Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Neurolimal posted:

That's usually so the bases can blend in with more tables, but you are right that it's pretty dull.

I'll just make my own table that matches my bases.

There is no limit to my biting off more than I can chew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Yo if anyone's seen any Jojo-inspired death korps of Krieg, post it! I want to see purple capes and helmets and green everything. Going to make my own once I get back to my hobby table.

Dr. Gargunza posted:

This is all excellent advice, and a very helpful post.
Counterpoint: You could also be like me and just go nuts with the eye-searing because "gently caress it, it's Chaos"

:krad:

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
The other thing with the bases is that you want them to stand out from the models; or rather, you want the models to stand out from the bases. For the necrons, maybe go with something blue or red on the bases?

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

JackMann posted:

The other thing with the bases is that you want them to stand out from the models; or rather, you want the models to stand out from the bases. For the necrons, maybe go with something blue or red on the bases?

Here's a more top-down photo I took during whiter lighting during the daytime.

I'll also be going back and adding crystals to the open areas here and there. I don't think my colors need to be contrasting for my model to stand out from my base, it's already metallic standing on dark/green.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

General Olloth posted:

Here's a more top-down photo I took during whiter lighting during the daytime.

I'll also be going back and adding crystals to the open areas here and there. I don't think my colors need to be contrasting for my model to stand out from my base, it's already metallic standing on dark/green.

Yeah, that's a much better picture. The changes in lighting and perspective show off the contrast a lot more cleanly. Nice work!

Thanks for the compliments, guys! I painted up Kranon the Ridiculous as part of the oath thread a couple years back, mostly to show off the cape, which I did with the airbrush that I decided to buy immediately after watching this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Y6TlMIYXWw

...And now you understand my artistic process. See thing demonstrated ==> "welp better do that thing I guess"

e: goddamn stupid phoneposting not playing nice with video rassum frassum

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Dr. Gargunza posted:

Yeah, that's a much better picture. The changes in lighting and perspective show off the contrast a lot more cleanly. Nice work!

I got too excited having finished the last set of detailing on the 5th one. I'll wait until daytime next time, or get some better lights.

gilljoy
May 3, 2009
Any UK goons have any recommendations for painting stations? Just got a new desk and want to keep it looking decent

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The citadel paint station and project box are both actually pretty good.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I don't think the station is sold anymore. The hobbyzone one looks nice if you can find it cheap.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

What's the cool good way to prime nowadays? I have a can of... Armory? The one with Munchkin-like characters on it. It might have been comprised by the cold garage though. I also have some squeeze bottles of Vallejo Hm airbrush primer. I'm not sure I feel like getting the airbrush out but I could just paint it on there right? Just one thin layer maybe?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Fun fact: the spaces for Citadel paint pots on the paint tray are big enough to fit a miniature on a 32mm base.

gilljoy
May 3, 2009
Looks like the citadel one isn't available anymore except the project box which is hellish expensive.

Looks like the hobby zone one it is.

Similarly any recommendation for cutting matts?

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Warlord Games sells basically the same thing:

https://us-store.warlordgames.com/collections/paint-racks

AssumingHobby Zone is NZ currency the prices are competitive if you want the large station & rack from Warlord.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007
So I got an Obelisk/Tesseract Vault for christmas that I'm slowly working on, and I've been thinking about the base.

I want some terrain that looks like it's actually being warped by being near the thing.

I've been having trouble googling any examples of this type of thing and was wondering if anyone had any jumping off points for me for examples of similar stuff?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

gilljoy posted:

Any UK goons have any recommendations for painting stations? Just got a new desk and want to keep it looking decent

The Hobbyzone stations are good, assuming you don't mind having to wait 24 hours to use it (while the glue dries.) I got a cutting mat from Amazon - any one with good reviews will be fine, though I prefer the green mats, as they make it easier to find dropped pieces.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
Any recommendations for cell-shaded style painting? I've browsed around and found a few examples and walk-throughs, including a pretty great example of pink cell-shaded 'Nids, but I'd like to cast the net here.

I'm looking into painting up Hasslefree's Mystery, Inc look-alikes as a present for my brother, and I feel like really bright tones and sharp outlines would match things really well. He's a ridiculous Scooby Do fan, so I figure that this will be a good birthday gift for him.

I'm also hoping someone knows a manufacturer that does a decent Vincent Price miniature, as I've got some fond memories of watching the Thirteen Ghosts of Scooby Do with him, and after finding that 7TV has a free ruleset for staging ridiculous rubber-mask mysteries, I decided that this probably needed to be done.

Any recommendations for goofy-looking monsters that can clearly be Old Man Jenkins looking to keep these meddling kids away from the haunted grain silo secretly housing a counterfeit Pepsi operation would also be greatly appreciated.

