Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So I am pretty sure that "most efficient weapon" stat Is either bugged or just total bs. I looked yesterday and it said it was the G2 for me, which I have used all of 5 minutes and literally did god awful with. Even then I thought "hey maybe statistically it worked out that way" but I just looked and now it's saying it is the R-97 which I haven't touched in a month. There is something super funky with that stat. I'm also 100% sure it should actually be the devotion.

The K/D stat is also super weird. Literally every time I check it, it shows a huuuge spike for "last 10 games played" like my k/d is 3x the lifetime average. It's been like this every time I check it regardless of how I've played.

I think a lot of the stats in this game are guesstimates more than anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Weapon efficiency is probably kills per minute, which would be high if you only used to gun for a round and then stowed it. If it counts AI kills, it would be even higher--even if you didn't bag any pilots with the G2 when you tried it out i bet you nailed some grunts and spectres.

edit same kind of thing for recent performance vs lifetime, an average based on a shorter snapshot will tend to be higher

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Dec 30, 2016

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah. But why would it switch from a gun I haven't used in a week to a gun I haven't used in a month since yesterday? There's been zero activity there.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?
Did you use the G2 since you last saw it in the Weapon Efficiency box? I think by just equipping it and not getting kills your kills per minute drops, so it went to the next best weapon efficiency.

e: it's a weird stat, the Archer rocket is my most efficient weapon at something like 13 kills per minute, having never used it. It counts towards Archer kills whenever I get kills by throwing back rockets with the vortex shield.

Wazzit fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Dec 30, 2016

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

You know now that I think about it, I picked one up on accident last night during a scuffle. Good point. I guess that explains that.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I heard it from like everyone ever but I am very glad that the campaign for this lived up 100% to the hype I've heard about it and am super happy with it. BT is the best robobuddy in any game in recent years. :allears:

Now I just need to figure out how to be decent at multiplayer.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Overlord K posted:

Now I just need to figure out how to be decent at multiplayer.

equip smg, buy tone

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Tone is the easiest to do well with until you find your multiplayer legs. Long range splash damage semi auto rifle, high damage homing missiles, a shield and a sonar pulse make it flexible and nasty to fight against. The core can even be used as artillery.

All the starting weapons are great, excepting the awkward Kraber and Sidewinder. Wallrun and hop everywhere, look for unexpected approaches towards enemy spawn zones and keep in mind where they'll be looking when they move out. ADS isn't always necessary and can be safely ignored if the other guy is close enough you can make out his camo. Especially with any SMG. Turrets die to a single punch, so approach from their back arc. Keep a healthy distance from Scorch, and Ronin if you can help it (if you can't learn how to make the best of your abilities). Rodeo attacks give you lots of meter, just don't approach titans head on. Run over grunts and Spectres because it's faster than turning your Titan primary on them. Always go for Reapers in your Titan for points. Arc grenades are great for stunning everything regardless of size so use them liberally, especially to screw over other pilots on your approach .

Really it's just lot's of little touches you'll learn when you play. Anyone can point gun and shoot mans. You just have to learn how to approach it.

Watch killcams too. You never know when you'll learn a cool trick from them.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Anyone got a decent run down of the LMGs? I'm really struggling to do well with the first two I have.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Flipswitch posted:

Anyone got a decent run down of the LMGs? I'm really struggling to do well with the first two I have.

Devotion is the only one worth a drat. That's the whole run down.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Flipswitch posted:

Devotion. It's probably the best gun in the game.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I'll chin them off until I unlock that one then, cheers lads.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Spitfire is pretty terrible. The L-Star is forgettable and I don't think the energy projectiles move fast enough to matter at most ranges. The Devotion melts faces as it gets more accurate and fires faster the longer you hold down the trigger, meaning it's possible to use it both ADS'd at range and fired from the hip up close.

The Devotion and Volt SMG shoot the same quick blue energy bolts so they're not hitscan weapons but the bolts fly fast enough that you'll usually be able to hit what you're aiming at unless you're trying to hit a very nimble player at a great distance. And they're both extremely high accuracy, low-recoil weapons. On my second Gen I bought them to permanently unlock them and don't regret it.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Xarbala posted:

Spitfire is pretty terrible. The L-Star is forgettable and I don't think the energy projectiles move fast enough to matter at most ranges. The Devotion melts faces as it gets more accurate and fires faster the longer you hold down the trigger, meaning it's possible to use it both ADS'd at range and fired from the hip up close.

