Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Actuarial Fables posted:

"Reddit users have speculated as to what the couple are doing and why.

‘Alcohol may have been a factor,’ writes Fruitloop_Dingus."

When the only other information out there regarding a subject is "speculation on the internet", maybe stick to just the original source.

Fruitloop_Dingus best name Ive seen in a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's the rare Reddit username that's both funny and G-rated.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
They’re Froot Loops, though.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Why do people insist on believing the breaker is disabled? No one is going to burn. Worst case scenario is an appliance isn't able to be unplugged for some reason, and someone gets electrocuted working on it.

flosofl posted:

Why does everyone seem to think this makes the breaker stop working? It doesn't. It stops you from manually tripping it or turning it back on if it does trip.

e: :argh: ^fb!
I'm well aware of this you two comedy champions. I know the house won't burn down, it's a joke.

I've worked as an electrician and plumber for many years. There are a number of reasons to lock a breaker (life support or sensitive equipment for one). This is not the way you do it.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

HairyManling posted:

I'm well aware of this you two comedy champions. I know the house won't burn down, it's a joke.

I've worked as an electrician and plumber for many years. There are a number of reasons to lock a breaker (life support or sensitive equipment for one). This is not the way you do it.

You're the 74th person to make that "joke."

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
Good because it becomes unfunny after the 75th.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Three-Phase posted:

Might be a neutral but that's still completely wrong for several different reasons.

Here's the proper way to do a splice:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhIuiIWtF5c (Just a splicing video, 15kV cable.)

We had issues at work because some of the manufacturers for these kits are like "YOU MUST USE A PROPANE TORCH TO SHRINK THE OUTER JACKET!" The problem is that using a torch in a lot of businesses requires what's called a "hot work permit". We used electric heat guns but they took much longer to shrink down the outer jackets. Haven't had any issues.

Tyco also recommends using the Raychen FH2616 A-1 when sculpting ice Michelangelo's Davids pissing vodka at your 2nd wife's 40th birthday party in Sardinia.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Three-Phase posted:

My car's GPS/SATNAV allows you to draw a box and label that as a "never navigate though area". I only have one set up and it's a small box covering Linndale. Specifically the underpass where they have tons of cameras. Linndale can go STRAIGHT TO HELL.

Breaker chat: Little molded-case breakers like that have a trip-free feature where they will open no matter then handle's position.

The big medium-voltage switchgear breakers are fun (say 4160 to 35000 volts at up to around 2000 amps). Those breakers have a close (turn on) and a trip (turn off) solenoid. The problem is that if you lose trip circuit power you can get into a situation where you cannot trip the breaker off if there's a fault somewhere.

There are some new designs with a capacitor to store power in the trip circuit and if control power is lost that causes the breaker to automatically trip open. But the problem is there are cases where a trip could be way more problematic than a breaker being stuck on.

Sounds like a job for BATTLE SHORT

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Screw Tyco we're using the heat gun not a drat propane torch. It shrank down the outer jackets just fine and if people are being picky about it we'll just put a couple of extra laps of red Super 33+ over it. Screw it. I'm on break now.

It took long enough already to circumcise off the shield, insulator, and semiconductor layers and get that all fixed up.

shame on an IGA posted:

Sounds like a job for BATTLE SHORT

Oh hell yeah. Now that's a neat topic in and of itself.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Dec 30, 2016

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

StarMinstrel posted:

https://www.google.ca/amp/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.3714504

This happened close to me. Basically The truck driver tried to swerve to avoid a stopped vehicle, and crashed in the other truck. The second truck driver tried to get him out but the doors where too damaged to be openable. The oil truck driver was passed out inside. I'm not sure if it's visible in that shot, but through a zoomed shot from another angle, you could see the guy become extremely mad at his inability to open the doors.

Yeah, in the posted video, you can see after he fails to pry open the passenger door, he hits one of the tires on his trailer in frustration/anger when he realizes the fire's getting too large too quickly for him to get into the tanker's cab. Poor bastard probably wakes up with nightmares about it regularly.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

HairyManling posted:

Good because it becomes unfunny after the 75th.

You ever notice how white people keep breakers open like this? "Junior, please hand me that piece of copper wiring."

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
http://www.nytimes.com/books/first/w/welsome-plutonium.html

This was posted in the Airpower thread. No one dies, but some one ends up pissing plutonium for the next thirty years.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Thomamelas posted:

This was posted in the Airpower thread. No one dies, but some one ends up pissing plutonium for the next thirty years.

Radioactive piss, even? Jesus, I feel bad for any girls he slept with. Getting a wad of plutonium experiment isn't as fun as Doom modders have lead me to believe.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Radioactive piss, even? Jesus, I feel bad for any girls he slept with. Getting a wad of plutonium experiment isn't as fun as Doom modders have lead me to believe.
Wasn't burning semen a symptom of Gulf War Syndrome?

