Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Hypervigilance is the only way to go, so I am overcome with anxiety and dread anytime I see someone preparing to enter the road I am travelling on, or anywhere near me, or on any potential course that could bring them near me. It's a pro strat.

Eifert Posting posted:

Someone needs to install a program that tracks the percentage of turns made without signalling and publicly shames people who drop below a certain percentage.

Maybe an "I'm a shitbird" lighted sign in the rear window of every car which lights if % drops below 7099? We have the technology.

Fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Eifert Posting posted:

Someone needs to install a program that tracks the percentage of turns made without signalling and publicly shames people who drop below a certain percentage.

Maybe an "I'm a shitbird" lighted sign in the rear window of every car which lights if % drops below 70? We have the technology.

Not to be that guy (I'm going to be that guy), but how would it differentiate in cars without GPS that the turn was made because of a curve in the road (or other action involving turning steering wheel and requiring no turn signal) vs them making a turn?

killa-pope
May 21, 2008

iospace posted:

Not to be that guy (I'm going to be that guy), but how would it differentiate in cars without GPS that the turn was made because of a curve in the road (or other action involving turning steering wheel and requiring no turn signal) vs them making a turn?

Have it only count turns that involve turning the steering wheel x degrees or more. It won't be perfect, but if you're signaling most of your turns then you won't drop below the arbitrary line based on occasional sharp road bends.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

iospace posted:

there's already lane departure warnings in cars that do half of this though, so I guess cameras

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

killa-pope posted:

Have it only count turns that involve turning the steering wheel x degrees or more. It won't be perfect, but if you're signaling most of your turns then you won't drop below the arbitrary line based on occasional sharp road bends.

Also discount turns in reverse then, and that works for the most part.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

How about we just give all cars a center turn signal, to indicate when you're going straight. Go through enough intersections without signaling at all, and it activates the taser built into the driver's seat.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Eifert Posting posted:

Maybe an "I'm a shitbird" lighted sign in the rear window of every car which lights if % drops below 70? We have the technology.

Make it so the turn signal lever has to be engaged before you can fully turn the wheel left or right. Or take the worst offenders and make them drive the worst, most unsafe death traps so everyone knows who to avoid, and if they gently caress up and get in an accident, there's a low chance they'll survive it. Everyone wins.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I wouldn't implement something like a turnsignal twatwagon warning without camera/lane departure system involvement, no way you'll get it right. Roads bend out here, and also interstate lane changes without signaling are just as bad.

Mariana Horchata posted:

ahhh savour it friend... :)

I spoke too soon. Idiots on i95 this morning. And one last night too for that matter.

Cliffs: I'm rolling along in the middle lane of i90, slowly catching up on a car. There is a semi truck in the right lane. The semi abruptly brakes and cuts me off, for no reason (right lane was visibly empty) and starts semitruck-tailgating the person I was catching up on. I avoided a collision, blipped the horn as I went by the truck, and he laid on the horn and flicked his high beams at me repeatedly in response. gently caress you too, apparently BBX hires lovely drivers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDRDTzBgnDg

The guy in front of me moves right to undertake the black BMW and carbon VW faffing about in the left lane. Then I do. He fails to accelerate to pass, and just then the VW decides to get out of the way of the BMW (who doesn't react at all, still hogging the left lane) cutting off the guy who was in front of me. As a result, we got to stare at the back of their cars for several more miles.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkS-z20kdW0

Then this genius slammed on the brakes right at the last minute while already in the exit-only lane (you don't get there by accident in this case) and then jumped out at the last second.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQh3fTY5Ut0

I can only imagine what thrills await me on the highway tonight!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I have an easy solution that we all overlooked. Put all the non signal people in BMWs.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Make it so the turn signal lever has to be engaged before you can fully turn the wheel left or right. Or take the worst offenders and make them drive the worst, most unsafe death traps so everyone knows who to avoid, and if they gently caress up and get in an accident, there's a low chance they'll survive it. Everyone wins.

This is getting "ultimate solution"y

That isn't a judgement, just an observation.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

iospace posted:

I have an easy solution that we all overlooked. Put all the non signal people in BMWs.

