Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i read waterland by graham swift and sense of an ending by julian barnes back to back and it's pretty remarkable how much better waterland is, even when dealing with largely similar (though more complex) notions of history, trauma, memory, storytelling etc.

sense of an ending is just aggressively mediocre and timid, and wears it as a mark of pride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Did it talk about how all love has to be obsessive love or else it doesn't count, because that showed up in the 2 Barnes I read.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
there's definitely an obsessive love in the novel but it dangles limply along with everything else. the book definitely turned me off reading barnes in the future.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

The only thing I remember about the Sense of an Ending was that there was enough ambiguity in it and it was high profile enough when it was released that I thought "I bet there are a few elaborate nonsensical theories knocking about online".

Turns out I was correct.

Waterland loving owns though. I'm going to re-read that very soon.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
i just finished barnes' the history of the world in 10 1/2 chapters and although it ran out of steam by the last third, it was still a very good book overall, and it don't remember any obsessive love fixation even tho there was a whole essay about love

whatevz
Sep 22, 2013

I lack the most basic processes inherent in all living organisms: reproducing and dying.

whatevz fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Apr 25, 2022

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Lurk some more.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

pleasecallmechrist posted:

Jesus gently caress. Lurk for years. Get banned for a year and this thread has devolved. Where the gently caress is Mallamp in the past 50 pages? He didn't an hero did he?

Who are you

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Please

Call him Christ

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Jesus gently caress. Lurk for years. Get banned for a year and this thread has devolved. Where the gently caress is Mallamp in the past 50 pages? He didn't an hero did he?

What's your fav book?

whatevz
Sep 22, 2013

I lack the most basic processes inherent in all living organisms: reproducing and dying.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Foul Fowl posted:

definitely turned me off reading barnes in the future.

Probably wise, but Flaubert's Parrot has good bits in, even if you've never read Flaubert, even though what annoys you in Sense of an Ending will annoy you in that

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

The best book I read this year was Baudolino by Umberto Eco cos I was sad when he died, and I enjoyed it. The bit where they ram a stick up the arse of a dead Magi was especially good

Schmischmenjamin
Dec 15, 2013
my favorite book i read this year has to be Blood Meridian, with an honorable mention going to Gravity's Rainbow, which i bet will be my favorite book of whatever year i end up rereading it.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

As of right now, Twilight by William Gay. I am admittedly in love with the Southern Gothic. He has the sensibility of O'Connor without the moral concerns also Gay comes from a blue collar background so the sensibilities are refreshing. Have any of yall read him?

the only gay i've read was little sister death, earlier this year. i wanted to love it, as i also love southern gothic, but it comes off as a web of unconnected events climaxing in not much at all

i frankly didn't understand what was happening and wasn't moved to care enough to figure it out. i read it in january and the only clear memory I have of it now is when they see a half-dog spectre(?) in the garden(?)

i've been meaning to give him another shot, though

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Dec 31, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Le Morte D'Arthur is awesome:

quote:

CHAPTER XIV. How Balin met with that knight named Garlon at a feast, and there he slew him, to have his blood to heal therewith the son of his host.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Le Morte D'Urban's good too, it's about a salesman catholic priest trying to square God and Mammon.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
Last night I dreamt that I was reading vann and it turned out to be the Beverly Hills TV series inspired story that my brother wrote at fifteen

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

I'm partway through audiobook of 100 Years of Solitude. I find it tough to keep track listening but I like it a lot and would probably look to read it a couple months after I finish the audiobook.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

The best novels I read last year were Katawa Shoujou, Fate: Stay/Night, and Major/Minor.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

As of right now, Twilight by William Gay. I am admittedly in love with the Southern Gothic. He has the sensibility of O'Connor without the moral concerns also Gay comes from a blue collar background so the sensibilities are refreshing. Have any of yall read him?

Check out his short story "The Paperhanger" if you get a chance, it's real good.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Nanomashoes posted:

The best novels I read last year were Katawa Shoujou, Fate: Stay/Night, and Major/Minor.

