Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

More cars BWM, this time my brother at Christmas who has delusions of grandeur regarding his future wealth and how much life not-living-at-your-parents costs. He kept insisting that my dad should just buy a new Tesla rather than take my mom's 120k Ford Escape and selling his older Kia. "It's only 80k, you make more than that in a year!" My dad is also not someone who ever gave one poo poo about luxury items or anything like that and was happy to get the escape because he can fit his kayak or bike in it better than strapping it to the roof of his old car.

At least my brother just insists that other people should be racking up debt and doesn't really have much of his own AFAIK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Is Geico a good choice? I got a quote from them for about $200 less then I'm paying now, but I'm not sure how they are for customer service.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Meh. They're fine, especially if you lean on the local Geico office to do stuff for you instead of their customer service line.

I just switched my renter and auto from Geico though, they were unwilling to negotiate lower rates when I shopped around, and I left. Got an email asking why I left after I cancelled, I just forwarded them the email saying "Thank you for the email on your insurance needs, however, since you are already with GEICO, I cannot do anything on your insurance policies."

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

BigDave posted:

Is Geico a good choice? I got a quote from them for about $200 less then I'm paying now, but I'm not sure how they are for customer service.

I had a minor accident that I was not at fault on and they were very good with communications.

However.

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Meh. They're fine, especially if you lean on the local Geico office to do stuff for you instead of their customer service line.

I just switched my renter and auto from Geico though, they were unwilling to negotiate lower rates when I shopped around, and I left. Got an email asking why I left after I cancelled, I just forwarded them the email saying "Thank you for the email on your insurance needs, however, since you are already with GEICO, I cannot do anything on your insurance policies."

I found out I was paying literally 1500 more a year than the equivalent policy on Progressive, and they would not negotiate, so I switched.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

I've heard some people say they'll gently caress you real bad or find any reason to drop you if you need to file a claim but that's just anecdotal so whatever. I personally have USAA because I had heard a lot of good things about them actually being worth the somewhat higher cost and so far I'd say that's true - some old guy backed into me last year and I called them up and got a local guy assigned to my case almost immediately and just gave him the info and pictures over their online thing and he made the entire thing magically disappear in like a week without further input from me other than "where would you like to get your car fixed"

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Even to retain me as a customer, Geico couldn't come close to beating USAA after I got married and transferred my coverage. Progressive was about 20% more expensive for coverage equivalent to what I had with GEICO. USAA charged about 2/3rds the price for higher coverage limits all around. I've had no claims with either company so can't say either way on that front. I have a clean driving record.

Online account management and document access with USAA is nothing but a headache, especially for a company that does everything online/remote. It's not worse than GEICO or Progressive though. When we moved, the rep told me she was transferring coverage and updating my address system-wide, so of course it took two more calls for it to stick (and I'm still getting USAA mail forwarded from the old place, but every time I talk to them, my address is correct?). We had a travel notification in place while my husband was deployed and USAA decided they needed to send him a new chip debit card (but not me), so they sent it, waited a couple weeks, then let him know they were frying the old one in 10 days despite having told them well ahead of time he'd be gone for a while. Regular customer service didn't care but when I sent a Facebook message they FedEx'ed one.

Tl;dr: you get what you pay for and God help me if I ever make a claim with these guys

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Stop.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I've made one Geico claim in my life when I hit a giant pothole in the middle of the night and managed to take out a tire and rim. Everything was incredibly easy through them, I got a rental car, and my premiums never changed.

The gwm option is to get usaa or limit your dating to usaa members.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

http://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/5l05r8/left_work_today_can_i_still_get_this_line_of/ posted:

The hostile environment at my new work was taking a visible toll on me and my mental health, I resigned today after another unnecessary yelling match.

Though I'm afraid I've made big mistake, not by quitting work, but by NOT taking a pre-approved line of credit that was offered by my bank long before quitting ($12000 limit, 5.6%). Without this loan, I don't believe I have anyway to cover expenses beyond the next 1-2 months, I am also going overseas for my sisters wedding in 4 months, which will be about the 1-2 months of savings I do have after so I feel this LOC can help me. Last thing I would like to do is try to rush things in desperation and accept another offer without adequate research into the company.

I'm sure my biggest mistake was quitting on the spot before taking the LOC, but I'm now looking forward and and trying to make the best of things. I will have to talk to the loan lender at my bank, is there anyway in which I can maximize my chances at getting this LOC? I assume they will not offer it to me again, now that I am unemployed. Though in actually I only need a $5000 limit, that should be plenty to cover costs and hopefully land a decent job within the next 6 month. What would be the best way to maximize my chances at this point?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

I've made one Geico claim in my life when I hit a giant pothole in the middle of the night and managed to take out a tire and rim. Everything was incredibly easy through them, I got a rental car, and my premiums never changed.

