Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I know you're the official Adventurer's League representative here or whatever but c'mon, just let people make characters at the level of the part. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I know you're the official Adventurer's League representative here or whatever but c'mon, just let people make characters at the level of the part. :smith:

Is this actually taking place on New Year's Eve? Like... is someone devoting their NYE on running adventures at a store, and there'll be enough attending players to make it work?

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Sage Genesis posted:

Is this actually taking place on New Year's Eve? Like... is someone devoting their NYE on running adventures at a store, and there'll be enough attending players to make it work?

Eh, that'd be better than most of the NYE celebrations I've attended.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Sage Genesis posted:

Yeah. The store is staying open until 2 am. They will be packed, most likely. More than just DnD going on, though. She will have several people willing to play.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Sage Genesis posted:

A friend of mine who is a legit competitive bodybuilder and professional trainer is ringing in the NY with a bunch of his clients playing Magic all night at our favorite game shop. I have no idea what being a nerd even is anymore.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
Our LGS scheduled a Magic PTQ on New Year's Eve, so I have to start drinking before 1 PM

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea of all the 'holidays' to spend playing nerd poo poo with others NYE is probably the least weird to me. The whole thing is just to get out and be with people you like doing things you like to celebrate the end of the year.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

If I wasn't already throwing a party or had other plans, I would probably stop by. :shrug:

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Beats the gently caress out of working fast food, I'll tell you that for free.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
Im DMing a double session where I'm going to do the villain reveal to my players for NYE.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Admiral Joeslop posted:

This almost reads like it's for a MMO. They'd better introduce Double XP Weekends soon so people can enjoy the endgame content faster.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Doresh posted:

This almost reads like it's for a MMO. They'd better introduce Double XP Weekends soon so people can enjoy the endgame content faster.

D&D was MMOs before computers anyway.

And if you want an MMO where there is some degree of freedom in plotting and conflict resolution, you're going to need human adjudication.

And if you're going to have a human being on the server end anyway, might as well use a TRPG for it than having to go through the rigmarole of coding a computerized front-end.

Which brings us to the final point that it is therefore not a bad thing for a TRPG to take pages out of computer games when it comes to mechanical design, and that TRPGs should be designed with the same kind of gameplay rigour.

Because it really is World of Warcraft - you're just trading away computational power in exchange for a much lower barrier of entry.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015
Except class balance in D&D is terrible (spellcasters broken plx nerf) and MMOs have long since figured out that warriors need something more interesting to do than "I swing my sword". They also don't really allow for the whole "God Wizard derails the whole campaign setting because he's God Wizard"

[Insert snarky remark about 4th edition having already figured this out here]

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
I think it's a big mistake to treat D&D and Everquest as the same kind of activity or even direct competitors for people's time and attention (no more than going to see a movie competes against going to play tennis, anyway). Sure, they both scratch the "cooperatively level up in a fantasy world" itch but players are doing something very different with a DM than they are with a server.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Back in the early days of MMORPGs you did have occasional GM-led events that were kinda similar to short tabletop campaigns, where the GM would lead players to an area and they'd fight baddies and then a boss and woo maybe some special rewards. In general though I agree, MMORPGs on the whole have different design and goals than tabletop D&D.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Dick Burglar posted:

Back in the early days of MMORPGs you did have occasional GM-led events that were kinda similar to short tabletop campaigns, where the GM would lead players to an area and they'd fight baddies and then a boss and woo maybe some special rewards. In general though I agree, MMORPGs on the whole have different design and goals than tabletop D&D.

I actually saw one of those happen, ran in, stole the quest item from the super special boss and ran away and put it in the bank. I then messaged the GMs ransoming it and they took it from my bank since they got mad

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Dick Burglar posted:

Asheron's Call used to do a good bit of this. They would even have their devs RP as the big bad that was trouncing the countryside. One time, the dev playing the baddy of the month gave me a month for waving and smiling at him before just running by on my way to do other things. He instantly killed everyone who attacked or worshiped him, though.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried
AC was pretty unique like that I thought. The big story arcs were often driven by GM run events. Eve used to do it a bit back in the day, but they shut the department down because it was corrupt as gently caress and helping player factions.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Blacknose posted:

AC was pretty unique like that I thought. The big story arcs were often driven by GM run events. Eve used to do it a bit back in the day, but they shut the department down because it was corrupt as gently caress and helping player factions.
Somewhere out there there are people to incompetent for the job description "Use cheat codes to grief EVE players".

Jesus wept.

Sneaky Wombat
Jan 9, 2010

Talking about Modules again, Can anyone elaborate on why Tyranny of dragons is a garbage fire/hot mess? I was thinking of running a module with my group but didn't want to lead them into bullshit.

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...
IIRC partially because it has a really long and boring section right in the middle where you're in a long caravan traveling across boring land.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
Mearls apparently just wrapped up a Mystics class progression, so it sounds like phb2.0 may have psionics added to it.

http://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/12/31/psionic-mystic-finished-level-1-20-design/

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Psionics are good so I hope this all works out pretty well.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
How are psionics meaningfully different than magic in any edition of d&d?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
They're cooler? That 70s charm still works.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

mango sentinel posted:

They usually use a completely different resource system. (Power points instead of arcane Vancian spellcasting.) Up until 3.5, psionics also had an odd "psychic duel" system built in that I wouldn't be surprised if Mearls revisits, as well as wild talents, which is a system allowing for any character of any class to have some psionic ability, usually determined randomly.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Arivia posted:

They usually use a completely different resource system. (Power points instead of arcane Vancian spellcasting.) Up until 3.5, psionics also had an odd "psychic duel" system built in that I wouldn't be surprised if Mearls revisits, as well as wild talents, which is a system allowing for any character of any class to have some psionic ability, usually determined randomly.

