Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Stop getting on chocobos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

al-azad posted:

You're kind of funneled along now until the end of chapter 8 which will come sooner than you think. You'll basically do 2-3 dungeons in a row then the world opens up again. The "point of no return" is closing chapter 8 when the game asks you to get on a boat.

e: Well I say point of no return but once the game lets you talk to Umbra before you sleep you can return to the open world map.

Is it 8? Because its asking me to get on a boat in chapter 6.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

al-azad posted:

You're kind of funneled along now until the end of chapter 8 which will come sooner than you think. You'll basically do 2-3 dungeons in a row then the world opens up again. The "point of no return" is closing chapter 8 when the game asks you to get on a boat.

e: Well I say point of no return but once the game lets you talk to Umbra before you sleep you can return to the open world map.

Good to know. It seems like I've done about 80% of the side quests already, so I just want to do a bit of a cleanup before being sent to the final stretch.

I take it those fancy vaults in some of the caves get explained to me at some point?

Also are there super bosses? I climbed to the top of whatever that vocano is called and noticed a very obvious boss fight area, but no boss.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Kin posted:

Good to know. It seems like I've done about 80% of the side quests already, so I just want to do a bit of a cleanup before being sent to the final stretch.

I take it those fancy vaults in some of the caves get explained to me at some point?

Also are there super bosses? I climbed to the top of whatever that vocano is called and noticed a very obvious boss fight area, but no boss.

You need to clear out all the dungeon bosses and then an NPC will let you into the hard dungeons in the post game.

The game does a decent job of getting you to most of those dungeons during story or sodequests, but I think the mines and Daurell caverns are off that track. The Mines are just east of Longwythe, the caverns are at the end 9f Schitt Pass or whatever

Yeah. That's the nest of the giant bird you ran into earlier, and it's a bounty quest at Ravias Mart.

It might be worth getting on the boat and going to Altissia before doing the final roundup because you can unlock the x3 hotel and the ability to go back to Lucis like 2 minutes after going to the boat. (Just make a beeline for the hitel)

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Dec 30, 2016

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I think this game is kinda boring and bad . I'm on chapter 6 I think? Just got the car back . But the open world is really underwhelming and small feeling. The combat is not very engaging, it's very vague where its not clear where your button presses equate to your actions, so it's not satisfying at all.

The characters are really dumb and bland and the constant quirky one liners got really repetitive really quickly. It doesn't really help to flush out the characters at all and the amount of actual dialogue so far could probably fit on a single sheet of A4

Also Cindey is an absolute embarrassment for everyone involved

That being said however the game is still very playable and I'll probably stick with it for a while longer at least but for the moment I'm taking a break from it

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
Great game, didn't find the story confusing at all. Great except for Chapter 13 which really was as dull as everyone said it was, thought it couldn't get any worse then the fart gas is unleashed. Blowing people up with the black hole was fun tho

The characters were lovely, especially the big bad. Games like this and witcher 3 really putting other rpgs to shame with cool characters.

Reclines Obesily fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Dec 30, 2016

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

exploded mummy posted:

You need to clear out all the dungeon bosses and then an NPC will let you into the hard dungeons in the post game.

The game does a decent job of getting you to most of those dungeons during story or sodequests, but I think the mines and Daurell caverns are off that track. The Mines are just east of Longwythe, the caverns are at the end 9f Schitt Pass or whatever

Yeah. That's the nest of the giant bird you ran into earlier, and it's a bounty quest at Ravias Mart.

It might be worth getting on the boat and going to Altissia before doing the final roundup because you can unlock the x3 hotel and the ability to go back to Lucis like 2 minutes after going to the boat. (Just make a beeline for the hitel)

What chapter do you get there? Now I understand the leveling system, I think it makes more sense for me to hit all the sub level 40 stuff (my current level), bank that up using the nixperience accessory and then shoot up the levels.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Kin posted:

What chapter do you get there? Now I understand the leveling system, I think it makes more sense for me to hit all the sub level 40 stuff (my current level), bank that up using the nixperience accessory and then shoot up the levels.

