Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kea
Oct 5, 2007

DoubleDonut posted:

What are my options for replacing a SNES controller? One of mine stopped working and I don't know anything about electronics. I'm fine with buying third-party as long as it's decent.

You could buy an old SNES controller and hope to get a good working one, you could try and repair your current one or you could possibly buy one of the 8bitdo wireless adaptors and controllers if you dont mind dropping a chunk of cash on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

You could try seeing of Monitor Burn has some.

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.
Someone on the Facebook group The CRT Collective posted a picture of a Super Famicom SF1, the tv with a built in Super Famicom. It was the 14" model. They captioned the photo saying today's pick up and that it paid to know people at the recycling centre. People were understandably excited at his great find. He then said he could get 3 more, so people were messaging him and replying to the post like crazy trying to get one.

After a while people were starting to get a little suspicious. Why would a recycling centre in PA have 4 new in box SF1s like he was claiming? Just as I was leaving for dinner someone posted a link to a blog showing the pic he used from like April. Busted.

http://velarise.tumblr.com/post/142229222103/sf1-crt-with-built-in-snes

When I got back from dinner the post was gone.

I'll never understand why someone would go to the trouble of faking a find like that. Is your life so empty that you have to make up a story to get likes from strangers on Facebook? If he had just said he found 1 no one would have questioned it. Why get so greedy and say you found 4? Insane.

I gotta admit though I wish it was real. I would have road tripped from Toronto to PA to get one.

beaver_cheese fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Dec 30, 2016

Kea
Oct 5, 2007
Thats weird but all kinds of rumors get started that way, people making outlandish claims and being unable to back them up but then they get remembered a year later and repeated as gospel truth. I think some people just like the attention they get and dont necessarily think through the entire plan.

edit: oh yeah or that vvvvv

Kea fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Dec 30, 2016

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

beaver_cheese posted:

Someone on the Facebook group The CRT Collective posted a picture of a Super Famicom SF1, the tv with a built in Super Famicom. It was the 14" model. They captioned the photo saying today's pick up and that it paid to know people at the recycling centre. People were understandably excited at his great find. He then said he could get 3 more, so people were messaging him and replying to the post like crazy trying to get one.

After a while people were starting to get a little suspicious. Why would a recycling centre in PA have 4 new in box SF1s like he was claiming? Just as I was leaving for dinner someone posted a link to a blog showing the pic he used from like April. Busted.

http://velarise.tumblr.com/post/142229222103/sf1-crt-with-built-in-snes

When I got back from dinner the post was gone.

I'll never understand why someone would go to the trouble of faking a find like that. Is your life so empty that you have to make up a story to get likes from strangers on Facebook? If he had just said he found 1 no one would have questioned it. Why get so greedy and say you found 4? Insane.

I gotta admit though I wish it was real. I would have road tripped from Toronto to PA to get one.

What do you mean why? You explained why. He was trying to scam people out of money.

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.

Caitlin posted:

What do you mean why? You explained why. He was trying to scam people out of money.

I really don't think that was the case. He wasn't even offering to sell directly or even really replying to anyone about it. Maybe so though, and he was just overwhelmed with the response he got from the group.

Seems like a bad scam too. Not really something people would want to ship. I know I'd only be doing an in person transaction for one.

I think it was just a case of a guy wanting to show off without anything of his own to show off.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

beaver_cheese posted:

I really don't think that was the case. He wasn't even offering to sell directly or even really replying to anyone about it. Maybe so though, and he was just overwhelmed with the response he got from the group.

Seems like a bad scam too. Not really something people would want to ship. I know I'd only be doing an in person transaction for one.

I think it was just a case of a guy wanting to show off without anything of his own to show off.

Likely he didn't expect the fast / overwhelming response. Of course it's a bad scam, that's why it didn't work. But saying "I can get 3 more" is 100% getting ready to bait for money. Plus you never know about private messages.

e : mostly what I'm saying here is he's dumb as hell and it was probably gonna be a dumb as hell scam

Caitlin fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Dec 30, 2016

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Caitlin posted:

Likely he didn't expect the fast / overwhelming response. Of course it's a bad scam, that's why it didn't work. But saying "I can get 3 more" is 100% getting ready to bait for money. Plus you never know about private messages.

e : mostly what I'm saying here is he's dumb as hell and it was probably gonna be a dumb as hell scam

Yeah, the initial plan obviously was to lure in a few suckers who would go, "OMG! I'll pay you $$$$ for that!" Then he went from merely stupid and greedy to incredibly stupid and incredibly greedy by saying there were a few available.

