Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

etalian posted:

Nate Silver blamed the Comey letter as the primary reason for Abuela's defeat.

Not campaign blunders such as overlooking rust belt states or wasting resources to convert rich republican voters.

I wouldn't say primary reason, I'd say single smallest action that resulted in a swing large enough to change the result, which would have been the billy bush tape if the comey letter hadn't happened

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Ice Cream Barbara posted:

*image of sticky telling people not to kill themselves*

*butthurt cspam posters* that guy doesnt even post here stop embarrassing us by bringing up all these meltdowns

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
a forum is judged by how it treats its weakest members.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Baloogan posted:

a forum is judged by how it treats its weakest members.

i say send em all back to gbs :twisted:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Darkman Fanpage posted:

i say send em all back to gbs :twisted:

I'm afraid that D&D refugees will be unable to adapt to CSPAM culture.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZlD5RXkeuA

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

tbh a Chinese led dystopian is looking pretty good right now.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

tbh a Chinese led dystopian is looking pretty good right now.

https://youtu.be/YqmbLYWAki4

China.avi

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

If the guy hasn't even started yet and everybody is all "but the other candidate would have been so much worse" - that's not a good sign

On the other hand:

axeil posted:

It's amazing that at least on paper Buchanan doesn't seem like an absolute disaster but then you look at what he did in his 4 years and jesus christ it might be the worst presidency in American history.

Nckdictator posted:

On paper Buchanan looks great. lawyer, veteran of 1812, 4 term congressman, senator, ambassador to Russia, ambassador to the UK, and Secretary of State. In practice though...

Add that half his cabinet was plotting against him. (To quote Grant's memoirs:)

"Meanwhile the Administration of President Buchanan looked helplessly on and proclaimed that the general government had no power to interfere; that the Nation had no power to save its own life. Mr. Buchanan had in his cabinet two members at least, who were as earnest—to use a mild term—in the cause of secession as Mr. Davis or any Southern statesman. One of them, Floyd, the Secretary of War, scattered the army so that much of it could be captured when hostilities should commence, and distributed the cannon and small arms from Northern arsenals throughout the South so as to be on hand when treason wanted them. The navy was scattered in like manner. The President did not prevent his cabinet preparing for war upon their government, either by destroying its resources or storing them in the South until a de facto government was established with Jefferson Davis as its President, and Montgomery, Alabama, as the Capital. The secessionists had then to leave the cabinet. In their own estimation they were aliens in the country which had given them birth. Loyal men were put into their places. Treason in the executive branch of the government was stopped. But the harm had already been done. The stable door was locked after the horse had been stolen."

QuoProQuid posted:

FREMONT AND OUR JESSE VS. "OLD BUCK"

lol, the joke is that fremont has a hot young wife while buchanan is an old gay guy who will probably die alone.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Powerball...

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

I'm just going to pretend they're yelling screw you taxpayer. gg China

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWEnqC1uPu0

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

clearly not cuz shes DEAD

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kraps posted:

clearly not cuz shes DEAD

Quit it with the spoilers, I haven't seen Rogue One yet

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
2016 brought backup and then killed her mother too

don't gently caress with 2016

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/BAKKOOONN/status/813865907617460224

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
loving Americans and their dislike of death, I swear.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
death is natural and good

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Darkman Fanpage posted:

death is natural and good

Actually death is bad and once they find a way to keep your brain alive in a jar we will finally be free of it.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Volcott posted:

Actually death is bad

Only sometimes

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Volcott posted:

Actually death is bad and once they find a way to keep your brain alive in a jar we will finally be free of it.
Yes but immortality will probably just mean you are going to slowly go madder and madder in your jar as you are forced to watch younger people select obviously terrible candidates to lose to weird joke candidate voted in by the other crazy brains in their jar. To the closest suicide box then!

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Clearly ducks are Russian propagandists.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

russia hack the duck

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Thanks Chris

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

bullshit, Dorner Lives!

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Strudel Man posted:

loving Americans and their dislike of death, I swear.

Unironically this. Necrophiles have a much healthier attitude towards death than the average American.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Volcott posted:

i would stlil want to die thanks

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
also maybe i've just not been exposed to this, but what is the unhealthy death attitude? is it just we try and prolong out life to disgusting extremes and treat death as something horrible to endlessly freak out about rather than have quiet dignified response (the real thing americans are incapable of)

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

DrPossum posted:

also maybe i've just not been exposed to this, but what is the unhealthy death attitude? is it just we try and prolong out life to disgusting extremes and treat death as something horrible to endlessly freak out about rather than have quiet dignified response (the real thing americans are incapable of)

so like voldemort

sorry i only know how to look at the world through harry potter

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

DrPossum posted:

:yeah:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Basically we should all aspire to the same sort of relationship with Death that Thanos has

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

DrPossum posted:

Please crunch the gently caress outta memaw's chest so that she may live one more day as a comatose husk because funerals are so sad y'all.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
This is the unhealthy death attitude:

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

When AND IF Tom Waits ever passes away, I'm going to be a loving wreck. I dread reading that headline every single time I hear about a celebrity death. I will need to take a personal day off work, and I may have to start drinking again, which I am also dreading. He and his music have meant so much to me, I can't even put it into words.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Guy Goodbody posted:

Basically we should all aspire to the same sort of relationship with Death that Judge Death has

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

devtesla posted:

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenfry
Nov 3, 2009

I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.

devtesla posted:

that seems like pretty regular human grieving

maybe americans are bad because they don't like euthanasia? is that what some posters are trying to get at?

death outside of euthanasia is a tremendous waste of resources. eventually, biological immortality for humans would mean fewer children, and less children is a good thing at any extent