Altissia is unlocked in Chapter 9.

Chapters 5 through 8 really are seriously like 1 mission long so they go by really quickly.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Dec 30, 2016

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
So do you basically need the 555 AP spell intensity ability to be able to craft poo poo like quintcast -aga spells?

Or even worse do you need the 999 one? If so I'm never going to bother.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

fridge corn posted:

I think this game is kinda boring and bad . I'm on chapter 6 I think? Just got the car back . But the open world is really underwhelming and small feeling. The combat is not very engaging, it's very vague where its not clear where your button presses equate to your actions, so it's not satisfying at all.

The characters are really dumb and bland and the constant quirky one liners got really repetitive really quickly. It doesn't really help to flush out the characters at all and the amount of actual dialogue so far could probably fit on a single sheet of A4

Also Cindey is an absolute embarrassment for everyone involved

That being said however the game is still very playable and I'll probably stick with it for a while longer at least but for the moment I'm taking a break from it

:agreed::agreed::agreed::agreed::agreed:

I wholeheartedly and knowingly 100% undeniably completely agree with this

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Deified Data posted:

So do you basically need the 555 AP spell intensity ability to be able to craft poo poo like quintcast -aga spells?

Or even worse do you need the 999 one? If so I'm never going to bother.

Nah. If youre ok with getting a random aga spell you just need the 99 ap skill and then dump all your magic into the spell to hit the threshold.

AP costs were not well considered

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The whole AP thing is poorly conceived. There are a few things you -need- early on, but after that point, very few things are worth their while. Magic only has a use, outside of cheesing early game, in two post game dungeons (so that board is useless), the extra accessory slots cost wayyyy to much for their reward, by the time you get enough for damage breaks, you already beat everything you'd use it on, etc. It's like "play a boring pinball game for an hour to get 500k." It's just not worth it.

Ratjaculation posted:

:agreed::agreed::agreed::agreed::agreed:

I wholeheartedly and knowingly 100% undeniably completely agree with this

All those things are true, but something about the setting and general feel made me play through it and somewhat not hate the experience, even though I knew I should with the bad design choices (having to nerf yourself to death by NOT just buying a bunch of items or refusing to Phoenix Down yourself is hilariously bad - the sidequests are terrible but the game is 15 hours without those, and lol at there being three areas outside of the open world).

Like, 13-2 and 13-3 I feel were both better games overall when it comes to actual gameplay, but something about this setting and feel made me enjoy it a slight bit more than those, even though I was complaining the entire time I was playing.

Darko fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Dec 30, 2016

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I compare FFXV to Dragon's Dogma a lot, but I feel it still holds true. It's a scrappy game with great combat, bad quests, and a terrible story until the very end. By all rights it should be a bad game but it manages to be more than the sum of its parts and come out of it a quirky cult hit. Describing a AAA Final Fantasy as a cult game is already pretty weird, but FFXV is a weird rear end game.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Man what dragon's dogma's story is pretty good and you only needed to play the game itself to fully understand what it was trying to convey

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dragon's Dogma's story is the romance between an obese shopkeeper and a mutated dwarf.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Calaveron posted:

Man what dragon's dogma's story is pretty good and you only needed to play the game itself to fully understand what it was trying to convey

I actually agree, but everything pre-Grigori is garbage (even if it's intentionally so). I will absolutely handwave a story's weakness if it finishes on a really strong note, which coincidentally is true of both this game and DD.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

ImpAtom posted:

Dragon's Dogma's story is the romance between an obese shopkeeper and a mutated dwarf.