For a more fun topic, I want to learn to 1 credit a shoot-'em-up, but I'm not certain what game I should go with. The only shooter that I've ever been able to pull that off on is Blazing Lasers. There's others that I've gotten close (Gradius and Parodius games mainly), but haven't been able to do it. I kind of want to start with something relatively new me; it's okay if I've played it a few times but if I can get to stage four or five on a credit I probably won't want to go for it. Bullet hell is not my forte and I know Ikaruga and Radiant Silvergun are out mainly because I think I'd kill myself before I managed to clear them on a credit.

So what's a good shoot-'em-up to go for?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

it's okay if I've played it a few times but if I can get to stage four or five on a credit I probably won't want to go for it.

This is kind of a problem as getting to 4 or 5 on a credit is still a challenge that takes a relatively long time of practice on just about any arcade shooter. I would say try something like R-Type which is really memorization-heavy and you can follow along with youtube videos or something like Twin Cobra where recovery isn't that hard (use the blue weapon nearly always). Gradius is a really bad choice and if that was the game I was learning on I'd probably quit the genre, it's profoundly frustrating and not very fun imo

edit: I know you said no bullet hell but Dodonpachi is a lot of people's first 1CC and it's easier than it looks. I'm not a fan of bullet hell in general either but it's a very early entry in the genre and pretty different from what came later

e2: Heavy Unit and Strato Fighter are very easy clears if you just want to 1CC anything

d0s fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Dec 30, 2016

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Raiden 1 or 2?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Thunder Force 3 is a fun, easy, no-bullshit clear.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

My first was G-Darius. Played the demo to perfection so many times that when the game hit the bargain bin at Funcoland I couldn't pass it up.

And looking it up I see there was a "version 2" that pumped up the difficulty while axing a common exploit. Might have to check that out.

e: Looks like G-Darius is on the PS2 Taito Legends 2 and some people are saying it's "harder" than the arcade original. Is this version 2?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

mariooncrack posted:

Raiden 1 or 2?

I'd say 1 on the easier 2P side (blue ship) would be pretty good for someone who doesn't play a lot of these games (use red weapon and yellow missiles)

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Yo, retro thread?

Remember the $5 EasyCAP knockoff capture device I mentioned?

Well, in my quest to be both a weirdo cheapskate and to waste my money so you don't have to, I got another fairly cheap rear end video capture device from China:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/361506745098

This one does YPbPr (component) video! Whoo?

It was advertised on Ebay as USB 2.0 YPbPr Component RCA Composite AV S-Video Video Capture Card HD Grabber, and apparently uses the Empia 28285 chip (or a clone thereof)

I didn't really have anything component friendly handy except my PS2's setup screen and HDLoader through Free McBoot, but it's enough for now:

Those shots are directly from the capture/monitor mode in Media Player Classic, saved as 100% quality JPEGs. Overall...not horrible? I suspect composite video would be a lot worse, but I'm not really in the mood to hunt down that cable for my PS2 to do a comparison between the two right now. I figured I'd post it both as a curiosity and a "been there" example for anyone curious about it. I'll have to play with it some more of course, but for $18, it is what it is.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Kea posted:

Thats weird but all kinds of rumors get started that way, people making outlandish claims and being unable to back them up but then they get remembered a year later and repeated as gospel truth. I think some people just like the attention they get and dont necessarily think through the entire plan.

edit: oh yeah or that vvvvv

Like Hagane being a Blockbuster exclusive :rolleyes:

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

flyboi posted:

Like Hagane being a Blockbuster exclusive :rolleyes:

I really like that rumor it made me $800

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Random Stranger posted:

For a more fun topic, I want to learn to 1 credit a shoot-'em-up, but I'm not certain what game I should go with. The only shooter that I've ever been able to pull that off on is Blazing Lasers. There's others that I've gotten close (Gradius and Parodius games mainly), but haven't been able to do it. I kind of want to start with something relatively new me.

Gun Nac is more Compile and pretty easy. You'll be right at home after Blazing Lazers. Space Megaforce/Super Aleste is also really similar but crazier.

Also Gokujou Parodius is shorter than the others and Kid Dracula in the SFC version is pretty drat powerful.

I can't really think of others, your favorites are the same as mine.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I love compile to death but you're not gonna grow as a shooter player if the only games you try to clear are compile/other console exclusives. that's not to say they aren't loving awesome games, they're just extremely easy compared to arcade games (unless you don't like arcade difficulty at all which is totally cool!)

