Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

Sitting Here posted:

That said, if you're writing 400K of fantasy, you're going to have plenty of fat to trim. Love the fat. Enjoy it before you have to sheer it away and leave it to rot in your many many note files.
Take comfort in the fact that after you've left your mark on the literary community and shuffled off this mortal coil that your progeny will proceed to take that trimmed fat and ride the coattails of your success with poorly developed stories based on notes from world you've so meticulously constructed.

anime was right posted:

so uh

what do you do when you finish a first draft of a book.......... that you dont hate.

i've thrown away two books now.

this is weird.

also when do i start trying to sell the thing
I rewrote my pilot 3 times and bothered a couple friends and a couple of domers who have provided some really insightful feedback. This thing is so close to query-ready I can loving taste it. It feels good. Having people read and tell you the good and the bad from the perspective of someone who isn't you feels like progress.

magnificent7 posted:

Hey Writertards

Open Culture just dropped some wisdom for your rear end. (Okay, more than two years ago, but from the perspective of the milky way's existence, it JUST loving HAPPENED.)
http://www.openculture.com/2014/03/stephen-kings-top-20-rules-for-writers.html

Stephen King’s Top 20 Rules for Writers
1. First write for yourself, and then worry about the audience
2. Don’t use passive voice
3. Avoid adverbs.
4. Avoid adverbs, especially after “he said” and “she said.”
5. Never let Stanley Kubrick pull a face-hugger-chest-burster with one of your stories.
6. The magic is in you,beer cans, cigarette butts, grams of cocaine, Xanax, Valium, NyQuil, dextromethorphan and marijuana, but only in bulk.

etc. etc. Read the article to get the rest. Contact your neighborhood street pharmacist to learn more...
I can see how the stimulants would help Steven, but writing anything outside of what your face mashes into the keyboard while tripping robo or tooting xannies seems a bit of a stretch...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Stephen King's steps for writing: get blasted until you can't remember how you wrote the book, include a fat woman as a villain, something something psychic Mainers.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

change my name posted:

Stephen King's steps for writing: get blasted until you can't remember how you wrote the book, include a fat woman as a villain, something something psychic Mainers.

Also your main character is a writer, because you should always write what you know in the most literal sense.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

yeah stephen king sucks haha what a loser

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015
The thing I remember most from reading his book is the story of how his babysitter was abusive and how it was framed as like 'oh how whimsical and normal'. Maybe I'm just a weirdo, but the whole time I was reading it I was like 'Jesus I'm never trusting my kids with a babysitter'.

Also his writing book is frontloaded with good basic writing advice and then after about, one page worth of practical advice the rest is waffling anecdotes. Which was kind of fun too I guess.

The story about him getting ran over by one of his own characters was pretty great.

It's also the only Stephen King book I've ever read.

I did see the version of the shining he wrote though. So don't read his advice if you're gonna write for TV.

cosmically_cosmic fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Dec 25, 2016

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I enjoyed his writing book; I don't think I got anything particularly new or world-shattering from it, but it was probably the high point of my vacation this year. (which was an awful vacation) I did like the bit of him going over a draft of his, though; i like seeing process stuff ilke that.

I like Stephen King, on the whole. I also like giving poo poo to Stephen King, so. :v:

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

ravenkult posted:

yeah stephen king sucks haha what a loser

Nah I think he's great, but I'll still rip on him because he's not perfect. I can't think of a book I've loved that didn't have at least one flaw - doesn't make it any less good. Still gonna rip on it though!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

change my name posted:

Stephen King's "Stay the gently caress Out of Maine"

Naerasa posted:

Nah I think he's great, but I'll still rip on him because he's not perfect. I can't think of a book I've loved that didn't have at least one flaw - doesn't make it any less good. Still gonna rip on it though!

I loving love Stephen King's idea, and he is a better selling writer and has more fans than I will ever see in ten lifetimes over because lol indy book with fans in the hundreds at best...

...but honestly, I don't like his writing

:ohdear:

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Naerasa posted:

Dare you to find a flaw in The Long Walk (okay so I'm sure there's some flaw to point out, but it's really loving good).

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I want my book to be more than just another by-the-numbers forgettable lovely horror/thriller/suspense novel like 99.99% of the scary books out there.

Now - before you laugh and call me an idiot (again and again) what I'm asking isn't "wahh wahh how come nobody loves my poo poo?"

I'm asking if certain books (authors) deliberately break away from genre / cut-out-bin / forgettable poo poo because that author is amazing, (the obvious answer) or because they're writing a style/genre that goes beyond "horror" or "Suspense."

