Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

Was this Pixel from someone on XDA

Is it running the "end of days" ROM?

(Or whatever that horrific thing is)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

They could also be referring to split screen.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Ragaduffin posted:

Could it be action launcher is installed somehow? I think I recall it having similar sounding panels.

Yea this is what it sounds like to me

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Maybe the sidebar is a volume rocker that makes a loud, buglike clacking sound and that goon is just terrified.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

Maybe the sidebar is a volume rocker that makes a loud, buglike clacking sound and that goon is just terrified.

2CLKY5ME :supaburn:

Eelface
Jul 23, 2002

Blue Train posted:

Yea this is what it sounds like to me

Yeah thanks for the help guys it was Action launcher with a new pixel setting. I never had it popup on my Nexus 6, so I thought it was 7.1 related.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
My phone's location awareness seems to have completely lost its poo poo. (2015 Moto X Pure).

Starting a little over a month ago, my route/time home from work in the Google Now card would show the correct origin (my work), but would have about a 2 mile zig-zag literal backtrack shown, with an extra 10 minutes travel time, and a destination a couple blocks from my house. If I tapped on the card, it would show a normal route and time. This finally stopped happening about 2 weeks ago.

Then I started getting google rewards surveys for tons of places I've never been to. I'm still getting these and I'm paranoid that Google assumes I'm lying by this point, because I keep selecting "none of the above".

Today, at my house, with WiFi turned on, I took a photo of my cats. Google helpfully asked if I'd like to post it at a motorcycle import shop about 3 miles from here :psyduck:

Location services are on in high accuracy mode, and I never have any issues at all with any apps that use the GPS. WTF is going on here?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
For those looking for a lightweight Pixel case, don't get one of these, unless I just got a defective one. It causes some pretty noticeable blurring/focus problems on images, especially away from the center of images. I was depositing checks this evening and while the viewfinder image looked great, once I snapped the picture the image was pretty blurry. I tried it with the regular camera (rather than the one in my bank's app) and it wasn't nearly as bad, but still fairly noticeable.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

hooah posted:

For those looking for a lightweight Pixel case, don't get one of these, unless I just got a defective one. It causes some pretty noticeable blurring/focus problems on images, especially away from the center of images. I was depositing checks this evening and while the viewfinder image looked great, once I snapped the picture the image was pretty blurry. I tried it with the regular camera (rather than the one in my bank's app) and it wasn't nearly as bad, but still fairly noticeable.

That doesn't make any sense. Does the case infringe on the lens or autofocus sensors?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I have one and haven't noticed any camera issues.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

hooah posted:

Do you use PNC Virtual Wallet? On the 5X I had some major issues with that app neglecting the autofocus. I had to try a million times before I got a reasonable-looking shot. I haven't tried on my Pixel yet, but the same might be happening.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Nah, I'm with USAA. It doesn't look like it impinges on the camera, but maybe like there's some sort of diffraction going on.

Tomorrow if I remember I'll post some comparison shots using the camera app.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

The USAA update removing the ability to manually capture an image is poo poo and it's basically useless now when trying to deposit checks

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Hmm, I guess I have to gotten that one yet, since I could (and had to) enable manual capture. I'll see if I can forward that feedback to the mobile folks, if there isn't much on the Play store page.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Raised by Hamsters posted:

My phone's location awareness seems to have completely lost its poo poo. (2015 Moto X Pure).

Starting a little over a month ago, my route/time home from work in the Google Now card would show the correct origin (my work), but would have about a 2 mile zig-zag literal backtrack shown, with an extra 10 minutes travel time, and a destination a couple blocks from my house. If I tapped on the card, it would show a normal route and time. This finally stopped happening about 2 weeks ago.

Then I started getting google rewards surveys for tons of places I've never been to. I'm still getting these and I'm paranoid that Google assumes I'm lying by this point, because I keep selecting "none of the above".

Today, at my house, with WiFi turned on, I took a photo of my cats. Google helpfully asked if I'd like to post it at a motorcycle import shop about 3 miles from here :psyduck:

Location services are on in high accuracy mode, and I never have any issues at all with any apps that use the GPS. WTF is going on here?

Cricket, I've noticed, will do some wack-rear end poo poo with whatever gets sent to websites who pull location from you but that's probably the IP

torturemyballs
Feb 25, 2015

Blue Train posted:

The USAA update removing the ability to manually capture an image is poo poo and it's basically useless now when trying to deposit checks

wtf, that was the only mode that ever worked for me

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

:confused: Manual worked fine for me last night, it was the auto-capture I couldn't get to work anymore (but also I was depositing awkward shaped checks so that could have been it too).

