Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BLUNDERCATS! noooo
Oct 30, 2008

Anung Un Rama, Urush Un Rama
I have a question regarding Ana: why are people constantly jumping around with her even when there are no enemies nearby attacking? When I watch replay videos of higher-tier players they always seem to be jumping around and zooming in+shooting during the jump. Why is that? Something about frames or hitboxes I don't get?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I don't like 3v3 but it is at least infinitely better than 1v1. dunno what they were thinking with that mode

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

BLUNDERCATS! noooo posted:

I have a question regarding Ana: why are people constantly jumping around with her even when there are no enemies nearby attacking? When I watch replay videos of higher-tier players they always seem to be jumping around and zooming in+shooting during the jump. Why is that? Something about frames or hitboxes I don't get?

You don't slow down while you jump-scope so you can keep your momentum but also scope.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
It's also important for all squishies to jump around (With purpose that is.) that way if a sniper/sombra are honing in on you and you don't know it, they'll have a much harder time trying to land the headshot. Certain character models like Ana/Lucio have really hosed up hitboxes while jumping, that's why you'll see them dance on the cart as the entire enemy team tries to kill them.

BLUNDERCATS! noooo
Oct 30, 2008

Anung Un Rama, Urush Un Rama
Both of those answers make sense, thank you. I don't know if I'll ever be at a place where I can do the jump-scope on console but I'm gonna try it out and see if I can get that down.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Also years of World of Warcraft has conditioned me to literally never stop jumping ever

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Macaluso posted:

Also years of World of Warcraft has conditioned me to literally never stop jumping ever

No wonder flamewreath fucks with so many people

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Manatee Cannon posted:

I don't like 3v3 but it is at least infinitely better than 1v1. dunno what they were thinking with that mode

NO way. 1v1 is over with quicker at least.

Spider2414
Apr 17, 2013

UP AND ADAM posted:

I loving hate the heroes they give you though.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

1v1 Zarya is really a pain :(

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

UP AND ADAM posted:

random hero mirror matches is the worst idea for a game mode I've ever seen

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
it's good with some heros, really bad with others

why is bastion in that mode

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Manatee Cannon posted:

random hero mirror matches is the worst idea for a game mode I've ever seen

It's Good

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Thor-Stryker posted:

It's also important for all squishies to jump around (With purpose that is.) that way if a sniper/sombra are honing in on you and you don't know it, they'll have a much harder time trying to land the headshot. Certain character models like Ana/Lucio have really hosed up hitboxes while jumping, that's why you'll see them dance on the cart as the entire enemy team tries to kill them.

To a certain extent. This game has a pretty low air-strafing speed so jumping is basically you locking yourself in a direction for a full second. This only matters if the person you're playing with has done nothing but play twitch shooters their whole life, but in general rapidly strafing left and right is a safer strategy, against hitscans at least.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I actually don't mind 3v3 much but I don't play it because if it actually looks like my team is going to win, someone on the other team quits and it kicks everyone out of the game, making it completely pointless.

1v1 is probably the same, but I don't play it because I'm terrified of finding out that my losses aren't my team's fault and instead, I am just bad at the game.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Nihilarian posted:

someone on the other team quits and it kicks everyone out of the game

If that used to happen it doesn't anymore, it just fills in the spots like QP

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

1v1 mode in overwatch isn't a very good test of skill tbh

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

MMF Freeway posted:

I had a 3v3 two weeks ago where two people on the other team ragequit simultaneously and it kicked us all out

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

MMF Freeway posted:

it happened to me less than a week ago

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I specifically remember because I recently joined a game just in time to see the defeat screen, got the backfill bonus and everything. It might end the match if the spot isn't filled in time or something.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Manatee Cannon posted:

this is very true since i win 1v1 a lot and i am bad at overwatc h

PersonalGenius
Mar 1, 2013

Barefoot on the Moon

Manatee Cannon posted:

Oh thank god, because I suck at it.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
A question about custom games: On KOTH maps, is there a way to specify which of the map points you want? Like, if I want to practice only on Illios: Well or Lijiang: Garden, is there a way to set that up? I tried messing around with map options but it only puts me on the first map in the list (i.e. if I specify Lijiang, random point order, it will only put me on Lijiang: Night Market no matter what I do).

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Blizz please wake me up from this Symmetra hell

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Macaluso posted:

Blizz please wake me up from this Symmetra hell

Mei is still worse.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I've made it 2909, my career high so far, maining Soldier, flexing to Pharah for a life or two to harrass the enemy's backine, then switching back to push through

games are so much more fun at this level

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
I've plateaued at 3150 for some reason

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
What streamers are good Roadhog players? I feel like I really can't get the hang of the play style. I'm great with the hook but I don't feel I'm an effective contribution to the team usually.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Good Will Hrunting posted:

What streamers are good Roadhog players? I feel like I really can't get the hang of the play style. I'm great with the hook but I don't feel I'm an effective contribution to the team usually.

harbleu would probably be a good start; he's one of the best pro roadhogs in na. I know he has a youtube channel with at least 1 video that teaches you some nice tricks for roadhog

never seen his stream tho so idk if he's actually good about explaining what he's doing or if he's insufferable or not tho

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Man, QP has been brutal to me today. Its like launch week with nothing but one-way stomp fests.

stale meme dot png
May 5, 2015
College Slice
When I first started playing I would watch youtube videos of nerds sperging out on comms over team comps and individual players not doing their jobs and laugh so hard. How could they take it all so seriously? Now... I don't get actually angry but I do sort of wish people would pay attention to comps. And not use sombra unless they really know what they're doing.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
What's with the exploit to get inside the geometry of the Mei winter event map? I'm one of the few that enjoyed that mode but it's unplayable because of this nonsense unless you get on comms and warn people not to approach their spawn. Also apparently in 3v3 too. :(

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
I think I may have plateaued around 2500 until I decide to get a mic and play better. I got up to 2600 slampicking D.Va, but have dropped back down to 2400 and stagnated. I'm definitely not as good at Overwatch as I was at TF2, but here's to getting better in 2017*

*a new years resolution I can keep!

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
I'm so dumb. Ignore me

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Anyone want to buddy up and make me less terrible? No mic at the moment sadly. In as name

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Is Pharah basically queen of the new meta?

I've seen her in like 90% of matches lately and no one knows how to loving look up and shoot her.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

strangemusic posted:

I've seen her in like 90% of matches lately and no one knows how to loving look up and shoot her.

That's always been the case. Pharah will never disappear because she's fun as hell and countering her is a lot harder than people like to make it sound.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

strangemusic posted:

If by "queen of the meta" you mean "a low-tier pick who's occasionally the right choice" then yes.

She's a little bit less vulnerable to her usual counters than she used to be but other than that nothing's really changed.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

strangemusic posted:

no. she's ok tho since the 4 tank/2 support lineups need someone to swap off to get a good counter. roadhog and ana can do it but they're not as scary as soldier or mccree are to pharah. the crazy tank bias is pharah's saving grace since it can often crowd her counters out

also soldier being a more common pick than mccree for hitscan is actually way better for pharah because burst damage is a lot scarier for her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Is it even mathematically possible to crawl out of the death spiral that is sub 500, or should I give up after losing all but one placement match which was a draw?