Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Deeters posted:

Are there any good scientific calculator apps? I don't need to be as fully featured as a TI-84, but I would like to be able to at least have that sort of input style. I've been messing with HiPER, which seems like a good start.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...fD8KWmwH5mqCwBg

Here's the ti84 silver rom image e: NM ip laws are loving retarded so here is how to rip the image from your calculator

http://www.ticalc.org/programming/emulators/romdump.html

Blue Train fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Dec 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Is that considered filez?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

can you pirate a calculator? I dunno

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Blue Train posted:

can you pirate a calculator? I dunno

Yes. That rom is TI IP, so yeah, it's filez.

I mean, it's totally silly that they are still charging what they're charging for a graphing calculator in 2016. However, that doesn't make the rom any less their intellectual property.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Dumb as gently caress ugh

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Deeters posted:

Are there any good scientific calculator apps? I don't need to be as fully featured as a TI-84, but I would like to be able to at least have that sort of input style. I've been messing with HiPER, which seems like a good start.

Honestly, have you tried Wolfram Alpha? It's my go to when I need to do more advanced calculations, but it's not like I'm doing differential equations or anything.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I haven't yet, and just saw that there's actually an app I can spend my funbux on. I was trying to do trig in the stock calculator app, so it wasn't anything I had considered using Wolfram for. I also completely forgot about wabbitemu

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Wondering if anyone has suggestions for other wallpaper applications beyond those mentioned in the OP? I know it's getting a little dusty in there and new things come out pretty often. I would personally prefer something that uses actual photographs / images vs. a procedural generator like Tapet, but for the sake of the thread I'm open to anything.

Also curious since I recently got my new (used) 6P - does anyone have any apps that are outside the categories mentioned in the OP? Just dumb / weird / utilitarian stuff they really enjoy? I'm always looking for some new silly use for my phone (look it's a bubble level, now it's a ruler, also I can call people!) so would love to hear everyone's random apps too.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Stanley Goodspeed posted:

Wondering if anyone has suggestions for other wallpaper applications beyond those mentioned in the OP? I know it's getting a little dusty in there and new things come out pretty often. I would personally prefer something that uses actual photographs / images vs. a procedural generator like Tapet, but for the sake of the thread I'm open to anything

Muzei + Landscapes HD (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.itoobi.mhdl)

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I also like the Google wallpapers app

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.wallpaper

Dancer
May 23, 2011

bull3964 posted:

Yes. That rom is TI IP, so yeah, it's filez.

I mean, it's totally silly that they are still charging what they're charging for a graphing calculator in 2016. However, that doesn't make the rom any less their intellectual property.

I mean, I entirely get what you're saying, but that's just showing people how to extract the rom from a calculator they themselves have (or at least have access to). I'm not sure it can possibly be filez to move some files from one device to another.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Also curious since I recently got my new (used) 6P - does anyone have any apps that are outside the categories mentioned in the OP? Just dumb / weird / utilitarian stuff they really enjoy? I'm always looking for some new silly use for my phone (look it's a bubble level, now it's a ruler, also I can call people!) so would love to hear everyone's random apps too.

SwipePad is likely my #1 most-used app. It hasn't been updated in a year or more, but still runs great on my Pixel. I don't know what I'll do when it finally stops working.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Dancer posted:

I mean, I entirely get what you're saying, but that's just showing people how to extract the rom from a calculator they themselves have (or at least have access to). I'm not sure it can possibly be filez to move some files from one device to another.

The post was edited. It was a link to the rom.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

You can look for well-optimized or themed apps suited to your screen tech, since the 6P is OLED. It's nice to get that perfect contrast option of a pitch black background, at least for indoors use. Different readers or native forum browsers, etc

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I would like this one too, but I wish I could dim/darken or add vignette or something, like other apps. Some of the wallpapers in this app make icons/text unreadable on my home screen.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

CLAM DOWN posted:

I would like this one too, but I wish I could dim/darken or add vignette or something, like other apps. Some of the wallpapers in this app make icons/text unreadable on my home screen.