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

story here,

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/dump-truck-highway-400-1.3916032

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Haha wad

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

RandomPauI posted:

You ever notice how white people keep breakers open like this? "Junior, please hand me that piece of copper wiring."

I ran into the opposite of this on discovering the previous owner of my truck replaced the fusible link for the glow plugs with one strand from a piece of cat5.

E: That pos dump truck shouldn't have been on the road if it's that easy to tear the bed off. Bridge did us all a favor.

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Dec 30, 2016

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Azhais posted:

I've got a Federal Pacific box, I don't need to worry about wiring my fuses open, they'll never break anyway :v:

same :cheers:

replacement is so expensive :ohdear:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Is he hot? Listen miss,
He's got radioactive piss

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

shame on an IGA posted:

I ran into the opposite of this on discovering the previous owner of my truck replaced the fusible link for the glow plugs with one strand from a piece of cat5.

E: That pos dump truck shouldn't have been on the road if it's that easy to tear the bed off. Bridge did us all a favor.
Fusible link means it fuses the power source to the frame after the electrical tape burns away to safely dissipate power to the frame of the truck in case of overheating from overcurrent.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Thomamelas posted:

Plutonium sticks around basically forever in your body, it's not good. It has a tendency to seek out your bones and stay there (bones don't change much so there isn't a lot of opportunity for it to come out) and when it does migrate out it hits the liver and most of it goes straight back to your bones. You should not ingest plutonium. You should especially not inhale it.

That said, it is unlikely that you would be peeing enough for it to be very detectable, beyond the first few weeks, unless you were really looking for it (they were looking for it).

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Olothreutes posted:

Plutonium sticks around basically forever in your body, it's not good. It has a tendency to seek out your bones and stay there (bones don't change much so there isn't a lot of opportunity for it to come out) and when it does migrate out it hits the liver and most of it goes straight back to your bones. You should not ingest plutonium. You should especially not inhale it.

That said, it is unlikely that you would be peeing enough for it to be very detectable, beyond the first few weeks, unless you were really looking for it (they were looking for it).

As per this, https://fas.org/sgp/othergov/doe/lanl/pubs/00326640.pdf there were still detectable amounts in his urine during the 70's.

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers

Olothreutes posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Main > General Bullshit > OSHA You should not ingest plutonium. You should especially not inhale it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

And video here: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-12-31/4wd-falls-off-barge-on-way-to-fraser-island/8155676

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

"No ticket"

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Parking brake, never heard of it.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

"All of our stuff is in that" lol fuuuuck Sounded like an american tourist

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah it was a hired car borrowed by a bunch of tourist backpackers. It literally contained all their stuff.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

KoRMaK posted:

"All of our stuff is in that" lol fuuuuck Sounded like an american tourist

quote:

No-one was inside at the time, but a group of backpackers on their way to the island for New Year's Eve lost their mobile phones, bank cards, passports and other valuables when the rented vehicle rolled out between Inskip Point and Fraser Island, north of Brisbane, about 10:00am.

Backpacker Chloe Swift

Confirm.

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer

zedprime posted:

Fusible link means it fuses the power source to the frame after the electrical tape burns away to safely dissipate power to the frame of the truck in case of overheating from overcurrent.

No.

It's designed to just fail and break the connection. If it connected the power source to the frame you'd have a massive loving short, dumbass. You have no loving idea what you're talking about.

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer
The frame is the loving common ground.

Edit: I tried to call you out on the use of the term dissipation, but I'm sure you're unclear on the distinction between potential, current, and power.

Farmdizzle fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Dec 31, 2016

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Phuzun posted:

Parking brakes don't work well in reverse. I once saw the results of a brand new Dodge Ram pickup getting dragged backwards at a boat ramp. The owner walked away from it thinking the parking brake would hold his brand new giant rear end fishing boat while he was putting in. Not sure why he blocked the ramp and wandered off but people do that sometimes.

The truck barely had it's headlights out of the water. It was running so it took in a full lungful of water and hydro-locked. It ended up being totaled and sold for salvage. This was in the '90s and it was probably a $30,000 truck even back then. V10, all the trimmings, etc. My mechanic was the one who had to try to fix it.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Farmdizzle posted:

The frame is the loving common ground and you don't "dissipate" current.

i think he was joking m8

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Phuzun posted:

*is rental car*
*parking brake is a button behind the gas cap*

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer

spankmeister posted:

i think he was joking m8

Aw gently caress I just noticed it was zedprime. Yeah I got got.

I got got. Fukken oath.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

You guys are telling me american tourist Cloe Swift left her cell phone in the car?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

You guys are telling me american tourist Cloe Swift left her cell phone in the car?

Hmm yeah that does seem unlikely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

If they left their phones in the car, what were they using to film the incident with???? :tinfoil: