Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

mandatory lesbian posted:

haunter is still my single fav sprite/model/art for all 7 gens

Same, it's a shame Gengar looks dumb in comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

haha, where are these from. and do they do prints

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Can someone point me in the right direction for some info?

I recently picked up B/W 2 and have really enjoyed getting back into pokemon but I'm still really new. I read here that I have no wonder trade and that sucks but is there some place I can go to read up on what cool stuff I can do with this cart? Bonus: I also have a second DS with Black so any trade shenanigans with that? I also have enough store credit after Xmas to get sun/moon so that's an option but what's the real difference between them? Thanks I'm old and appreciate the help

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Hammerite posted:

I try for ages to GTS a Pheromosa for a Celesteela, no-one bites. I theorise that people are more likely to be looking for cross-version trades so I try leaving it up there asking for a Kartana instead, with the aim in mind of parlaying that into a Celesteela. Still no one is interested. So then i put up this Goodra I have lying around (holding a dusk stone to sweeten the deal, since to me it's a crap trade) and it goes in about 5 minutes??? I can't get into the minds of anyone using GTS.

Mind you I gave up that Goodra slightly grudgingly, because it's CHS, but I think I'm the only one in the world who cares about the language. At least my new Celesteela is Spanish.

I have been able to trade either a Mareenie, Castform, or Goomy for anything I wanted, including Pheromosa, Celesteela, Lunala, and Cosmog. Anything except Type: Null or Silvally.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

mastajake posted:

I have been able to trade either a Mareenie, Castform, or Goomy for anything I wanted, including Pheromosa, Celesteela, Lunala, and Cosmog. Anything except Type: Null or Silvally.

Yeah, this is by far the best route. Got me two Type: Nulls and two Silvally so far, the only thing Castform hasn't successfully traded for is Magearna.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Can you even trade for Magearna? It was my understanding that mons in cherish balls can't be traded via GTS.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

PleasantDirge posted:

Can someone point me in the right direction for some info?

I recently picked up B/W 2 and have really enjoyed getting back into pokemon but I'm still really new. I read here that I have no wonder trade and that sucks but is there some place I can go to read up on what cool stuff I can do with this cart? Bonus: I also have a second DS with Black so any trade shenanigans with that? I also have enough store credit after Xmas to get sun/moon so that's an option but what's the real difference between them? Thanks I'm old and appreciate the help

You can't do anything with other players that requires internet (GTS and so on) because the servers are turned off. Or is that just the Gen 4 GTS? Regardless, hardly anyone is going to be using the gen 5 GTS if it is still running.

But you can still have fun with Join Avenue, White Forest/Black City, the PWT, medals, catching a bunch of legendaries... (Join Avenue will take some work to get levelled up without online connectivity or streetpasses, but you can get a certain number of people visiting every day just by making progress in post-game quests like the White Forest/Black City dungeon)

A Pretentious Owl
Mar 31, 2011

EB: it is true, it is a fact from an alien.
My GTS success route has been pretty solidified, and I think there's a logic to it.

-I almost always throw a held item onto any pokemon i put on the GTS to help catch people's eyes. Evolution items, high sale items, whatever.

-I trade anything breedable but rare/annoying to get (Castforms, Goomies and Mareanies pretty much) for any level Zygarde. These trades get snapped up quick, I suspect by people who are trying to complete their Dex and don't care about the cell dog the plot gives you once they have its entry. It's also the earliest legendary you get.

-I then trade that Zygarde for basically any mid-range but not competitively viable legendary (basically any legend that isn't a Tapu, Celesteela, Pheromosa, Necrozma too but I think that's just because it's a bitch to catch). I suspect the market here is people who care about battling enough to want a Zygarde Complete and don't care enough to hunt down the last few cells, so they're willing to give you that Type: Null or Cosmog they'll never use.

-Then with patience you can trade from here to most anything. People who want a spare null/cosmog for a living dex, whoever else.

-Cheat mode: Theif yourself a few metal coats from some magnemites, evolve some scythers (don't skip this, an already evolved scizor trades a million percent faster than a scyther holding a metal coat even though they're functionally identical, go figure), get literally anything for a Scizor. Spare Tapus, anything.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I would like to breed a Pokemon that knows Dragon Breath with Hakamo-o, so as to get a Jangmo-o with Dragon Breath. There are eleven Pokemon suitable for this: Altaria, the Bagon line, the Deino line, the Goomy line, and Drampa. Which one of these Pokemon would be easiest to obtain in Pokemon Sun?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Altaria is not in SuMo.
Bagon is available quite early on, but be sure to find the right spot. There are two places and I believe one has a 1% chance while the other is 10%.
Deino is the best chance.... if it's Tuesday (only available by Island Scan).
Goomy is a possible SOS battle encounter when it rains... a pain in the rear end.
Drampa is exclusive to Moon, just before the Elite Four but you can walk through that cave several times without ever encountering it.