I just use the Earth ones, some of the other categories have photos that just make for bad wallpapers - lots of sharp, oversaturated, busy images. Earth is usually good and it's kind of the stock android wallpaper style anyway

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Any recs for a basic "learn Spanish" app?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
DuoLingo.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I've used this for Dutch, highly recommend

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Downloaded it and am already loving it, thanks!

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm running into a problem and I'm sure there's an app to solve it but I'm definitely using the wrong search terms.

I use Beyondpod to listen to podcasts. Unfortunately, there are times when the podcasters fluctuate from whispering to yelling. Sometimes one after the other. Is there any way to equalize or normalize the volume so I don't have to change the volume constantly?

I also have fine volume control 2.0 installed. It works great at adjusting the volume. I'd like to keep it if possible.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

RandomPauI posted:

I'm running into a problem and I'm sure there's an app to solve it but I'm definitely using the wrong search terms.

I use Beyondpod to listen to podcasts. Unfortunately, there are times when the podcasters fluctuate from whispering to yelling. Sometimes one after the other. Is there any way to equalize or normalize the volume so I don't have to change the volume constantly?

I also have fine volume control 2.0 installed. It works great at adjusting the volume. I'd like to keep it if possible.

I'm interested to know if there's a solution but I'm guessing there isn't. This is a problem on Play Music as well, with one song being too quiet and the next one being too loud and it's extremely annoying.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Well, at least fine volume control solved my problem with fine tuning how loud media volume is. Why does every android phone have the lowest media volume setting loud enough to fill a small room? Why is it only 15 settings by default?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

You want a compressor/limiter, but I don't know if anything can hook in and manipulate other apps' audio streams like that

Play Music has a limiter going on, if you push any of the eq sliders too hard those frequencies will start to peak, and the overall volume will drop to get them under control. You can try it by listening to music and raising a slider - after a point it'll start to suck the energy out of the music instead of adding to it

That could be why you're getting major volume changes too - if you have the bass cranked and a bassy song is playing, it'll be 'quiet' because the other frequencies are reduced. If the next one has less bass it'll suddenly have headroom to turn everything up, and the other frequencies will be a whole lot more present. Ideally keep everything flat, or lower some bands instead of boosting the others. Might help, worth a go

I'm sure some player out there reads replaygain or whatever if you care about consistent volume. It's tricky to do 'live' though without loving with the song dynamics. Also you can drag the volume slider if you want more control eh. Also it's the podcast people's fault if they can't handle basic audio production, you shouldn't need to be compressing anything

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jan 3, 2017

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
I'm having an issue with Tasker today.

I've got a little script set up to delete a file, and replace it by copying another version of it in its place.

It seems to work fine, and doesn't complain at all, but it's not copying the file correctly. The one I'm trying to have it copy is 2kb, the one that ends up copied is only 1kb according to the file manager. It seems so straight forward, I don't know what the heck I could be screwing up.

Does anyone with more experience here have any insight?

I'd ask in the Tasker thread, but it seems to have been archived.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Mogomra posted:

I'm having an issue with Tasker today.

I've got a little script set up to delete a file, and replace it by copying another version of it in its place.

It seems to work fine, and doesn't complain at all, but it's not copying the file correctly. The one I'm trying to have it copy is 2kb, the one that ends up copied is only 1kb according to the file manager. It seems so straight forward, I don't know what the heck I could be screwing up.

Does anyone with more experience here have any insight?

I'd ask in the Tasker thread, but it seems to have been archived.

Could it be a file system discrepancy? At only 2k, there isn't much room for the difference between them. Did you try an md5sum to see if they match?

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

deong posted:

Could it be a file system discrepancy? At only 2k, there isn't much room for the difference between them. Did you try an md5sum to see if they match?

No, I didn't. I'm about to email the files to myself so I can diff them on my computer. No idea what the heck could be happening yet.

edit: Yeah, the file contents are completely different. Makes me think I'm just not copying the file I think I am since the built in file browser in tasker is total crap.

