Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elman
Oct 26, 2009

e: Wrong thread, I'm dumb, carry on.

Elman fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Dec 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
Also this is the EUIV thread, the CKII thread is thataway

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

I picked up this game (with Art of War, Common Sense, The Cossacks, Rights of Man, and Wealth of Nations) during the Steam sale and am currently in my first campaign, playing as Austria with an alliance web consisting of Aragon and a selection of middling power electors as well as a personal union over Hungary. My main goal is to Revoke the Privilegia and rule everything vicariously rather than directly. It's currently January 1, 1479 and I've just unlocked my second idea group, having completed Diplomatic ideas. What are good idea groups for me to achieve my goal? I think I'd like Influence and Aristocratic eventually: I'm thinking Influence third, but second is unclear and beyond is unknown. For reference, the starting Habsburg (2/5/1) is still alive, my heir is 2/5/5 but still has several years before he comes of age, and I am running a couple of half-price rank 3 advisors from my estates on the assumption that 5:3 is a pretty favorable rate of conversion between ducats and monarch points.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

I picked up this game (with Art of War, Common Sense, The Cossacks, Rights of Man, and Wealth of Nations) during the Steam sale and am currently in my first campaign, playing as Austria with an alliance web consisting of Aragon and a selection of middling power electors as well as a personal union over Hungary. My main goal is to Revoke the Privilegia and rule everything vicariously rather than directly. It's currently January 1, 1479 and I've just unlocked my second idea group, having completed Diplomatic ideas. What are good idea groups for me to achieve my goal? I think I'd like Influence and Aristocratic eventually: I'm thinking Influence third, but second is unclear and beyond is unknown. For reference, the starting Habsburg (2/5/1) is still alive, my heir is 2/5/5 but still has several years before he comes of age, and I am running a couple of half-price rank 3 advisors from my estates on the assumption that 5:3 is a pretty favorable rate of conversion between ducats and monarch points.

Dipomatic and Influence are both good picks as a diplomacy-focused Austria.

Don't take Aristocratic. Take Defensive, Quality, Offensive, or Quantity. Aristocratic is not very good.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

A lot of how you play HRE Austria depends on how the reformation folds out. As soon as the reformation begins you are unlikely to pass any reforms, and are likely to have imperial authority significantly lower until the end of the reformation. If the first centers of reformation are in one province minors you need to secure a CB against them as *soon* as possible, war them, and then force religion. When you force a religion in the peace the capital province religion flips, and if that happens to be a center of reformation it will be destroyed.

The worst case scenario for you is having the centers spawn in a non capital province of a big state in Germany. If this happens, and you can get them to spit out enough countries/provinces that they capital shift to the center of reformation you can then war them again and religion flip them to get rid of the center. Centers in Scandinavia and England are a little less of a worry, but they still might flip North German minors, who you can flip back via war. If the war score required to annex them is greater than 100% they can not be flipped. If the war score required to annex them is greater than 50% but less than 100% you will have to war them directly or war them as a co-belligerent. Very small countries with less than 50% warscore cost to annex can be religion flipped without co-belligerent, but that is not too common.

Of course you can wait for the 30 years war, but only the Protestants can trigger that, so you could be either waiting a long time or having to fight a gruelling war, and you want to be directing your gruelling warfare elsewhere. If you think it will be an "easy" reformation with only a few folks to smash having a smaller amount of better troops may be the better idea line. If you think the reformation will be a slogfest and require massive amounts of attrition and siege, quantity may be a better bet. For your second idea slot Administrative may be good, it reduces coring cost and time, and also reduces mercenary cost which can assist with manpower issues later. If you feel like you want to head east Religious gives you one of the best early game CBs and the missionary strength that may be needed to convert a center of reformation.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
Dumb question I can't find the answer to via Google: Do countries I'm in personal union with count towards the world conquest achievement?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

The Little Kielbasa posted:

Dumb question I can't find the answer to via Google: Do countries I'm in personal union with count towards the world conquest achievement?

Yes, and colonial nations. Any subjects.

Maybe even protectorates? I can't remember on that...

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
Protectorates count too, but the institutions mechanic makes them really unreliable since you will lose protectorates once they embrace enough institutions

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Since I love looking at other people's Eu4 maps, I will assume that you do, too.

