Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Xenomrph posted:

I've been getting in one heck of a "debate" on an AvP board about how "official canon" is stupid and arbitrary, and that "canon" and "continuity" aren't synonyms. It's been, well.... it's been a thing.
I am a masochist.

For what it's worth, extraterrestrials aren't particularly common even in the EU. Like yeah the occasional space-fish or space-cow shows up, but to date I think there have been maybe 8 "sentient" species introduced across all of the comics and novels, and four of them are humans, Aliens, Predators, and Space Jockeys/Engineers. The others have either been one-off cameos that never get expanded on and never show up again, or are primitive (roughly stone-age technologically) or are long-extinct. This ain't Star Trek or Star Wars where you have bustling federations and dozens of races hanging out getting drunk together, or even Warhammer40k where there's a handful of races but there's billions of each and they all hate each other and butt heads every other Tuesday.

And on the tangent of Aliens and other species, NECA (the toy company currently doing Aliens and Predator figures) is doing remakes of the old wacky Kenner Aliens and predator toys from the early 90s, and this poo poo would have driven 9-year-old me absolutely loving insane.

Here's the old-school Gorilla Alien and Mantis Alien:

And here's the new versions:

I mean holy poo poo

I had all these toys i must own these. My favorite thing about the toys was drake being the team smartgunner over vazquez. Like half the marine team were people that didnt even survive the first encounter.

Was happy though because drake owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Vasquez couldn't catch a break. In the Aliens arcade game from Konami player one and player two smartgunners are stand-ins for Ripley and Drake.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Those NECA aliens are everywhere. I might pick up the Mantis Toboggin and the facehugger one.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

God drat the old toys look like poo poo in comparison. Then again the 90's toys were made for actual children while the new ones are "collectibles" to go on the shelf of man-children who grew up with the previous toys. drat they look good. Makes me want to see a ridiculous movie where there's an alien infestation on some human planet that has a bunch of different animals and we get all these silly breeds of alien to fight. Or I guess a game would probably be better. Something like space-hulk but with aliens, which would be ironic since space hulk was an alien rip-off. It's rhymes, it's like poetry.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
How the gently caress does a facehugger facehug a mantis? (And would it produce a thoraxburster?)

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 225 days!

Payndz posted:

How the gently caress does a facehugger facehug a mantis? (And would it produce a thoraxburster?)

Xenomorph probably knows the answer.

SMG would probably say that you're missing the point and analyze the toy as pop art.

Me, I just think a mantis xenomorph is kicking rad.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Payndz posted:

Probably some huge alien mantis from another planet because science fiction aliens are usually garbage "well it's like this earth creature, only bigger and deadlier!" in their designs. Oh man that works for Prometheus too.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Payndz posted:

Black goo drips on a mantis.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Actually the alien mantis came first, engineers used the black goo to purify it and make it into a much smaller version and seed it on earth. It's like woahhhh makes you think.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

Baronjutter posted:

Probably some huge alien mantis from another planet because science fiction aliens are usually garbage "well it's like this earth creature, only bigger and deadlier!" in their designs. Oh man that works for Prometheus too.

This is actually the case in the Aliens EU too like the aliens have a natural predator on a planet folks at first think is their homeworld. But they're literally just big pteranodon? Then when they find the aliens real real real seriously for real homeworld it's literally a swamp with a bunch of three meter tall eggs that three meter tall adult xenomorphs walk out of.

Prometheus did that with the engineers but it had a thematic reason beyond "omg what if this average animal was huge!"

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Covenant appears to be a remake of AvPR set in space, much in the way Prometheus was a remake of the firstly AvP

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Xenomrph, what kinds of alien species exist in the Alien universe?

On a side note, I almost spelled your name as Xenomurph, and had a sudden vision of a drunken Irish Xenomorph.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Xenomrph posted:

I mean holy poo poo

Can you still squirt water out of the Gorilla Alien toy? If not, no sale.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
I taped the gorilla alien to my chest once for halloween

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008

Xenomrph posted:

I mean holy poo poo

Holy poo poo these look amazing. Please tell me they are doing the Bull Alien, that was my first Alien toy and I have a bot of fondness for it.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Jerkface posted:

I had all these toys i must own these. My favorite thing about the toys was drake being the team smartgunner over vazquez. Like half the marine team were people that didnt even survive the first encounter.

Was happy though because drake owns.

Vasquez got the last laugh - eventually she got a toy, and it was the only one to come with a pulse rifle.

NECA's (mostly) movie-accurate Vasquez is totally righteous, though.

I say "mostly" accurate because they forgot to put the ADIOS on the side of her Smartgun. :eng99:

MonsieurChoc posted:

Also Lance Henriksen is one of my favorite underappreciated actors now so there's a lot of love there too.
I got to meet Lance Henriksen at a showing of 'Aliens' back in 2010, he's seriously the coolest dude. He sat in the audience with us as we watched the movie (Special Edition version), then he did a Q&A where he told some anecdotes from making the movie, and then he did photos and autographs and stuff. He was down with doing the wackiest poses and whatever people wanted for photos, too. He was putting people in headlocks and poo poo, it was awesome. People brought DVDs and whatever for him to sign, but I opted to bring my copy of The Colonial Marines Technical Manual and have him sign it on the page about synthetics. He started paging through the book, and then he said, "Holy poo poo, is this a real book? Holy poo poo. This is a real book. Holy poo poo." And he just sat there for a minute flipping through it.

For those who can't read his handwriting, it says "I may be synthetic, but I'm not stupid". I kinda want to get other (surviving) Aliens cast members to sign it on appropriate pages now, too.

Payndz posted:

The more important question is, what kind of a creature creates the Killer Crab Alien?

Leavemywife posted:

Xenomrph, what kinds of alien species exist in the Alien universe?

On a side note, I almost spelled your name as Xenomurph, and had a sudden vision of a drunken Irish Xenomorph.
Are we talking just indigenous stuff, sentient life, or both?

In terms of non-sentient/indigenous stuff, the first AvP comic had these sort of space-cattle called "rynth" that were used for space-farming and livestock, they crop up again in the AvP: Extinction RTS game. Technically there's also the super-lice from 'Alien3', they're indigenous to the planet. There's a sort of space-wolf that crops up in an AvP comic, too. The second AvP PC game had a couple random extraterrestrials you could run into, like these weird tunneling worms, or these big gorilla-reptile things. One of the Aliens comics shows a couple Alien-hybrids that were apparently born from some kind of aquatic life, but you don't see them. The old Aliens pencil-and-paper RPG had these huge space-armadillo things called Harvesters that were indigenous to some planet and were nigh-indestructible and would just... tunnel through whatever was in their way. That's off the top of my head, I know there's others I'm forgetting.

As far as sentient stuff, there's a race that eats facehuggers:

And the Reapers, another race that eats facehuggers:

There's basically Grey Aliens:

And here's what the old comic book Space Jockeys looked like:

Here's that stone-age race I mentioned:

And another random dude:

I think that's all of the sentient ones you actually see in the comics, and like I said, each of them show up once and then are never seen again. There's one or two others that are hinted at but extinct, and then there's one or two more in the novels.

If we start factoring Predator stuff in, though, we see the trophies at the end of 'Predator 2' and the start of AvP:R.

Note the Space Jockey skull in the upper-right corner. And a, uh, triceratops.

99% of Predator comics take place on Earth but occasionally they'll show a wacky trophy skull or whatever.

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Can you still squirt water out of the Gorilla Alien toy? If not, no sale.
The new Gorilla Alien doesn't squirt water, but it does come with a little blue facehugger like the old one did. :v:
Also you can remove the dome and it's got a gorilla skull underneath.

OptimusShr posted:

Holy poo poo these look amazing. Please tell me they are doing the Bull Alien, that was my first Alien toy and I have a bot of fondness for it.
Apparently yes, NECA is planning to do remakes of basically all the old Kenner stuff.
I'm looking forward to them remaking the Snake Alien, that was my very first Aliens toy and I literally chose it because my mom was afraid of snakes. That was my only train of thought at the time, age 9. :kiddo:

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
I like that the comic looks like its saying NO NO NO NO NO NO.

Scorpion alien & Gorilla alien were my favorites because they were closest to the 'movie alien' look. Plus scorpion alien blew up when you shot him with Bishop's incredibly canon rocket launcher. The queen alien toy was also pretty sick at the time because it had the little inner mouth that came out, and you could dunk its face in water and suck up the water and then it could drool like all the aliens in the movies.

I got Jeanette Goldstein & Mark Rolston to sign a megacon booklet before, but I don't know where it is now. I told them I dressed up as Drake for halloween (which was true) when I was 10. I did not learn any insights into the movie or their process, just gushed at them like a nerd.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I live right down the block from Jeanette Goldstein's brassiere shop.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
I used to have a comic where villagers sacrificed people to a Xeno in the woods. This was like twenty years ago but I think it may have been good. Was it good? Like worth my time to dig through storage to find.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

UmOk posted:

I used to have a comic where villagers sacrificed people to a Xeno in the woods. This was like twenty years ago but I think it may have been good. Was it good? Like worth my time to dig through storage to find.
That's 'Aliens: Sacrifice'.
It's pretty neat and the art is good, although it's more of a parable about religion that happened to have an Alien in it as the "nameless horror". You can swap the Alien out for pretty much any generic monster and the story wouldn't change for the most part, although the story plays up the notion of sight vs blindness and the eyes being the "windows to the soul" (and the Alien has no eyes).

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

ruddiger posted:

I live right down the block from Jeanette Goldstein's brassiere shop.
Clearly some field research (with pics) is in order. Get on it, son!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I guess this is a good time to post Alien toy pics.

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Dec 31, 2016

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Watch out computer fans!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I got it down a bit.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I love your toy pictures. It's amazing what a little smoke and lighting can do.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
The expression on that Bill Paxton action figure is priceless.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Xenomrph posted:

What's the deal here, story-wise? Sounds like an interesting take on the space jockey.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
You edited out the computer fan one! That was my favorite!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ah. I thought you meant people's computer fans.

Here's the rest.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Those are some sick as gently caress pictures. Lighting skill ++

Sir Nose posted:

Clearly some field research (with pics) is in order. Get on it, son!

There's one in Pasadena and one in East Hollywood. I want to say there's one in NYC, but I can't remember if her shops were just inspired by those or if she had a branch out on the east coast.

I've been to the EH one. It's a cute little boutique and the personal service is good. I was actually sitting and reading a People magazine while my partner shopped and Vasquez came over and sat a few chairs down while doing some paperwork.

The price is not cheap by any means, but it'll be the best bra you've ever purchased.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Dec 31, 2016

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Xenomrph posted:

I've been getting in one heck of a "debate" on an AvP board about how "official canon" is stupid and arbitrary, and that "canon" and "continuity" aren't synonyms. It's been, well.... it's been a thing.
I am a masochist.

For what it's worth, extraterrestrials aren't particularly common even in the EU. Like yeah the occasional space-fish or space-cow shows up, but to date I think there have been maybe 8 "sentient" species introduced across all of the comics and novels, and four of them are humans, Aliens, Predators, and Space Jockeys/Engineers. The others have either been one-off cameos that never get expanded on and never show up again, or are primitive (roughly stone-age technologically) or are long-extinct. This ain't Star Trek or Star Wars where you have bustling federations and dozens of races hanging out getting drunk together, or even Warhammer40k where there's a handful of races but there's billions of each and they all hate each other and butt heads every other Tuesday.

And on the tangent of Aliens and other species, NECA (the toy company currently doing Aliens and Predator figures) is doing remakes of the old wacky Kenner Aliens and predator toys from the early 90s, and this poo poo would have driven 9-year-old me absolutely loving insane.

Here's the old-school Gorilla Alien and Mantis Alien:

I mean holy poo poo

gently caress off, dude.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I mean, seriously.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I apoligize, I didn't see this post before telling you to gently caress off and I'd like to retroactively attribute it to this one:

Xenomrph posted:

Vasquez got the last laugh - eventually she got a toy, and it was the only one to come with a pulse rifle.

NECA's (mostly) movie-accurate Vasquez is totally righteous, though.

I say "mostly" accurate because they forgot to put the ADIOS on the side of her Smartgun. :eng99:

I got to meet Lance Henriksen at a showing of 'Aliens' back in 2010, he's seriously the coolest dude. He sat in the audience with us as we watched the movie (Special Edition version), then he did a Q&A where he told some anecdotes from making the movie, and then he did photos and autographs and stuff. He was down with doing the wackiest poses and whatever people wanted for photos, too. He was putting people in headlocks and poo poo, it was awesome. People brought DVDs and whatever for him to sign, but I opted to bring my copy of The Colonial Marines Technical Manual and have him sign it on the page about synthetics. He started paging through the book, and then he said, "Holy poo poo, is this a real book? Holy poo poo. This is a real book. Holy poo poo." And he just sat there for a minute flipping through it.

For those who can't read his handwriting, it says "I may be synthetic, but I'm not stupid". I kinda want to get other (surviving) Aliens cast members to sign it on appropriate pages now, too.

The more important question is, what kind of a creature creates the Killer Crab Alien?

Are we talking just indigenous stuff, sentient life, or both?

In terms of non-sentient/indigenous stuff, the first AvP comic had these sort of space-cattle called "rynth" that were used for space-farming and livestock, they crop up again in the AvP: Extinction RTS game. Technically there's also the super-lice from 'Alien3', they're indigenous to the planet. There's a sort of space-wolf that crops up in an AvP comic, too. The second AvP PC game had a couple random extraterrestrials you could run into, like these weird tunneling worms, or these big gorilla-reptile things. One of the Aliens comics shows a couple Alien-hybrids that were apparently born from some kind of aquatic life, but you don't see them. The old Aliens pencil-and-paper RPG had these huge space-armadillo things called Harvesters that were indigenous to some planet and were nigh-indestructible and would just... tunnel through whatever was in their way. That's off the top of my head, I know there's others I'm forgetting.

