Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

My car does it sometimes but I have a drum hand brake. It also did it before I upgraded to bigger brakes with the caliber based hand brake mechanism.

Basically if it rained you'd get a clunk the next day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
Try a different pad compound maybe?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Semi-metallic pads? I've had cars do it in the past, but not with the new car due to it being electronic so it full releases as far as I can tell.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
They're whatever it came stock with. The car has 900 miles. Gonna pick up my plates from the dealer tomorrow or Wednesday and ask about it.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

fknlo posted:

They're whatever it came stock with. The car has 900 miles. Gonna pick up my plates from the dealer tomorrow or Wednesday and ask about it.

Are they super dusty? The brake pads that came on my MK4 GLI were super dusty and would do that.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

veedubfreak posted:

Are they super dusty? The brake pads that came on my MK4 GLI were super dusty and would do that.

The weather since I bought the car has pretty much made this impossible to tell so far. Hopefully this week will be different.

Almost at 1k miles and have been opening the car up more. It's pretty fast. It lacks the same sense of speed as the s2k which is likely to get me into trouble...

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I've had a super acrid rubbing alcohol smell coming from the vents in the cabin on mornings where it's been below freezing. It goes away after a minute or so its pretty annoying and google is coming up with a ton of wild poo poo that shouldn't be issues on a brand new car. Anyone else with an RS run into this?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KidDynamite posted:

I've had a super acrid rubbing alcohol smell coming from the vents in the cabin on mornings where it's been below freezing. It goes away after a minute or so its pretty annoying and google is coming up with a ton of wild poo poo that shouldn't be issues on a brand new car. Anyone else with an RS run into this?

Something I've noticed and I've also seen brought up with the GTI is that the factory washer fluid has a strong rubbing alcohol smell. Did you use your squirters to get frost off the windshield by any chance?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

fknlo posted:

Something I've noticed and I've also seen brought up with the GTI is that the factory washer fluid has a strong rubbing alcohol smell. Did you use your squirters to get frost off the windshield by any chance?

I did not. Gonna see if I can get a safe waft of that from the washer cap.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

fknlo posted:

I get a pretty strong soapy/detergent smell from the washer fluid in my GTI, but it smells somewhat pleasant. Definitely no rubbing alcohol smell to it.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Rubbing alcohol may not be the right comparison but it isn't far off.

Took the wheels from my TDI to Costco to get my winters put on them. I feel like I blew the guys mind telling him I need the thinnest wheel weights possible for clearance. He brought me the two types they have and I told them which one won't work so hopefully they won't gently caress it up.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Most windshield fluid has ammonia in it

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
I love Carplay and using Apple Maps with it. However, I hate the voice over. It keeps turning it on. My 16 Golf never did this, but my 17 GTI does. How annoying.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

God. Damnit.

1 loving millimeter too close to the curb while parking. Not a spot of curb rash on the wheels off my TDI of course.

Too bad they were getting new tires while I did that :argh:

Nuurd
Apr 21, 2005

gypsyshred posted:

I love Carplay and using Apple Maps with it. However, I hate the voice over. It keeps turning it on. My 16 Golf never did this, but my 17 GTI does. How annoying.

I'm not 100% but I think this may be a recent iOS bug. Just in the past two weeks I've seen differences in how easily my voiceover turns off and stays off.

2016 GTI btw

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

fknlo posted:

God. Damnit.

1 loving millimeter too close to the curb while parking. Not a spot of curb rash on the wheels off my TDI of course.

Too bad they were getting new tires while I did that :argh:

That looks light enough that some high grit sand paper and a solid polish might cover it up.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Going to find some way to bypass/lock open the butterfly valve that controls the sound symposer thingy in my FoST and will report back here about how badass/annoying it is. Conveniently the valve/solenoid case is right next to the battery so it's easy to get to and mess around with.

Goal is to have the Active Sound Symposer (A.S.S.) active all the time and not just during high RPMs/whenever the ECU decides to open it- easy to reverse if I hate it.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Monkey Fracas posted:

Going to find some way to bypass/lock open the butterfly valve that controls the sound symposer thingy in my FoST and will report back here about how badass/annoying it is. Conveniently the valve/solenoid case is right next to the battery so it's easy to get to and mess around with.

Goal is to have the Active Sound Symposer (A.S.S.) active all the time and not just during high RPMs/whenever the ECU decides to open it- easy to reverse if I hate it.

Not sure how it works on the Fost but on mine it's just a thing that vibrates the windshield. I unplugged it within the first week because it's annoying.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

veedubfreak posted:

That looks light enough that some high grit sand paper and a solid polish might cover it up.

I'll get it fixed when the wheels are off the car over winter. I really did just barely graze the curb. I don't even particularly like those wheels that much and there's a good chance I replace them with something else but it still pisses me off.

