Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tie-breaker for serial you'd most like to find an episode from
This poll is closed.
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 33 44.59%
The Highlanders 41 55.41%
Total: 74 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The_Doctor posted:

I keep coming back to the fact that the Doctor just walked away from an innocent man being left to die.

I love that the super hero super dude shows up on the scene, the Doctor knows who he is, knows that these aliens are bad news and that they've done terrible things that he has personally witnessed, and they just leave despite being able to take care of the problem right then and there. It wasn't even like the baby monitor went off during the scene and that's what led the Doctor to following him- they just all collectively decide that taking care of the evil alien murderers wasn't important what so ever, so they didn't even bother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CobiWann posted:

Having to search Tumblr for GIFS

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Been listening to the new Colin story "Absolute Power", and am genuinely blown away by the score. Then I find out the composer did the scores to "Jack Reacher" and "Mission: Impossible: Rogue Nation".

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Davros1 posted:

Been listening to the new Colin story "Absolute Power", and am genuinely blown away by the score. Then I find out the composer did the scores to "Jack Reacher" and "Mission: Impossible: Rogue Nation".

Goddamn, I'd be surprised if the TV show got a composer like that, let alone Big Finish!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
The author of Flip Flop is tweeting a commentary of it at the moment. I was particularly struck by this bit:

https://twitter.com/jonnymorris1973/status/814942289881612291

I agree with the thread in general that it comes out murky at best, but it's nice to know what the intent was.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
So what's the difference between The Daily Mail and The Sun?

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
There are a lot more literal tits in 'the Sun'.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Fil5000 posted:

The author of Flip Flop is tweeting a commentary of it at the moment. I was particularly struck by this bit:

I agree with the thread in general that it comes out murky at best, but it's nice to know what the intent was.

I thought it would be amusing to have villains that were hideous racist stereotypes right out of neo-nazis' wildest fever dreams of sharia persecution?

Different standards of 'amusing' I suppose.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CobiWann posted:

So what's the difference between The Daily Mail and The Sun?

The Sun is more downmarket, but in some respects, it is better than the Mail. The Sun is aware of what kind of paper it is, and if nothing else, it makes complicated issues accessible (that it puts a very particular slant on said issues is indisputable but, in my view, a separate matter entirely - the Daily Mirror does the same thing from a more left-wing perspective), whereas the Mail has this sort of self-importance that makes it doubly insufferable.

I'm not sure what the American equivalent would be. I suppose the Mail is Fox News in the sense that it has a very thin veneer of respectability born out of tradition, whereas the Sun is low-rent talk radio.

Anyway, "Flip-Flop". I thought it had a clever concept with the thing about being able to listen to either side/disc first. It's a bit of a novelty.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

The sun is, in general, a horrible rag intended for consumption by the working class. The mail is a horrible rag intended for consumption by the middle class. The latter prefers dog whistle racism and xenophobia, the former has previously run a front cover with the words "Up Yours Delors" with a picture of a hand flicking the Vs (in reference to Jacques Delors, then president of the European Commission). The mail would still happily use the term "coloureds" and doesn't see why that should cause any offense.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Fil5000 posted:

When I first read that I thought that he was indicating that there should be a story in which the villains are unscrupulous journalists and publishers.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fil5000 posted:

the former has previously run a front cover with the words "Up Yours Delors" with a picture of a hand flicking the Vs (in reference to Jacques Delors, then president of the European Commission).

I'm sure Tony Benn would have concurred. :v:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm sure Tony Benn would have concurred. :v:

Tony Benn references should of course be saved for whatever thread we have discussing Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

jesus christ it only takes 10 minutes for flip-flop to get to the horrible dogwhistle racism

this is awful

e: and now they're trying to get rid of christmas. what the gently caress

cargohills fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Dec 31, 2016

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Fil5000 posted:

Tony Benn references should of course be saved for whatever thread we have discussing Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye.

That'd be the Transformers Megathread in BSS.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

DoctorWhat posted:

That'd be the Transformers Megathread in BSS.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

cargohills posted:

jesus christ it only takes 10 minutes for flip-flop to get to the horrible dogwhistle racism

this is awful

e: and now they're trying to get rid of christmas. what the gently caress

The other half of Flip-Flop (set in the world without the slithergees) is genuinely very good. It would take almost nothing to rewrite the story to make it significantly less racist and one of the best Big Finish releases. It's not at all necessary to the alternate timelines part of the story.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Hello from the far off year of 2017! :toot:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

http://i.imgur.com/sQQGMT4.gifv

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

The_Doctor posted:

How does the future look?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CobiWann posted:

Ah-ah-ah, ~Spoilers!~ :smuggo:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CobiWann posted:

In 2020 the Presidential election is between:

A. A candidate with decades of experience who may or may not have forgotten to like a Game of Thrones facebook status update that went viral in mid-2019.
B. The Dalek Race, which is running on a platform of screeching they will exterminate all life on the planet.