The Devotion and Volt SMG shoot the same quick blue energy bolts so they're not hitscan weapons but the bolts fly fast enough that you'll usually be able to hit what you're aiming at unless you're trying to hit a very nimble player at a great distance. And they're both extremely high accuracy, low-recoil weapons. On my second Gen I bought them to permanently unlock them and don't regret it.

They're both hitscan, the blue tracers are purely cosmetic.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
IIRC, the Volt is hitscan with cosmetic beams, but the Devotion is not. It's weird and I haven't tested it but that's where we ended up last time it came up.

The spitfire suffers because it's a slow firing longish range weapon that can't leverage it's (honestly middling) hitting power against pilots with faster firing weapons because of it. The L-Star really isn't that hot because of the projectile speed, BUT it has acceptable hipfire accuracy, so when I use it I just treat it like a flashy GI Joe style SMG and do well enough. Better than the spitfire at least.

Edit:VVVVV the A-wall is a very situational thing. The extra punch it gives you can really help but you are vulnerable to flanking. I've seen people set up in the corner of bank rooms on Bounty Hunt to clean up enemies trying to make deposits while nearly invulnerable. It's also good for shutting down hallways and giving yourself an opportunity to zap titans a little harder in the right places. I like how it forces you to really think about how to apply it.

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Dec 31, 2016

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
I just tried A wall and I want to know if anyone has ever seen a good one because I don't believe it exists.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Imagined posted:

They're both hitscan, the blue tracers are purely cosmetic.

I could be wrong on the Volt (which is good because it's my go-to gun) but I'd need to do some tests on the Devotion again, because on Kodai I could've sworn I swung my full-accuracy fire at a stationary spectre and it took a second for the bolts to land.

Good to see that the Tifa1 Chain Gun hitscan-with-cosmetic-bullet effect is still in play though.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I don't know the source of this chart but the person who made it seems to think the Devotion is hitscan.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Tbh I pretty much only bounce between three weapons at the moment and that's the twin barrel SMG, the Hemlocke and the first grenade launcher weapon, I've unlocked more slots than I know what to do with.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I always rebuild all my custom slots even though i only use two of them and i know they'll get reset when i regen :negative:

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
The Spitfire is just bizarre. For middling damage and firerate one would hope it has some perk to make it stand out, like how it became more accurate after the first second and a half like the first game. Nope, seems to get increasingly terrible recoil the longer you hold it. This becomes anti-synergy with the massive clip since you are encouraged to keep firing but are punished for doing exactly that. Even bringing back the old behavior would be too little since lethality of more nimble guns is far greater than the first game. The Devotion can get away with dealing less immediate damage because of the crazy damage each bullet can deal, the window where the SMG guns out-damage it is relatively small. The Spitfire plain does less damage per bullet at a slower fire rate and no amount of accuracy increase would help that compared to the laser accurate hipfire some guns have.

It needs some niche, and I feel referencing the first game with the slammer would be a good choice. Either allow you to do the old style rodeo with it and melt titans, or allow it to damage titans without having to hit their weak points and deal a little more damage through weak points. Allows laying down anti-titan fire from range.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

hey welcome to the show! posted:

I just tried A wall and I want to know if anyone has ever seen a good one because I don't believe it exists.

Situationally early match I like it. Sometimes too if you're exposed and you drop it quick enough you can catch a guy shooting on you and then you drop them.

Again. Very situational but the a wall almost as a defensive item can save you.

Certain maps it's better too. Any map with lots of funnel choke points is obviously good.

soggybagel fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Dec 31, 2016

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Throw it down at the top or bottom of spawn on Crash Site with a Devotion and Gravity Star.

Have fun!

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
Had some fun matches with goons. Sorry for being so terrible. :D

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Blind Duke posted:

The Spitfire is just bizarre. For middling damage and firerate one would hope it has some perk to make it stand out, like how it became more accurate after the first second and a half like the first game. Nope, seems to get increasingly terrible recoil the longer you hold it. This becomes anti-synergy with the massive clip since you are encouraged to keep firing but are punished for doing exactly that. Even bringing back the old behavior would be too little since lethality of more nimble guns is far greater than the first game. The Devotion can get away with dealing less immediate damage because of the crazy damage each bullet can deal, the window where the SMG guns out-damage it is relatively small. The Spitfire plain does less damage per bullet at a slower fire rate and no amount of accuracy increase would help that compared to the laser accurate hipfire some guns have.

It needs some niche, and I feel referencing the first game with the slammer would be a good choice. Either allow you to do the old style rodeo with it and melt titans, or allow it to damage titans without having to hit their weak points and deal a little more damage through weak points. Allows laying down anti-titan fire from range.

It probably wouldn't be enough alone, but I wouldn't mind non-devotion LMGs tearing apart reapers and specters more than any of the other guns.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Tell me your secrets, Legion players. His close range mode seems so weak, yet long range feels so fiddly!

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Tell me your secrets, Legion players. His close range mode seems so weak, yet long range feels so fiddly!

Get a feel for the close range power shot, it's the core of Legion. Definitely unlock Hidden Compartment with credits. Don't be afraid to use power shot charges on pilots. I rarely ever go into long range range mode unless I'm fighting in the big open area on Eden.

I run the extra dash and Hidden Compartment. The extra dash really helps get in range for the power shot.

Also one thing I've noticed about Tone's shield is that it seems to be based on number of hits rather than damage. You can wear it down real fast with primary fire, but power shot will barely scratch it.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Double powershot your way to your core then hold down the button and survey the scenery while you rack up kills.

In between powershot cooldowns try not to die. Legion isn't exactly complex.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
How do you feel about loadout options? Overcore and hidden compartment seem to work pretty well together.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

What do you mean? A good A-Wall? Like a good time to use it or good strategy? This happened while I was using A-Wall:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWlYXNOVp3k

(pardon my silly dialogue with my friend I just found out how to get rid of my voice in my shared videos)

MarshyMcFly fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Dec 31, 2016

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

chumbler posted:

It probably wouldn't be enough alone, but I wouldn't mind non-devotion LMGs tearing apart reapers and specters more than any of the other guns.

Yeah, it'd be a nice consolation prize since slammer doesn't exist anymore. It was really the only point of the gun originally.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Better yet, I will show you....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SNTJt7qL5E

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

As far as I'm aware, close-range and long-range mode do the same amount of damage per bullet, but the long-range mode is more accurate at the expense of eating twice as much ammo.

Also, Ion is your hard counter. Never go against her alone.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't play with legion almost at all but I am always surprised to hear people say it's a weak Titan. I feel like it's the hardest one to counter with Tone at least. It's the only one I'll really back off from unless I'm just trying to nuke it. I guess I don't actually get killed by legion that much but I feel like that fucker will ruin your day out of nowhere more than any other titan.

Tbh I feel like legion is super powerful but the game doesn't do a good job of rewarding the player for the type of damage he does. He does a ton of damage but you are mostly going to get assists out of it.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Dec 31, 2016

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

after a day of grindin scorch and gettin the knack of him, have to second / fifth the love for the inferno shield upgrade. melting assholes at zero range is incredibly satisfying. still hate his primary gun though; would be way better as a double barrel thing

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Dash flame core and shield at pubbie Ronins is amazing
They always panic and start hopping about but not doing anything.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

New on the list of things that shouldn't have worked:

http://i.imgur.com/RbQXOy5.gifv

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Legion was the first Titan I regenned and I did it fairly quickly. It's powerful but not as dynamic as the other Titans.

It's good for holding down a lane or zone. You need to pick a little area and draw people into bad fights or go where they want to be. It's to slow in both foot speed and weapon readiness to play aggressively or even actively ambush like scorch. Very important to not get surprised as legion, you can rarely recover.

Long range so they can't just walk in on you and for pilot kills. Also good for pinging people to bait them into coming after you. short range you can shield and slowly backup while firing and power shotting which draws people in for whatever reason. They do very little to you and you can grind them into dust. Timing a PowerShot to instantly kill feels great.

I also run a dash and have decent success dooming people on my backfoot then suddenly rushing forward for an execute.

Long range is generally better for smartcore because rail shots track but it's also fun and good to stay short range so you can shotgun down a Titan you doomed while the core is running and then smartcore goose the pilot.

It's also very useful to buddy up with another Titan because it gives you more eyes and time to position and spin up with someone else providing a threat. And you benefit them because your DPS often forces people to disengage and then die while being chased, or just die in a cloud of bullets.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

If I remember right from one of those Titanfall 2 Mythbuster videos, Legion (like pilots) can shoot through other friendly Titans. So a Legion paired with a Ronin can just go ham while the Ronin draws all of the fire by being in the enemies face without worrying about blocking shots.

Not one hundred percent this is still a thing though, sounds like something they'd patch out pretty quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It's pretty hilarious that the real melee titan is Scorch, the real sniper is Legion, the real tank is Ronin, and the real skirmisher is Ion.