Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Well, this video fits the current topic nicely.

https://youtu.be/v9GpCCZ6NAE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Nintendo doesn't shut down YouTube content of their games, they just monetize it. The way it will work is they will get ad money for whatever you upload.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Have we reached deak deak yet?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

greatn posted:

Nintendo doesn't shut down YouTube content of their games, they just monetize it. The way it will work is they will get ad money for whatever you upload.

Which is kind of like killing the goose for the golden eggs but whatever

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Fulchrum posted:

A few indies? Virtually every indie game that is available for two or more platforms bundles them all with one price. Same with the ps2 HD versions on ps3 and vita. I think the only thing that people ever had to buy twice was the ps2 classics.

You can't play PS2 games on the Vita and you have to buy them again on PS4. Idiot.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

thexerox123 posted:

Maybe it will share the video only to Miiverse?

yeah it's gonna be exactly this. nintendo will have their own social network, miiverse or otherwise, to which you can upload screenshots/videos from your games. Whether that's a good or bad thing is up for debate - miiverse was incredible for hyped up twekve year olds, but it's inconvenient to not be able to upload stuff to youtube or whatever.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"
Complaining about anybody ripping off anybody else is kind of weird as everybody copies from everybody else.

Sony got dual sticks onto pads for their market. It became a standard.

Microsoft got a hard drive to their market via the XBox. Next generation console storage became a 'standard'.

Nintendo made the wave bird. Wireless controllers became a standard.

People will ape stuff that seems popular just to keep and grow their market share. To varying degrees of usefulness. Looking at you, kinect.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

TheKingofSprings posted:

Which is kind of like killing the goose for the golden eggs but whatever

There's absolutely no shortage of Nintendo content on YouTube.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

thexerox123 posted:

Maybe it will share the video only to Miiverse?

That's the dumbest possible way a share feature could be implemented, meaning it's probably what they'll do.

greatn posted:

So it's a "pay to be able to make Nintendo money" button? Even better.

Sakurazuka posted:

You can't play PS2 games on the Vita and you have to buy them again on PS4. Idiot.

Jak and Daxter collection, God of War Collection, Sly Cooper, Ratchet and Clank, Team Ico, Final Fantasy X, Jet Set Radio, Metal Gear Solid....

That kind of Ps2 port, not the "warts and all" kind.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Fulchrum posted:

How the gently caress is this gonna balance with Nintendo being copyright Nazis? With Sony a share button makes sense since they do not pursue legal action over footage of their games. But here, that's just going to end up as a "get Nintendo to close your account" button.

You can already upload clips to YouTube ingame of Mario Kart 8 on the WiiU.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Zaa Boogie posted:

Complaining about anybody ripping off anybody else is kind of weird as everybody copies from everybody else.

Sony got dual sticks onto pads for their market. It became a standard.

Microsoft got a hard drive to their market via the XBox. Next generation console storage became a 'standard'.

Nintendo made the wave bird. Wireless controllers became a standard.

Didn't Atari come up with wireless controllers in the early 80s?

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Rexroom posted:

The most bizarre statement in the video is that Rare sold themselves to Microsoft because of what happened to Dinosaur Planet which is like, the most opposite of what actually happened.

The Stampers and everybody else at Rare were expecting Nintendo to purchase the other half of Rare they didn't already own and were shocked when they were told that wouldn't be happening and started looking for other buyers as early as sometime in 2001.

Also I'll always posit that Dinosaur Planet still would have had plenty of the same lovely parts that Star Fox Adventures shipped with in the final version like the dumb test of strength and the overall abundance of collectables. Having that controversial coat of Star Fox paint slathered all over it gives the game a convenient out into what could have been.

It'd be like if Metroid Prime hadn't been a thing and Nintendo "suggested" to Rare that they rework a then in-development Jet Force Gemini into a 3rd-person N64 (or GCN) Metroid shooter. The controls still would have ended up as awkward as ever and the Tribal Collection poo poo that makes finishing the game a slog would have still been a pain, just with you playing as Samus instead of the twins.

Maybe the dog would have stayed.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

VideoGames posted:

Which Nintendo will either take down or claim all the profits for. Which is the opposite of what a share button is supposed to allow.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Fulchrum posted:

Which Nintendo will either take down or claim all the profits for. Which is the opposite of what a share button is supposed to allow.

The share button is for casually sharing clips on popular social media sites, which Mario Kart 8 allows.....

People who monetize their stuff use capture cards

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Rexroom posted:

Miyamoto shouldering a lot of decisions he didn't make there.

I do like Larry Bundy's video where he talks about Gamelife imploding.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I'm pretty sure a share button's basic function is to share your gameplay online, not give the person who pressed it money.

