Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The onsen water in Iya is fantastic. Kazura-bashi. Soba. Skewered food things covered in miso.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Yeah, a day trip in Hiroshima will make that schedule tough. You can easily do the Peace museum/park and Miyajima in one day with time to spare if you start and end in Hiroshima but it's a tight squeeze if it's a day trip especially from Kyoto since you'll lose a ton of time just travelling there and back.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I'm finally in Japan and my feet are killing me. Just because I CAN walk everywhere with huge luggage bags, doesn't mean I SHOULD.

Saw an awesome jacket in one of the 109 MEN'S stores (Fuga, I think?) but I know I have to save money. January sales aren't a thing in Japan, right? :v:

Didn't see anywhere advertising pre-orders of fukubukuro so I might just show up on NYE or Jan 1st and see if there's carnage.
Speaking of, saw Yodabashi Camera doing what I think were lucky bags, do they tend to do good value ones?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Question Mark Mound posted:

I'm finally in Japan and my feet are killing me. Just because I CAN walk everywhere with huge luggage bags, doesn't mean I SHOULD.

Saw an awesome jacket in one of the 109 MEN'S stores (Fuga, I think?) but I know I have to save money. January sales aren't a thing in Japan, right? :v:

Didn't see anywhere advertising pre-orders of fukubukuro so I might just show up on NYE or Jan 1st and see if there's carnage.
Speaking of, saw Yodabashi Camera doing what I think were lucky bags, do they tend to do good value ones?

Pop into a tokyu hands or w/e and get some insoles, usually you can try on different ones.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

VelociBacon posted:

Pop into a tokyu hands or w/e and get some insoles, usually you can try on different ones.
Already wearing a pair of shoes with foam and stuff that makes them feel like I'm walking on cloud-filled-marshmallows, but forgetting to stretch during a 3 hour bus, a 1.5 hour flight or another 12 hour flight maybe hasn't been my smartest moments.

Speaking of Tokyo Hands, am I going crazy or did I hear about them stocking Neko Atsume cat toys?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Question Mark Mound posted:

Already wearing a pair of shoes with foam and stuff that makes them feel like I'm walking on cloud-filled-marshmallows, but forgetting to stretch during a 3 hour bus, a 1.5 hour flight or another 12 hour flight maybe hasn't been my smartest moments.

Speaking of Tokyo Hands, am I going crazy or did I hear about them stocking Neko Atsume cat toys?

I think I might have noticed that. Also, it's TokyU hands isn't it? Or did I have a stroke.

If you go to the one in Shibuya and go to the top theres a little cafe where you can grab a beer and sit on a terrace.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

VelociBacon posted:

I think I might have noticed that. Also, it's TokyU hands isn't it? Or did I have a stroke.

If you go to the one in Shibuya and go to the top theres a little cafe where you can grab a beer and sit on a terrace.
It is, blame autocorrect on my phone!

I checked the Shibuya one but saw nothing in the pets section. Might check Shinjuku next time I have time. I totally missed the beer terrace, though! I think we have plans to go back in a few weeks' time so I'll make sure we don't miss that.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
Anything interesting to check out in Kyoto on Christmas day? I'm in town for a conference, but I will have some downtime.

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

Thanks guys, sounds like the first adjustments i gotta make are skipping hakone and travelling to hiroshima the day before. I guess seeing mt fuji on the train will be fine too....

Anyone have recs on tokyo/kyoto hostels or cheapo hotels?

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

Argona posted:

Anyone have recs on tokyo/kyoto hostels or cheapo hotels?

Kyoto:

K's House
〒600-8142 Kyōto-fu, Kyōto-shi, Shimogyō-ku, Nayachō, 京都府京都市下京区土手町通七条上る納屋町418

This is a typical hostel with dorm style rooms and 2 person privates if you are traveling with a partner. It has a nice common area and laundry facilities, however their WiFi was unreliable when I was there in 2014. The location is decent, maybe 10 mins walk to Kyoto station and 5 to the nearest station on the Keihan line.

Kotoya
〒601-8406 Kyōto-fu, Kyōto-shi, Minami-ku, Kaikōjichō, 南区戒光寺町186

This place is a little bit pricier, but if you are traveling with a partner I recommend it. The rooms are small furnished apartments so you actually have a decent amount of space as well as cooking and laundry appliances. It's about a 5 minute walk from Kyoto Station.

I've stayed in Kyoto quite a few times and these two places were the best, though I've stayed in a few other decent places. One place I'd avoid is Piece Hostel. The rooms are tiny, and the walls and floor are bare concrete, which gives you the feeling that you are staying in a penitentiary rather than a hotel.

I've only been to Tokyo once so I'll leave the recommendation there to another goon.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Anyone know a good store or two for large shoes in Tokyo? US 12/13 wides. I'm going to look at a place I know in Seoul but if they don't have any I figure Tokyo is my best option for big shoes 'round these parts (except Hong Kong I guess but not going there).

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Big B
Gotanda

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Also ’Kutsu no Hikari' in Okachimachi.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Awesome, thanks duders.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

When my shoes fell apart on the plane to Tokyo I was able to get 11.5 US Nike's at ABC Mart so that would be another place to check.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Going to Japan for 7 nights in late March. Probably 3-4 nights in Tokyo and the remaining 3-4 nights in Kyoto/Osaka. It is me (40/m), my wife (37/f), and my daughter (7/f).

I'm looking at VRBOs in Tokyo. I am flummoxed on where to stay. I don't even have a part of the city I am leaning toward, and it's a huge city. We will have the JR Rail pass, so being near a JR station would be helpful, and staying somewhere near the Yamanote line seems advisable.

We probably skew a little more toward high-rise and luxury, but we are open to staying anywhere cool.

Please... help me with recommendations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I just stayed at the Hearton Hotel Higashishinagawa and it was fantastic. Right across the street from a subway and 3 stops from the yamanote line. Also very easy to get to from Haneda.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

photomikey posted:

We probably skew a little more toward high-rise and luxury, but we are open to staying anywhere cool.

oakwood Premier Tokyo.

It's a service apartment style hotel, right next to Tokyo Station. You get a washer dryer, a nice kitchen and a whole bunch of other cool stuff. It's not cheap and sometimes can get pricey but it's by far the best value when it comes to luxury and location.

It's where my family stay all the time when they go to Tokyo. You can opt for higher end hotels like the Peninsula but staying in Tokyo is a bit of waste since you will spend all your time going out

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

You don't need a JR Pass for Tokyo. It's for long-distance trips.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
I should have been more specific - I am looking for neighborhoods or areas in Tokyo to look for VRBO / AirBnBs. I am having a hard time differentiating areas, and looking for a recommendations.

I realize the JR pass is intended for distance travel - I was under the impression it was good for in-Tokyo travel on JR lines as well?

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
No, local train fare is pretty cheap so it'll be cheaper to pay per use. A JR Pass is only worth it if you're going to ride the expensive shinkansen 3 times +.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Dude just stay at oak wood premier, it's easier and beats other luxury stays.

Air bnbs are around but they gravitate towards the budget type with the occasional ultra luxury travel

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

caberham posted:

Dude just stay at oak wood premier, it's easier and beats other luxury stays.

Air bnbs are around but they gravitate towards the budget type with the occasional ultra luxury travel
That oakwood is US $340/night and my spawn would have to sleep on the couch. I may stay there, but I'm checking out other options.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
In Japan now wrapping up our honeymoon.

Tokyo hotel chat: we spent one night at the Park Hyatt Tokyo before moving to the Hyatt Regency a Tokyo. The latter is a perfectly fine boring hotel and we got it for ~$175 a night. One subway stop from Shinjuku. The former was selling for 120,000 yen a night. Thankfully I signed up for a US Hyatt credit card so it was free.

If price is no object, I really liked the Omotesando area's vibe. I would love to stay at someone's apartment a few blocks off of the Main Street, between Omotesando Hills and Roppongi station.

Overall, our trip went like this:
We flew into Haneda in the evening
Stayed one night in Yokohama, just as a stopover before Hakone
Two nights in Hakone, at a ryokan with our own private onsen (Yoshimatsu)
Three nights in Tokyo, at Park Hyatt and Hyatt Regency
Four nights in Kyoto, at Suiran and Westin
Three nights in Osaka, at Ritz (in progress)

Both my wife and I are having a blast. We can't wait to come back again. It was (mostly) my first time, but she's been a few times.

We just got back from Dotonbori in Osaka, and it's interesting to see how much livelier this city is at night than Kyoto, yet way more chaotic than Tokyo (trash on streets, people jaywalking, less people but crazier drivers, huge signs, etc).

Any recs on Japanese beef at a good value? I read some guys blog about getting high quality beef that was "maybe" Kobe beef but they are too cheap to pay for the certification. http://www.willflyforfood.net/2014/06/05/tsurugyu-a-taste-of-kobe-beef-in-osaka-japan/

quote:

I asked my Japanese friend about this and according to his aforementioned meat supplier, Tsurugyu hasn’t paid for the certification that allows them to advertise and sell their meat as Kobe Beef. This is why the “Kobe Beef” at Tsurugyu is priced considerably lower than establishments that do have that certification. His meat supplier did however guarantee at the time of our visit that Tsurugyu does serve genuine Kobe beef. They just can’t openly advertise nor price it as such because they don’t have that formal certification. Thanks to my friend, I guess we were just treated to a bit of insider knowledge.
I booked it for tomorrow night, hopefully it's not some huge scam.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

photomikey posted:

That oakwood is US $340/night and my spawn would have to sleep on the couch. I may stay there, but I'm checking out other options.

How much are you looking to pay? Luxury hotels in Japan in the tier of the Park Hyatt/Mandarin Oriental/Four Seasons are around at least $700-800 per night for two people.

Luxury VRBOs are uncommon in Tokyo.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
This is sorta the place to beat right now:

https://www.vrbo.com/3877178ha

But it's $430/night.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

I'm specifically going to recommend Shiodome. You've got 4 high-rise hotel options (Villa Fontaine, Royal Park Hotel, Park Hotel, and Conrad) and you should be able to find a AirBnB there too. Even if your room itself doesn't have a good view, you can head up to any of the sky restaurants/bars which are perched on the high floors of buildings around there. There's even a free viewing area in Caretta Shiodome 42F if you don't want to spend anything at all.

It's also right around the corner from Tsukiji and a 5 min walk to JR Shimbashi station.

Also I had a quick look into the beef. Tsurugyu appears to specialize in Tajima-gyu which depending on the methods used in raising it (after purchase at auction) eventually turns into Kobe beef, Matsuzaka beef etc.

So I don't think it's a question of whether the restaurant itself has paid for their registration or not... though I imagine this is required for those restaurants that do serve actual Kobe beef. My guess is the actual beef itself that hasn't been certified. The "Tajima Beef Certification System" has two different approval marks, one for Tajima Beef and one for Kobe Beef. So they probably serve the former.

In any case I doubt you'll be able to tell the difference. Should be still be great, the place has excellent ratings on Tabelog. Please post cow trip report.

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Dec 30, 2016

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Is there an authentic Japanese thing to experience as the clock strikes midnight for New Years that's not too crazy crowded? Visiting a temple sounds more interesting to me than getting smashed. But fighting possibly literally 300,000 people sounds unpleasant and we are staying in Osaka. We leave Japan on Jan 1.

Because the train supposedly runs all night, it's technically possible for us to visit, say Nara's temple for New Years midnight and then return back to Osaka. But will it be a positive experience?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Every major temple/shrine* will have a crowd but it's not a stampede like the naked festivals. You eat from food stalls and line up, then at midnight the lights get turned on and everyone shuffles forward in turn to throw in coins and buy lucky charms. Some places might have mochi making or some other cultural event.
I would recommend something walkable from your hotel.

*Some Buddhist sects don't do lucky charms so ask some local staff/people about where do to Hatsumode. You can show/pidgin this: はつもうで が したい です。ちかく に いい じんじゃ(おてら) ありますか?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Most events in East Asia, if you just don't go to the most "famous" local whatever you'll dodge the majority of the crowd. Everybody goes to the same place to do the same thing.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

We pierce our nut sack on New Year's Eve to pray for harmony in the coming year. Big gold piercings are for wealth, jewels for love or wood for health.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Thanks peanut and big cheese. I found a reasonable article on the subject of hatsumode that jives with your advice. Sharing them below in case another dumb tourist needs info:

https://izanau.com/article/how-to-hatsumode (general)

https://izanau.com/article/hatsumode-osaka (Osaka)

Btw this hotel concierge is not v helpful. They weren't sure where to hatsumode and also told me Osaka castle is open today (it isn't)

Mandalay fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Dec 30, 2016

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Mandalay posted:

Osaka castle is open today (it isn't)

Bullet: dodged

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

photomikey posted:

Going to Japan for 7 nights in late March. Probably 3-4 nights in Tokyo and the remaining 3-4 nights in Kyoto/Osaka. It is me (40/m), my wife (37/f), and my daughter (7/f).

I'm looking at VRBOs in Tokyo. I am flummoxed on where to stay. I don't even have a part of the city I am leaning toward, and it's a huge city. We will have the JR Rail pass, so being near a JR station would be helpful, and staying somewhere near the Yamanote line seems advisable.

The Ginza Mercure is a pretty good hotel, near several stations including Tokyo which will be useful for your further travels. Fairly reasonably priced too.

MystOpportunity
Jun 27, 2004
I know you guys get a lot of this, but looking for some feedback on a mid-Jan itinerary:

1/19: land late in Tokyo
1/20-21: Tokyo
1/22: to Hakone
1/23: to Kyoto
1/24-26: Kyoto
1/27: to Tokyo
1/28: to Tokyo
1/29: fly home

Would ideally shoot for a day trip out of both Tokyo (Nikko?) and Kyoto (Nara?) but am inviting any and all suggestions.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

That looks solid. Nikko is cool but if you're a little tight on time, feeding/being eaten by the deer in Nara is more unique and awesome.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
What do you feed the deer? Heading out to Nara today for a day trip from Osaka.

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

Mandalay posted:

What do you feed the deer? Heading out to Nara today for a day trip from Osaka.

There are vendors that sell packs of deer food in the form of thin brown circles. They are basically crackers for deer.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The deer get the rest of their nutrients from grass, fallen fruit, maps, bag straps and kid's hats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Nara was fun and super convenient. We were worried stuff would be closed but there were plenty of street vendors selling food analogous to state/county fair stuff from the states. Plenty of deer for everyone. Great day trip from Osaka.