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Good news (I guess)! It seems the app just doesn't like the Pixel's camera, as I got the same results without the case.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I'm (again) super impressed with the Pixel's camera. Concert video not only looks pretty good (dark, light show), but it recorded pretty decent audio when the sound was painfully loud in person.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQltfWFYFuo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7bcKUJGzho

Also TSO's show rocks. Needs fewer vocal tracks, but its an impressive show.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Blue Train posted:

Auto photos for USAA deposits have always worked better for me than manual and still work on my and my wife's Pixel XLs

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
You guys ever look at old phone reviews?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFRl2oOqDsk

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Hey, other than battery life, the gnex wasn't that bad. (the battery life was terrible)

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Wacky Delly posted:

Hey, other than battery life, the gnex wasn't that bad. (the battery life was terrible)

Well that and the screen, which looked like the picture was printed on tissue paper. Oh and the sketchy cell reception.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I liked the Gnex and was only upset by its speed (and battery life) when I went back to it for a week earlier this year. Really miss the form factor.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Uthor posted:

I liked the Gnex and was only upset by its speed (and battery life) when I went back to it for a week earlier this year. Really miss the form factor.

The Gnex is a nice device :colbert:

So is the Moto G4 Play, at least from playing around with it for the past few hours. It doesn't feel like a cheap phone, it's actually pretty responsive. I mean, the camera is not great but good enough for generic cell phone pictures, you'll need an SD card for tunes/podcasts/movies, but it feels faster than my '13 Moto X. And the increased size isn't bothering me so far. I mean I'll probably still jump on a Pixel when they come down in price or the P2 comes out, but so far this phone is fine.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

monster on a stick posted:

So is the Moto G4 Play, at least from playing around with it for the past few hours. It doesn't feel like a cheap phone, it's actually pretty responsive. I mean, the camera is not great but good enough for generic cell phone pictures, you'll need an SD card for tunes/podcasts/movies, but it feels faster than my '13 Moto X. And the increased size isn't bothering me so far. I mean I'll probably still jump on a Pixel when they come down in price or the P2 comes out, but so far this phone is fine.

Weird how the specs for the Moto X are in some ways higher than the G4 Play. (Adreno 320 vs 306) but the quad core of the 410 might make the normal usage a little better.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

It'll be awhile before I get a new phone, but I'm currently 99% sure I'll be getting the Moto G4 Play when I do.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Kheldarn posted:

It'll be awhile before I get a new phone, but I'm currently 99% sure I'll be getting the Moto G4 Play when I do.

OK thanks for the update

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

It'll be a while until I get a new phone, but I'm pretty sure what I'm going to get hasn't been released, possibly even thought of yet.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Powers posted:

It'll be a while until I get a new phone, but I'm pretty sure what I'm going to get hasn't been released, possibly even thought of yet.

I have been thinking about a new phone. I often do. I probably won't get one for a while though.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
I like my phone, but the Pixel seems like a huge improvement. However, I can't afford it.

Just in case people were wondering. :)

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Kheldarn posted:

Thanks for keeping us in the loop about your meager financial situation

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

My father is cheap as poo poo and recently bought the g4 play. I set it up for him and it's actually really good for basic phone things

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Blue Train posted:

My father is cheap as poo poo and recently bought the g4 play. I set it up for him and it's actually really good for basic phone things
But what will his next phone be?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

monster on a stick posted:

That's basically this thread's equivalent to 'Hitler did nothing wrong'

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Tunga posted:

But what will his next phone be?

There won't be a next phone. Financial future is staked on this phone.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Played with my Nexus One yesterday. In a lot of ways I'd like that to be my next phone. All these years later and there's still not been anything as good for moving cursor in text as that cool trackball with the cool light.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

Played with my Nexus One yesterday. In a lot of ways I'd like that to be my next phone. All these years later and there's still not been anything as good for moving cursor in text as that cool trackball with the cool light.

They could probably make something like the HTC Passion version of that (where you swipe over a touch spot to move the cursor) on the Nav Bar, thinking of it.

They could do lots of things with the Nav Bar that would be nice.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Dec 31, 2016

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Dragging the spacebar to move the cursor works and is nice but I feel like it could still be improved

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Never change OnePlus.

They promised 7.0 to the 3 and 3T before the end of the year. So, what do they do?

First beta went live this afternoon for the 3T and they are saying they are going to roll stable builds to everyone starting this evening.

Huh?

http://www.androidcentral.com/oneplus-3t-nougat-beta-now-available-company-misses-update-deadline