Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
You know, I hate Luann as much as anyone, but...a lesbian character in a traditional decades old newspaper comic strip is pretty ding dang cool. I'm being generous right now and assuming it'll go somewhere cool with Les, too, so maybe he won't be an irredeemable cocksuck?

ANYWAY

Pop Team Epic

Honey Come Chatka

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Slammy posted:

Richard's Poor Almanac (click for big)

I never understood the people with a bunch of stuffed animals in their rear window. When I see it, it doesn't appear to be a car full of kids, and even if it was, what good does having stuffed animals behind everyone where they can't even see it do?

By the way, I did miss your posts. I enjoy the old comics, and thanks for posting them.

I am also not sure why people are giving SomeGuyTT so much flak. I don't mind him posting a few thoughts, and I especially don't mind when he gives a little explanation into some of the Korean cultural stuff.

Anyways, back to the real reason we all come here: comics:

F Minus

Mary Worth

It'll go great with your Mom Jeans!

Rex Morgan MD

"I don't know why you are asking me. I'm really not a good doctor."

Secret Agent X-9

Apartment 3-G

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Neither of you are even dicing those carrots! Those are full circles! Ballard Street

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

"What's your take on this?" "Not that unusual except the memory loss" "... what did you think I was referring to when I asked for your take on it? How could I have meant anything besides the memory loss?"

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (December 6, 1951)

Nancy (January 20, 1944)

Wash Tubbs (September 19, 1929)

Gasoline Alley (October 18, 1923)

Lil' Abner (June 17, 1937)

Barney Google (October 19, 1922)

Alley Oop (January 18, 1934)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Peanuts (January 1, 1970)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (March 5-6, 1930)

Thimble Theater (July 18, 1930)

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Johnny Walker posted:

I am also not sure why people are giving SomeGuyTT so much flak. I don't mind him posting a few thoughts, and I especially don't mind when he gives a little explanation into some of the Korean cultural stuff.

Cultural context is 100% fine and great and appreciated, but lately he's been seizing every opportunity to write tendentious, unsourced hot takes about the sociopolitical scales on everyone else's eyes, which I get more than enough of in threads where that has any excuse for occurring.

To everyone who posts comics, I do appreciate it. Even if your comics are bad, I at least appreciate the misanthropy powering your twisted actions.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I post comics because the feeling of someone saying they enjoyed something I posted and that I also like shoots me up with so much validation I ride the feeling like all day.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I post Ballard Street because I like it.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
don't make me come back to this thread and start posting Oh Baby again, I'll fuckin' do it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

Eh...maybe I should just post comics instead.

lmao

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

I seize the means of posting

Ella Cinders

... uh

That Rookie

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

You probably don't want to know what noises their other body parts are making.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

WickedHate posted:

I post comics because the feeling of someone saying they enjoyed something I posted and that I also like shoots me up with so much validation I ride the feeling like all day.

I don't post comics, I just read them and mostly just badpost about how I don't get them, but I want to let you know that HCC has become probably my fave comic posted ITT, so thanks!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I post comics because I want people to know I exist. :(

The Dinette Set paces itself.

Working Daze looks forwards, not back.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix does what it needs to to feel better.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

smug n stuff posted:

I don't post comics, I just read them and mostly just badpost about how I don't get them, but I want to let you know that HCC has become probably my fave comic posted ITT, so thanks!

:blush:

Thank you very much! That means a lot.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Aardmania posted:

Dick Tracy

Not bringing Ebony along on this trip, I see.

By the way, I totally missed it earlier this year, but Mell Lazarus ended "Momma" by killing her off, from the grave.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

Selachian posted:

Not bringing Ebony along on this trip, I see.

By the way, I totally missed it earlier this year, but Mell Lazarus ended "Momma" by killing her off, from the grave.

oh my god

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I love how most of the guests are clearly just cut out of semi-appropriate at best normal strips and pasted in.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I'm glad she's dead.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost
CREATORS COM / © 2016 MELL LAZARUS / kpop3@aol.com

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

To everyone who posts comics, I do appreciate it. Even if your comics are bad, I at least appreciate the misanthropy powering your twisted actions.