The gwm option is to get usaa or limit your dating to usaa members.

My only Geico experience was being backed into by one of their insured.

I put my car in the garage and waited until the adjuster showed up (drivable totally, but I had something else to drive). I had parts prices and my own reasonable estimates on paint/labor printed out. 1 hour after the adjuster showed up (2 days later) she had cut me a check for the exact amount I asked for (around $1900, FYI).

+1 for Geico. Would be hit by their insured again for low value property damage only.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

I'm pretty sure it's been mentioned in this thread before, but I just stumbled across the photo of the divorcing couple drafting their Beanie Babies again (1999, I think).

lmao

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Also nominate some posts for the Golden Wonderhangers instead of talking about insurance itt :argh:

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

Droo posted:

waaah my job sucks waaah

OP's getting murdered in the comments:

You need to land a job, now. You made a huge mistake quitting without an emergency fund or new job lined up. You're compounding that by blowing 2 months of expenses on a wedding. And the icing on the cake is you desperately want to debt finance all of this.
You're in way over your head. You need to fight hard to get back to the surface.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

olylifter posted:

OP's getting murdered in the comments:

You need to land a job, now. You made a huge mistake quitting without an emergency fund or new job lined up. You're compounding that by blowing 2 months of expenses on a wedding. And the icing on the cake is you desperately want to debt finance all of this.
You're in way over your head. You need to fight hard to get back to the surface.
The best one is:

quote:

As far as helping your situation, I recommend going back to work tomorrow and begging on your knees for your job back. If you do get it back, or even if you don't get it back it's time to start sending out resumes in hopes of landing a job. Good luck; you're going to need it.

Along with OP seeing the writing on the wall but not deciding to, y'know, change industries to something that's not dying:

quote:

I think the unfortunate problem is the inability of these HVAC/R companies to compete globally as their margins shrink ever lower every year. It's simply way cheaper to get our own products made in India and China then ship it to the US, and they get better and better at making these products every year and at higher quantities. In what experience I do have, I think the employment standards are falling along with their margins at a lot of these smaller companies, and the frustration of management is only going up. The good employees see the trends and leave, the problematic/desperate remain and you are left with the negative working environments I mention above. That's my 2 cents from internally in this industry.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

People who complain bitterly of a "hostile work environment" are often part of the problem without realizing it. They're probably happy to be rid of him/her.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Is it BWM for American Express to be sending out all these ~1 lb offers on thick stock? Overall, they're quite nice. No wonder their fees are so high.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Dec 31, 2016

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Apparently those National Realtor ads are still working on some people at least. https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/5l82a7/100_downpayment/

quote:

Figure you could borrow money for a house at 4+% right now. So, not borrowing money has the effect of making 4+%. That's not the worst return on money.
Another way to think about it is this: housing typically appreciates at about 10% per year. If you buy a house for $200k and pay cash, you could expect to make $20k/year. However, if you only put 20% down, your $40k grows at 50% per year. You would also have $100k that could be put to work in other investments.

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005
He should have armed himself if he was goin' to decorate his establishment with my friend.
I don't think I've posted about a coworker/coworker parent BWM situation that I know of yet. Carol is mid-50s with a state government job that makes a bit over six figures, Mark is mid-30s with a state gov job that makes close to 80k and will max out at low six figures. The parents got divorced a number of years ago and kept the house, but the house/mortgage was originally in the fathers (Steve) name and Carol hates the Steve so much she has never switched it over to her name because that would involve talking to him. Carol/Mark and Mark's brother (Dan) all have access to each others bank accounts.

The Carol and Mark share an AMEX with about 13k of debt, Carol has 4 other credit cards with varying balances in the hundreds. The Carol and Mark cross financed each others vehicles because of Carol wrecking her credit badly and putting a dent in Mark's credit by opening CC in his name and defaulting on payments. The interest rates on the vehicles are in the 9% - 15% range with payoffs next year and in 2018 (Ford Mustang and Jeep Patriot). Carol does not cook at home and eats out for every meal, mostly fast food and starbucks. Carol is also addicted to buying "things" that go on the AMEX and so the house is filled with clothes/gadgets/furniture/etc. that has been used once or not at all. The house also needs repairs to the fence and AC unit. Carol's mortgage payment is around $1300, with monthly power at $500 and tv/internet at $300. The state gov job has a mandatory 9.5% contribution to a 403(b) but the parent never contributed to a 401(k) or any of the other retirement accounts available and currently has cash savings of about $300 and money on hand of $100-ish at the end of the month. Dan lives at Carol's house rent free and works at a book store with masters degree. He does not have a car so he generally gets a ride from his partner to and from work. He brings home about $600 every pay period that is spent on books that he stores at the Carol's house. Carol would like to retire from her state job and finance going to law school.

Mark until recently, was still living with the Carol rent free. He recently moved to a 2 bedroom apartment with rent at $1400 a month and with other utilities/internet coming to about 200. He also has two small dogs that need feed/vet care/etc. Similar to Carol, for the most part the Mark would eat out for every meal and buy lots of "nerdy things" like POP figurines, multiple copies of DVDs and blu-rays, posters, etc. Mark would go to multiple concert dates for the same performer and buy merchandise each time or travel out of state to see NFL and college football games. We sat down recently and wrote out a budget based on saving $100 each month and after accounting for rent, minimum payment on the AMEX, cell phone bill ($500ish a month), student loans and payments for subscription services and the parents credit cards the Mark would have about $250 left to cover groceries, gas, clothing and medical costs per month. He also has about $350 in cash savings, no 401k/457b or IRA savings but does have the mandatory 9.5% 403(b) like his mother.

William Munny fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Dec 31, 2016

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

If you're gonna write War & Peace just make up names, trying to parse all the "the parent's" and there are two kids apparently but only one is "a" coworker I think? just takes way too much effort.

The introduction of "his mother" at the last second was a real shocker though, did not expect that ending.

Pryor on Fire fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Dec 31, 2016

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
A coworker has no name.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
We just hired a new nurse at work and she came into the office to ask to use the fax machine the other day. She told us her old job was faxing over some papers for her and she needed to sign them and fax them over to Fidelity or something. No one really pried but she offered up right away that she was cashing out her 401k from her previous job. I thought maybe she was rolling it over, but it was later confirmed that she was indeed cashing it out.

Somewhat related, the physician at work works for another company, and he was telling me about the manager at one of the other company's locations who one day quit his job, cashed out his entire 401k and decided to day-trade stocks. It apparently lasted for about a month and now he lives with his parents working at a book store.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Added placeholder name and "mother" instead of "parent" to see if it would be easier to parse:

William Munny posted:

I don't think I've posted about my coworker Billy Bob/Billy Bob's mother BWM situation that I know of yet. Mother is mid-50s with a state government job that makes a bit over six figures, Billy Bob is mid-30s with a state gov job that makes close to 80k and will max out at low six figures. Billy Bob's parents got divorced a number of years ago and kept the house, but the house/mortgage was originally in his father's name and his mother hates his father so much she has never switched it over to her name because that would involve talking to him. The mother/Billy Bob/Billy Bob's brother all have access to each others bank accounts.

Billy Bob and his mother share an AMEX with about 13k of debt, the mother then has 4 other credit cards with varying balances in the hundreds. Billy Bob and his mother cross financed each other's vehicles because of the mother wrecking her credit badly and putting a dent in Billy Bob's credit by opening CC in his name (and committing identity theft - ed.) and defaulting on payments. The interest rates on the vehicles are in the 9% - 15% range with payoffs next year and in 2018 (Ford Mustang and Jeep Patriot). The mother does not cook at home and eats out for every meal, mostly fast food and Starbucks. The mother is also addicted to buying "things" that go on the AMEX and so the house is filled with clothes/gadgets/furniture/etc. that has been used once or not at all. The house also needs repairs to the fence and AC unit. Mortgage payment is around $1300, with monthly power at $500 and tv/internet at $300. The state gov job has a mandatory 9.5% contribution to a 403(b) but the mother never contributed to a 401(k) or any of the other retirement accounts available and currently has cash savings of about $300 and money on hand of $100-ish at the end of the month. Billy Bob's brother lives at his mother's house rent free and works at a book store with masters degree. He does not have a car so he generally gets a ride from his partner to and from work. He brings home about $600 every pay period that is spent on books that he stores at his parents house. The mother would like to retire from her state job and finance going to law school (because she is a stupid gently caress - ed.)

