Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

so was it worth it for the free stay & points?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Anyone flown JetSuiteX? Giving it a try next week.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Rex-Goliath posted:

so was it worth it for the free stay & points?

I have a strong will and quickly picked up on how the game was played. I would do it once. I will not do it again.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

sellouts posted:

Anyone flown JetSuiteX? Giving it a try next week.

Love them. I've done their BUR-LAS route several times. Not having to go through TSA or the Terminal is great if you're not connecting, a little bit of a hassle if you are.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I guess part of me doesn't understand timeshare pitches. Once I have the "reward," e.g. the points, the free stay, whatever, why not just walk out. We all know time shares are for fools. Fools will continue to fall for it. But what's stopping you from leaving, and what kind of requirements are there to get the points?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I guess part of me doesn't understand timeshare pitches. Once I have the "reward," e.g. the points, the free stay, whatever, why not just walk out. We all know time shares are for fools. Fools will continue to fall for it. But what's stopping you from leaving, and what kind of requirements are there to get the points?

They usually don't give you the rewards until/unless you listen to the pitch.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

monster on a stick posted:

They usually don't give you the rewards until/unless you listen to the pitch.

The nice ones do that.

HVC charges the full cost of lodging on your tab (credit card required) at check-in. Once they draw a contract for you (at the presentation) they adjust your tab and give you the points. No contract drawn, you're screwed. So you have to be strategic as to when/if you play the 'walk' card. You don't have to sign the contract.

If you choose not to sign the contract, they'll hand you off to another guy who will try to get you purchase a 'VIP' package that will allow you to hold the terms of the contract for 18 months and allow you to take a copy of the contract with you. It also includes your first year of 'points' as a bonus so you can 'trial' the program (whether you sign the contract or not). The 'VIP' package cost is equal to the downpayment (10%) stated on the contract and is applied as the downpayment if you purchase.

Sorry for the derail, but my warning stands - if you stay at a Hilton Vacation Club they're going to try to recruit you. Be prepared to work for any incentives they throw at you, and ask what the catch is if anyone offers you anything for free. Those freebees = consent to be recruited.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
Noooo my precious elite qualifying balances...

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Mackieman posted:

Well, time to get back to work. First flight at 10 on the third.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Well, time to get back to work. First flight at 10 on the third.

Indeed; this will be my last year as a 1K but I do need to do a requal for Gold with UA. Thankfully that quest starts later today and my wife and I got upgraded at the four day window. :cool:

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015
So I've been using credit cards to rack up frequent flier miles. I've hit most of the low hanging us airline ones I could find, but it looks like Qantas credit cards might be a good option since they are part of the star alliance? They have a 100k point award rn at new card signup. Does anyone have experience trying to open credit cards outside their country?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Huh?
http://www.staralliance.com/en/member-airlines
They're OneWorld.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Fusion Restaurant posted:

So I've been using credit cards to rack up frequent flier miles. I've hit most of the low hanging us airline ones I could find, but it looks like Qantas credit cards might be a good option since they are part of the star alliance? They have a 100k point award rn at new card signup. Does anyone have experience trying to open credit cards outside their country?

A lot of places won't let you do it so you can't rack up a bunch of charges and refuse to pay since extradition is expensive and difficult.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Mackieman posted:

all the graphs are empty, sad

except my rollover mqm

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

except my rollover mqm

Goodbye Diamond status, it was nice knowing you. I shouldn't really be traveling much at all this year, but I hit platinum and rolled over enough to start this year silver already.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Fusion Restaurant posted:

From the application landing page:

quote:

Eligibility

To save time before you apply for your Qantas American Express Ultimate Card, it's best to make sure you can say yes to the following:

✓ I am aged over 18
✓ I am an Australian citizen or permanent resident or hold a current Business Long Stay Visa (subclass 457)
✓ I have a personal or household gross (pre-tax) annual income of $65,000 or more
✓ I have no history of bad debt or payment default

If you can say yes, go ahead. Your application takes less than 10 minutes and we may be able to give you a response in less than 60 seconds - so apply now.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

except my rollover mqm

My rollover hasn't hit yet. Everything is just empty.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

yeah i figured out I lied after I posted because I hadn't checked yet and mine aren't there

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY

Thoguh posted:

My rollover hasn't hit yet. Everything is just empty.

They usually take a bit longer to hit, usually about mid-late Jan. For some reason they're really late with my luggage tags/card this year.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Do people update their tags? I just kept my first one from 2011 - I won't replace it until I hit million miler.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Do people update their tags? I just kept my first one from 2011 - I won't replace it until I hit million miler.

pssst the diamond ones sell on ebay for like $75

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i fly airplanes posted:

pssst the diamond ones sell on ebay for like $75

are you serious

i have six years worth of unused tags

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

are you serious

i'm not sure if people will buy the old ones though. they change the designs every year. but get on it!!

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
The only possible benefit I can see is maybe getting preferential treatment for your checked baggage coming out first. Which that's cool but not $75 cool and if you travel enough for that to matter (and you check your baggage) you'll probably have status tags of your own so who the hell is buying these things?

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
The best benefit is that if your bags end up in lost and found, they'll contact the person you bought the tags from.

As lame as it is, I think it would be cool to have elite tags from defunct airlines and frequent flyer programs as collectibles in my rec room or something. I guess I'm a nerd who is still fascinated by aviation and the airline industry. I'd never put anything other than my own tags on my luggage though.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

creationist believer posted:

The best benefit is that if your bags end up in lost and found, they'll contact the person you bought the tags from.

As lame as it is, I think it would be cool to have elite tags from defunct airlines and frequent flyer programs as collectibles in my rec room or something. I guess I'm a nerd who is still fascinated by aviation and the airline industry. I'd never put anything other than my own tags on my luggage though.

i'm mad that i couldn't get any Virgin America swag pre-merger. and as much as I like Alaska, they are probably the most boring airline.. in forever..

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Barry posted:

The only possible benefit I can see is maybe getting preferential treatment for your checked baggage coming out first. Which that's cool but not $75 cool and if you travel enough for that to matter (and you check your baggage) you'll probably have status tags of your own so who the hell is buying these things?

You don't put the tags on checked bags, it's only for carry-ons.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You don't put the tags on checked bags, it's only for carry-ons.

I was basing that on the comments here: http://thepointsguy.com/2016/02/elite-luggage-tags-purpose/

Seems to work for Delta, who knows.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

creationist believer posted:

Delta calls them "brag tags"

there is absolutely no personally-identifying info on them. I actually wish they personalized them with my address or name, that would actually make me use them. so if you lose your bag, they're of no help.

The actual paper-printed bag tag scanned is what determines the priority baggage and has all the personal info.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
I didn't realize that, I don't fly Delta so I haven't seen their tags up close. My AA Executive Platinum tags have my name on them. I only put them on my carry on, but assumed they could look up my contact info if lost.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

Call me petty but my tipping point for jumping ship from United was when they stopped personalizing the 1K baggage tags and shrunk them. It was a cheapskate move as hell.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

i fly airplanes posted:

Delta calls them "brag tags"

there is absolutely no personally-identifying info on them. I actually wish they personalized them with my address or name, that would actually make me use them. so if you lose your bag, they're of no help.

The actual paper-printed bag tag scanned is what determines the priority baggage and has all the personal info.

I just use a label maker to add my skymiles number to the tag and put it on my checked luggage so that it actually serves a purpose, since they could use the number to get ahold of me. I only replace them if they wear out though, I think I've been using the same two since 2014 or so.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jan 3, 2017

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

are you serious

I believe you mean you have $450 in ebay earnings coming up.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

i fly airplanes posted:

Call me petty but my tipping point for jumping ship from United was when they stopped personalizing the 1K baggage tags and shrunk them. It was a cheapskate move as hell.

Hahahahah what is your flyertalk username

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I put one on a carry-on once but it got stolen. It helps the FA take you seriously when you ask them to please take your coat when you board, that's about the only purpose I see to it other than a stupid dickmeasuring contest.

sellouts posted:

savage

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

sellouts posted:

:colbert: DYKWIA??

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

i fly airplanes posted:

That is petty as all hell. If you're deriving that much self-worth from airline status, you may have other issues to examine.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I do like the metal tags you get for DM but I'd rather them cheap out on the tag than actual service levels.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Just did my check of 2016. 50 flights total. Less than 2015 but took way more international trips (from Australia) as I headed overseas 15 times last year :froggonk:

Already starting up again with SYD > SFO and SYD > HND in the next 4 weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

sellouts posted:

:iceburn: