System Message

Secondary database maintenance is underway. Some features will be briefly unavailable.
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
I usually restart ET runs several times. So long as the target isn't already dead or you haven't completed another objective, you're fine to restart.

Please note that I'm terrible and gently caress up most of my ET attempts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Escalations have shown me the value of the fire extinguisher so it wouldn't surprise me if that's how this food critic is gonna die

And once I have the winter coat and there are no more Silent Assassin elusive target unlocks, I'm gonna start playing these with no restarts. Seems way more in keeping with the spirit of elusive targets, and all the other suit unlocks just require that you complete them so I won't need to agonize over SA rating.

MeatwadIsGod fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Dec 30, 2016

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Another ET where I ended up just knocking people out in a kitchen. Going for SA makes me play so boringly... Though I suppose at least the papers Twitter can write about how this mean food critic beat up an entire kitchen staff, only to slip and break his neck.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Do you still only have 48 hours on an ET after you start it? I'm going away for the weekend and won't be back until Monday night, I'm wondering if I have time to do an attempt today before I leave or if I should save it until I get back.

If I watched the video did I already start the timer? :ohdear:

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
This one's up for 7 days. I think they started extending the elusive target durations because people complained that 48 hours didn't give them enough time.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Another ET where I ended up just knocking people out in a kitchen.

Yeah, first I thought it'd be easy because of the obvious (in retrospect) red herring, but of course that magically didn't work for whatever reason and so a dozen or so innocent people got some brain damage instead.

e: Kinda curious how so many people pulled off SA in ~40 seconds. I'm assuming cause a distraction and inject him with lethal poison or drop a fire extinguisher behind him and explode from the ground level? That was my first instinct, but I thought it was a bit risky for a one-shot.

Mondian fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Dec 30, 2016

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

MeatwadIsGod posted:

This one's up for 7 days. I think they started extending the elusive target durations because people complained that 48 hours didn't give them enough time.

Ahh got it, thanks. For some reason I thought you could start it any time during that week, but if you start it once you only have 48 hours from that point. I'll get you on Monday, food critic!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Mondian posted:

that magically didn't work for whatever reason and so a dozen or so innocent people got some brain damage instead.

This is literally always my experience of playing Hitman without the ability to save. Every time.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

It still credited me as getting SA for this even though I didn't get SA.

Zaffy
Sep 15, 2003

That was frustrating, A waiter who shouldn't have been able to see me through the floor saw me when I stuck the critic with a needle.

Pulling the fire alarm will cause his guard to leave him alone. while everyone is panicking.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

I'm only three ETs into this game, but have all/most of them been this buggy generally? I can't get the food critic to get poisoned by the cake he clearly tastes no matter what, and injecting him when he's alone does nothing. Also he won't consistently touch the cake nor will pushing the fire alarm always leave him by himself either. I even tried to knock out everyone in the kitchen which got me hosed when the critic's bodyguard saw a knocked out body through a wall. Needless to say I am fairly frustrated atm.

E: yeeeah, failed this one. Tried lethal poison injection on him when nobody was looking, but somehow I was still spotted through the wall and gunned down. Well, at least I found out lethal injection worked, even if lethal poison on food didn't nor did enemic anything. That wasn't a great way to spend an hour or so.

smuh fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Dec 30, 2016

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

smuh posted:

I'm only three ETs into this game, but have all/most of them been this buggy generally? I can't get the food critic to get poisoned by the cake he clearly tastes no matter what, and injecting him when he's alone does nothing. Also he won't consistently touch the cake nor will pushing the fire alarm always leave him by himself either. I even tried to knock out everyone in the kitchen which got me hosed when the critic's bodyguard saw a knocked out body through a wall. Needless to say I am fairly frustrated atm

Being seen through walls is a bug that goes beyond ETs, though obviously it's more frustrating in a one shot situation, and he doesn't swallow the food he tastes.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
Does anybody know if the explosive satchel unlock from hokkaido is considered by npcs as a "weapon" that they will pick up or think is suspicious? The only time I used it was for the African dictator ET where I put it in the booth in their cafe and blew it up with a breaching charge. I can't remember if they saw it and freaked or if they were just seeing the breaching charge.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

In other news, HITMAN topped Giant Bomb's Game of the Year list. I haven't listened to the deliberations yet but I imagine it was a pretty tough fight against DOOM.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

Veotax posted:

In other news, HITMAN topped Giant Bomb's Game of the Year list. I haven't listened to the deliberations yet but I imagine it was a pretty tough fight against DOOM.