TLDR? I list examples you'll probably disagree with and that's okay my point is that there are authors/books that go beyond disposable airport books.

== still reading? okay. ==

Cormac McCarthy has written ten novels since 1968; each one a disgusting display of incredibly crafted deep symbology/theme/motif, untypical plot structure, character arc, stuff that, YES I KNOW comes from years of writing, a liberal arts degree, and stuff, but also, the overall style goes beyond typical fiction.

Another example, this time a debut novel: The Girl On The Train. On goodreads, it's called "The debut psychological thriller that will forever change the way you look at other people's lives."

None of the characters are likable, it's an unusual style of writing, (to me at least), there's something more going on than just an author who knows a 3-act plot structure, character arc, show-don't-tell and all the typical earmarks of an author's early novels.

== EDIT:
In fact, let's break it out of just books. Tales like The Babadook; why do you think THAT movie is being hailed for breaking out of the typical horror genre? Is it the psychological mix? Or was/is the screenwriter pushing outside of just one genre and they succeeded?
==

Is the style that she's writing -- is that Spec Fiction or Fancy-Pants Literature or something that distances THAT TYPE of book from the poo poo books that show up in grocery stores?

Or is it just the answer I really don't want to hear:
THOSE AUTHORS ARE REALLY GOOD (or not, if you hate them) AND WORK REALLY HARD.

Because if that's the answer, gently caress that noise.

magnificent7 fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Dec 30, 2016

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

In the case of Girl on the Train, you could try reading a book you liked and just ripping it off.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

change my name posted:

In the case of Girl on the Train, you could try reading a book you liked and just ripping it off.
Is that what that was? It's a ripoff of another story? (Gone Girl seems to come up in reviews) Was the original story similar, in the way it distanced itself from typical forgettable books?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

magnificent7 posted:

Is that what that was? It's a ripoff of another story? (Gone Girl seems to come up in reviews) Was the original story similar, in the way it distanced itself from typical forgettable books?

It's not a direct ripoff per-say so that was a little harsh, but yeah, the author lifts a lot of the tone and style from Gone Girl. It's more of a cash-in on the new popularity of the "bad girl/noir" genre directly.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
yes it does turn out being good and spending a lot of time on your books means they come out better. i dont think it has anything to do with the genre, there's a lot of bad poo poo in every genre and a good writer knows how to make their genre work.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

flerp posted:

yes it does turn out being good and spending a lot of time on your books means they come out better. i dont think it has anything to do with the genre, there's a lot of bad poo poo in every genre and a good writer knows how to make their genre work.
What I'm asking, I think, is it just great skill and effort to craft books like McCarthy's stuff? His stuff reads like fables or mythology to me. I honestly can't say what exactly it is... I get a similar sense from reading Annihilation by Jeff VanderMeer. His book is called "weird fiction" and I get that, but the way he tells the story is this odd very direct kind of style, that, when I read it, I love it, but couldn't tell you where it comes from beyond just "well, it's just a really good book."

Maybe I'm over-complicating / procrastinating. NAAAAH.

change my name posted:

It's not a direct ripoff per-say so that was a little harsh, but yeah, the author lifts a lot of the tone and style from Gone Girl. It's more of a cash-in on the new popularity of the "bad girl/noir" genre directly.
Totally get that, and maybe Girl on the Train is a bad example to use - it's definitely OF a specific genre, and it's "Rear Window" with booze and a train.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Mag7 you are sort of asking WHAT IS THE X FACTOR and apart from saying it's maybe literary (novel as art) vs genre (novel as predictable unit of entertainment) it really comes down to amazing writers writing amazing books. Writing the book you want to read is a good start, I guess?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
You have to read what you like.

The common factor with people who break the mold is that they looked at what they liked and then they asked themselves "what can I do differently in this genre?"

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

sebmojo posted:

it's maybe literary (novel as art) vs genre (novel as predictable unit of entertainment)
I think that's the key there.

