Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Who the gently caress calls someone a lamer outside of GameFAQs in 2002?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Star Man posted:

Who the gently caress calls someone a lamer outside of GameFAQs in 2002?

it's "retro"

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

quit flaming the lamers, d00dz

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Claytor posted:

Bought myself a Dreamcast from a local game store as a birthday present. Anyone want to recommend good games for it? Especially looking for good four player party games.

Hydro Thunder. Almost arcade perfect(some textures are lower resolution)(2player max though). Burn off some of the Beats of Rage custom games.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Got Blinking Light Win for Christmas. Got to play Mega Man again :megaman:

I suck at it now :smith:

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Claytor posted:

Bought myself a Dreamcast from a local game store as a birthday present. Anyone want to recommend good games for it? Especially looking for good four player party games.

go get a stack of blank CDs, there are tons of good dreamcast games and lots of them are expensive. I don't really know much about party games for the system but here are some dc games I like

border down
cannon spike
cosmic smash
crazy taxi 1/2
d2
dead or alive 2
dynamite cop
f355 challenge
giga wing
guilty gear x
hydro thunder
illbleed
jet set radio
karous
maken x
power stone 1/2
project justice
psychic force 2012
puyo puyo 4
radirgy
rez
rippin riders
seaman
sega bass fishing
sega rally 2
shenmue 1/2
shikigami no shiro 2
skies of arcadia
sonic adventure
soulcalibur
space channel 5
street fighter III third strike (if using CRT hold start+L on boot until you see capcom logo, game is blurry otherwise)
sword of the berserk
tech romancer
tee off
tokyo bus guide
tokyo xtreme racer 1/2 (stupid title but genuinely fun)
under defeat
virtua fighter 3tb
virtua tennis
zombie revenge

d0s fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Dec 30, 2016

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

d0s posted:

it's an epithet from 90's emulation IRC chat rooms to describe people who beg for ROMs, relax

ayy man u got bubsy, can u dcc it to me

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Code Jockey posted:

ayy man u got bubsy, can u dcc it to me

Only if you set your timers to 999.

symbebekos
Jun 6, 2011
This is your guys' fault:

It's a slightly beat up Sony PVM-20M2MDU. Needs proper calibration, but I love it. Next stop, SD2SNES in a Super Famicom cart shell.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Do they make an adaptor to use a USB or ps2 keyboard on the Dreamcast? I've always wanted to play typing of the dead but don't want to have a keyboard sized peripheral in my life.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

falz posted:

Do they make an adaptor to use a USB or ps2 keyboard on the Dreamcast? I've always wanted to play typing of the dead but don't want to have a keyboard sized peripheral in my life.

I think they do but I imagine considering how cheap a dreamcast keyboard is that it would be a waste of money to buy one to save a smidgen of space.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

d0s posted:

it's "retro"

The funny thing is you're the first person to tell people to emulate/burn/sdcart because this hobby is dumb and closed off if you're going off original hardware.

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

symbebekos posted:

It's a slightly beat up Sony PVM-20M2MDU. Needs proper calibration, but I love it. Next stop, SD2SNES in a Super Famicom cart shell.

It's so...beautiful. :allears:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

falz posted:

You can pay like $26 - $29 for the Sega-licensed MadCatz adapter or other third party adapters that converts an old PS/2 keyboard to the Dreamcast format, or you can buy a whole used Dreamcast keyboard for like $20.

Similarly you can get the official Dreamcast Mouse for $8 but the adapter from a PS/2 mouse to the Dreamcast is like $26.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

Ready for another entry in Random Stranger demonstrates an obscure game that nobody in their right mind would care about? Well, not this time! I've got a game that's super popular... in Japan and completely unknown everywhere else.

That title is Machi, which means neighborhood. And it's a visual novel (or sound novel as it's creator ChunSoft was calling them at the time) that was initially released on the Saturn and was ported to the PS1 and later the PSP.

Thanks for posting this. That sounds like a predecessor (spiritual or actual?) to 428 for the PSP/PS3/Wii, which I also highly recommend. I've got to check this one out.

Do you know anything about the differences between the different versions, and if it's best played on Saturn, PS1, or PSP?

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Random Stranger posted:

Still, it's kind of intriguing in terms of set up and seeing how things are connected. I'm looking forward to being able to dig into this more deeply.

This seems kinda cool. It makes me think of another game whose cover caught my eye when I was looking through the JP PS1 digital games a while back. I couldn't find any english info on it, but I plugged the title kanji into youtube and found an LP - apparently it uses still photos of actual roads that you travel around on.