I don't understand the hype behind doom. It's a FPS game that could have been released any time within the past decade and the mechanics and game play are pretty weak compared to almost any other major title this year.

Is it just blind nostalgia or am I missing something by not owning the game and watching friends play it, because it looks pretty boring. Especially when compared to a complex sandbox game like hitman.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it's loving fun

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Oh wow the critic leaves his seat? I thought he stayed there forever. I did the fire alarm thing too, worked perfectly the first time.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

I don't understand the hype behind doom. It's a FPS game that could have been released any time within the past decade and the mechanics and game play are pretty weak compared to almost any other major title this year.

Is it just blind nostalgia or am I missing something by not owning the game and watching friends play it, because it looks pretty boring. Especially when compared to a complex sandbox game like hitman.

It's really good and nobody had any expectations for it. Id had spent years making a Call of Duty clone with demons before cancelling it and restarting, then all the footage of it looked like poo poo, the multiplayer beta was garbage and no review copies were sent out.

Everyone thought it was going to be crap then it turned out to be one of the best singleplayer campaigns in years. The multi was still poo poo though.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Yeah like, to me Hitman is the more interesting game, but Doom seems loving rad as hell and I can appreciate that too.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

There haven't been many or even any games quite like Doom in the past ten years. It brings back run and gun style, and also sorely missed classic level design elements (secrets, not just walking in a straight line, levels complex enough that it includes a map, jumping around, etc). A major breath of fresh air compared to Call of Duty campaigns, or even Halo campaigns, and stuff like FarCry doesn't even attempt this sort of level design. If it's not your thing, it's not your thing, but it's really something special for fans of that sort of thing, who have been waiting years and years for something like DOOM.

It's not blind nostalgia, it's really well done, great combat, great level design, great gameplay flow, great everything really, as far as the SP goes. And SnapMap is a fairly fun editor to play with.

On GOTY awards, for me Final Fantasy XV is the one majorly missing, it's easily in my top 2 or 3 this year.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

Does anybody know if the explosive satchel unlock from hokkaido is considered by npcs as a "weapon" that they will pick up or think is suspicious? The only time I used it was for the African dictator ET where I put it in the booth in their cafe and blew it up with a breaching charge. I can't remember if they saw it and freaked or if they were just seeing the breaching charge.

The NPCs ignore the Explosive Compound, its the breaching charge they freaked out over.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Sinteres posted:

Being seen through walls is a bug that goes beyond ETs, though obviously it's more frustrating in a one shot situation, and he doesn't swallow the food he tastes.
I thought he just didn't eat the food he was critiquing, which would make the small taste of a random cake (even disliked by the chef) a perfectly ironic kill. Anyways, him not swallowing the food still doesn't excuse the enemic syringe not working at all :argh:

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

Mondian posted:

The NPCs ignore the Explosive Compound, its the breaching charge they freaked out over.

Cool, thanks! I'm going to try to incorporate it into this ET somehow. Don't really care about SA so it should be fun to find a place to set it and maybe snipe from afar.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Well, that was an easy SASO kill for the food critic! My first ET that actually went SA because I did not gently caress up after killing the target, lol.

Started in the suite, ran downstairs to the restaurant, threw a rubber duck off the balcony and blew it up, sending everyone downstairs but the critic, then threw a coin to make his back turned to me and stabbed him with the poison needle, and walked out.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

smuh posted:

doesn't excuse the enemic syringe not working at all :argh:

Might have just bugged out, some dude on reddit said he stuck him with the emetic, but he just barfed in some trash can by the bar so it doesn't really help.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Mondian posted:

Might have just bugged out, some dude on reddit said he stuck him with the emetic, but he just barfed in some trash can by the bar so it doesn't really help.
I haven't really noticed any bugs in the game otherwise (finished the final level yesterday, have 20 mastery in most maps) but man was this ET just a mess for me. Oh well, good to know the enemic wouldn't have helped anyways.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

So Elusive Targets are a one-and-done thing entirely? Sounds scary, especially when I haven't actually left Paris or done any escalations or contracts at all yet.

