Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Zest
May 7, 2007

ACHIEVE HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE

exploded mummy posted:

Nah, though the frequency drops and the variety of what spawns can increase.

As far as I can tell, the drops are kind of "random encounters" in that they seem to always trigger on combat for me in the overworld. And apparently can trigger off a previous drop... I'm pretty convinced they're a blunt case study on "this is what magic is for" as a single 50 potency tricast spell will usually wipe out the entire group in one cast. Or (once you have access to chocobos) just call your choco and sprint a few times, and you're off the hook.

So, I just got into chapter 15:

I loaded my save, called umbra, and popped back to the past at Hammerhead. IMMEDIATELY got a wave of party chat about parts, connections, and talking to Cindy. Wander over to Cindy, get gushed at.

"Unlocked Regalia Type-F"

Well then :stare:

*two hours later and I was still flying around gawking at things. The First-Person artificial horizon and altimiter are functional, apparently :v:*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Zest posted:

As far as I can tell, the drops are kind of "random encounters" in that they seem to always trigger on combat for me in the overworld. And apparently can trigger off a previous drop... I'm pretty convinced they're a blunt case study on "this is what magic is for" as a single 50 potency tricast spell will usually wipe out the entire group in one cast. Or (once you have access to chocobos) just call your choco and sprint a few times, and you're off the hook.

So, I just got into chapter 15:

I loaded my save, called umbra, and popped back to the past at Hammerhead. IMMEDIATELY got a wave of party chat about parts, connections, and talking to Cindy. Wander over to Cindy, get gushed at.

"Unlocked Regalia Type-F"

Well then :stare:

*two hours later and I was still flying around gawking at things. The First-Person artificial horizon and altimiter are functional, apparently :v:*

You should try landing it on that isolated stretch of road near Ravatogh :v:

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Just remember, just because you can take off, doesn't mean you should. I learned that the hard way.

Zest
May 7, 2007

exploded mummy posted:

You should try landing it on that isolated stretch of road near Ravatogh :v:

huh... didn't notice that little landing strip.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
A single ice bomb spawned in the middle of the road. The game gave me both Aranea and Ramuh for it.

Get hosed that one enemy in particular I guess.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
I sincerely despise the piece of poo poo programmer that decided the "talk" and "quest" interactions with mobs would require standing a millimeter differently when addressing mobs.

Zest
May 7, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

A single ice bomb spawned in the middle of the road. The game gave me both Aranea and Ramuh for it.

Get hosed that one enemy in particular I guess.

Apparently bombs are an abomination unto Ramuh and he sent his prophet to herald the coming storm.

I REALLY like how this game handles summons visually. "Angry God" indeed :stonk:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Zest posted:

Apparently bombs are an abomination unto Ramuh and he sent his prophet to herald the coming storm.

I REALLY like how this game handles summons visually. "Angry God" indeed :stonk:

My only wish is for the areas they get summoned to be permanently hosed.

Ramuh has a different animation when you summon him in while underground and it's loving badass.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

to be fair I'll admit i missed most of her missions until much later then i should have.

So she mentions it, then dino, and I've learned I missed ambient npcs just commenting on things besides food.

WaltherFeng posted:

would've easily noticed that it was getting darker sooner when driving around doing stuff.

Wait hold on

Is this an actual thing in the game?

It's slight but wonderful attention to detail.
I noticed because I usually went to bed when night hit because ignis was too pussy to drive, and kept bothering me.
once you beat a few iron giants he lets you drive.

Hilariously enough, that happened and then a loving red giant spawned in the same spot.

Yeah his health was a bit more than next level recolor i expected.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

I feel like they named insomnia what they did just for the name of the final quest tbh, and it's actually a cool name.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

SectumSempra posted:

She seemed 15, when i think about ff and anime.

Were people like attracted to her or something?

it kinda adds up considering why gladio is friends with noctis instead of just his guardian or whatever.

Areneas the only surprising one, i thought they'd go younger.

There's new context on on Noct's (Lestallum sort of spoiler I guess) "your brother would kick my rear end" when she pseudo-flirts with you and you pick the warmest response.

