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Meridian posted:

I am thinking about attending Mass this Saturday. Haven't been to church in years and never to a Catholic service. Hope I enjoy it.

Not sure about your faith background, but it can be weird for people not used to high church services. If they don't have a convenient card with all the responses on it (I have no idea why my parish does not do this) then all the liturgical prayers/responses can be found in the front section of the missalette along with the Nicene Creed. It took me an embarrassingly long time to figure this out. Being able to actually follow along with what's going on is pretty fun.

Oh, and don't take Communion. You could, I guess, go up with your arms crossed over your chest like an X and receive a blessing but apparently this confuses some priests or you might wind up in a line with an EMHC anyway so I'd just recommend remaining in the pews.

The first Mass I went to blew me away with how cool it was though since I was used to low church stuff.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

The Phlegmatist posted:

Not sure about your faith background, but it can be weird for people not used to high church services. If they don't have a convenient card with all the responses on it (I have no idea why my parish does not do this) then all the liturgical prayers/responses can be found in the front section of the missalette along with the Nicene Creed. It took me an embarrassingly long time to figure this out. Being able to actually follow along with what's going on is pretty fun.

Oh, and don't take Communion. You could, I guess, go up with your arms crossed over your chest like an X and receive a blessing but apparently this confuses some priests or you might wind up in a line with an EMHC anyway so I'd just recommend remaining in the pews.

The first Mass I went to blew me away with how cool it was though since I was used to low church stuff.

That is good to know, thank you for the heads up. I did not intend to take Communion since I am more or less just a tourist and haven't done any of the things required for it.

There are a few Catholic churches in the area so I figured I would check them all out.

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."

Meridian posted:

That is good to know, thank you for the heads up. I did not intend to take Communion since I am more or less just a tourist and haven't done any of the things required for it.

There are a few Catholic churches in the area so I figured I would check them all out.

try to figure out which one has the silliest hats and then go there

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
In a couple weeks:

Meridian posted:

I took your guys' advice and found the Catholic church with the silliest hats. What's an SSPX?

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Think bigger:

Meridian posted:

I took your guys' advice and found the Catholic church with the silliest hats. What's a Palmarian Church? 

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Are there cool hats in Greek Orthodox? Pretty sure there is one of those up the road.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Meridian posted:

Are there cool hats in Greek Orthodox? Pretty sure there is one of those up the road.

You were saying? :v:

Yes, it's the Russian Patriarch, but the hats should be the same :ssh:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

System Metternich posted:

The little fold-down cross is just my favourite thing. There's something about the sensible modern convenience of it being hinged along with what a gorgeously daft hat it is.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Something you might find interesting, then: In Catholic Marian theology, Mary has a special place in devotion to Saints. God is afforded worship, known as latria. Only God is worthy of worship. The devotion which is given to the saints is called dulia. The Virgin Mary is the sole recipient of the highest form of devotion to a saint known as hyperdulia. So theologically she is afforded a higher place than the other saints, but in no way is part of the worship due to God alone.

would you say hyperdulia is more "over 9000", or more "yo dawg..."

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Lutha Mahtin posted:

would you say hyperdulia is more "over 9000", or more "yo dawg..."

Not to get into the discussion on if and how Mary can be considered "submitting" within Catholic doctrine, let me just list a couple of her titles real quick to weird out our Protestant friends itt: :v:

• Mary
  • Full of Grace
  • Mother of God
  • Ever-virgin
  • Most Blessed Virgin
  • Spouse of the Holy Spirit
  • Queen Conceived Without Original Sin
  • Queen Assumed into Heaven
  • Queen of Heaven
  • New Eve
  • Help of Christians
  • Star of the Sea
  • Cause of our Salvation
  • Most Holy
  • Most Pure
  • Immaculate
  • Mother of Victory
  • Queen of Peace
  • She Who Shows the Way
  • Throne of Wisdom
  • Mother of Mercy
  • Mother of Sorrows
  • Ark of the Covenant
  • Comfort of the Afflicted
  • Gate of Heaven
  • Health of the Sick
  • Morning Star
  • Mother of the Church
  • Mystical Rose
  • Our Lady of Charity
  • Our Lady of Compassion
  • Our Lady of Confidence
  • Our Lady of Good Success
  • Our Lady of Grace
  • Our Lady of Light
  • Our Lady of Peace
  • Our Lady of Prompt Succor
  • Our Lady of Providence
  • Our Lady of Ransom
  • Our Lady of Solitude
  • Queen of Apostles
  • Queen of Confessors
  • Queen of Families
  • Queen of Patriarchs
  • Queen of Prophets
  • Queen of Virgins
  • Queen of All Saints
  • Queen of Poland
  • Refuge of Sinners
  • Salvation of the People of Rome
  • Tower of David
  • Untier of Knots
  • Mother of Good Counsel
  • Mother Thrice Admirable
  • Life-giving Spring
  • The Queen Who is by the Right Side of the King
  • She Who has Faith
  • She Who Prostrates to Allah in Worship
  • She Who Bows Down to Allah in Worship
  • She Who Was Purified
  • She Who Is Chosen
  • Light
  • Mother of Light
  • She who fasts
  • She who never sinned
  • Ivory Tower
  • Golden Home
  • Salvation of the Sick
  • Chalice of the Spirit
  • She Who Treads Down on Snakes
  • Seat of Wisdom
  • Mirror of Justice
  • Temple of the Holy Spirit
  • Cause of Our Joy