They're masterworks, all, my love

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Like look witcher 3 is undeniably better in story and writing and open world and quests and characters and being an actual game

But gently caress I love driving around listening to FF world map music and getting on chocobos and listening to my idiot party members argue about food

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

GiantBomb's GOTY list includes Thumper (an okay rhythm game I played), doesn't have FF XV. People are sleeping on this fine game I'd say, a solid choice for GOTY. For me it's right up there with DOOM and Overwatch, and I love the journey that is FF XV. Lotta fun.

As for Witcher, I love Witcher 2, look forward to checking out Witcher 3, but they're going for different things from what I can tell. FF XV has a well done minimalist story, brief cutscenes without tons of dialogue, while Witcher is more like having several seasons of TV (or several short stories/novels) acted out. I will say I like FF XV's combat a lot better than Witcher 2's, and I would probably feel similarly about Witcher 3's.

I also think FF XV's story is just actually good for the record, works for me. If anything I thank them for the direction they took with the minimalist presentation of it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I love this game but whoa now let's not get hasty and say it's anywhere near DOOM.

Doom is loving incredible.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Deified Data posted:

I compare FFXV to Dragon's Dogma a lot, but I feel it still holds true. It's a scrappy game with great combat, bad quests, and a terrible story until the very end. By all rights it should be a bad game but it manages to be more than the sum of its parts and come out of it a quirky cult hit. Describing a AAA Final Fantasy as a cult game is already pretty weird, but FFXV is a weird rear end game.

I loved Dragon's Dogma so much in spite of its weird flaws. I think this is a very solid comparison, although DD's story was far more coherent than FFXV and its combat was more fun as well - the closest thing to an RPG brawler we've had.

Transistor Rhythm fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Dec 30, 2016

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I love this game but whoa now let's not get hasty and say it's anywhere near DOOM.

Doom is loving incredible.

You should play Duke Nukem 3D World Tour by the way, the new episode Alien World Order has some freakin' superb 90s style level design by Levelord and Allen Blum. If Doom is GOTY, Alien World Order is EOTY (episode of the year)

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

Whose idea was Costlemark Tower and why were they allowed near this game.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Onmi posted:

FFXV had the dual problem of NEEDING more time and not being able to get more time because idiots were already going "Ten years in development!"

That's the bed SE made when they dressed XV up as a continuation of the Versus project rather than cutting their losses at some point in vXIII's non-development.

Motto fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Dec 30, 2016

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Yeah, whoever decided to greenlight Cindy is an embarrassment. Her outfit actually makes me feel uncomfortable.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Heavy Metal posted:

As for Witcher, I love Witcher 2, look forward to checking out Witcher 3, but they're going for different things from what I can tell. FF XV has a well done minimalist story, brief cutscenes without tons of dialogue, while Witcher is more like having several seasons of TV (or several short stories/novels) acted out. I will say I like FF XV's combat a lot better than Witcher 2's, and I would probably feel similarly about Witcher 3's.

I never played Witcher 2 but the combat in Witcher 3 is so insanely better than FFXV that the only way you could even consider the combat in FFVX in any way good is if you've never played Witcher 3

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

fridge corn posted:

I never played Witcher 2 but the combat in Witcher 3 is so insanely better than FFXV that the only way you could even consider the combat in FFVX in any way good is if you've never played Witcher 3

Nah

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

fridge corn posted:

You played a very different version of The Witcher 3 from everyone else then. Even people who love The Witcher 3 (me, I love the Witcher 3) say the combat as it best acceptable and at worst something that drags the game down and you just ignore to get to the good parts.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

fridge corn posted:

I haven't played Witcher 3 as mentioned, good to hear it's improved from 2, and I hear they patched in two movement systems to choose from. But c'mon now, even just seeing videos and having played the previous one, they are going for different things. I love Ninja Gaiden on Xbox, I think it's one of the best combat engines ever. I don't go around saying hey you people you only like Tales of Zestiria's battle system if you haven't played Ninja Gaiden, wouldn't make much sense.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I'm the one with the Geralt avatar so I love the Witcher 3 even more than ImpAtom and am prepared to fight him for the title of Grand Ploughin' Witcher Lover, and yeah, at best the combat in W3 is fine.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Combat in both games are different and good.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Unless you're playing with the mod that replaces combat with Gwent. Then Witcher 3's combat wins hands down. :colbert:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

You played a very different version of The Witcher 3 from everyone else then. Even people who love The Witcher 3 (me, I love the Witcher 3) say the combat as it best acceptable and at worst something that drags the game down and you just ignore to get to the good parts.