As far as sentient stuff, there's a race that eats facehuggers:

And the Reapers, another race that eats facehuggers:

There's basically Grey Aliens:

Here's that stone-age race I mentioned:

And another random dude:

I think that's all of the sentient ones you actually see in the comics, and like I said, each of them show up once and then are never seen again. There's one or two others that are hinted at but extinct, and then there's one or two more in the novels.

If we start factoring Predator stuff in, though, we see the trophies at the end of 'Predator 2' and the start of AvP:R.

Note the Space Jockey skull in the upper-right corner. And a, uh, triceratops.

99% of Predator comics take place on Earth but occasionally they'll show a wacky trophy skull or whatever.

The new Gorilla Alien doesn't squirt water, but it does come with a little blue facehugger like the old one did. :v:
Also you can remove the dome and it's got a gorilla skull underneath.

Apparently yes, NECA is planning to do remakes of basically all the old Kenner stuff.
I'm looking forward to them remaking the Snake Alien, that was my very first Aliens toy and I literally chose it because my mom was afraid of snakes. That was my only train of thought at the time, age 9. :kiddo:

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Actually, I apologize for that, Xenomrph shouldn't gently caress off, this dude should:

CelticPredator posted:

I guess this is a good time to post Alien toy pics.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

Dan Didio posted:

Actually, I apologize for that, Xenomrph shouldn't gently caress off, this dude should:

gently caress off

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Isn't there some sort of predator (:haw:) for the Xenomorph on their home planet? Or something to keep them in check?

A Deacon
Nov 17, 2016

by exmarx

Dan Didio posted:

gently caress off, dude.

Dan Didio posted:

I mean, seriously.

Dan Didio posted:

I apoligize, I didn't see this post before telling you to gently caress off and I'd like to retroactively attribute it to this one:

Dan Didio posted:

What the gently caress is this poo poo? Mods?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Leavemywife posted:

Isn't there some sort of predator (:haw:) for the Xenomorph on their home planet? Or something to keep them in check?
Hypothetically yes? The EU never visits their homeworld or even confirms that they have one.

SUNKOS posted:

What's the deal here, story-wise? Sounds like an interesting take on the space jockey.
The comic series is 'Aliens: Apocalypse'. It's very 'At the Mountains of Madness' but without the whole "extraterrestrials influencing humans" stuff present in 'AvP' and 'Prometheus'. It's one of the few comics set between 'Alien' and 'Aliens' and the basic gist of it is a bounty hunter is hired to track down a group of scientists who have gone missing, and she and her team discover that the scientists have discovered what seems to be a colony world of the Space Jockeys. They find the last surviving scientist and learn that the science team basically went crazy and sacrificed themselves to give birth to Xenomorphs. One of the synthetics in the bounty hunter's team ends up being a Weyland-Yutani spy and tries to sabotage the whole thing, Xenomorphs show up and cause havoc, the Space Jockey in the picture gets facehugged and makes a huge Jockey-Alien that goes on a rampage and wrecks the place, and the bounty hunter and a couple survivors barely escape with their lives.

It came out in like 1999 or 2000 if I remember right, and it's from this post-Alien Resurrection period in Aliens comic publishing where every Alien was drawn either with Resurrection-style digitigrade legs, or straight-up aped the Resurrection design wholesale.

It's one of the better comic series and I think it handles the Space Jockeys a lot better than the Engineers of Prometheus. Not that the Engineers are bad or uninteresting; taken separately I think a movie about humanity finding that they were created by aliens/"gods" in their image and then venturing out to find them is cool and interesting. It's just that shoehorning it into 'Alien' was a mis-step.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

It's not shoe horned, it's the summation of the thesis that was originally presented in Ridley's original film.

e: also, the original intention of Aliens Earth War was Ripley and co. going to the Aliens home planet to capture the "Queen Mother" who they found by following her psychic link or whatever that she was sending out into the cosmos. No natural predators on the planet kept them in check so they were the only apex predator shown. Aliens fans hate the artwork and Fox hated that it reused the movie characters so there's been lots of rewriting/hand wringing/shoving round pegs into square holes to reconcile the series.

It's a shame because I saw some scans recently of the black and white artwork and Kieth's inks are pretty gorgeous, despite the slavish adherence to the aliens universe the writer and studios demanded.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Dec 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

A Deacon posted:

What the gently caress is this poo poo? Mods?

I think that poster just wanted to be a fuckstick and quote huge image posts