HIJK posted:

they looked at what they liked and then they asked themselves "what can I do differently in this genre?"
Ditto. Great points. Okay. Thanks y'all.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
good books probably come from "I need to write this story" rather than "I want to write a good story, hmmm what do readers think is good"

just follow yr heart and the lord will provide

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Sitting Here posted:

good books probably come from "I need to write this story" rather than "I want to write a good story, hmmm what do readers think is good"

just follow yr heart and the lord will provide

not necessarily good books but at least books you like writing and have a lot of fun with

it's also a great way to starve to death if you want to have a regular career

and also a fantastic excuse for the fact your stuff is crap because only you want to read it

It's a balancing act, like in all things.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

Chokes McGee posted:

not necessarily good books but at least books you like writing and have a lot of fun with

it's also a great way to starve to death if you want to have a regular career

and also a fantastic excuse for the fact your stuff is crap because only you want to read it

It's a balancing act, like in all things.

actually no you acerbic goofball I mean well-regarded books that sell. For example, Frank Herbert was intensely fascinated by the Oregon dunes and flaked out on writing a research article so he could go wax on about ecology in one of the most influential scifi novels of all time. It's pretty easy to tell when an author is moved to write a story by their own longing, expertise, or curiosity, and IMO it makes the reading experience much richer.

but also, yeah, a lot of people just want to write their passion and they aren't trying to hawk their words for max $$$$ on Amazon, or whatever. Some of those people will sell fiction, some won't.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

There is something to be said for pursuing commercial interests with what you write, but there is very little to be said for blaming one's book tanking on not knowing the magic spell that successful authors cast.

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

Sitting Here posted:

actually no you acerbic goofball I mean well-regarded books that sell. For example, Frank Herbert was intensely fascinated by the Oregon dunes and flaked out on writing a research article so he could go wax on about ecology in one of the most influential scifi novels of all time. It's pretty easy to tell when an author is moved to write a story by their own longing, expertise, or curiosity, and IMO it makes the reading experience much richer.

but also, yeah, a lot of people just want to write their passion and they aren't trying to hawk their words for max $$$$ on Amazon, or whatever. Some of those people will sell fiction, some won't.

The passion stories are definitely the ones that have the most staying power IMO. They also get away with things that are maddening in stories that are attempting to be "good" or "future classics" as far as I've noticed.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
If you're in it for the money, something something give up now.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Sitting Here posted:

actually no you acerbic goofball

YOU GODDAMN SELF PUBLISHING KIDS GET OFF MY LAWN

my bad

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"
Look, we all know that there is some kind of continuum between writing solely to make money and solely to masturbate to your artistic fantasies or whatever. There's no need for people to flip out about it (in both directions) all the time.

Wherever you find yourself on the continuum, fine. As long as you don't lie to yourself about it and then complain about not getting what you really want. >:-(

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
gimme da cash

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

Look, we all know that there is some kind of continuum between writing solely to make money and solely to masturbate to your artistic fantasies or whatever. There's no need for people to flip out about it (in both directions) all the time.

Wherever you find yourself on the continuum, fine. As long as you don't lie to yourself about it and then complain about not getting what you really want. >:-(

Look, I just want to be paid to masturbate. Is that really so wrong?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Naerasa posted:

Look, I just want to be paid to masturbate. Is that really so wrong?

you're literally in the wrong industry but figuratively in the write one.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
gently caress books

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

General Battuta posted:

gently caress books

im not reading you on this, is this a joke?

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

stick your penis in a book

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

take a look, gently caress a book

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Buy my new erotica hardcover, it's a fantasy novel that you can read if you want but it also doubles as a fleshlight.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

anime was right posted:

im not reading you on this, is this a joke?

He is serious books are p bad my friend

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
this is probably a bad time to ask about the sequel to Baru Cormorant...

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
It's actually been going really well lately, I've just about finished a draft, but my total word count on this project over the past couple years is approaching the obscene figure of one point five million

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

General Battuta posted:

It's actually been going really well lately, I've just about finished a draft, but my total word count on this project over the past couple years is approaching the obscene figure of one point five million

Congrats on getting into Year’s Best Science Fiction and Fantasy 2017, by the way!

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Ha, that just goes to show how weird writing can be - that was one of my oldest stories, it got ripped up in critique and took me forever to sell. You really can't predict what people will like! So you've just got to keep doing the work and submitting.

One of the editors who picked the story for Year's Best rejected it from his magazine earlier that year. It just hit him differently the second time he read it. You can't let rejections get to you, they're like the weather.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

General Battuta posted:

Ha, that just goes to show how weird writing can be - that was one of my oldest stories, it got ripped up in critique and took me forever to sell. You really can't predict what people will like! So you've just got to keep doing the work and submitting.

One of the editors who picked the story for Year's Best rejected it from his magazine earlier that year. It just hit him differently the second time he read it. You can't let rejections get to you, they're like the weather.

printing this post and framing it

• Locked thread