Or, how I learned to stop worrying and love Rose is Rose.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze looks forwards, not back.

lmao what a poo poo half-hearted tribute.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Zereth posted:

I love how most of the guests are clearly just cut out of semi-appropriate at best normal strips and pasted in.
Yeah the scanned in ones really stand out a lot. That Farley looks especially bad to me. Maybe it's not as noticeable in newsprint.

Naturally, the different styles will clash but Blondie pulled it off a while back. I remember it because they had a Halloween party and the Forths weren't invited so Ces did a cartoon where he edited in Ted in all the panels.

Who's the B&W guy at the far right in that Momma strip?

Murdstone fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Dec 30, 2016

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery

Johnny Walker posted:

Yeah the scanned in ones really stand out a lot. That Farley looks especially bad to me. Maybe it's not as noticeable in newsprint.

Naturally, the different styles will clash but Blondie pulled it off a while back. I remember it because they had a Halloween party and the Forths weren't invited so Ces did a cartoon where he edited in Ted in all the panels.

Wait, the loving Tinkersons ghoul-children were there and the Forths weren't? Gotta be some kind of syndicate thing, right?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ghostlight posted:

lmao what a poo poo half-hearted tribute.

Oh god I didn't even notice that. You can tell he just took a GIS'd image, rotated it a bit in Photoshop, and pasted into the normal comic.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Manuel Calavera posted:

Or, how I learned to stop worrying and love Rose is Rose.

Let's not go crazy.

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Pooch Café

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I know it's supposed to be a man'o'war, but the colorist knows exactly what this strip is- a giant floating turd.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Zereth posted:

Goes with the joke being copied from Spike Milligan's gravestone, tbh

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen

Johnny Walker posted:

I think that is supposed to be Dean Doozie from The Doozies comic strip.

It looks like Mell Lazarus was friends with Tom Gammill based on some of his appearances in Tom's Youtube videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIKwVYFTy34
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USmnqN0FQE8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wT4nacPW0Ds

edit: I guess this confirms it.

Aardmania fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Dec 30, 2016

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

:tipshat:

Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

This is goddamn amazing. I can't stop laughing.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Arlo and Janis Classic (Oct. 24, 1994)

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Zereth posted:

In Mell's defence he was dead when he drew this strip. Given that I think his photoshop skills deserve a little credit.

As I understand it the comic was composed in photoshop by his daughter, but most of the characters aren't copy-pasted; they were drawn specially by the artists of the other comics. Obviously this doesn't apply in all cases, as not all of them have Lazarus's unique talent for post-mortem cartooning.

NRVNQSR fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Dec 30, 2016

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
:popeye:
holy moly that piano!!!

and holy poo poo Greg Evans!!!

NRVNQSR posted:

In Mell's defence he was dead when he drew this strip. Given that I think his photoshop skills deserve a little credit.

As I understand it the comic was composed in photoshop by his daughter, but most of the characters aren't copy-pasted; they were drawn specially by the artists of the other comics. Obviously this doesn't apply in all cases, as not all of them have Lazarus's unique talent for post-mortem cartooning.

The article states that it was composed by Jerry Scott (of Zits and Baby Blues).

Also I think at least one character wasn't drawn for the occasion, at least not by the original artist. Guess which!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

a) Morrie Turner's self portrait deserves a post

b) looks like Greg's Sketchbook wasn't too far off the mark

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Strontium posted:

:tipshat:

Intelligent Life

Not sure that Ferengi is a step above Klingon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eS-jWA-WDKA

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Nenonen posted:

The article states that it was composed by Jerry Scott (of Zits and Baby Blues).

Which makes sense, given that the Baby Blues guy is the biggest figure in the panel.

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Nenonen posted:

and holy poo poo Greg Evans!!!

Now I can't help but imagine a whole notebook full of this stuff.

gently caress the world.

• Locked thread