Billy Bob, until recently, was still living with his mother in the house rent free. He recently moved to a 2 bedroom apartment with rent at $1400 a month and with other utilities/internet coming to about 200. Billy Bob also has two small dogs that need feed/vet care/etc. Similar to his mother, for the most part Billy Bob would eat out for every meal and buy lots of "nerdy things" like POP figurines, multiple copies of DVDs and blu-rays, posters, etc. Also Billy Bob would go to multiple concert dates for the same performer and buy merchandise each time or travel out of state to see NFL and college football games. We sat down recently and wrote out a budget based on saving $100 each month and after accounting for rent, minimum payment on the AMEX, cell phone bill ($500ish a month), student loans and payments for subscription services and the mother's credit cards Billy Bob would have about $250 left to cover groceries, gas, clothing and medical costs per month. Billy Bob has about $350 in cash savings, no 401k/457b or IRA savings but does have the mandatory 9.5% 403(b) like his mother.

Nope, really doesn't.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Haifisch posted:

The best one is:

Along with OP seeing the writing on the wall but not deciding to, y'know, change industries to something that's not dying:

Wait does he work in a factory or as an AC installer, because I don't think HVAC installation will be going anywhere... well pretty much ever with global warming

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

ate all the Oreos posted:

Wait does he work in a factory or as an AC installer, because I don't think HVAC installation will be going anywhere... well pretty much ever with global warming

In one of the replies, he said he worked for a manufacturer, which makes sense considering he says in a post quoted here that production is moving overseas.

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005
He should have armed himself if he was goin' to decorate his establishment with my friend.

Pryor on Fire posted:

If you're gonna write War & Peace just make up names, trying to parse all the "the parent's" and there are two kids apparently but only one is "a" coworker I think? just takes way too much effort.

The introduction of "his mother" at the last second was a real shocker though, did not expect that ending.

Sorry, I don't post much. Tried to fix it so it's a bit easier to read. Basically all of their finances are linked from cross-financing purchases for each other and paying for each others bills. None of them have any substantial cash savings to speak of. Mark and Dan both have student loans, but only Mark has the chance of PSLF as Dan works for a private company and all of his loans are private because Carol told him not to take out federal student loans.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Droo posted:

Apparently those National Realtor ads are still working on some people at least. https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/5l82a7/100_downpayment/

Can't wait until my $300k house is worth $2,018,249.98 in 20 years

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I rewrote this in the style of my mom's speech using the now recommended singular "they".

William Munny posted:

I don't think I've posted about a coworker/coworker parent BWM situation that I know of yet. Carol is mid-50s with a state government job that makes a bit over six figures, Mark is mid-30s with a state gov job that makes close to 80k and will max out at low six figures. Their parents got divorced a number of years ago and kept the house, but the house/mortgage was originally in the fathers (Steve) name and they hate them so much they have never switched it over to their name because that would involve talking to them. They and their brother (Dan) all have access to each others bank accounts.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

my summer at fat camp posted:

Can't wait until my $300k house is worth $2,018,249.98 in 20 years

By Australian standards, this is entirely plausible.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Mantle posted:

I rewrote this in the style of my mom's speech using the now recommended singular "they".

But what're you going to do with the poster's use of "the Carol"?

And I think singular "they" is only used when the gender of the person is not known or intentionally unspecified (as often found in instructions or subjunctive phrases).

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010

ate all the Oreos posted:

My uncle does HVAC installation as a side business. Always busy. Haven't seen the financials, but something enables him to raise 4 kids pretty comfortably with wife being SAHM.

HVAC installation - GWM.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Sic Semper Goon posted:

By Australian standards, this is entirely plausible.
Here in the Toronto-area we're sitting on top of a bubble real estate market, with detached houses selling for an average of ~$1.28 million.

I bought my house on the fringe of the bubble area a few years ago. A lot of :smug: people I knew kept telling me how I'm going "to regret not buying in the 416", despite the fact that it was far beyond my (and many others') affordability even before the bubble market hit its mid-point. But now, those same people aren't so smug given that their property reassessments have resulted in property taxes hikes. They're also realizing that they can't bring their house to the grocery store. So on top of servicing their $750,000 mortgages, they're now paying property tax on a $1 million+ home. All this while Canadian household debt has exceeded the country's GDP for the first time in history.

What could go wrong?

melon cat fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jan 1, 2017

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Love It or List It is filmed in Canada and so you'll watch it and there are these absolutely INSANE home prices and you just think, "thank God I live in a depressed real estate market."

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
This is a bit of an aftermath post, but I met up with a coworker I hadn't seen in a little while back in October. To give some context, I know she's been making $100,000 for atleast 5 years. Steady career before that. Always been a big spender, has jetskis and what appears to be a new car like every 6 months.