It's really weird, the file I'm trying to copy is just one level up in the directory structure. I'm just copying the path of the file I'm deleting, and removing the last directory. How could it be goofing up? It definitely is, whether it's my fault or not. Just makes no sense.

Mogomra fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jan 4, 2017

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Is there a way to tell Tapet that I like my current wallpaper? Sometimes I notice my wallpaper as being particularly nice but when I open the App to tell Tapet it shows me a completely different one.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

There's a thumbs up widget you can put on your home screen. If you're using Nova launcher, you can probably assign that to a swipe action.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I've got my music player set to flat. I never got equalizers. It's like the audio engineers want the music to sound great out of the box but that's not good enough so it needs to be messed with.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Deeters posted:

There's a thumbs up widget you can put on your home screen. If you're using Nova launcher, you can probably assign that to a swipe action.

You definitely can assign tapet functions to nova, I have it set to reroll my wallpaper on a double tap of the home screen.

There's also a "previous wallpaper" command somewhere, I think swipe down in the app?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

RandomPauI posted:

I've got my music player set to flat. I never got equalizers. It's like the audio engineers want the music to sound great out of the box but that's not good enough so it needs to be messed with.
This would make sense except is all headphones and speakers sounded the same. But they don't, so equalizers exist to adjust for your setup.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Deeters posted:

Thanks, looks like just what I was looking for. Am I right in assuming that thumbing up a wallpaper will lead to more styles/colors that are similar?

kirrer
Sep 2, 2004
Guy from Ann Arbor
I just completed a new game for Android. Still trying to gain traction. Very simple, check it out and let me know what you think.

Brain Feast

Brain Feast on the Google Play store

The zombie needs to eat all the brains! But he only wants to eat YOU! He'll chase your finger around the screen forever, until he catches you. Get him to chase you and eat as many brains as possible. Rack up a streak by keeping him close, and brains become worth more points - but the game also gets more challenging.

High scores are compared globally using the Google Play leaderboards - see if you can beat the global high score (currently 1,637). There are several other miscellaneous leaderboards - my favorite is the distance swiped, which tracks how much you've moved your finger over the screen.

I made this game as an exercise and to see if I could do it, but now I'm really into it. Let me know your feedback, good or bad. Also, feel free to like my Facebook page to make me feel good about myself: https://www.facebook.com/Brain-Feast-Game-1644812772478664/

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Hey guy that only posts on SA to promote poo poo and sell poo poo. At least post your terrible looking game in the right thread, or better yet, don't.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

My review: It would have been neat for a half hour on the original iPhone but it's pretty awful and there is no reason to play beyond a single life

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but is there any way to get Google Maps to stop rerouting a route from being simple to a slightly shorter route with 3~5 new turns to "save" 2 mins/0.2km or something? I can't watch the screen while driving so I can't just ignore it and continue on the original route. Normally I look at the route before and plan it out (in addition to navigation), but there was an accident and I ended up getting lost trying to get around it.

kirrer
Sep 2, 2004
Guy from Ann Arbor

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Hey guy that only posts on SA to promote poo poo and sell poo poo. At least post your terrible looking game in the right thread, or better yet, don't.

Thanks for the link, not sure how I missed that thread. Also, I had other posts back in the day; you can't even see my car mounted home-made water cannon! Or Pac-Man in the library! I'm riding out my ten bucks into infinity now, though.

The Duggler posted:

My review: It would have been neat for a half hour on the original iPhone but it's pretty awful and there is no reason to play beyond a single life

Haha, that's (unfortunately) the likely response from most people, but it seems they just uninstall it. I realize the graphics are plain (essentially done in MS paint) and the game play is simplistic; I was hoping the increase in speed/difficulty would be enough to pull you back in. Not the case?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Looks like a major update is coming to Google voice in the near future.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/01/09/google-voice-updates-are-imminent/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Nitrousoxide posted:

Looks like a major update is coming to Google voice in the near future.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/01/09/google-voice-updates-are-imminent/

It's about time! Voice is such a terrible app for what it does, and it's been that way for years.