One day they will invent the ability to physically harm people through the internet. I will remember this post

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Started reading The Melancholy of Resistance and its a bit exhausting. Everytime I try to put the book down I end up reading another 10 pages looking for a good place to stop only to just quit reading mid-sentence because what else can you do?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The used book shop got in some nice copies of basically everything Dostoyevsky and I intended to pick them up, but then I remembered an article someone linked in this thread about a pair of translators who did a poor job with the books and sure enough they had translated every one of them. So thank you for helping me avoid a bad translation of Dostoyevsky

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
If you mean Pevear and Volokhonsky, they are supposed to be the good ones.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Heath posted:

The used book shop got in some nice copies of basically everything Dostoyevsky and I intended to pick them up, but then I remembered an article someone linked in this thread about a pair of translators who did a poor job with the books and sure enough they had translated every one of them. So thank you for helping me avoid a bad translation of Dostoyevsky

You're stupid, sorry

whatevz
Sep 22, 2013

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
What's some good non-fiction/essay collections? I really liked Mythologies by Barthes & really hated/quit a third into A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again by David Foster Wallace

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
"really hated" is too strong, I just thought it was boring/bad.

Abalieno
Apr 3, 2011
This might not be the best place to ask, but has anyone any appreciation for The Shadow of the Wind by Zafon? I told myself I'd try to pick it up again when the series was completed, and it is now, but it exemplifies what I personally consider "bad writing".

It just comes off as extremely artificial. Reads like a fairy tale and every character is a caricature. I always got the idea it was a book that bridged some vague literary ambition with more mainstream appreciation, but that cannot even be plausible. Was it popular because of a trend of magic realism? Or maybe it is considered garbage for the masses?

The writing rings false to me, it's overflowing with sophomoric similes and nothing feels authentic. Take Bolaño, remove *everything* that makes it worthwhile, obtain Zafon.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Hat Thoughts posted:

What's some good non-fiction/essay collections? I really liked Mythologies by Barthes & really hated/quit a third into A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again by David Foster Wallace

Any specific interests? Literary non-fiction is pretty broad.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Hat Thoughts posted:

I've recently read and enjoyed Adorno's Minima Moralia, Borges's Selected Non-Fictions, and Berlioz's Mémoires. Although obviously very different, they're awfully fun to read for their sense of humor and strong voice. I'd recommend Berlioz in particular: he's a music composer, writer, and critic simultaneously who spends much of his career in letters warring on a dozen fronts against musicians, critics of music, concert arrangers, literary critics, authors, the French intellectual elite, the French public, the French government, the opponents of the French government... carrying it off with jaw-dropping style (some of the finest insults in any language) and all the while keeping his perch on the pinnacle of European art. Incredible person. If you want more bite-sized Berlioz, try Berlioz on Music, a compilation of his formal articles and editorials edited by Katherine Kobb. It's not too heavy on the footnotes but the ones that are there feel essential.

e: If you didn't specify nonfiction, I'd have recommended Berlioz's Evenings with the Orchestra over anything else, though. I just read it and it put me in an evangelical mood.

e2: oh poo poo, read The Unquiet Grave by Cyril Connolly. It's quick and great.

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jan 3, 2017

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Hat Thoughts posted:

Borges' Non fiction eg http://www.alamut.com/subj/artiface/language/johnWilkins.html0 He goes through a huge range of topics and the best essays will stay in your head for a long time, thinking about cool things like what the implications of Kafka's precursors are to you.

Otherwise like Emerson and Montaigne? Are you more interested in philosophy or criticism or what

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I'm reading Paradise Lost and it's the most beautiful and accomplished writing I've ever read and also Milton was horny as hell

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

CestMoi posted:

I'm reading Paradise Lost and it's the most beautiful and accomplished writing I've ever read and also Milton was horny as hell
the part with Sin is extremely horny and it owns

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

The imagery in that was legit disgusting

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

CestMoi posted:

It's good although the Satan parts are a lot better than the Adam and Eve parts.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

A human heart posted:

It's good although the Satan parts are a lot better than the Adam and Eve parts.

Remarkably normie opinion for you

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

He's been chastened since the sci fi thread owned him for being a hipster. His trolling days are over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

A human heart posted:

Absolutely, I love Milton as the narrator's really ambiguous attitude to Satan and God. God's completely arbitrary and aloof and weird and Satan's presented as this guy who fairly justifiably wants revenge, and in doing so is going to actually give people free will, which isn't even necessarily a bad thing. And then Milton calls him Fiend to make sure you don't accidentally get the wrong idea that he's on Satan's side.

In the first book one of the devils presents Satan's plan to attack humans as a way of getting to God and Satan then volunteers for it despite the fact he knows its insanely dangerous and literally cannot possibly work in the way he intends it. In the second book God presents the plan for the salvation of mankind and the Son volunteers, but it comes across like the entire brave sacrifice idea was just copied from Satan's and it's barely even a sacrifice anyway, cos they know they're going to win and God could just not do that if he wanted. The way it's written is so good.