As for Aranea, I have to agree. It's surprising solely because Japan and how they usually do that kinda stuff. 30 feels right.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Wait wait people are saying there's no in game Codex but... I heard there was, it's just in the tutorial mode. That's how people find out stuff like Leviathan being Bahamut's spurned lover

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Onmi posted:

Wait wait people are saying there's no in game Codex but... I heard there was, it's just in the tutorial mode. That's how people find out stuff like Leviathan being Bahamut's spurned lover

There are like 5 paintings in the tutorial that give you about a paragraph of story info. That's it.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

can't believe I beat the game and missed crucial information about Bahamut and Leviathan's love lives

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I beat it tonight but I wish I'd been more patient. I went in at level 50 and the first boss that you get 2 scripted summons for, the second summon didn't give me the option to trigger after the voiceover and it turns out you can pretty much deplete his health bar for another 20 minutes and then start doing 0 damage and he won't die. This happened twice in a row over 90 minutes of fighting, using my entire inventory of curatives and ending up dying.
After it happened twice I read online what was supposed to happen - a third time I didn't get the prompt, but the fourth it did. By then I was annoyed and stuck it on easy and was wishing it would be over. Felt like it took a lot away from the ending. I also don't have a regalia type f after reloading that save.

Genuinely loved all of it, including chapter 13, but those last 2 hours just annoyed the piss out of me. Wish I hadn't finished it because now I don't want to go back to do sidequests anymore.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Dec 30, 2016

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
I want Aranea to be the new Lightning. She's too great to be wasted in such small parts. I'd rather have Gilgamesh's DLC with her than Gladio. :colbert:

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
I beat the turtle. What a fight.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
The game wants me to get on a boat now and says I won't be able to come back for a while (chapter 6ish). I'm afraid to go but there's still spots on the map that aren't accessible and I assume they become so afterward?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

ComposerGuy posted:

The game wants me to get on a boat now and says I won't be able to come back for a while (chapter 6ish). I'm afraid to go but there's still spots on the map that aren't accessible and I assume they become so afterward?

You won't be away from the main map for too long unless you want to be.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

The Grimace posted:

I want Aranea to be the new Lightning. She's too great to be wasted in such small parts. I'd rather have Gilgamesh's DLC with her than Gladio. :colbert:

Gilgamesh only comes to those who need his help.

Aranea doesn't need anyone's help.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

The Grimace posted:

She's coming as a party member with Iris, Cor and, if they have time to develop her, Luna, in the final DLC Expansion

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

ComposerGuy posted:

The main map "story" ends, but you can still go back and do quests and level up later on. The game basically turns into 13 from this point on and the main map is the one open space.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

The Grimace posted:

I feel lightning returns lightning is more or less arenea, just in a wacky story and way more costumes.

Still the same sass.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

More fun coding wackyness

i guess they didn't want you to see your teammates pop out of nowhere in front of you,

so as long as your teammates are on camera they will remain stuck.
Whether it's behind a gate.

or on top of one of those like 60 foot levi's lmao. I kept Ignis on one was ai was walking to town. They even coded them to still behave normally, so at first he tried to walk the long way then stopped.. then he just kept staring as we walked away, eventually i turned the camera right before we get into the pit stop to hear him call promto fat again.

Also always take fall damage, don't go down ladders, even if you "die" you can pop a potion, and it has to be a big rear end drop, otherwise, just wait because your health auto regens out of battle.

I hate the extra dungeons so far but I'm still doing them
I have a problem.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

SectumSempra posted:

i guess they didn't want you to see your teammates pop out of nowhere in front of you,
If you can see your chocobo a mile away and you use your whistle, it will run a mile to get to you, even if it takes a full minute. Or, you can turn your camera 180 degrees and it'll jaunt into view in 1 second like it's always been five feet away.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

DaveKap posted:

If you can see your chocobo a mile away and you use your whistle, it will run a mile to get to you, even if it takes a full minute. Or, you can turn your camera 180 degrees and it'll jaunt into view in 1 second like it's always been five feet away.

Well, it's slightly less immersion breaking than your horse doing Zero Shifts in MGSV.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I just went on to chapter 4 and then quickly onto chapter 5. Are the rest of them more or less this quick?

I notice in also now gimped for travel and the world map has been reduced slightly. When does it open back up again for me to hit side quests and dungeons, etc?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Why does the "get 1 AP when you win a Chocobo Race" ascension node cost 32 AP, when you will realistically only ever do seven of them?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Kin posted:

I just went on to chapter 4 and then quickly onto chapter 5. Are the rest of them more or less this quick?

I notice in also now gimped for travel and the world map has been reduced slightly. When does it open back up again for me to hit side quests and dungeons, etc?

You're kind of funneled along now until the end of chapter 8 which will come sooner than you think. You'll basically do 2-3 dungeons in a row then the world opens up again. The "point of no return" is closing chapter 8 when the game asks you to get on a boat.

e: Well I say point of no return but once the game lets you talk to Umbra before you sleep you can return to the open world map.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Dec 30, 2016

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

al-azad posted:

e: Well I say point of no return but once the game lets you talk to Umbra before you sleep you can return to the open world map.

AM i the only one that's thrown off by this decision? Like they understood their story was too on-rails after a certain point so they let you dream of the past or something through Umbra so you still have access to the open world. Like you have 3 regions but you can only travel to/from them via dogge.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

AM i the only one that's thrown off by this decision? Like they understood their story was too on-rails after a certain point so they let you dream of the past or something through Umbra so you still have access to the open world. Like you have 3 regions but you can only travel to/from them via dogge.

It was a good idea, even if it barely bothers to justify itself in-game. Tabata's team clearly understood how threadbare the game got from Chapter 9 onward and gave players an escape hatch to go back to where the actual gameplay was (plus opportunities for grinding, if necessary).

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Oxxidation posted:

It was a good idea, even if it barely bothers to justify itself in-game. Tabata's team clearly understood how threadbare the game got from Chapter 9 onward and gave players an escape hatch to go back to where the actual gameplay was (plus opportunities for grinding, if necessary).

Oh I don't disagree it's a good idea. I'm just thinking if your story is getting to the point you need to half-rear end an escape hatch... why not change how on-rails poo poo gets?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Oh I don't disagree it's a good idea. I'm just thinking if your story is getting to the point you need to half-rear end an escape hatch... why not change how on-rails poo poo gets?

With what time?

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I don't know that this was the intent so much as they wanted to be able to change the world in different ways but without locking you out of content.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Probably because the actual development of this game was about 2 years and hell even under Tabata.

FFXV had the dual problem of NEEDING more time and not being able to get more time because idiots were already going "Ten years in development!"

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Probably because it was too far gone to change it, so this is the only way to satisfy SE into "fixing" it through DLC. It should have been better made but this is what we got.

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

Kinda awkward how only Noctis will shimmy along ledges and crawl through tight spaces. The other party members just warp past it.

My first thought was "Hmm, well maybe they didn't want to waste time animating other characters?" :confused:

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I stopped reading this thread sometime in August, but since I beat the game a couple days ago and have been working on postgame stuff, I've also skimmed through to catch up with everything. Game's fun, and I echo the somewhat common sentiment that Gladio comes off more as a huge jerk than a stern hardass.

After awhile of murdering things super fast with the Zwill Crossblades, I got kinda bored of that, so I've been rolling with a no spells magic Noctis build and murdering things with the Scepter of the Pious and the Bow of the Clever (actually using it in addition to using it with Overwhelm). The Scepter provides a nice balance of power and utility since you essentially get one combo string from four other Royal Arms, each with their own uses. The away+attack combo that emulates the Trident complete with afterimages that do several strong hits of damage while you're still swinging through the rest of the combo is especially strong on enemies that'll sit there and take the punishment.

I hope they patch the Bow's warp strike sometime, because it's really strong and yet almost completely worthless on anything about Noctis's size or smaller. They should also just give us more weapons that scale off magic in general so my other two slots wouldn't just be Sword of the Father for magic +100 and a Wizard Shield for magic +99 and being a shield.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Onmi posted:

Probably because the actual development of this game was about 2 years and hell even under Tabata.

FFXV had the dual problem of NEEDING more time and not being able to get more time because idiots were already going "Ten years in development!"

Lol yeah that's why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

how do i stop prompto from taking pictures of noctis mid-getting on his chocobo already

• Locked thread