Kolnikov
Mar 25, 2016

the experience is consummated
Pillbug
Failed. Had big plans for the food critic involving a fire extinguisher and various distractions, but ended up pulling the fire alarm and sticking him with a needle - except I got spotted and gunned down. Not sure if I was spotted through a wall or if it was natural incompetence.

Feh.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

So Elusive Targets are a one-and-done thing entirely? Sounds scary, especially when I haven't actually left Paris or done any escalations or contracts at all yet.

Select the mission and press start, and the specific rules will pop up. It's a one-shot, but only from the moment you kill your target, basically. You can restart in the 'planning' phase. Also, the ET is not marked in your hitman vision/map, so you need to find him first and track him 'manually'.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I didn't realize until after the fact how risky this method actually was. Whatever, I am going to play it off as being extremely brave. SASO ET kill in around 3 minutes.

https://youtu.be/AU7w6QIDeLw

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!
A completely unearned SA on the ET in under two minutes

Started as security, dropped my gun in front of his bodyguard to make him leave with it, got behind the target and threw a coin in front of him to make him stand up, jabbed him with the lethal syringe, ran the gently caress out the front door to the speedboat exit

It feels absolutely nothing about that plan should have worked out in favor of actually getting away in one piece, let alone getting SA - someone should have seen me stick him, one of the other guards nearby should have investigated the coin, and either a guard or the waiter should have seen the dead body in the time it took me to evacuate - but I'm not complaining

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

gtrmp posted:

Started as security, dropped my gun in front of his bodyguard to make him leave with it, got behind the target and threw a coin in front of him to make him stand up, jabbed him with the lethal syringe, ran the gently caress out the front door to the speedboat exit

It feels absolutely nothing about that plan should have worked out in favor of actually getting away in one piece, let alone getting SA - someone should have seen me stick him, one of the other guards nearby should have investigated the coin, and either a guard or the waiter should have seen the dead body in the time it took me to evacuate - but I'm not complaining

drat I thought something very similar but I discarded that plan because there is a fixed security guard in the ground floor looking from the opposite side, I thought he would see the moment of injection, making it not silent.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I feel I was robbed on this one.

I set off the fire alarm to get rid of the guards and jabbed him with the syringe as soon as the coast was clear but a waiter on the other end of the restaurant saw me through a wall and the guards started shooting before I could make it to an exit.

Should have prepped the Tuktuk rather than running for the boat

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So hey, how much content is that 6.99 "starter pack" going to net me? I've been um'ing and ah'ing over getting this game - I'm one of those weird mutants who loved Absolution, and "only" enjoyed Blood Money - so I don't think I want to plop down thirty quid for the full thing. Judging by the response to the game Paris is absolutely loving huge, and more than enough to get stuck into for a few weeks?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

poptart_fairy posted:

So hey, how much content is that 6.99 "starter pack" going to net me? I've been um'ing and ah'ing over getting this game - I'm one of those weird mutants who loved Absolution, and "only" enjoyed Blood Money - so I don't think I want to plop down thirty quid for the full thing. Judging by the response to the game Paris is absolutely loving huge, and more than enough to get stuck into for a few weeks?

Two tutorial levels + Paris.

That's enough for ~13 hours of play, and many more if you do all the escalation missions, as there are a lot of Paris.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

In Blood Money, does anyone know if it's possible to get the guy in the booth alone?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

gtrmp posted:

Poisoned targets' bodies will not hamper your SA score when found; they count as semi-accidents for that part of the ranking. If you can jab someone unseen it doesn't matter if you leave the body in the center of the map or hide it.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
SA'd the ET. Messy, but whatever works. I cleared out the kitchen, expertly stashed bodies in the adjacent office (to avoid suspicion by the kitchen staffer that passes through it 8 minutes in; I had him, too), removed the waiter accompanying the target, emetic'd the bodyguard, poison'd the target, subdued the bodyguard just to be safe, headed for the boat.

Turin Turambar posted:

Two tutorial levels + Paris.

That's enough for ~13 hours of play, and many more if you do all the escalation missions, as there are a lot of Paris.

I had around 40 hours before episode 2 came out, and I'm a salty old pro. If you're new to the series, you'll find that there is plenty of stuff to do in just the first maps alone.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
SA in 1:14 by starting as a waiter, grabbing a fire extinguisher and dropping it with a breach charge behind his chair. Can't wait for that winter coat so I can be more cavalier about these elusive targets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Thanks guys. Six quid isn't anything to get sniffly about I guess. :shobon: