Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

TorakFade posted:

Iberian wedding fires early, then just after integrating naples I get another event to PU Portugal.

Another event or a normal PU? I wasn't aware that there were special events that gave Spain PUs other than the wedding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moonwolf
Jun 29, 2004

Flee from th' terrifyin' evil of "NHS"!

genericnick posted:

Another event or a normal PU? I wasn't aware that there were special events that gave Spain PUs other than the wedding.

There's an event, but it's MTTH of 200 months and requires Portugal to have 150+ approval of Spain, and be in the right historical period, and be in a regency. So it's really unlikely.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

in my auld alliance reversed run i found out that there's an event for a royal marriage with denmark where they give you orkney/shetland in return

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

genericnick posted:

Another event: http://www.eu4wiki.com/Spanish_events#The_Portuguese_Crown

then the two normal PUs with Burgundy and Hungary, all before 1650. That's 5 PUs in 200 years, 3 by event and 2 normal, what's the chance of that?
(edit: the Portugal Crown event has a mean time to happen of 2000 months, I really hit the jackpot by getting it around 1580-1590, which apparently is when it actually happened in history!)

Now with full quantity I can field 550k men while Ottomans, the second power, has something like 200k. Also I have full offensive and quality, combined with the +15% morale from spanish traditions, so they're loving super soldiers too. 115% morale, 130% discipline, +10% combat ability for everything and maybe some more bonuses I can't think of right now. I'm behind on dip tech though, due to spending every single diplo point to annex people :v:

Now whatever I pick for my next game will feel disappointing :smith:

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Dec 29, 2016

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Baron Corbyn posted:

Just had the biggest loving anticlimax ever. Playing as Von Habsburg Poland, both Austria and I have claimed the throne of Hungary, who are governed by a 67-year-old king with no heir, and broken our alliance with them, massing our troops on the Hungarian border either for the truce timer to run out so we can declare war on Hungary for our claim or for the succession war between Poland and Austria on monarch death. I've got enough money to keep my army maintenance full but it's a tight squeeze and I'm trying threatening Austria's allies into breaking the alliance (excluding myself) but they've still got enough for it to be a full on mega war.

Then the fucker in Hungary somehow manages to squeeze out an heir two months before shuffling off his mortal coil and Austria and I send our armies home before sheepishly re-allying Hungary.

If you want to press your claim for a PU you're gonna have to truce break. Five years is plenty of time to find an heir, even if it has to come from events.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Elman posted:

If you want to press your claim for a PU you're gonna have to truce break. Five years is plenty of time to find an heir, even if it has to come from events.

I was expecting him to die in less time to be honest

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqmMJF6xWto

1.19 no exploits Ryukyu WC. This is good stuff.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Elman posted:

I wish he had the whole thing recorded and uploaded in real time, I'd watch it from start to finish!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Elman posted:

God drat.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
I feel like France shouldn't ally the Ottomans in 1447

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Yashichi posted:

I feel like France shouldn't ally the Ottomans in 1447

I was just thinking that in my Venice game. I've noticed it a few times.

The most impressive part to me is Europe in under 50 years, including Austria with a PU over commonwealth. Wowee...

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Franco-Ottoman alliance historically persisted from Suleiman the Magnificent right up till Napoleon, and the AI often seeks it out for the same reason as the real French and Ottoman monarchs were desirous of it: to wit, gently caress Austria in its stupid face. It's a bit lame when it happens like the minute the game starts but RNG happens, what can you do.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Elman posted:

Interesting! Very surprising that developing in colonial nations is so strong. I wonder if that also works for subjects?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

PleasingFungus posted:

Interesting! Very surprising that developing in colonial nations is so strong. I wonder if that also works for subjects?

Just looked and it lowers liberty desire by 5 per development. That's...good to know.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

TorakFade posted:

I swear the game must recognize when you're not playing ironman. All my ironman games go to poo poo 50-100 years in, and so I started a normal castile game.

Iberian wedding fires early, then just after integrating naples I get another event to PU Portugal.

Not 20 years later I get a PU on burgundy.. Then I get a PU over hungary. Also both Portugal and burgundy went all in on colonization so when I finally integrated them (and bullied France out of their mexican Colonial nation) I literally had all of North and south America.

Needless to say I steamrolled everything, it's now 1750 and I own all of Italy, france, Spain, Morocco, Tunis and the Americas. Still have hungary to integrate but at this point, why even bother

Are you playing with AI bonuses or lucky nations turned off? A lot of the challenge in an ironman game comes from all the major countries getting powerful passive buffs to make sure that they blob and prosper if the player doesnt gently caress with them directly

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Tsyni posted:

The most impressive part to me is Europe in under 50 years, including Austria with a PU over commonwealth. Wowee...

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. By 1720 he's still got like all of Europe and the Americas to go, and then pow, all Ryuku. I just don't have the patience to endure 400OE though.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Tsyni posted:

Just looked and it lowers liberty desire by 5 per development. That's...good to know.

The net result will be a bit less than 5 though, as liberty desire now increases continuously instead of big jumps at 100 and 300. The liberty desire decrease from this will also decay separately from other ways of making them happy (such as paying off debt, or placating) so plan accordingly. For example, if your have a Persia that absorbs 200 LD worth of defecting provinces, you would want to placate as prestige allows, until you are at the point where you could dump enough of the other things to bring them in line.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. By 1720 he's still got like all of Europe and the Americas to go, and then pow, all Ryuku. I just don't have the patience to endure 400OE though.

Yeah, drat, I hardly thought it was even possible. I guess maybe with humanism the constant rebellions aren't so bad?

It's encouraging to see a couple of exploit free Ryukyu runs though, it makes me think I might actually be able to do it someday. Someday there's a huge exploit anyway, like that duplicating custom nation ideas thing a year or so back. But I really want to get it and One Faith at the same time so I never have to touch a world conquest again.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Koramei posted:

Yeah, drat, I hardly thought it was even possible. I guess maybe with humanism the constant rebellions aren't so bad?

It's encouraging to see a couple of exploit free Ryukyu runs though, it makes me think I might actually be able to do it someday. Someday there's a huge exploit anyway, like that duplicating custom nation ideas thing a year or so back. But I really want to get it and One Faith at the same time so I never have to touch a world conquest again.

Yeah, humanism makes expanding so painless...but 400 OE? ffs...that's crazy to me. The other crazy part of his run is like 3/4 or 3/5 whatever it was admin ideas to start.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Any idea when 1.20 is coming out? Got an itch to start a new game but I don't want to bother if the next patch is just around the corner.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I think we just haven't adjusted to the non random heirs. With the constant prestige income from conquering everything you can reroll heirs until you have a really good one. In the few games I played since rights of man came out I never really hurt for monarch points like in earlier versions.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Yeah, I think it's a bit overpowered honestly. For the first patch ever I found myself not actually wanting to be a republic when given the choice.

Tsyni posted:

The other crazy part of his run is like 3/4 or 3/5 whatever it was admin ideas to start.

He started with exploration, then replaced it later. Which is something else I've never tried but I guess apparently it's really viable.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Alright, jumping back into this game as Castile. An immediate question I have is what to do about trade and pirates. I had my light ships protecting trade, but I was still getting looted. So I set them to hunt pirates. Do you need two fleets now? One for protecting trade, the other for hunting pirates?

And did something happen to the music? War music (Ride Forth Victoriously, as an example) is playing at peace time.

Node fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Dec 30, 2016

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

You can't stop looting. It's something the berber nations (and the knights) can do to gain poo poo loads of Ducats every 10?years

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Node posted:

Alright, jumping back into this game as Castile. An immediate question I have is what to do about trade and pirates. I had my light ships protecting trade, but I was still getting looted. So I set them to hunt pirates. Do you need two fleets now? One for protecting trade, the other for hunting pirates?

And did something happen to the music? War music (Ride Forth Victoriously, as an example) is playing at peace time.

Bathe North Africa in fire.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Use heavy ships to hunt pirates. With enough of them they stop the berbers from looting too.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Node posted:

Your game is probably bugged. It should just be looping https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0Z59pTPDZs

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

uPen posted:

Your game is probably bugged. It should just be looping https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0Z59pTPDZs

I haven't been struck by Falalalalaan yet.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I have newly bought the couple music packs I didn't have already, and I wish the game would add bias so the newly acquired DLC songs play more. I get to hear Sabaton once in a decade..

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I have newly bought the couple music packs I didn't have already, and I wish the game would add bias so the newly acquired DLC songs play more. I get to hear Sabaton once in a decade..

Open the convenient in game music manager and select your favorites to play right away.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I'm pretty sure Sabaton tracks are more likely to play if you're Sweden. All I know is that whenever I'm Sweden, it's basically Lion of the North on repeat.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Node posted:

Basically yes, you need two fleets. The good news is that you probably only need a few ships hunting pirates to nullify the coastal raids. The way coastal raids work is that the amount of loot gained is reduced by the effectiveness of pirates in the node. So, if you have -99% pirate efficiency (easy to maintain if there's no ships actively pirating you) then that's 10 years where you don't have to worry because your provinces gain the tag but the pirates only take an insignificant amount of loot.

That being said, either conquer or vassalize any North African muslim countries near you, two sea zones should do it.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I've started a songhai game, it's fun but you need to spend loads of monarch points to buy feudalism and Renaissance

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Would be nice of there were alternative ways to get institutions as a non white man, perhaps something like the missions in the new ages mechanic?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I thought you couldn't stop coastal raids.

I guess I don't have to avoid that area like the plague anymore.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
I am doing the The sun never sets on the Indian empire and I have everything but London. But England still has their French holdings, and even expanded them I think, and is now in a PU under Austria... This is going to be a world-spanning slogfest. At least I'm allied with Morocco-turned-into-Andalusia who owns half of Iberia.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

deathbagel posted:

I wish he had the whole thing recorded and uploaded in real time, I'd watch it from start to finish!

Uh, that guy apparently made this reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/eu4/comments/5kyik3/ryukyu_onetag_world_conquest_119/

People started calling him out in the comments, pointing out weird stuff that might mean he was cheating. He deleted the thread :geno: That's pretty suspicious.

I'd like to try one of these Ryukyu runs sometime, in any case. At least it'll be good practice and then later I can roll back to a patch where it was easier (with or without exploits) and try it for real.

Elman fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Dec 30, 2016

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Elman posted:

Uh, that guy apparently made this reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/eu4/comments/5kyik3/ryukyu_onetag_world_conquest_119/

People started calling him out in the comments, pointing out weird stuff that might mean he was cheating. He deleted the thread :geno: That's pretty suspicious.

I'd like to try one of these Ryukyu runs sometime, in any case. At least it'll be good practice and then later I can roll back to a patch where it was easier (with or without exploits) and try it for real.
Or he didnt feel like dealing with the the mass idiocy of redditors and their conspiracy theories.

Koramei posted:

He started with exploration, then replaced it later. Which is something else I've never tried but I guess apparently it's really viable.
Yeah it makes sense if you get your value out of it and have the monarch points to replace it with something else that you want/need. You get 10% of your investment back so its not a total loss. I was thinking of trying for a WC as the Ottomans and I would start with Admin and drop it once I hit admin efficiency 2.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
He did a nice trade tutorial video fwiw.

Edit: ^also yeah reddit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
You don't want to drop Admin idea group because it reduces coring time, while admin efficiency does not

• Locked thread