It would appear there are only a finite number of BMWs in the known universe, as there are enough drivers who don't signal to drive all of them plus other cars.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Eifert Posting posted:

This is getting "ultimate solution"y

That isn't a judgement, just an observation.

Around where I live it's almost like they've already put it in place :lol: cars that would immediately fail inspection by Stevie Wonder and people getting herky-jerky between lanes because they can't make up their minds or didn't look. I didn't think it was possible for a 25 year old rusted out Ranger that sounded like a cacophony of farts from a vuvuzela to have "in transit" stickers, but here we are.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

killa-pope posted:

That wouldn't count non-signalled lane changes, which are IME the real problem.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Eifert Posting posted:

I'm okay with this.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
Drove home from the airport earlier this NYE (nearly here in my timezone!) and the journey was much calmer than normal - everyone indicating to overtake and sitting in the appropriate lanes otherwise, nobody going too fast or too slow, and barely any freight trucks to get stuck behind on the one-lane sections. Bliss! I can't remember the last time I drove any significant distance on Dec 31, I thought it'd be much worse.

And obviously the solution to the indicator problem is to have the steering wheel trigger them immediately when turned. To allow other drivers time to react, add a three-second lag time before it has an effect on the steering system. This would also give indecisive drivers a chance to change their mind, and needing to see three seconds of road ahead would improve driving behaviour in poor visibility conditions. There's literally no downside!

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Until a small child or animal darts in front of your vehicle and you're picking picking bits of little timmy/rover out of your grill.

bend
Dec 31, 2012
Just set it up so the airbags fire if you turn the wheel past x degrees without signalling. There'll be a short period with a much higher road toll then after that not only will everyone use the indicators, they'll also give you plenty of space. An added bonus is that the airbags are almost certainly deployed before you crash, enabling you to just relax and let it all happen.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

bend posted:

Just set it up so the airbags fire if you turn the wheel past x degrees without signalling. There'll be a short period with a much higher road toll then after that not only will everyone use the indicators, they'll also give you plenty of space. An added bonus is that the airbags are almost certainly deployed before you crash, enabling you to just relax and let it all happen.

*Takata tugs at their collar nervously*

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

bend posted:

I, too, signal while going through roundabouts, parking my car, driving on twisty back roads, and using drivethroughs. :jerkbag:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

How about instead of using technology to fix the problem we put some actual standards into driver licensing and have enforcement that does more than go for the easy speed traps.

bend
Dec 31, 2012

xzzy posted:

How about instead of using technology to fix the problem we put some actual standards into driver licensing and have enforcement that does more than go for the easy speed traps.

see this sort of thinking is just unrealistic, if we go around letting people learn actual skills and having decent enforcement then only people who can actually drive will be allowed on the roads. What do you expect everyone else to do, learn to drive? that shits for racecar drivers isn't it?

kastein posted:

I, too, signal while going through roundabouts, parking my car, driving on twisty back roads, and using drivethroughs. :jerkbag:

You probably should signal for turning into a parking spot, mate.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I spent about ten minutes yesterday sitting at a red left turn arrow that wouldn't turn green. What's the problem with the light you ask?
The idiot at the front of the left-turn column didn't stop at the line but sat on the crosswalk waiting for the light instead. This confused the light into not turning green. So after one light cycle, idiot at the front decides to gas through the turn right as the straight lanes turn green.
That worked for him but not me or the guy in front of me. To absolutely no one's surprise, guy in front of me then pulled into the crosswalk and away from the stop line :downs:
Guess what! The green turn light didn't come on again. So another cycle had to go by, with idiot #2 repeating the same "gas through the turn before the straight lanes can accelerate" move.
I had to sit at the actual stop line for another cycle and the green turn arrow came on, allowing me and the column of cars behind me to go through.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I have a light between me and work that has low traffic in the direction I have to go, but has a sensor that doesn't pick up my motorcycle. It didn't pick up the VFR, and now it doesn't pick up the FJR either. So if nobody comes up behind me I can sit there for literally forever because it will not change without the sensor tripping.