Psionics are the special snowflakes of the spellcasters, who need an entire microcosm of powers, races, artifacts and monsters all catering to their "Screw you, Vancian spellcasting" mechanical gimmick. I know this was back in the day when every class needed its own rules sub-system, but Psionics is just bonkers.
And I guess they work in a modern day setting where they can throw around cars and set people on fire with their mind, but I just can't imagine them in a fantasy setting.

It's a bit like how the X-Men have so much mutant shenanigans going on that Marvel could just split them off into their own universe.

Doresh fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jan 2, 2017

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Psionics made a lot of sense in OD&D and 1e and their inspirations, where sci-fi and fantasy weren't really all that distinct and "mind magic" slid in easily next to the other stuff. Psionics doesn't really match where D&D has gone, but they fit quite well in the game in general.

edit: And really, there are races and monsters and artifacts for arcane magic too, or divine, or pretty much anything. Psionics is one of the better-integrated systems in that respect because of its longevity; it has signature D&D monsters that use it (mind flayers) as well as lesser-known ones (like the derro.)

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
most important part is getting closer to Dark Sun 5e. All we need is a Thri-Keen race and we can hammer everything else in.

You can map how cool a D&D thing is by how close it is to psionics. Mind Flayers, Dark Sun, Duergar, Gith. Only lame part is mechanics sometimes.

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jan 2, 2017

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

mango sentinel posted:

They're incredibly different in 2e. Casting can be interrupted, and psionics can't. So not only is it more obvious when a spell is being cast, but you get the opportunity to stop it .

However, Part of this would go to whether the subject of psionics feels themselves under attack or not. If they don't then someone can try to dominate them day after day and never know.

And then theres the points system vs vancian casting which does change stuff up.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Doresh posted:

Psionics... ..."Screw you, Vancian spellcasting"
Yeah but what are the downsides?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
In the post-TSR context, psionics are cool and good because Power Points are arguably easier to grasp than Spell Slots, and psionics powers aren't as gamebreaky as Wizard spells, and psionic classes aren't as universalist as Wizards, and even the fighty psionic class has a respectable number of Power Points and psionic powers to augment themselves with.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

rumble in the bunghole posted:

You can map how cool a D&D thing is by how close it is to psionics.

:allears:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Cassa posted:

So would Psionics be similar to Sorceror's spell points? But using those for spell slots?

I've only encountered the 4e psion and as an observer it was just lots of empowered at wills.

This got lost in the TG KS thread, but I assume it's for this discussion.

Psionics would be similar to the Spell Points variant rule of the DMG. You get a certain number of Power Points per level, and you use those to cast Powers with.

The other distinguishing factor with regards Psionics versus Spells is that Psionics can be augmented. That is, you can spend a base number of Power Points to activate a power with a basic effect, but you can spend extra points to increase the effects further.

To pull an analogy, it would be like if a Sorcerer only had points, but they used the points both to cast a Fireball, and to apply metamagic effects. like doubling the range or increasing the Fireball's damage.

In 4e, this was simulated/translated by removing Encounter-type powers from Psionic classes. Instead, they only ever had At-Will powers, but they could spend Power Points to augment the At-Wills, and that would change/increase the effects of the power such that it would be the stand-in for Encounter powers on any other class.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
So are psionics magical like a wizard, or magical like a dragon?

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
Everyone seems really convinced that Psionics aren't going to be like Monk powers:

Energy Push: You can spend two power points to cast the spell Thunderwave.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

If you're trying to throw shade I'll stab you with my mind dagger.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

P.d0t posted:

So are psionics magical like a wizard, or magical like a dragon?

Nah, they're a third, separate kind of definitely not magic. Of course what's actually going to happen is that they'll be

Boing posted:

...like Monk powers:

Energy Push: You can spend two power points to cast the spell <gygaxian prose describing the thing you can do>, "which has the same effect as the spell Thunderwave".

e: Dark Sun's cool though. Mind flayers are also p cool, especially when they're spacefaring slavers.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jan 2, 2017

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I want to keep talking about psionics because it's fun to muse about this sort of thing.

Okay. So one of 3rd edition's big bullet point features, on top of stuff like a unified resolution mechanic and a modular multiclass system, was metamagic, or the ability to enhance or augment your spells with increased range, increased duration, more damage, no vocal component, etc.

Applying metamagic to a spell (and you acquired metamagic enhancements via feats) would increase the spell level of the spell, which meant you would correspondingly spent a higher level spell on it, but more importantly, it required that you prepare the spell+metamagic ahead of time, which wasn't always feasibly predictable.

Enter the Sorcerer. Besides being a tradeoff of the pre-WOTC Wizard's "can potentially know every spell" with "can pick the spells they like", the key thing about the Sorcerer being a spontaneous caster was that they could apply the metamagic to the spell on the fly, since their slots aren't committed.

(in 5e, the Sorc adopts metamagic altogether, probably as an acknowledgement that they were the only ones to really use this feature)

In the context of psionics, the whole augmentation angle could be taken as an expansion of the concept. Most psionic powers could be augmented without needing to take a feat (though if I'm not mistaken there were still generic augmentation feats available), and since powers were activated via Power Points, which like spontaneous casting didn't need prior commitment, it was far easier to play around with augments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Ah yeah, that's what would be coolest imo, but :mearls:

gradenko_2000 posted:

This got lost in the TG KS thread, but I assume it's for this discussion.

Don't mix tabs, kiddies, it'll rot your mind faster than 5e.