Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Pavlov posted:

Yah I get that.
I don't live in flip-flapper world though. The one I live in is like the fakeout one. I'll assume you live here too.

Messed up that Pav lives in a cartoon with the saturation turned down rather than a cartoon with the saturation turned up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
im sorta glad they didnt chicken out on mimi's characterization, like any person, they have good and bad aspects. so her possessive nature is an inherent part of her, not some a foreign influence on her mind. in the absence of a stress factor this would be buried under her better qualities, but after being trapped in shifting dream world without any human interaction for over a decade, this part of her burst out

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

I loved that in the ending montage, the twins are finally able to throw different shapes in rock-paper-scissors, that was a nice callback.

I did not love that the twins were barely even in the last three or four episodes, and that even when they were, they were mostly just staring at things in the distance and going, "Huh, things sure are happening over there". Same with Nyunyu and painting girl really, this show did not do a great job of wrapping up the stories of its side characters.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Well, that was more because they told their boss to gently caress off and dude needed his head patched up again.

Also I never caught why she wore a cast on the robo-arm side, but she wasn't wearing it at the end, so that's a plus.

Bonus:

99.2kb!

I turn 30 today. What the gently caress am I doing?

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Dec 30, 2016

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Yeah, Emily Rand mentioned that a while back in her articles analysing the show. https://formeinfullbloom.wordpress.com/category/editorialsessays/flip-flappers/

See also that the flower associated with Mimi has the meaning of 'revenge for broken promises'.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Serious question: Does Dr Salt drink Dr Pepper?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I think that's expected of any good mad scientist

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Speaking of Emily Rand, she has another article out - https://formeinfullbloom.wordpress.com/2016/12/30/flip-flappers-and-the-painting/

A highlight I found interesting:

quote:

Watching the trees grow up around Papika, containing her until her age coincides with Cocona’s, is reminiscent of the Sleeping Beauty or Little Briar Rose story. Although Cocona’s maturation is the series’ focus in it’s primary narrative, here Papika is the sleeping beauty, preserved until Cocona, her princess, arrives. For her part, Mimi takes the role of both the antagonist — the witch who tries to keep Cocona and Papika apart — and benevolent fairy who protects Papika and Cocona until they come of age by creating an entire world for them.

Flip Flappers also touches upon the Sleeping Beauty story in Episode 5 — the Class S yuri school — where Cocona pricks her finger with a needle and Papika sucks on it to stem the bleeding.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

This show was so good and I love it.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Flip Flapper's ability to underline its tone by piling on symbolism in very natural and understated ways is probably the most special thing about it, besides how straight up lovely it all looks. Not that it isn't afraid to bring it to the forefront either, but that's what makes it all come together. Of course a world made of dreams and minds would be full of that kind of poo poo.

Arsonist Daria fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Dec 30, 2016

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

It's such an effortlessly dense show, too. I never had much trouble following along on a first viewing, but it feels like every episode gains a lot on a rewatch. Even when the production started to suffer near the end, the art direction was just incredible.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
honestly i think it's pretty impressive that only the last four episodes struggled to get made, considering this is oshiyama's first time working as series director

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
https://twitter.com/Parmetan/status/814892520190648321

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

"she has some flaps to flip"
:shittypop:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/joseinextdoor/status/814955317251473412

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Flip Flapper's ability to underline its tone by piling on symbolism in very natural and understated ways...

Heh... "Shell matching game"

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
to be honest, i've kind of had trouble deciding what i think about this show ever since episode 8

but i've finally decided: it's extremely gay, and also good, and i'm proud to be the op of the thread and i hope cocona and papika live together and go on adventures together happily and also yayaka gets to hang out with them and pet uexkull while salt stands off in the background looking cool

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

The Colonel posted:

to be honest, i've kind of had trouble deciding what i think about this show ever since episode 8

but i've finally decided: it's extremely gay, and also good, and i'm proud to be the op of the thread and i hope cocona and papika live together and go on adventures together happily and also yayaka gets to hang out with them and pet uexkull while salt stands off in the background looking cool

same

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

The Colonel posted:

same

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

The Colonel posted:

:same:

Turkeybro
Nov 12, 2011

Looking for strong men to discover what's under the helmet.

The Colonel posted:

same

and also papika and cocona are the best and gayest couple of the year in the year of Yuri on Ice and imo that's the real accomplishment of this show

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Accurate? From a real Q&A? I don't know. Postin' anyway. :v:

>Papika deaging and memory loss?
>Papikana ran into a limbo area between PI where the spacetime is so unstable that her memories and age were reset from 19 yo to an infant.
>Cocona wandered into the limbo area in her “dreams” and found Papika. They met. Papika remembered Cocona’s smell.
>It is important to note that Papika regaining memories is a setting in which her age of the mind did not return to the old age of 19 instead her mind was reborn and remembered her previous life. Her feelings and childishness do not go away even after regaining the memories.

More:
http://redevildevil.tumblr.com/post/155206761422/oshiyama-on-flfl-world-setting-full-text-ocr

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

a kitten posted:

Accurate? From a real Q&A? I don't know. Postin' anyway. :v:

>Papika deaging and memory loss?
>Papikana ran into a limbo area between PI where the spacetime is so unstable that her memories and age were reset from 19 yo to an infant.
>Cocona wandered into the limbo area in her “dreams” and found Papika. They met. Papika remembered Cocona’s smell.
>It is important to note that Papika regaining memories is a setting in which her age of the mind did not return to the old age of 19 instead her mind was reborn and remembered her previous life. Her feelings and childishness do not go away even after regaining the memories.

More:
http://redevildevil.tumblr.com/post/155206761422/oshiyama-on-flfl-world-setting-full-text-ocr

Seems like it's from the interview in this month's edition of Megami Magazine, so probably real. And yeah that translation is accurate enough, though the actual question is about why Papika forgot Mimi and the answer is much longer than just that bit that was translated.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

drat, had I watched the finale earlier and known this it woulda bumped the show to 10/10.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

flipped the last flap. Heck, it was good.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
*in gunbuster intermission voice* FLIP FLAPPEEERS

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

The Colonel posted:

Is Star Driver close enough?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dquSQpIoLKw

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jan 1, 2017

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The Colonel posted:

Pretty sure the diebuster voice would be more appropriate.

Also I only just realized that the vocal version of Over The Rainbow they ended with was sung by Cocona and Papika's voice actresses :3:

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

I fell off watching this show mid-season just because I got so busy, but I caught up with it all the other day, and man, this show ended well and gay. I'm going to have to give it a rewatch soon.

Is there any good merch out there that anyone's seen?

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I'm thinking to rewatch but before I do I wanna try to pin some of these down:

Ep1: Snow Town - Cocona
Ep2: Dust Bunnies - Kamina Uexkull
Ep3: Mad Max - Papika
Ep5: Yuri Zone - Yayaka
Ep6: Oil Spider - Iroha
Ep7: I think I'm a clone now - Cocona again?
Ep8: Gattai Da - Bu
Ep9: Spaaaaace/White Room - The twins
Ep11: Boss Rush - Mimi
Ep12: Mundania - Cocona again?

Interesting that only episodes 4 and 10 lack a venture into Pure Illusion.

Sir Gladu
Nov 26, 2008

I watched the start of this show when it started and the plot and characters didn't grab my attention.
However it seemed potentially interesting and creative visually - the fight scene at the end of the Madmax episode was pretty great.
So yeah, Iwas curious if there was any other particularly great episode like that.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

There isn't much plot by that point. It's still character development in 'figure out whose world this is' (don't read right above your post else spoilers!)

Kinda liked it that way. Plot kicks in for real around episode 7 or 8.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Episode 5 is quite a visual treat overall. Same with 8.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Which episode was gokigenyo? That was really good and spooky.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Zeruel posted:

Which episode was gokigenyo? That was really good and spooky.

That was 5.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Someone go buy these for me.
tia

https://twitter.com/binobinobi/status/815977548580417536

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Gladu
Nov 26, 2008

Thanks friendos, episode 5 was indeed a treat, even just taken on its own.

• Locked thread