Trading with goons is your best bet.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Dec 31, 2016

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Yeah, the only person I know with Pokemon Moon isn't very far into it, so Bagon it is.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Rangpur posted:

I know that, s'why I need literally anything male from the Grass-egg group with good IVs. If someone's got a Comfey like that it would be ideal, but I'll take what I can get since I don't have much to offer.

edit: to be clear, I already have Adamant Bounsweets with Play Rough. I need a male from the Grass egg group to patch in the rest of the IVs.
Just use a 6IV Ditto. Egg moves will still get passed on.

Source: I also bred a near-max IV Play Rough Bounsweet for my eventual Sun playthrough

A Pretentious Owl posted:

My GTS success route has been pretty solidified, and I think there's a logic to it.

-I almost always throw a held item onto any pokemon i put on the GTS to help catch people's eyes. Evolution items, high sale items, whatever.

-I trade anything breedable but rare/annoying to get (Castforms, Goomies and Mareanies pretty much) for any level Zygarde. These trades get snapped up quick, I suspect by people who are trying to complete their Dex and don't care about the cell dog the plot gives you once they have its entry. It's also the earliest legendary you get.

-I then trade that Zygarde for basically any mid-range but not competitively viable legendary (basically any legend that isn't a Tapu, Celesteela, Pheromosa, Necrozma too but I think that's just because it's a bitch to catch). I suspect the market here is people who care about battling enough to want a Zygarde Complete and don't care enough to hunt down the last few cells, so they're willing to give you that Type: Null or Cosmog they'll never use.

-Then with patience you can trade from here to most anything. People who want a spare null/cosmog for a living dex, whoever else.

-Cheat mode: Theif yourself a few metal coats from some magnemites, evolve some scythers (don't skip this, an already evolved scizor trades a million percent faster than a scyther holding a metal coat even though they're functionally identical, go figure), get literally anything for a Scizor. Spare Tapus, anything.
Castform -> Type: Null -> thing you want :colbert:

Mymla posted:

Lurantis is not cute, so I can't fathom why you'd even consider using it.
Lurantis is cool and good, but "physical Grass-type" is a crowded field in S/M and it's overshadowed by Kickfruit, Bird Ghost, and to a lesser extent Tree Ghost and Seaweed Ghost.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Man disable is loving worthless now that z moves exist. Unless you know exactly what pokemon has the crystal beforehand there's a good chance when you try to disable a move they will just use a z move and ignore it.

Offensive Z moves breaking so many established mechanics is not sitting well with me.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

OMG! Someone on GTS finally traded me a Buzzwole for my Pheromosa. I now have one of every Ultra Beast! MWAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
I still have to decide what my last 2 Kartana should be after the first two which were of course Adamant and Jolly.

Maybe I'll get myself a +Def -SpAtk one (kind of niche) and then pick one of Adamant and Jolly to have as a duplicate for trading purposes...

Internet Kraken posted:

Man disable is loving worthless now that z moves exist. Unless you know exactly what pokemon has the crystal beforehand there's a good chance when you try to disable a move they will just use a z move and ignore it.

Offensive Z moves breaking so many established mechanics is not sitting well with me.

Not a serious battler, but I didn't realise Disable was widely used. I guess it makes sense if you are facing a choice item user.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
It's not really widely used, but it has uses and I think it still does, though I exclusively play singles. It's not just against choice-locked things either - earlier today I saw a Froslass disable a Heracross (flame orb + guts) to lock out its Mega Horn which was the only move it had that could damage ghost types and it forced a switch, which gave the Frosslass a free Substitute turn. Basically it's good against things which probably only have one move that threaten you and you're able to survive that hit, ideally from behind a sub in the first place.

It's a niche move but definitely usable.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Hammerite posted:

Not a serious battler, but I didn't realise Disable was widely used. I guess it makes sense if you are facing a choice item user.

Its not widely used. I imagine it sees more use in singles than doubles, but disable was already very niche. I'm only using it on Salazzle because the much better fake out is unavailable.