Also she's the patroness of (amongst others)
  • airplance crews
  • bicyclists
  • blood donors
  • boatmen
  • clothworkers
  • coffeehouse keepers and owners
  • construction workers
  • cooks
  • coopers
  • crusaders
  • distillers
  • drapers
  • the Enlightenment
  • fishermen
  • fish dealers
  • goldsmiths
  • harness makers
  • lamp makers
  • monks
  • mothers
  • navigators
  • needle and pin makers
  • news sellers
  • nuns
  • potters
  • restaurateurs
  • ribbon makers
  • sailors
  • silk workers
  • silversmiths
  • tapestry workers
  • travellers
  • tilemakers
  • upholsterers
  • virgins
  • yachtsmen
  • a fuckton of places, dioceses and countries
  • several armies and navies all over the world
  • Europe
  • Mankind

I also put a couple of Islamic titles of her in the list, I didn't know that apparently their devotion to Mary was that pronounced as well!

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Her titles are over 9000! :kingsley:

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Bel_Canto posted:

try to figure out which one has the silliest hats and then go there

This is good advice though. Meridian you might want to look for someplace that does the Traditional Latin Mass eventually to experience it. Make sure it's either connected to a diocese or is part of the FSSP or the ICKSP because you get too far beyond that and you start finding places where they start throwing Protestants in the cookpot at the end of Mass (along with the customary Jesuit.)

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

HopperUK posted:

The little fold-down cross is just my favourite thing. There's something about the sensible modern convenience of it being hinged along with what a gorgeously daft hat it is.
i'm flabbergasted nobody came up with it before now, esp. considering what happened to the crown of hungary

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

The Phlegmatist posted:

This is good advice though. Meridian you might want to look for someplace that does the Traditional Latin Mass eventually to experience it. Make sure it's either connected to a diocese or is part of the FSSP or the ICKSP because you get too far beyond that and you start finding places where they start throwing Protestants in the cookpot at the end of Mass (along with the customary Jesuit.)

Harumph. I haven't boiled a prot in weeks.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

i am learning how to dress well and i JUST noticed that one guard's shirt sleeve protruding from his jacket sleeve like mittens on a child and now i can't unsee it gently caress

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

Worthleast posted:

Harumph. I haven't boiled a prot in weeks.

jesuits, on the other hand...

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Bel_Canto posted:

jesuits, on the other hand...

Once the jesuit is placed into the crockpot, he undergoes substantial change to hotdish and ceases to be a jesuit. Therefore I have never boiled any jesuits.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Worthleast posted:

Once the jesuit is placed into the crockpot, he undergoes substantial change to hotdish and ceases to be a jesuit. Therefore I have never boiled any jesuits.

So when you say you haven't boiled a protestant in weeks... :v:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

zonohedron posted:

So when you say you haven't boiled a protestant in weeks... :v:
meat has no religion, as it is incapable of belief

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

HEY GAL posted:

meat has no religion, as it is incapable of belief

As a creature made of meat, I can confirm this checks out.

e: but wait, without belief, how can I be sure I'm made of meat?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i will have to meat you to check

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

HEY GAL posted:

Seasoned greetings, fellow meat.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Seasoned greetings, fellow meat.
happy hollandaise, friend

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

HEY GAL posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FA6k-a8-qvM

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

congratulations your joke stumbled upon the most popular atheist equivocation ever

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

The Phlegmatist posted:

congratulations your joke stumbled upon the most popular atheist equivocation ever

Oh it didn't stumble, that was 100% intentional.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Oh it didn't stumble, that was 100% intentional.

*channels Van Til*

How would your meat even be there if it wasn't for God? Furthermore, how could you make that joke without an understanding of the divine?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

The Phlegmatist posted:

*channels Van Til*

How would your meat even be there if it wasn't for God? Furthermore, how could you make that joke without an understanding of the divine?

My humor is a sufficient first cause in itself, an Unamused Amuser, if you will.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Unamused Amuser
i have just the jpg

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

The Phlegmatist posted:

*channels Van Til*

because gently caress you buddy

this, btw, is the proper response to any type of presuppositionalism anywhere

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
meat can be presuppersitional

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.
:allears:

I venerate this thread.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I venerate the immortal God-Emperor as per Space Marine librarian unit bark in Dawn of War.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

HEY GAL posted:

i'm flabbergasted nobody came up with it before now, esp. considering what happened to the crown of hungary

I've never seen the crown of Hungary before and the sight of it made me laugh and I consider this your fault.

Jaunty!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Question for Orthodox goons: I'm reading a history book that's partially about Russia, and there's been mention of at least a couple of foreign-born princesses who changed their names when they converted to Orthodoxy to marry into the Russian royal family. Is name changing on conversion a common thing in Orthodoxy, or is this just Russia being weird?

• Locked thread