I have one of the weirdest Europes I've seen yet in my Bharat game and it happened totally without my interference. Highlights are a tiny France, an Italy dominated by Ferrara and Siena and blobby Savoy. Trier has been Emperor for the last decades and after this screenshot me and Andalusia beat up Aragon so they only have a few provinces around the Pyrenees. OE also ate a chunk of the TO. I think it's also the first appearance of Livonia in a game of mine.

The Reformation didn't really happen either. London is however Hindu nowadays.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
that is one of the strangest and most interesting europes i've ever seen

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

You go, Savoy! Show them what's up

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Getting a Hunting Accident within a year of a Castile game.

:q:

e:... then your King dies heirless, getting a de Valois on the throne! gently caress. I can still get An Iberian Wedding, can't I?

Node fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Dec 31, 2016

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Node posted:

gently caress. I can still get An Iberian Wedding, can't I?

Yep! Have fun.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What's the best way to form persia without playing timurids?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Mans posted:

I dunno about the best, but the easiest off the bat is most likely Qara Qoyunlu.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
That WC vid was talking about developing in your subjects' provinces... do you need Rights of Man for that or something? Or else how do you do it? The buttons are greyed out for me, just says "You cannot Improve <whichever> in a province that you do not own" :shrug:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

it's september 1473 in aztec and i passed all religious reforms without breaking a truce once. that should be an achievement in itself

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

oddium posted:

it's september 1473 in aztec and i passed all religious reforms without breaking a truce once. that should be an achievement in itself

How??

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i took xicallanco and peten from the mayans which let me get flower wars on all four of them, so that helped. i also got super lucky in the last reform where i took four vassals at once (mixtec + their two vassals + their ally itza)

e: i think the longest truce waiting period i sat through was three years

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Mans posted:

Tabrestan isn't as hard as it looks. Save up as many ducats as possible and watch timurids closely for them running out of manpower either from multiple wars or endless rebels and you can easily 100% them in your first war

You want enough ducats that you can hire a +morale mil advisor and merc up past your forcelimits without going broke, take as many loans as you need because once you start the timurid death spiral things get a lot easier (until the ottomans show up)

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Does anyone know why one of my Polish armies would be named "Armia z Qatar"?

Also, I know people recommend humanist for Poland but I'm thinking of going religious to holy war my way through the Ottomans and Russia. Bad idea? I've converted everything I've got so far to Catholic bar Constantinople and I've embraced the counter reformation so I've got three missionaries so I'm assuming I can handle the religious unity penalties.

GEORGE W BUSHI fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Dec 31, 2016

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Pellisworth posted:

Don't take Aristocratic. Take Defensive, Quality, Offensive, or Quantity. Aristocratic is not very good.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

A lot of how you play HRE Austria depends on how the reformation folds out. As soon as the reformation begins you are unlikely to pass any reforms, and are likely to have imperial authority significantly lower until the end of the reformation. If the first centers of reformation are in one province minors you need to secure a CB against them as *soon* as possible, war them, and then force religion. When you force a religion in the peace the capital province religion flips, and if that happens to be a center of reformation it will be destroyed.

The worst case scenario for you is having the centers spawn in a non capital province of a big state in Germany. If this happens, and you can get them to spit out enough countries/provinces that they capital shift to the center of reformation you can then war them again and religion flip them to get rid of the center. Centers in Scandinavia and England are a little less of a worry, but they still might flip North German minors, who you can flip back via war. If the war score required to annex them is greater than 100% they can not be flipped. If the war score required to annex them is greater than 50% but less than 100% you will have to war them directly or war them as a co-belligerent. Very small countries with less than 50% warscore cost to annex can be religion flipped without co-belligerent, but that is not too common.

Of course you can wait for the 30 years war, but only the Protestants can trigger that, so you could be either waiting a long time or having to fight a gruelling war, and you want to be directing your gruelling warfare elsewhere. If you think it will be an "easy" reformation with only a few folks to smash having a smaller amount of better troops may be the better idea line. If you think the reformation will be a slogfest and require massive amounts of attrition and siege, quantity may be a better bet. For your second idea slot Administrative may be good, it reduces coring cost and time, and also reduces mercenary cost which can assist with manpower issues later. If you feel like you want to head east Religious gives you one of the best early game CBs and the missionary strength that may be needed to convert a center of reformation.

Thanks for the tips. Aristocratic seems like a good thematic fit for a vassal-oriented game, so it's a shame it's not up to snuff. With respect to fighting the reformation, what are good CBs to use/how can I set them up? Do I need to be worrying about getting adjacent to as many member states as possible assuming I don't wait for the leagues to fire? Elsewhere I've seen people suggest Religious as mandatory for HRE Austria, but the ideas themselves don't excite me that much. Maybe it's because I haven't really experienced the religion game yet. Do I need to be personally adjacent for Deus Vult, or can I get it through subjects' adjacency? That would fit my game plan a lot better, though to be fair I haven't figured out what else I want to do besides pass reforms.

Side note: Is there a better way of adding states to the HRE than taking their capitals, coring them, and returning them?

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005

Pellisworth posted:

and since you'll be playing a mostly continental game for a while, I would suggest striking quality off your list as well. Yes, the army buffs are fantastic, but the other half are all naval which is more useful for colonizers and traders (also quality has some amazing policies like superior supply lines but you need exploration for that). I would suggest going for quantity first since you'll need plenty of meat for the grinder while you play German police for the next 150 years..

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

Thanks for the tips. Aristocratic seems like a good thematic fit for a vassal-oriented game, so it's a shame it's not up to snuff. With respect to fighting the reformation, what are good CBs to use/how can I set them up? Do I need to be worrying about getting adjacent to as many member states as possible assuming I don't wait for the leagues to fire? Elsewhere I've seen people suggest Religious as mandatory for HRE Austria, but the ideas themselves don't excite me that much. Maybe it's because I haven't really experienced the religion game yet. Do I need to be personally adjacent for Deus Vult, or can I get it through subjects' adjacency? That would fit my game plan a lot better, though to be fair I haven't figured out what else I want to do besides pass reforms.

Side note: Is there a better way of adding states to the HRE than taking their capitals, coring them, and returning them?

You can free a few of states from the princes that already exist. Also, if you are ever in a position of power and blob up nicely, don't forget to warn every neighboring prince you can.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Baron Corbyn posted:

Also, I know people recommend humanist for Poland but I'm thinking of going religious to holy war my way through the Ottomans and Russia. Bad idea? I've converted everything I've got so far to Catholic bar Constantinople and I've embraced the counter reformation so I've got three missionaries so I'm assuming I can handle the religious unity penalties.

Getting the religious CB early is never a bad idea. If you're not having trouble converting things I would just take the first idea for the CB and get rid of the idea group once you git the imperialism CB. Keep in mind you can always build cathedrals in provinces with religious centres or a ton of development and those give you +3 missionary power.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

420 Gank Mid posted:

Tabrestan isn't as hard as it looks. Save up as many ducats as possible and watch timurids closely for them running out of manpower either from multiple wars or endless rebels and you can easily 100% them in your first war

You want enough ducats that you can hire a +morale mil advisor and merc up past your forcelimits without going broke, take as many loans as you need because once you start the timurid death spiral things get a lot easier (until the ottomans show up)

This is an off and on project of mine (Shahanshah -> This Is Persia) and the hard part isn't winning vs the Timurids, but winning fast enough that you can carve out Persian cores from them and QQ before Persia pops out fully formed from rebels and ready to poo poo on you.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

You do need to be adjacent to use Deus Vult, not your vassal. In the reformation good CBs are anything you can get. Warn people, guarantee rivals of protestants, enforce peace. It's dicey trying to keep a lid on the reformation. If you're a catholic heading to muslim territory then the rest of the religious ideas are useful. Like I mentioned a post ago sometimes the Deus Vult CB is all I take and then get rid of the idea group once I get the imperialism CB later in the game.

Yeah, there is no real easy way to add states to the HRE. Conquering your own territory to add is good, as well as defending the empire. I mean, it does depend on your goals a bit.

Eej posted:

This is an off and on project of mine and the hard part isn't winning vs the Timurids, but winning fast enough that you can carve out Persian cores from them and QQ before Persia pops out fully formed from rebels and ready to poo poo on you.

The two Persia achievement combo with Tabarestan is a fun game, but yeah, it got harder with the way rebel sentiment works when provinces defect.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Eej posted:

This is an off and on project of mine (Shahanshah -> This Is Persia) and the hard part isn't winning vs the Timurids, but winning fast enough that you can carve out Persian cores from them and QQ before Persia pops out fully formed from rebels and ready to poo poo on you.

Timurids seem to be massively more stable than they used to be, unless I'm unlucky. They do still have huge rebel problems but the rebels are all tribal rebels and they end up with multiple 20k rebel stacks just kind of bouncing around between unfortified provinces being a pain in the rear end, the AI doesn't try to fight them and they make warring vs the Timurids pretty frustrating!

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Baron Corbyn posted:

Religious is really good as Poland, since you're going to be almost surrounded by Muslims, orthodox and Protestants. And religious + Quantity, gives you a nice +10% morale policy.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Allyn posted:

That WC vid was talking about developing in your subjects' provinces... do you need Rights of Man for that or something? Or else how do you do it? The buttons are greyed out for me, just says "You cannot Improve <whichever> in a province that you do not own" :shrug:

You just click your subject's provinces like you would your own and then the development button, so you might need RoM I guess if you can't do it.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

RabidWeasel posted:

Timurids seem to be massively more stable than they used to be, unless I'm unlucky. They do still have huge rebel problems but the rebels are all tribal rebels and they end up with multiple 20k rebel stacks just kind of bouncing around between unfortified provinces being a pain in the rear end, the AI doesn't try to fight them and they make warring vs the Timurids pretty frustrating!

They're more stable in that AI timurids will now actually occasionally if not often survive a few hundred years if left unbothered but it still doesnt take much to send them careening into disaster.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Another Poland question, with +58% cavalry ability, I should be fielding a lot more horses in my armies than normal right? At 32 combat width, I've gone 20/12/20. Is that excessive, just right or should I be fielding even more?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Star posted:

You just click your subject's provinces like you would your own and then the development button, so you might need RoM I guess if you can't do it.

According to the wiki, this is correct; developing subjects' provinces is a feature that comes with Rights of Man

While browsing the patch notes I noticed this bugfix in 1.19:

quote:

Institutions no longer biased to spawn in low-index provinces.

lol

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Baron Corbyn posted:

Another Poland question, with +58% cavalry ability, I should be fielding a lot more horses in my armies than normal right? At 32 combat width, I've gone 20/12/20. Is that excessive, just right or should I be fielding even more?

I'm not sure that there's a clear right answer to that question. You should definitely field more cavalry than normal to take advantage of those bonuses, but if you start running into manpower issues (because you're probably fielding fewer mercenaries due to the higher maintenance of those additional cavalry) then you might need to scale back some so that you can have more mercs.

12 / 32 cavalry in the front line seems like a fine number to me if you can afford it, I don't think that I'd want the ratio to go any higher out of fear of slipping past that disastrous 50% tipping point

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

QuarkJets posted:

While browsing the patch notes I noticed this bugfix in 1.19:

lol

Does that mean that if there was multiple viable provinces for the institution to spawn in it chose the one with the lowest province ID? That would make for an easy game as Sweden.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
My assumption on reading something like that would be that it used to just roll for every eligible province on the monthly pulse to see if the institution appears - which biases things towards lower-indexed provinces, since they "win" ties (by virtue of being processed first) if multiple provinces would have rolled the institution at the same time.

So scandinavia would have been a lot "luckier" at spawning institutions, but my no means guaranteed to get them even if eligible.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

I play the Pope once or twice a patch and every time I always have some fun stuff.

This was adorable while it lasted :3:

AI Lithuania going for The Uncommonwealth achievement :v:

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

Some strategic tips for Austria:

Be aggressive with claiming thrones and enforcing personal unions, take Diplomatic ideas because you'll want it anyway but it lets you juggle Royal Marriages without eating stability hits. What you do is watch the Disputed Succession UI popup (upper left) and get marriages with nations with an old or infertile ruler without an heir. Then, if you get lucky and a Habsburg succeeds to the throne, hit Claim Throne and immediately declare war to enforce a PU. This doesn't generate much AE and can be done on a nation of any size, so you can gulp down huge amounts of territory. In the very early game you can often enforce a PU on Bohemia in the first couple of years doing this.

You don't actually need to play HRE Police that much until the Reformation hits. I suggest expanding outside the HRE and mostly ignoring internal fights, use Return Unlawful Territory to slow down blobbing of minor nations. Once the Reformation hits, yes, you'll want a border with a lot of the small states to help get CBs. Ideally, the Reformation centers will spawn in smaller nations you can force-convert and stamp out the heresy before it spreads much.

To help get borders with other nations, try and fight a war against Burgundy and sit on them at >75% warscore. The Burgundian Inheritance event can fire with a decent likelihood when they're losing a war, that will give you all of the HRE provinces in Burgundy (and subjects!) so you get a ton of rich provinces in the Low Countries.