The old company I worked for got a new CEO, who was slowly forcing everyone out the old guard and replacing them with his friends. She was somewhat demoted, and was very unhappy with the new management so was putting feelers for a new job. She got a new job as a consultant, and her usually poor choices became even poorer. Within a month of getting the new job, she buys a house in a new housing development nearly in the middle of nowhere (tired of wasting money on rent, yes she actually said that). Easily an hour and a half commute if she ever needed to find a new job. She did this because she'd be working at home, and travel to different sites when needed. A friend also needed to sell car at a dealership to keep their job, so she traded in her Jeep (had to be a 2015-2016) for a newer one. Don't worry though, lower monthly payments. Well, a month after the home purchase she gets fired. To her credit, she was able to pay her bills for a month before she was completely broke. She did have another job lined up, but 2 hour commute each way and she was hoping she'd find something better. I also found this all out as we were driving to the casino, because she wanted to win some money cause she'd been on a hotstreak. She did win $200.

Luckily for her, she did manage to land a job with the old management crew so crisis averted for now.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

melon cat posted:

What could go wrong?

As a renter, the worse the Australian property bubble crash, the better (for me, at least).

Sic Semper Goon fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jan 1, 2017

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
I don't see a sudden increase in demand for renting lowering prices...

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Sic Semper Goon posted:

As a renter, the worse the Australian property bubble crash, the better (for me, at least).

The more it seems to be heading towards us the more I'm rubbing my hands together with glee, and the combination of a feckless Australian government, a looming recession, Australia on the cusp of losing its AAA rating, and a shitload of boomers/pensioners suddenly being disqualified from the pension due to the changes in the assets test and therefore needing to make assets liquid in order to pay for living expenses (plus whatever global impact is going to occur from the upcoming Trump shitshow) makes me think that I'm going to be justified in renewing my rental agreement in 3 months time and holding out for another year to see what happens.

That said, it's amazing exactly how many people are holding on for grim life to the prospect that you still need to buy, buy, buy. I was discussing the above points with someone, who agreed that there was going to be a market correction, but who then advised "You should still buy right away; if the market crashes, banks are going to be less comfortable lending out money and you'll not be able to get a loan. GET ON THE LADDER." :psypop:

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

sparkmaster posted:

My uncle does HVAC installation as a side business. Always busy. Haven't seen the financials, but something enables him to raise 4 kids pretty comfortably with wife being SAHM.

HVAC installation - GWM.
In the TV show Community the main community college campus is kept afloat by the HVAC install / repair campus, run by John Goodman's character stealing the show.

When HVAC goes down, it needs to get up pronto, and speed and skill = $$$

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Breetai posted:

The more it seems to be heading towards us the more I'm rubbing my hands together with glee, and the combination of a feckless Australian government, a looming recession, Australia on the cusp of losing its AAA rating, and a shitload of boomers/pensioners suddenly being disqualified from the pension due to the changes in the assets test and therefore needing to make assets liquid in order to pay for living expenses (plus whatever global impact is going to occur from the upcoming Trump shitshow) makes me think that I'm going to be justified in renewing my rental agreement in 3 months time and holding out for another year to see what happens.

That said, it's amazing exactly how many people are holding on for grim life to the prospect that you still need to buy, buy, buy. I was discussing the above points with someone, who agreed that there was going to be a market correction, but who then advised "You should still buy right away; if the market crashes, banks are going to be less comfortable lending out money and you'll not be able to get a loan. GET ON THE LADDER." :psypop:

Have these people not seen The Big Short? We know how this ends, and it isn't pretty :psyduck:

Though I fully expect the bubble to keep floating upwards purely on hopes and dreams for a few months after it pops, much like the US one did; maybe it's guys like that who keep it going.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

Dustoph posted:

I don't see a sudden increase in demand for renting lowering prices...

You misunderstood my statement. I don't want to be a renter, I wish to own a house, but due to massive overpricing, am unable to do so.

If the market crashes, this means (to my understanding) that house prices will drop, hopefully to the level of which I am capable of purchasing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Sic Semper Goon posted:

You misunderstood my statement. I don't want to be a renter, I wish to own a house, but due to massive overpricing, am unable to do so.

If the market crashes, this means (to my understanding) that house prices will drop, hopefully to the level of which I am capable of purchasing.

It does mean that. There are also some other minor side effects like rising unemployment and bankruptcy rates, you might want to look at other countries where the real estate bubble burst to see the effects usually aren't just "hey cheap houses"

• Locked thread