Fortunately PA law allows you to just go through an intersection like that.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

PCOS Bill posted:

I have a light between me and work that has low traffic in the direction I have to go, but has a sensor that doesn't pick up my motorcycle. It didn't pick up the VFR, and now it doesn't pick up the FJR either. So if nobody comes up behind me I can sit there for literally forever because it will not change without the sensor tripping.

My brother would do that too for the same reason. I know Illinois passed a law allowing that outside of Chicago as well

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

PCOS Bill posted:

Depending on the type of sensor, sometimes it can be tripped by shutting off your engine and restarting, or so I've heard.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
neodymium magnets attached to the bottom of your bike might help too.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

bend posted:

You probably should signal for turning into a parking spot, mate.

I meant in parking lots, not parallel parking on the street...

bend
Dec 31, 2012

kastein posted:

I meant in parking lots, not parallel parking on the street...

and yet people still like to know that you're about to make a turn....

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

Making cars incorporal so you literally can't have an accident is far more realistically possible than even the most elementary police reform in America.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

bend posted:

When you're cranking the wheel to adjust after you've pulled in?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

bend posted:

I am rolling along at 5mph in a parking lot and just braked 15' from an empty spot. It should be pretty loving clear.

Also, what that guy said ^ and do you want us to signal when cranking the wheel to back out of a spot too? Just face it, your idea was poo poo and that happens to everyone occasionally. Most people realize when they were wrong and drop it, though.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Hey I usually agree with you 100% kastein but in this case I think it is helpful when people use turn signals to indicate they found a parking spot in a lot and are about to stop to maneuver in. Obviously not while you're in the spot.

Sometimes in crowded parking lots it's not possible to see spots until you are very close, so you may need to stop suddenly, even at 5mph.

It's also courteous to use an indicator to tell others that you're waiting for someone to back out of a spot, and you're claiming it.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jan 1, 2017

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I guess that makes sense. Never seen anyone do it, but this is massachusetts we're talking about :v:

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
I habitually use my turn signals whenever I end up turning because drivers are stupid.

I will use my turn signal when i'm in a turn-only lane, because drivers are stupid.

I prefer to get laughed at rather than surprise some shitdick who didn't think i'd be turning in an obvious way

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

nitrogen posted:

I habitually use my turn signals whenever I end up turning because drivers are stupid.

I will use my turn signal when i'm in a turn-only lane, because drivers are stupid.

I prefer to get laughed at rather than surprise some shitdick who didn't think i'd be turning in an obvious way

Yeah I'll usually have my turn signal on in a turn-only lane, but that's mainly because I'm a considerate person who actually uses their turn signal to change lanes into said turn only lane, and that's not a big enough turn for it to auto-disable afterwards. I don't know why so many people think telling the drivers around them that they'll soon be slowing down and merging into another lane isn't important but then once they've moved into a lane where the only thing they can possibly do is turn, then they turn on their signal so everyone knows.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I hate people who late signal, especially on 65 mph highways with crossroads

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

nitrogen posted:

I've used my signals when following a curve in the road more than once.

When I was much younger, I'd pick my mom up from work and her coworker commented that I must be a new driver because I used my signal when pulling into a space. Nearly 20 years later, I still do that.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

that's not a parking spot, jerk :argh:

bend
Dec 31, 2012

kastein posted:

I am rolling along at 5mph in a parking lot and just braked 15' from an empty spot. It should be pretty loving clear.

Also, what that guy said ^ and do you want us to signal when cranking the wheel to back out of a spot too? Just face it, your idea was poo poo and that happens to everyone occasionally. Most people realize when they were wrong and drop it, though.

nitrogen posted:

What nitrogen said kastein, drivers are stupid. I don't really give a poo poo if you're doing 5 mile an hour or 100 km by the way, use your turn signal before you make a turn, it's basic road safety.
You might have missed the mild sarcasm in my idea, as much I'm for the reduction of stupidity via darwinism I don't particularly want people crashing everyone time they go around a curve.

bend fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jan 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

Powershift posted:

that's not a parking spot, jerk :argh:

To me, the car kinda looks like "What did I do to deserve this?"