I would probably skip Religious as Austria. You get a conversion bonus from your NIs, and the CB is great but only useful when you yourself border a heretic or heathen nation. So it'll be of limited use. I'd go for Admin (if expanding a lot) or Economic as an early Administrative idea pick.

Example of an Austria game I've been working on from this patch:

I enforced PUs on Bohemia, Bavaria, and then Hungary in the first 10-15 years, it doesn't generate much AE. One thing to remember about PUs is they do NOT take into account the size of other subjects when calculating Liberty Desire. If you have a bunch of strong vassals and marches, they take their combined army strength vs. yours for determining Liberty Desire, PUs don't. So you can have a bunch of strong PU partners and they'll be very loyal.

I fought Burgundy until the Inheritance fired and threw up a ton of forts there, I'm going to attack France next and weaken them a bit. I'm in the middle of my second war against the Ottomans, they're assholes but I'll have them pretty well strangled in the crib after this war, note the Mamluks and Anatolian minors are also beating the Ottos up.

Passed two reforms and should have the third and maybe even fourth before the Reformation hits.

BigRoman posted:

and since you'll be playing a mostly continental game for a while, I would suggest striking quality off your list as well. Yes, the army buffs are fantastic, but the other half are all naval which is more useful for colonizers and traders (also quality has some amazing policies like superior supply lines but you need exploration for that). I would suggest going for quantity first since you'll need plenty of meat for the grinder while you play German police for the next 150 years..

I kinda disagree, Austria wants a decent navy within the first 50-100 years. Expanding against Venice, the Ottomans, any of the Mediterranean powers will greatly benefit from or require a transport fleet and enough galleys to put up a fight (with help from allies). Then if you get the Burgundian Inheritance you'll probably want a fleet in the English Channel. Quantity is fine but Austria gets a boatload of free manpower and force limits from being Emperor, my own personal recommendation is to take Defensive and then Quality as your first military ideas, but then again I do exactly that for most nations.

Edit: some more info on the different types of subjects (Protectorates are kinda broken right now so I'm not including them)

Vassals pay you a base 10% of their income, which generally isn't that significant even with Vassal Income modifiers unless you have a ton of them (HRE with Revoke Privilegia). They're generally the weakest type of subject and imo you only want to keep vassals for a limited time then annex them. If you have a subject with good military NIs and defensive terrain provinces, consider making a March.

Marches get large military bonuses but don't pay you any income. You can make them quite large, but remember that vassals and marches compare their combined army strength to the overlord's (yours) when calculating Liberty Desire so there is an upper limit on how big your vassals + marches can be. Marches can't be annexed unless they are demoted to a vassal, so plan on keeping marches around for a good amount of time.

Personal Unions also don't pay you any income, don't get any specific bonuses, and can only be annexed after 50 years instead of 10. Their main benefit is they can be much larger than other types of subjects, you can peacefully inherit the throne of a large kingdom or military enforce a PU on any size nation at a low AE cost. Also, they do NOT consider the strength of other subjects when calculating Liberty Desire, so you can safely have many large PUs without risking rebellion.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Dec 31, 2016

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

QuarkJets posted:

I'm not sure that there's a clear right answer to that question. You should definitely field more cavalry than normal to take advantage of those bonuses, but if you start running into manpower issues (because you're probably fielding fewer mercenaries due to the higher maintenance of those additional cavalry) then you might need to scale back some so that you can have more mercs.

12 / 32 cavalry in the front line seems like a fine number to me if you can afford it, I don't think that I'd want the ratio to go any higher out of fear of slipping past that disastrous 50% tipping point

Poland is Eastern tech, so their limit is actually 60% cavalry.

I ran very heavy cav armies when I was going for Winged Hussars, but I don't have the screenshots on hand...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I rarely go with more than 4 cavalry (+flanking bonus) even if I have high cavalry ability for a number of reasons. One: cavalry is really expensive, so having too many can be a huge drain. Two: cavalry tends to have poor defensive stats, so they get shredded if they're not flanking. Three: the combat deployment algorithm prioritizes putting infantry on the frontline first. This means that if your number of infantry equals or exceeds the enemy's total frontline, then only four (+flanking bonus) of your cavalry will participate in battle, regardless of how many you bring.

• Locked thread