Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Everyone is a marketer. For themselves at least. Making friends? You market yourself to them as a friend they might like.
You can't escape the context of selling yourself!

Also the only reason you had that one hunger proc is because you didn't open the chest in the first place. You brought it upon yourself! :colbert:

Edit: Update on the last page.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Dec 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

You know how you can get a better chance of the shambler showing up? Dark runs. You should do dark runs, highwang.

Do it. Doooooooiiiiiiit.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
It's completely reasonable to get Aksys Games and Arc System Works confused, since not only do they have similar names, but they also work together a lot. I frequently have to look up which is which.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I was the one that mentioned spending crests on the Nomad Wagon. I don't really think that's a waste of resources since what usually prevents me from upgrading other services is not the crests but whatever other heirloom type that that upgrade needs. And since the only other service that used only crests to upgrade is the survival tent I see no reason not to upgrade the Nomad Wagon.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Meanwhile, I still would rather spend crests on the Survival Tent because holy cow camping skills are expensive.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Highwang posted:

Okay Let's take a look at the checklist:

-Not Sick
-No family events
-Holidays are over

Life has finally stabilized. Time to get back on schedule:

New Update - Episode 38: Looking toward the future

Today we hella date the video by looking at the future of Darkest Dungeon with the up and coming Crimson Court DLC. Also we're a bit more crazier than normal due to me finally recovering from a cold and also being super excited to finally get this going.
It's like you're asking for those food prompts to come up, Highwang. Done with the dungeon objective? Out of food? The only curios you haven't interacted with yet are clear across the floor? You could just end the mission, but nope!

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Watching this video by the end of it I did say to myself "Mum, dad, stop arguing"

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

On the topic of Highwang wanting mosquito people for "maximum stupid"...I'm guessing you haven't read The Scar? Because that featured some mosquito people in it (called "Anophelii", after a mosquito genus) who are under strict quarantine precisely because they'd been so dangerous in the past.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

silentsnack posted:

Y'know... if you have "no good accessories" you can leave the slot empty and have one more potential space for an item/stack, yes? And you could have been doing this all along?

I do this all the time. There's really no reason not to leave a spot free if you don't have anything good, because it goes from "mediocre thing" to "free inventory slot", which is an enormous boon.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Chitlin you shut your mouth, the Fly is awesome.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I didn't buy Tharsis because you were selling it, I bought it because I said "that looks like something I want to play myself." It had been on my radar, fallen off of it, and then you played it in the middle of a Steam sale where it was 3 bucks.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

:confused: you don't become a marketer just because people end up buying things due to something you do. I get why it may feel like that, but the distinction is still important. You're not a salesman all of a sudden.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Also, if you're not deceiving people to sell them things there's nothing wrong with sharing your interests with an audience.

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Yeah, Wang. It's just like my old pal Sonic says: "There is no such thing as ethical consumption under capitalism."

That's another way of saying "Chill out!" :D

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
New Update - Episode 39: Nerd-cromancer

Today we beat up the Necromancer. Again. Discussions though, we mainly talk about some more issues with EA and how Darkest Dungeon could do with balancing some of the initial content to synergize with later content like The Cove.

Reinbach
Jan 28, 2009
So I bought this game because of your LP. And the first encounter I had in the game after the tutorial was the collector. Is this a thing that is hard coded? Because it seems like terrible misfortune.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
no your terrible luck isnt hardcoded into the game

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Reinbach posted:

So I bought this game because of your LP. And the first encounter I had in the game after the tutorial was the collector. Is this a thing that is hard coded? Because it seems like terrible misfortune.

The collector is indeed hard-coded to appear once you have 65% of your inventory filled. The first dungeon after the tutorial is a set piece, but Collector/Shambler can still appear if you meet the circumstances.

Unfortunate. Wouldn't fault you for starting a new game.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

... does the next video have friends visiting?

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Where's the comment, you said there would be a comment, Highwang.

Attestant fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jan 2, 2017

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Attestant posted:

Where's the comment, you said there would be a commeny, Highwang.

Decided against it after the person requested in-stream for me to stop bringing it up. Should've edited out that part as well honestly.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Highwang posted:

Decided against it after the person requested in-stream for me to stop bringing it up. Should've edited out that part as well honestly.

Ok, that makes sense.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Are you commentating all your runs, Highwang? Because you do always seem just on the cusp of being broke.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

You absolutely can alt+f4 to save scum character deaths. I've done that a few times for the Dismas/Reynauld trophy.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Jeez Chitlin, passive aggressive much? "Most of the videos I send people are edited" I saw the hitman vidoes chitlin!!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

So that charge move the spearmen do is only possible in row 4?

White Coke
May 29, 2015
The Necromancer should be able to buff and heal its summons and have a chance to summon two at a time.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Scaramouche posted:

Jeez Chitlin, passive aggressive much? "Most of the videos I send people are edited" I saw the hitman vidoes chitlin!!

Nothing passive about it really! :v:

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

The Houndmaster: He has the Tools, he has the Talent!

I really wish more classes had prot removal...

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

White Coke posted:

The Necromancer should be able to buff and heal its summons and have a chance to summon two at a time.

Yeah no. It is bad enough at later difficulties he has a chance to summon a bone general but you want to give him an ability to buff his summons as well?

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Hunt11 posted:

Yeah no. It is bad enough at later difficulties he has a chance to summon a bone general but you want to give him an ability to buff his summons as well?

If it makes him more challenging. I didn't say anything about how powerful the buffs would be, just that it's a natural direction of growth for his fight.

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011
Maybe the Necromancer could just start with a summon already on the field in rank 1, so he starts in rank 2 and can't immediately be hit by rank 1 targetting skills. That minion would also help eat up some of the player's actions at the start of the battle - as a result the Necromancer gets more time to get more summons, add stress or bleed effects, etc.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
I'm really surprised you didn't take that Vestal off the wagon in the video before this one

You know, to replace the one you lost.

I can't speak for every one but I watch LPs and streams to just see if the game is good and something I want to play for myself. I wouldn't be surprised if others do so as well.

By playing and showing off a game you are providing valuable entertainment but you are also marketing the game by displaying its game play and such. People buying a game because you're streaming it or LPing it are probably doing so because they like what they are seeing. Some might be doing it because of your advocacy of it because they favor or share your opinions.

I've stopped pre-ordering games or buying games at release largely in response to games kind of "losing quality" on a whole lately. And I still don't really trust most reviewers or critics because of the kind of influence the industry has on them. (Ethics in Video Game Journalism!)

So watching Streams or LPs and seeing the game for myself is pretty much the only way for me to protect myself against bad purchases that I'll regret. (And "supporting" or "encouraging" more bad games.)

Though there are a handful of critics I'll listen to because they largely share my same opinions. (Example: I bought the new Doom because Hbomberguy recommended it. Did not regret it.)

But in showing off these games you are not "selling out" or being a "filthy marketer." So long as you are LPing/Streaming the games YOU LIKE and supporting the companies you believe deserve more money you are actually helping the industry. You are doing a public good by supporting and encouraging the creation of more "good" games and making good games profitable.

Once you start LPing/Streaming or talking about games because you've been PAID TO? Then it's a problem.

I bought this game because of this LP because I liked what I saw.

To share a story I kept getting multiple Hellions in the carriage and not much else so I said, "gently caress it! You girls wanna go so bad? Let's do this!" And did an all Hellion run.

(I named them all after Awesome Women: Grace Jones, Sigourney Weaver, Michelle Rodriguez and Linda Hamilton.)

Grace Jones and Linda Hamilton crit everything to death while Michelle Rodriguez and Sigourney Weaver screamed at everything. It was beautiful.

Now I love that team so much I sometimes just send the Strong Female Characters out alone. I know it's terrible survival. I am not a Highwang. But so far they've managed well.

TL;DR You're doing a good thing Highwang.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

pretty sure killing a bunch of dudes in their sleep is not Lawful Evil.

Neutral Evil, on the other hand...

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Veloxyll posted:

pretty sure killing a bunch of dudes in their sleep is not Lawful Evil.

Neutral Evil, on the other hand...

I mean, he paid for the services. At least I think he did?

Jenner posted:

Wall of Positivity

I appreciate the support. Life circumstances have put me in a poor mindset lately.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

Highwang posted:

I appreciate the support. Life circumstances have put me in a poor mindset lately.

I cannot emphasize this enough. And I am not being hyperbolic. You are saving video games. People like you who take the plunge and buy the game and then LP or Stream the game for people like me who don't want to take the risk are heroes of the industry.

You are keeping good games alive.

Thank you for introducing me to this game.

I am now doing a gimmick "Girls Only" run of this game and Michelle Obama just crit a man so hard he disappeared. :iia:

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Highwang posted:

I mean, he paid for the services. At least I think he did?

Pragmatic Evil.

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

Jenner posted:

I cannot emphasize this enough. And I am not being hyperbolic. You are saving video games. People like you who take the plunge and buy the game and then LP or Stream the game for people like me who don't want to take the risk are heroes of the industry.

You are keeping good games alive.

Thank you for introducing me to this game.

I am now doing a gimmick "Girls Only" run of this game and Michelle Obama just crit a man so hard he disappeared. :iia:

Is she a Arbalest User or whatever they're called? Because those ladies can dish it out.

For what it's worth, while I haven't given it Jenner's level of introspection, I basically agree with that stance: as long as you're authentic in your enthusiasm, there's no foul in sharing something. The ethical quandries are mostly solved by disclosing anything financial, and the fact that you're aware that that is a thing means you probably know enough to dodge any actual problems.

Reinbach
Jan 28, 2009
Is there anyway to lock in negative quirks? I have an amazing hellion with penalties to ranged damage and ranged crit rate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Okay. Highwang is not only the luckiest person ever. But I am the most unlucky person ever.

I had to give up on my Girls Only run because the stage coach doesn't bring enough women.

Highwang is further than me but he's only lost two characters.

Meanwhile, I've beaten the Prophet, the Necromancer and the Swine King. Oh and the Shambler... twice. But I've lost almost a dozen characters in the process. I'm definitely taking more risks (taking on the Shambler three times) than Highwang but that still doesn't account for everything.

My characters are outfitted roughly the same and have roughly the same skills. (Though I haven't lucked into the kinds of trinkets Highwang has. I only just got Junia's head.)

But Highwang's characters don't miss as often as mine do. His debuffs seem to proc more and His Occultists don't heal for 0 as much.

My stuns not sticking and constant missing is leading me to not be able to control or kill off the damage dealers and stress dealers fast enough to keep my stress manageable. Leading to my characters stressing out and almost always getting afflictions which just snowball my whole team. Also heart attacks.

And the healing for 0 endlessly just gets them deathblowed forever.

If Highwang is the filthy lucker. I am the pitiful anti-lucker.

Example:
I missed five times in a row and healed for 0 twice whIle fighting some fish men. I know you're gonna say these unlucky moments just stand out but I swear to you they happen all the time.

Also my two risky Shambler kills got me the bottle and the idol. Pretty much the two worst items.

I'm still having fun with this game but geeze.

Highwang the reason other people just make expendable teams of 0s and 1s and farm the dungeons is because it's necessary. You can waltz through the game on luck.

Jenner fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jan 5, 2017

• Locked thread