As I was a huge fan of the Lone Wolf series gamebooks growing up, I would have loved branching-choice visual novels, but we didn't get any. :(

I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016

d0s posted:

it's an epithet from 90's emulation IRC chat rooms to describe people who beg for ROMs, relax

Thanks, Google.

I AM THE TOILET fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Dec 31, 2016

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Modus Pwnens posted:

Thanks for posting this. That sounds like a predecessor (spiritual or actual?) to 428 for the PSP/PS3/Wii, which I also highly recommend. I've got to check this one out.

Do you know anything about the differences between the different versions, and if it's best played on Saturn, PS1, or PSP?

428 is the sequel to Machi. I don't know about version differences though I doubt they're significant. Apparently the Saturn version was the first one (hence the appearance of a Sega arcade in the game; they go into the one in the picture I included and the guy gets his arm stuck in a claw machine) with the PS1 game following a year or two later. The PSP version is a remake that uses the same visual assets, though it does seem to more nicely formatted from the screenshots I can find.

One more thing. The reason Machi caught my eye is that Famitsu readers voted it the fifth greatest game of all time. Now I don't put a lot of stock into popularity contests like that, but when it's a game I didn't really know it made me want to understand why people liked it so much.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Dec 31, 2016

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

symbebekos posted:

hah, I have the exact same model coming to me

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Ofecks posted:

This seems kinda cool. It makes me think of another game whose cover caught my eye when I was looking through the JP PS1 digital games a while back. I couldn't find any english info on it, but I plugged the title kanji into youtube and found an LP - apparently it uses still photos of actual roads that you travel around on.

As I was a huge fan of the Lone Wolf series gamebooks growing up, I would have loved branching-choice visual novels, but we didn't get any. :(

Reading some Japanese sources on the game, that sounds super cool.

For those who can't (or don't want to) look up information, it's another visual novel but this one is presented as a travelogue where you explore Hokkaido. Apparently there's a lot of freedom in where you go and progress the story at different locations.

Edit: One more one more thing: ChunSoft's sound novel intro is kind of offputting:

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Dec 31, 2016

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Have you ever thought about doing a full LP of one of these games? That's something I'd definitely be interested in due to the language barrier (and seeing the goon hivemind choices RIP the story or character). I loved Spirit Armor's Sakura Taisen thread...

... he's coming back to finish it, right? :ohdear:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Ofecks posted:

Have you ever thought about doing a full LP of one of these games? That's something I'd definitely be interested in due to the language barrier (and seeing the goon hivemind choices RIP the story or character). I loved Spirit Armor's Sakura Taisen thread...

... he's coming back to finish it, right? :ohdear:

My Japanese isn't that great. Frankly, I was surprised at how much of Machi I understood; I popped it to get a feeling of how difficult it would be and was pleasantly surprised. But I'm now taking classes so maybe in six months or so I'll be ready.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

There was a Machi LP ongoing, but it's pretty dead. I'm on phone or I'd link it, but the thread title was something like The World Ends With You and You and You and You.

E: Found it.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Thanks, I'll check that out.

e: oh man it's good (well except that foodie girl's abusive boyfriend :argh:). Dead thread, so sad :(

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Dec 31, 2016

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Kea posted:

I think they do but I imagine considering how cheap a dreamcast keyboard is that it would be a waste of money to buy one to save a smidgen of space.

It's like 100:1 space. I'll happily pay more for a tiny dongle.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Man, Killer7 is loving weird.

I goddamn love it already. :munch:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Claytor posted:

Illbleed isn't at all what you're asking for but it's also one of the funniest games of all time and you should play it

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Just remember: the Killerman is Killerman.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Killer 7 is fantastic. Until you hit those giants which were a real pain to fight for me...

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Random Stranger posted:

Killer 7 is fantastic. Until you hit those giants which were a real pain to fight for me...

Yea. There are some frustrating parts, but overall it's worth it

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
I beat Clash at Demonhead a few minutes past midnight. First retro game completion of the New Year.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

So some crazy executive thought it was a good idea to get Grasshopper to do a Blood game on PS2 with the style of Killer7. And it's basically a prototype for No More Heroes.

Mace Bacon posted:

I beat Clash at Demonhead a few minutes past midnight. First retro game completion of the New Year.

Good job. That's one of those games I need to whip out a notebook and tackle.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mace Bacon posted:

drat Australians getting a jump on us.

Back here in the sucky year, I'm still deciding what shoot-'em-up I'm going to try to beat. I've decided on an arcade game mainly due to the fact I think it's more impressive to do it with something designed to take your money than with a console game. And I've decided that early to mid-90's is probably the period I'm going for since that's the point where the genre has settled in but it hasn't quite gotten insane yet.

Of course, I may be broken. I thought, "You know, I might just be able to clear ESP Ra.De. That doesn't look that difficult..." Despite wanting to keep away from bullet hell...

falz
Jan 29, 2005

My Turbo Duo stopped reading CD-R's about 15 minutes after deciding to spend the day playing Dracula X. It just went black, but before that the music track would play once in a level but not loop. I also tested a few other games Id burned months ago - Lord of Thunder, Ys 4, now they all just go black when you load. Fortunately it still plays real discs. Curious if anyone else encountered this? They're all the same type of media and burner so it's hard to adjust that variable.

I realize this is borderline :filez: but does anyone sell 'repro' discs that are actually pressed? I really don't want to spend $160 for a game (although I guess I could always sell it after?)

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

falz posted:

I realize this is borderline :filez: but does anyone sell 'repro' discs that are actually pressed? I really don't want to spend $160 for a game (although I guess I could always sell it after?)

Your only option there would be looking for the high quality pressed pirate discs from the 90s. But if you could even find them, they'd probably cost more than a legit copy!

Anyway, your laser's dying and soon it won't read any discs, so it's best to just get it replaced

falz
Jan 29, 2005

It reads real discs fine, at least at the moment.

Googling led me to these guys- I think they were mentioned on the 'Repros' game sack episode as possibly being dicks for not giving credit to translators of some of the things they sell, but I could have that wrong.

https://pceworks.wordpress.com/availability/
https://pceworks.wordpress.com/2016/11/02/akumajo-dracula-x/

I emailed to see how the discs are actually made.

Edit: added direct url. Also it looks like someone is selling this on ebay as new/factory sealed for >$100. They really need to change up the cover art or print REPRO on it or something.

falz fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Dec 31, 2016

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!

al-azad posted:

Good job. That's one of those games I need to whip out a notebook and tackle.

I only used a map showing the route numbers and gleaming a guide or two making sure I was on the right track. Also how to tackle the randomized Medallion puzzle at the end. (Start with just putting them in from left to right, then move over one to the right and repeat until they're all in)

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

And I've decided that early to mid-90's is probably the period I'm going for since that's the point where the genre has settled in but it hasn't quite gotten insane yet.

Just some ideas:

Mahou Daisakusen/Sorcer Striker (you said you like Compile games, this is basically Compile AC)
any of the 90's Toaplan games (although beware Tatsujin Oh and V-V, they are notoriously difficult)
any of the NMK games (Thunder Dragon 2, GunNail, Rapid Hero, etc.)
R-Type Leo
something on Taito F3 hardware (Gunlock/Rayforce, Gekirindan, Darius Gaiden)
Raiden 2/DX (not really for noobs IMO but you can try)
Wing Force (a recently discovered prototype, it's quite good and on the easy side)
Air Gallet (blows your socks off)
Strikers 1945 (I think Psikyo games are way too hard but you might like it)

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

falz posted:

My Turbo Duo stopped reading CD-R's about 15 minutes after deciding to spend the day playing Dracula X. It just went black, but before that the music track would play once in a level but not loop. I also tested a few other games Id burned months ago - Lord of Thunder, Ys 4, now they all just go black when you load. Fortunately it still plays real discs. Curious if anyone else encountered this? They're all the same type of media and burner so it's hard to adjust that variable.

I actually bought my Turbo Duo a little while back with a "faulty" CD drive that wouldn't read discs. My friend took a look at it and was able to fix it .. I'll try to write this in understandable english: he adjusted the screw inside the CD unit so that it wasn't as much on the .. outer rim? and instead closer to the inside, so it reads discs better. He said that playing CD-R's might cause it to tip more to the "outside" and might have to be adjusted again at some point. But I'm playing CD-R's on my Turbo Duo now mostly without incident.

Another option that people usually say is common with the Duo and CD games is that if the console is in the need of a recap, and it overheats (or something to this effect) and a symptom is that the music cuts out during gameplay. If your console is recapped, it might not be this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Interesting, i'll look in to adjusting laser a bit more. I do see that you can get replacement new lasers for $20ish on Ebay still (model HOP-M3), may be the way to go.

Also, that website emailed back already- their discs are pressed if anyone is curious.

If anyone else is curious about these guys, aforementioned Gamesack notes are at these timestamps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wrt27X2frjI&t=272s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wrt27X2frjI&t=1023s

Interestingly it appears that when they get discs stamps they may give away a bunch of disc-only copies on http://freeturbodiscs.com/, but they're currently all out.

• Locked thread