On that note, is there a thread for finding random weird miniatures for "X, But Not Officially" or other weird genre-appropriate stuff? I feel like that's a thing that should exist.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Admiral Joeslop posted:

What's the cool good way to prime nowadays? I have a can of... Armory? The one with Munchkin-like characters on it. It might have been comprised by the cold garage though. I also have some squeeze bottles of Vallejo Hm airbrush primer. I'm not sure I feel like getting the airbrush out but I could just paint it on there right? Just one thin layer maybe?

Assuming you're not in Antarctica or the desert: Rustoleum or Krulon primer. They're dirt cheap, go on incredibly well without obscuring detail, are very tough once cured, and set in minutes. They're a cold lacquer, so they wont damage the plastic but once cured will resist every type of paint solvent.

Some general tips:
Metallic/Pearl/high gloss parts: Black Gloss
Bright colors: Flat/Gloss White
Mixed/general colors: Flat Grey
Try to avoid the primer + paint ones; they'll still go on evenly, but some use hot lacquer (i.e it will try to dissolve into the plastic and make everything look soft at best case) and/or go on a little thicker than the primers.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Hedningen posted:

Any recommendations for cell-shaded style painting? I've browsed around and found a few examples and walk-throughs, including a pretty great example of pink cell-shaded 'Nids, but I'd like to cast the net here.

Prime white, don't be afraid to get bold colors, line with a pure black, don't blend or drybrush at all, layering entirely (you can blend in cel, but thats best left as the last thing to consider in the model)

Here's a well-documented cel-shaded Gundam; the large reference should help you figure out how to approach cel shading in real life. Caveat; as a highly modular posable kit he was able to create multiple parts for different lighting angles, you'll have to pick one angle to shade and line from (I'd suggest top-forward if it will be a desk thing, or directly forward if it's going on a shelf).

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Neurolimal posted:

Assuming you're not in Antarctica or the desert: Rustoleum or Krulon primer. They're dirt cheap, go on incredibly well without obscuring detail, are very tough once cured, and set in minutes. They're a cold lacquer, so they wont damage the plastic but once cured will resist every type of paint solvent.

Some general tips:
Metallic/Pearl/high gloss parts: Black Gloss
Bright colors: Flat/Gloss White
Mixed/general colors: Flat Grey
Try to avoid the primer + paint ones; they'll still go on evenly, but some use hot lacquer (i.e it will try to dissolve into the plastic and make everything look soft at best case) and/or go on a little thicker than the primers.

Doesn't gloss make any paint you put on slide off? Or is primer mixed to not do that?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Doesn't gloss make any paint you put on slide off? Or is primer mixed to not do that?

It might for some, but in my experience the Krylon & Rustoleum gloss primers are still "tacky" even after curing. I did all three of the Reaper how-to-paint models in gloss black (mainly because I was priming some other parts to be chromed at the time) and had no issues applying Reaper or Liquitex paint.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

gilljoy posted:

I use the Privateer Press one. It's small enough to not take up a large space but big enough for most miniature related stuff.

Bonus is that it has markings for arcs and whatnot for 30/40/50mm bases.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
For real though what do people use cutting mats for? I do all my blade stuff in the air

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

signalnoise posted:

For real though what do people use cutting mats for? I do all my blade stuff in the air

For cutting? I'll put something down on the mat and cut downward on it. It's especially useful when you're cutting something off a sprue or you want to brace what you're cutting so you don't stab yourself in the hand or whatever. I also paint on it and leave my models on it, as the cutting mat makes for a nice designated hobby space.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
I once buried one of those large exacto knives in my thigh while cutting a sprue. It was basically the same move Gene Wilder makes in Young Frankenstein. Except IRL.

It's a pretty sweet scar though.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

gilljoy posted:

Looks like the citadel one isn't available anymore except the project box which is hellish expensive.

Looks like the hobby zone one it is.

Any. A fabric store, Walmart, Guiry's, art supply store, or arts and crafts store will have a self-healing cutting mat to buy in a variety of sizes.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

SRM posted:

For cutting? I'll put something down on the mat and cut downward on it. It's especially useful when you're cutting something off a sprue or you want to brace what you're cutting so you don't stab yourself in the hand or whatever. I also paint on it and leave my models on it, as the cutting mat makes for a nice designated hobby space.

Also it keeps the paint/glue off the desk itself when you get it all over the place like an idiot.

I cut on my mat often when I'm chopping up stuff for magnetizing it or customizing the pose or cutting something off a sprue.

Although I just broke down and bought one of those sprue cutters and I don't think I'll be xactoing stuff off the sprue very often anymore. It's pretty nice.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

General Olloth posted:

Although I just broke down and bought one of those sprue cutters and I don't think I'll be xactoing stuff off the sprue very often anymore. It's pretty nice.

Yeah I have a really nice Xuron flush cutter I got for under 15 bucks it's great

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Hedningen posted:

I'm looking into painting up Hasslefree's Mystery, Inc look-alikes as a present for my brother, and I feel like really bright tones and sharp outlines would match things really well. He's a ridiculous Scooby Do fan, so I figure that this will be a good birthday gift for him.