But the combat in Witcher 3 is the best part of the game?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

fridge corn posted:

But the combat in Witcher 3 is the best part of the game?

As I said, you're pretty alone in that feeling. Witcher 3 is largely praised for its writing, graphics, and quest design.Even on Death March the Witcher 3's combat ends up becoming rote and one-note long before you're anywhere near done with the game. If you're all-in on W3 for the combat then that's cool but it isn't a popular opinion.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

melodicwaffle posted:

Whose idea was Costlemark Tower and why were they allowed near this game.

I'm glad I was highly overleveled for that place when I decided to do it. I tried it once before finishing the game at lvl 50 and when nearly everyone died in the first room I just ran out. Some times I wish you could tell your party members to get the gently caress away from the enemies. I was fighting the optional boss in the sewers and when its telegraphing a huge AOE attack for 10 seconds and all I can do is watch from the other side of the room as my idiot friends keep hitting it until it goes off.

When fighting a boss which is better use of the Armiger (more damage), just attacking the whole duration or immediately using the Armiger Chain?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Demicol posted:

I'm glad I was highly overleveled for that place when I decided to do it. I tried it once before finishing the game at lvl 50 and when nearly everyone died in the first room I just ran out. Some times I wish you could tell your party members to get the gently caress away from the enemies. I was fighting the optional boss in the sewers and when its telegraphing a huge AOE attack for 10 seconds and all I can do is watch from the other side of the room as my idiot friends keep hitting it until it goes off.

When fighting a boss which is better use of the Armiger (more damage), just attacking the whole duration or immediately using the Armiger Chain?

I'm pretty sure it is better to attack for the duration and end with a chain.

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

Demicol posted:

I'm also overleveled, I left it for the postgame. (not sure if this really counts as a spoiler but it doesn't hurt to be safe I guess) The dungeon straight up broke my second time in so that it wasn't triggering new routes in the section with the block puzzle, so I couldn't progress until I went through the same single wrong route, the only one available to me, about 3 times.

But honestly there shouldn't be a dungeon that forces you to backtrack in a bizarre psuedo trial-and-error section to begin with, when they spawn progressively worse enemies every time you "gently caress up", where those gently caress-ups are actually required to unlock new paths and eventually the correct path. That's just lovely design. Unless my dungeon was bugged more than I know, but that's how it ended up playing out for me. 3 Iron Giants and 2 naga things and I was like "gently caress this I'm out".

It ended up taking 5 hours to finish it.

e: but while this all happened I learned Prompto's Starshell is actually useful, so there's that

melodicwaffle fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Dec 30, 2016

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

As I said, you're pretty alone in that feeling. Witcher 3 is largely praised for its writing, graphics, and quest design.Even on Death March the Witcher 3's combat ends up becoming rote and one-note long before you're anywhere near done with the game. If you're all-in on W3 for the combat then that's cool but it isn't a popular opinion.

At least there is some variation to the combat with different skills and playstyles. The main draw for the combat for me is its responsiveness to input that makes it satisfying even if the game is not particularly difficult. In this regard FFVX is a button-mashing mess even though the controls are largely similar.

As for the writing, I guess Witcher 3 is well written for a video game but theres a long way to go for video game writing in general before even approaching anything resembling "good"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

ratbert90 posted:

Yeah, whoever decided to greenlight Cindy is an embarrassment. Her outfit actually makes me feel uncomfortable.

You should consider wearing looser pants and maybe interacting with real women.

• Locked thread