Polling has the candidates' unfavorables roughly level.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Ah-ah-ah, ~Spoilers!~ :smuggo:

More River Song episodes? NOOOOOOOOO!

(Her new audio stories are actually pretty great.)

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Jerusalem posted:

In 2020 the Presidential election is between:

A. A candidate with decades of experience who may or may not have forgotten to like a Game of Thrones facebook status update that went viral in mid-2019.
B. The Dalek Race, which is running on a platform of screeching they will exterminate all life on the planet.

Polling has the candidates' unfavorables roughly level.

Wow, calling them Daleks. The Pepperpot Party are running on a message we so rarely see in politics: one of honesty and straightforwardness. Their opponent straight up lied about liking that status, I don't even like GOT but that dishonesty cannot be forgiven.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I don't care what any of you say, Mavic Chen has my vote.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

CobiWann posted:

Oh it's a new year.

I don't like it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Linear Zoetrope posted:

Wow, calling them Daleks. The Pepperpot Party are running on a message we so rarely see in politics: one of honesty and straightforwardness. Their opponent straight up lied about liking that status, I don't even like GOT but that dishonesty cannot be forgiven.

I think you will find they are the Handi-Capable Kaled Party, thank you very much you slurring bigot.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

While BF have yet to announce any further War Doctor sets, they did announce they're doing adaptations of six H.G. Wells stories, the first being "The Invisible Man" starring John Hurt. So hopefully this bodes well for him coming back to do more Who stories.

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/hg-wells-comes-to-big-finish

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

BSam posted:

Oh it's a new year.

I don't like it.

Doctor: Ah, Bsam!! Congratulations, you are today's lucky winner! Ace, tell the man what he's won.

Ace: A complete set of explanations for the Professor here! And you have no idea what a rare and precious thing that is...

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

I finally saw the episode - I found Nice Guy Superman's entire plot to be kind of annoying, but I actually really like Matt Lucas as a companion. He's just weird enough without feeling like an extension of the Doctor's weirdness, and I think he'll work even better with another companion on board.

The bad guys were fine, sort of typical RTD era-esque goopy weirdos with inflated egos working at a Big Science Place with a preposterous plan. Totally okay for a Christmas special.

Really the only moments I didn't like were Super Friendzone Validation Man and his quest to win the girl, which made her feel kind of like a prop rather than a character. The fact that he's rewarded for his whole Nice Guy shtick is just kind of 1990s. I did like the Doctor interacting with him when he was a kid (him drawing specs on Superman, getting his fingers shut in the windows but waiting to say "Ouch!", that's all fun stuff), and the introduction of the powers was fine, but the fact that they used it to basically tell a worse version of The Lodger for the adult version of him was a waste of the whole "accidentally granting a human superpowers" thing.

Yeah, I thought that was weird too. Like, he's been pining for her for 24 years, watched his best friend marry her and leave her, and now he works full time as the nanny to her child while trying to date her disguised as another person. That isn't romantic, that's sort of really weird, or at least they don't sell that this relationship is genuine beyond her having a, "oh my gosh, I'm such a selfish fool for not falling in love with Grant after how Nice he's been for so long!" moment in the middle.

Wasn't a fan of Matt Lucas. Liked him last year, but didn't feel he really distinguished himself in this.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

On the whole, a really mediocre episode. Background noise. I thought it was a fun romp to start with but the instant it gets bogged down in the Grant/Lucy secret identity drama it dies in a ditch and never recovers. Also, the Doctor's plan to stop the elaborately exploding and locked down alien spaceship being just "press buttons at random and see what happens" is very, very weak writing.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

He was told that pressing anything would initiate the strike and inferred that it would be bad for the aliens if he did it too early since they didn't have Grant under control at that point.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
He asked why they haven't done it already and they said "we'll do it when the time is right" and he said "ah, so you mean the time is NOT right now"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Tangentially related to Who, but goddamn was the new episode of Sherlock good. I guess that's what happens when you only have to make 3 (long) episodes a year :shrug:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
*Every 3 years

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

2house2fly posted:

*Every 3 years

If it keeps the two leads coming back despite their enormous worldwide success in film and television then I can't really complain too much :unsmith:

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Linear Zoetrope posted:

THE DO YOU NOT WANT TEA PAR-TY IS A GRASS-ROOTS CAM-PAIGN! THE A-MER-I-CAN EM-PIRE WILL NOT BE UND-ER-MINED BY SOC-IAL ME-DI-A FAL-A-CIES! THE PUR-I-TY OF THE PAR-TY'S GEE-OH-TEE O-PIN-IONS WILL BE RIG-OR-OUS-LY EN-FORCED!

EX-TER-MIN- LIKE AND DO-NATE! LIKE AND DO-NATE!

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
DRAIN THE GEY-SER SWAAAMP

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/realDavrosTrump/status/803888332447027200

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Oh! Forgot about Sherlock. Well that's tonight sorted.

• Locked thread