Anti Plum
Sep 15, 2007

Monkey Fracas posted:

I unplugged the valve one day while the car was off for a bit in an attempt to keep it locked closed. For some reason it was actually open (or maybe just partially open?) and it got old really fast. Maybe if the noise wasn't 'enhanced' I would have enjoyed it more but I ended up removing the whole works and tossing on a blanking plate. Anyway, that's probably the easiest way to force it open.

I did change the air filter for a high flow green filter and swapped the BPV for a BOV so I'm not against goofy noises. Just that symposer noise was too odd.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Before:

After:

Room to spare!

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

Dumb question, are you worried that the Tornado Red will fade? I've read on boards that it turns to pink, but I'm not sure if this is BS or not. I like the red but it is definitely not one of the more popular colors for GTIs and Rs.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
I wasnt planning on it but with MY GF driving the LX most days I ended up finding these takeoffs from a VW dealer for $300 and luckily finding a set of Pilot Alpin PA4s during the mad PNW winter tire scramble that happened a few weeks ago.

This thing is so good in the snow.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Radiohead71 posted:

Dumb question, are you worried that the Tornado Red will fade? I've read on boards that it turns to pink, but I'm not sure if this is BS or not. I like the red but it is definitely not one of the more popular colors for GTIs and Rs.

I've never heard that and it's not at all a worry. Do modern paints even really fade without complete neglect and abuse? I know that was a thing with single stage paints in the past. Weirdly this is my second red GTI even though it isn't my favorite color on them. Both of my cars after the Golf is gone will be red. I don't feel like I'm a red car guy but my stable says otherwise.

Traction control is constantly kicking on in straight line acceleration on the Blizzaks :lol: They're way quieter than the firestones on the Golf too.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
New owner of my GTI took ownership today.

Incoming S54 swap for my E46.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Most red paints fade earlier due to the higher iron content. If you own a red car long enough it will go bad. I'll take white if possible because even oxidized it is ok.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I imagine brake parts cleaner doesn't help that paint much, either.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

New owner of my GTI took ownership today.

Why did you sell your GTI again?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I wanted out of the car payment and I wanted something I could tinker with / track without worry.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
But I thought you already had a 348? :D

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Nidhg00670000 posted:

But I thought you already had a 348? :D

Nah, that's Kimbo. :) I have an E46 ZHP, an 03 Yamaha R6 track bike, and an 07 Aprilia Tuono 1000.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

fknlo posted:

I've never heard that and it's not at all a worry. Do modern paints even really fade without complete neglect and abuse? I know that was a thing with single stage paints in the past. Weirdly this is my second red GTI even though it isn't my favorite color on them. Both of my cars after the Golf is gone will be red. I don't feel like I'm a red car guy but my stable says otherwise.

Traction control is constantly kicking on in straight line acceleration on the Blizzaks :lol: They're way quieter than the firestones on the Golf too.

My 95 Jetta was Tornado red and when I sold it in 2005 it was just as red as the day my dad purchased it new. The only issue was that particular car being a poverty spec car (it even had manual windows) had no cover under the hood and the heat eventually cooked the clear in a few spots. Other than that, if you take care of it the paint holds up just fine. Most people think it's ok to park in the sun and never wash or wax their car then wonder why the paint fails. I was kind of hoping to get Tornado Red this time around, but the way I drive, being invisible in a black hatchback is a much better way to go. My bug on the other hand is going to get painted a bright red as possible in hopes no one runs me over.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

It was more of a problem with the older vw reds with no clear coat.
I had a 92 golf that would look great right after a wash/wax, but after about 2 weeks it would start turning pink again. The cloths I used to buff off the wax would be slightly pinkish when done.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

BlackMK4 posted:

Nah, that's Kimbo. :) I have an E46 ZHP, an 03 Yamaha R6 track bike, and an 07 Aprilia Tuono 1000.

Doh. :doh: something something 2pac

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
I've read about and seen a few early clear coat failures on some B6 era red Audis.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Uhhhh so OK Sound Symposer open all the time on the FoST was cute for a bit but ultimately sounds hosed-up and weird.

Think I need an open-end air filter or a catback or something

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I used to own a 1st gen Acura TSX and the forums were full of Milano Red owners complaining they ended up with Milano Pink. I think red can be a tough color to keep looking true.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
In October, my GTI killed its own Central electronic module while mid road trip. Last month, my front left fender/wheel got nailed by a suburban to the tune of $4600 billed to their insurance. Last night, after repainting a curb rashed wheel and putting it back on, right after I removed the jack stand for some idiotic reason, the car fell off the jack and squashed my hand between the tire and the fender, necessitating an ER trip, x-rays, etc.

I love this car but why does it hurt me so :smith:

PSA: Leave your stand in place until you are 100% done seating the wheel. That was dumb. Don't be dumb.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Ouch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
jesus gently caress hope you're okay