Obviously locking up a choice item user with disable is great, but there are a good number of situations where a pokemon has only one move that threatens you. So disabling that one move can swing a matchup heavily in your favor. Except, if they have a z crystal, they get to use that move anyways. So disable is a lot less useful on any pokemon that is likely to be using a z crystal. Good example would be Araquanid. It hits like a truck with liquidation and completely garbage with everything else. Disable liquidation and you severely limit it. Except, a bunch of araquanids carry water z crystals so it will just hydro vortex.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009
mods please change my name to Masculine Acquaintance tia

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

U.T. Raptor posted:

Ah yes, those 6 IV Ditto which are so very common. (TBH I still need a Destiny Knot anyway so... But hey, at least I finally got a Razor Claw after chaining Hakamo-O for like 2 hours! :suicide:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

U.T. Raptor posted:

Not everyone has easy access to hacks.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
https://twitter.com/birdloaves/status/814936683581935616

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Put up a Castform for trade for a level 91+ Ditto. There you go, a legit 6IV Ditto! :v:

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

leftist heap posted:

Put up a Castform for trade for a level 91+ Ditto. There you go, a legit 6IV Ditto! :v:

I just got a shiny 6IV ditto through Wondertrade today! I.....wouldn't rely on that method though.

jarbv
Jul 10, 2004

hangedman1984 posted:

OMG! Someone on GTS finally traded me a Buzzwole for my Pheromosa. I now have one of every Ultra Beast! MWAHAHAHAHA!!!!

I remember those days.... Now here I am trading 20 different Umbreons and Espeons for Tapus and UBs just for the hell of it (stats I guess?)

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

leftist heap posted:

In fairness I just did this and got a shiny level 100 ditto, with Pokerus, in a beast ball, with all 0 ivs. I guess it'll be useful for some slow mons.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

I love my sons

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

apokaladle posted:

In fairness I just did this and got a shiny level 100 ditto, with Pokerus, in a beast ball, with all 0 ivs. I guess it'll be useful for some slow mons.

lmao. Cruel.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

I love my beautiful seal

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

leftist heap posted:

Wait, seriously? That's why I keep seeing requests for level 91+ Dittos? I thought it was just kids who didn't realize asking for max level was a poor idea.

I guess if I need one that badly I can always just burn two bottlecaps on a 4 IV Ditto, but it's all sort of academic until I scare up a Destiny Knot.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

Rangpur posted:

Wait, seriously? That's why I keep seeing requests for level 91+ Dittos? I thought it was just kids who didn't realize asking for max level was a poor idea.

I guess if I need one that badly I can always just burn two bottlecaps on a 4 IV Ditto, but it's all sort of academic until I scare up a Destiny Knot.

That doesn't change IVs, so unfortunately that wouldn't have the effect you envision. 4 IVs isn't nothing, though.

Side note, I ended up trading for 2 separate Destiny Knots yesterday and bred my first 6IV Pokémon this afternoon (Dratini!), you're welcome to my spare.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I can't wait for bank to return so that I can retrieve my definitely totally legitimate 6IV Dittos

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

They don't change IVs? That's what I was hearing from everyone else...

edit: they only max IVs for battle. OK, I see now. Better off saving them if I happen to get a Shiny with bad IVs or something.

apokaladle posted:

Side note, I ended up trading for 2 separate Destiny Knots yesterday and bred my first 6IV Pokémon this afternoon (Dratini!), you're welcome to my spare.
Wouldn't turn that down; very kind, thank you. I have an extra Razor Claw if you like. Apparently using Thief doesn't actually remove the item if you catch the 'mon afterwards? Anyway, my FC is 3926-8948-4855 with in-game name Rangpur.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

Rangpur posted:

They don't change IVs? That's what I was hearing from everyone else...

edit: they only max IVs for battle. OK, I see now. Better off saving them if I happen to get a Shiny with bad IVs or something.

Yeah the IV's are not touched. What hyper training does is change the stat to whatever number it would be if the pokemon had a 31 IV. I don't know why they would not just change the IV. Guessing they don't want people to get a 6IV Ditto that totally no one already has.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

Rangpur posted:

Wouldn't turn that down; very kind, thank you. I have an extra Razor Claw if you like. Apparently using Thief doesn't actually remove the item if you catch the 'mon afterwards? Anyway, my FC is 3926-8948-4855 with in-game name Rangpur.

That sounds lovely. My FC is 1006-3542-2465, IGN Kelsey. I'll pop online now, if you are.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7vgc2017-508524023

I feel like this guy calling anything annoying is rather hypocritical given he uses a loving scarfed Porygon Z.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Dr. Fetus posted:

Not everyone has easy access to hacks.
Anyone with access to the GTS can get a perfect Ditto that fell off the back of a truck :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

PSWII60 posted:

Yeah the IV's are not touched. What hyper training does is change the stat to whatever number it would be if the pokemon had a 31 IV. I don't know why they would not just change the IV. Guessing they don't want people to get a 6IV Ditto that totally no one already has.

Because doing so would change their personality, and Game Freak really takes the flavor stuff seriously.