I'm also hoping someone knows a manufacturer that does a decent Vincent Price miniature, as I've got some fond memories of watching the Thirteen Ghosts of Scooby Do with him, and after finding that 7TV has a free ruleset for staging ridiculous rubber-mask mysteries, I decided that this probably needed to be done.

Any recommendations for goofy-looking monsters that can clearly be Old Man Jenkins looking to keep these meddling kids away from the haunted grain silo secretly housing a counterfeit Pepsi operation would also be greatly appreciated.

On that note, is there a thread for finding random weird miniatures for "X, But Not Officially" or other weird genre-appropriate stuff? I feel like that's a thing that should exist.

I've had a couple of goes at this with mixed success.

I found that picking a single highlight and shade for each area and getting good solid colours were key to the look.

Get a decent set of micron pens and use them for outlining, it's much easier than trying to paint on all the outlines.

Also kudos for being one of the few people who remember Vincent van Ghoul, though sadly I've no leads for minis of him or Flim Flam.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
Does anyone have any tips regarding masking tape? I spent like 5 hours today trying to do Harlequin diamonds on jet bikes and the masking tape not only allowed paint to bleed but also pulled up paint. Is there a particular brand that is really good? I let the models dry in the warm sun for like 4 hours before putting the tape on, should I have waited longer?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Another squad of Cataphractii Terminators - these guys were fun to paint!

An apothecary with a crooked chainsword to keep some of these goons alive:

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
One of them appears to be drunk. 😮

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

mango sentinel posted:

One of them appears to be drunk. 😮

i'lL sHOw You a Pwaower FisT!

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

SRM posted:

i'lL sHOw You a Pwaower FisT!

Since you're into classic stuff (I think you're the guy for this) is there any good place for third party Saturnine termies? On one hand I really like the design and want to make a chaos one with a nass of tentacles for the head hole, on the other hand their OG models are hideous and probably really expensive

Thanks in advance m8

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Neurolimal posted:

Since you're into classic stuff (I think you're the guy for this) is there any good place for third party Saturnine termies? On one hand I really like the design and want to make a chaos one with a nass of tentacles for the head hole, on the other hand their OG models are hideous and probably really expensive

Thanks in advance m8

Unfortunately not that I know of. A friend of mine got a forumware one from a dude who just cast up his own sculpts of them in his garage, and that's pretty cool, but the dude only did one run of them.

Speckled Jim
Dec 13, 2008

JesusIsTehCool posted:

Does anyone have any tips regarding masking tape? I spent like 5 hours today trying to do Harlequin diamonds on jet bikes and the masking tape not only allowed paint to bleed but also pulled up paint. Is there a particular brand that is really good? I let the models dry in the warm sun for like 4 hours before putting the tape on, should I have waited longer?

Some things Ive tryed include, varnishing the paint layer to be taped over and a coat of varnish over my masking tape before painting. This has proved successful in stopping paint bleeding under my masking. As far as stopping paint coming up with my tape, I wait an excessive time between layers and cross my fingers.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
One thing I've heard of people doing is to paint the model, put the tape down, and then paint the same color again. Wait for it to dry, and it will seal the tape. Now spray your over-color.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Array of unrelated questions:

1) Anyone familiar with Scale75? How is the quality? I'm so not good at the prep phase of minis and have no patience for pieces that line up poorly, mold lines etc... Trying to get better, but at $50+ for one model, I hope it's good.

2) Any suggestions for a model holder? I was looking at this guy. I really like that it has a magnifying glass and LED. But then I've seen other ones such as this , which is triple the price but I like how flexible it looks. Thoughts? Debating if I should get the more expensive one and just buy a standalone magnifying glass / light.

3. I bought actual paint thinner for the first time last night after practicing using water for a bit. I followed the Reaper Minis post linked in the OP which lists ratios for water:paint. Is actual thinner the same?

4. Similarly, I bought Metal Medium too. Should I be thinning my metal paints with this? Or is it only for adding a metallic effect to non-metallic paints? What ratios should you use for this?

Also have some poopy photos.

Never painted denim before. Don't much care for how it came out, but in the photos it's not so bad. Need to touch up his revolver too, I gave it a quick wash but it is still very flat. Also wish I had the foresight to greenstuff his top into a suit and file down his gun to be a pistol and just paint him like Samuel L Jackson in Pulp Fiction.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Dec 30, 2016

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
Last night I painted my first miniature with actual eyes. It did not go well.

edit: oh and the teeth, too.

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat

Speckled Jim posted:

Some things Ive tryed include, varnishing the paint layer to be taped over and a coat of varnish over my masking tape before painting. This has proved successful in stopping paint bleeding under my masking. As far as stopping paint coming up with my tape, I wait an excessive time between layers and cross my fingers.

Also use a nice painters tape like 3m or scotch. If it's pulling up paint, try putting the tape on your jeans or whatevs so that it's not as tacky. If it's still pulling paint, I'd say the paint that the tape is being laid on is not completely dry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

signalnoise posted:

I'm imagining you cutting models like fruit ninja