If you want to make money playing video games online you need to put in hard hours of work making good content on YouTube or doing a lot of streaming on Twitch, and need a competent capture setup. No one is becoming a superstar pressing their consoles share button.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Fulchrum posted:

I have some uploaded with no adverts and Nintendo have not issued a copyright claim, so I guess this means you are incorrect again.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

VideoGames posted:

you can do this with smash bros too

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

greatn posted:

Let's see them monetize it when I put Chains of Love into all the videos. :smug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N93DAiCs3Z4

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I might actually watch Sterling if his video opening wasn't so repugnant and he didn't insist on dressing like the villain from Indiana Jones. It's kind of sad he can't be himself and has to put on a fake tough guy persona that makes him look like a neo Nazi.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

greatn posted:

I might actually watch Sterling if his video opening wasn't so repugnant and he didn't insist on dressing like the villain from Indiana Jones. It's kind of sad he can't be himself and has to put on a fake tough guy persona that makes him look like a neo Nazi.

You do get that this is the joke, right?

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Jokes are just bashful truths, fulchrum

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Not a very good one. It comes off as pathetic. And the thing is of the videos I've watched I actually agree with him more often than not.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

greatn posted:

For some reason I've always assumed he has some sort of disgusting skin condition. Maybe it's the gloves. Who the gently caress wears gloves indoors, if it's not to cover up weeping sores?

Fulchrum posted:

You do get that this is the joke, right?

He makes himself look like a horrible obese nazi as a joke? And that's supposed to be good?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
seriously. I might consider watching his videos if he didn't look like Thirdreich Sparkle at the beginning.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Fulchrum posted:

Didn't Atari come up with wireless controllers in the early 80s?

They sure did! Though they kinda sucked. And then the video game market nuked itself.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Sterling's getup is goofy but he doesn't put up a "tough guy persona" in anything but the most obviously jokey tone. Dude goes on tangents about boglins.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
He's supposedly a very nice progressive young man but dress like if Brexit was a person

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Motto posted:

Sterling's getup is goofy but he doesn't put up a "tough guy persona" in anything but the most obviously jokey tone. Dude goes on tangents about boglins.

Plus he likes pogs and Skeletor. The man has impeccable taste.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I have no idea what a boglin is because I'm not from a weirdo collapsed empire (yet, give it a few years). I can only assume it's a Dr who villain or the bad guys from Grabbed by the Ghoulies. Possibly both.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

He's a nice guy and he's obviously being over the top because that's how you get attention online.

Sometimes I like his videos but it's a little much for me.

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Jim Sterling is good

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Guy Goodbody posted:

He makes himself look like a horrible obese nazi as a joke? And that's supposed to be good?

When he first started doing the videos, people reacted to him criticizing vidjagaems about as well as you'd expect. People started saying that by thinking he could dare criticize the actions of EA, Activision, Konami or Nintendo, he must think he's some kind of dictator nazi who gets to rule over games with an iron fist, and must think he is some kind of messiah sent by God. So he decided to just roll with that to mock the people freaking out.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

thexerox123 posted:

All this talk of Thousand Year Door is driving me crazy because I have it right beside me, and want to revisit it, but the only thing stopping me is that my Gamecube memory cards are either at my parents' house (which I can check at Christmas), or packed away... somewhere.

So I found my Gamecube memory card and have been replaying Thousand-Year Door for probably the first time since it first came out... it's good, but man, the Peach segments in the first game were so much fun... whereas in this one they're so cringeworthy and terrible.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fulchrum posted:

When he first started doing the videos, people reacted to him criticizing vidjagaems about as well as you'd expect. People started saying that by thinking he could dare criticize the actions of EA, Activision, Konami or Nintendo, he must think he's some kind of dictator nazi who gets to rule over games with an iron fist, and must think he is some kind of messiah sent by God. So he decided to just roll with that to mock the people freaking out.

He sure showed them

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
If he's that reactive to criticism, now that the number one criticism is "why do you dress like a Nazi", shouldn't he go the opposite direction?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I like how you think "a couple of people on this thread don't get the joke" means it's his number one criticism.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Fulchrum posted:

You should really consider thinking before posting

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Personally I don't see a problem with Jim Sterling's getup, because I can see it in the context of performance. He is shouting down from his ivory tower with Truths about video games, and he isn't afraid to dress the part, so to speak. It fits well with video games anyway, because aren't they more or less militaristic shootie-mans-in-dem-faces games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Guy Goodbody posted:

He sure showed them

He's a moderately successful "game critic" who can make money for bashing or praising videogames, we paid for the privilege to burn out a joke about a fat kid who takes videogames more seriously than the rest of us

• Locked thread