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I know there are some Densha de Go people in here. I'm looking at getting one of these.

Would it be worth the $30 I would be paying?

e: Or would it be better to just spend like another $20-30 for the real controller?

mikeycp fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Dec 30, 2016

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Wow, I actually found a hard crash bug in Mario Party 5; If you land on the capsule roulette in Future Dream on the last turn, it'll hardlock as it starts because you're not meant to get Capsules on the last turn.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wow, I actually found a hard crash bug in Mario Party 5; If you land on the capsule roulette in Future Dream on the last turn, it'll hardlock as it starts because you're not meant to get Capsules on the last turn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GB0kCTtuhKY

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Regarding my hunt for a shooter, I'm not necessarily looking for easy or to improve myself; I'm looking to have some fun as I do this.

Dodonpachi is out because I can already get to the fourth stage on a credit in the PS1 version. It's the same situation with G-Darius, though I'm not as good at that one (haven't compared the PS1 version with the Taito Memories version which I suppose I should do sometime)..

The Raiden games or Thunder Force might be a fun choice just because I've hardly ever played those. GunNac might be worth a shot, tool.

mikeycp posted:

I know there are some Densha de Go people in here. I'm looking at getting one of these.

Would it be worth the $30 I would be paying?

e: Or would it be better to just spend like another $20-30 for the real controller?

I have seen those a lot cheaper than $30.

My view on that controller is that if you're getting a specialty controller for Densha de Go, why are you getting one that's effectively just a standard PlayStation controller with some of the buttons missing. The best choice of controller is one of the two stick options. The one stick model works fine, though. The green model has analog brakes and door controls for the trolley game. The blue model is a giant waste of money since it's for the Shinkansen game, though if you absolutely want it then get the PS2 version instead of the Wii one so you have a working digital speedometer instead of a sticker.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
An analog synth Metroid soundtrack remake:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6fceLfjB4s

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Random Stranger posted:

For a more fun topic, I want to learn to 1 credit a shoot-'em-up, but I'm not certain what game I should go with. The only shooter that I've ever been able to pull that off on is Blazing Lasers. There's others that I've gotten close (Gradius and Parodius games mainly), but haven't been able to do it. I kind of want to start with something relatively new me; it's okay if I've played it a few times but if I can get to stage four or five on a credit I probably won't want to go for it. Bullet hell is not my forte and I know Ikaruga and Radiant Silvergun are out mainly because I think I'd kill myself before I managed to clear them on a credit.

Spirit Soldier Spriggan is the easiest Compile shooter. Perhaps too easy. But even if you don't one-shot it, you should play it anyway because it's awesome.

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011
Bought myself a Dreamcast from a local game store as a birthday present. Anyone want to recommend good games for it? Especially looking for good four player party games.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Claytor posted:

Bought myself a Dreamcast from a local game store as a birthday present. Anyone want to recommend good games for it? Especially looking for good four player party games.

Chu Chu Rocket.

With the obvious out of the way, Power Stone is a great series that's fairly obscure. You have to get Crazy Taxi. The Sega fishing games are pretty fun. I guess I might as well mention Ecco at this point, too.

The real problem with the Dreamcast is a lot of my best recommendations are super expensive. Skies of Arcadia, the 2D Capcom fighters, Ikaruga, Shenmue...

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

Chu Chu Rocket.

With the obvious out of the way, Power Stone is a great series that's fairly obscure. You have to get Crazy Taxi. The Sega fishing games are pretty fun. I guess I might as well mention Ecco at this point, too.

The real problem with the Dreamcast is a lot of my best recommendations are super expensive. Skies of Arcadia, the 2D Capcom fighters, Ikaruga, Shenmue...

They could always burn some of the really pricy ones. Skies of Arcadia is an amazing game but I highly recommend getting the Gamecube version if you really want to play it (still expensive though)

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Random Stranger posted:

I haven't gotten super far in it, but Phelios on Genesis is super fun and is a nice change up. Instead of space aliens it's Greek mythology. Vertical though. Also Gaiares if only for the mullet guy in their advertisements.

I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016
But of course a bunch of overmonied turbodorks eyebanging $200 copies of bad Saturn games would come up with such a sneering epithet as "emulamer."

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

I AM THE TOILET posted:

But of course a bunch of overmonied turbodorks eyebanging $200 copies of bad Saturn games would come up with such a sneering epithet as "emulamer."

I thought it was a funny name, who cares if some people have a problem with emulation and call it something dumb.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I was in town earlier and one of the second hand stores that sells old games for way too much money seems to be attracting a lot of boxed copies of Lylatwars with the rumble pak.

Kea posted:

They could always burn some of the really pricy ones. Skies of Arcadia is an amazing game but I highly recommend getting the Gamecube version if you really want to play it (still expensive though)

I have that version from when it came out and it's very much my "sell if I'm badly in need of money" game.

Claytor posted:

Everything already mentioned (Power Stone 2 if you're only getting one of those), Soul Calibur is good for winner stays on stuff too.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

mariooncrack posted:

Raiden 1 or 2?

Goodness gracious no. Unless you have crazy ninja reaction skills. Those bullets are stupid fast and there are sniper tanks everywhere. Good games, just don't expect to get very far on default difficulty.

The easiest AC shmup I've played is probably Irem's Fire Barrel/Air Assault. Also Vimana with autofire.

Really, though, just get a full MAME romset, go through this list, and play a few credits in each to find one that you like. Then go into the dipswitches and put it on easy difficulty/max lives/bombs/etc and 1CC it, then do it again on defaults.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

njsykora posted:

I have that version from when it came out and it's very much my "sell if I'm badly in need of money" game.

Yeah If I remember rightly I bought it for £5 or so a long time ago so it's current price was a bit of a surprise.

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

I AM THE TOILET posted:

Calm down.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Claytor posted:

Illbleed.

You'll thank me when you get to the part with the sentient talking blood cake.

I love this game so loving much.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

DoubleDonut posted:

What are my options for replacing a SNES controller? One of mine stopped working and I don't know anything about electronics. I'm fine with buying third-party as long as it's decent.

Honestly you might just try opening it up yourself and seeing if there's anything obviously loose or whatever. You might be able to fix it, and if you can't, well, it was already broken so no big loss.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Ready for another entry in Random Stranger demonstrates an obscure game that nobody in their right mind would care about? Well, not this time! I've got a game that's super popular... in Japan and completely unknown everywhere else.

That title is Machi, which means neighborhood. And it's a visual novel (or sound novel as it's creator ChunSoft was calling them at the time) that was initially released on the Saturn and was ported to the PS1 and later the PSP.

The premise isn't simple. You follow the lives of eight characters who each have very different stories that intersect in the Tokyo neighborhood of Shibuya. The choices made in one character's path changes what happens in other stories.

The eight characters are:
  • A girl whose boyfriend has demanded that she go on a crash diet.
  • A mobster who is mistakenly identified as taking part in a robbery and
  • An actor who is mistaken for him.
  • A college graduate who is being blackmailed for participating in protests.
  • A high school student who has a former girlfriend turn up saying she had a baby.
  • A game obsessed detective who is seeing threatening messages on the screens of Shibuya.
  • A writer whose dreams are being haunted.
  • A former soldier who can't get over the combat he saw in the foreign legion.

The story takes place over five days. One of the characters start out by being able to play out the full five days, most of the rest start out with only a few hours. One of the characters starts with a bad ending with absolutely no choices offered. Some of the characters have their stories stop with "To be continued" for when you find the correct signal to unlock the continuation. There are 122 bad endings before you find the right combination of actions to resolve everyone's problems.

Besides changing actions by picking the right choices, at some points words are highlighted. You can get more details about that topic and how it relates to the story and this sometimes unlocks more pieces of the story. For example, the writer knows someone who works in television. So when that comes up in his story, you can jump to the actor's story where a scene of him getting shot is revealed to be a television show.

The game has a timeline that shows the progress of the stories and when major events occur in them. You can use this to jump between points to make changes.

It's not a surprise but the acting, photography, and make up is really terrible in this game. It just looks cheap and feels like everyone involved in the video production were amateurs.

Still, it's kind of intriguing in terms of set up and seeing how things are connected. I'm looking forward to being able to dig into this more deeply.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Claytor posted:

Dynamite Cop

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

finally got my RetroPie up and running in the front room so the peasants won't hurt my precious hardware. the picture still doesn't seem as good as SCART RGB but it might just be my imagination.

BTW this is your required reminder that Shinobi III for the Genesis is really, really goddamn good. Play it if you haven't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I AM THE TOILET posted:

it's an epithet from 90's emulation IRC chat rooms to describe people who beg for ROMs, relax

• Locked thread