Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Off topic, but any advice for how I can marry a Space Doctor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Liquid Communism posted:

Part of the issue is that there -aren't- a lot of old crappy houses. Most of the old houses that were crap have fallen down or been torn down by now, and the new houses that -are- crap have people trying to sell them who are vastly upside down on their mortgages + lines of equity credit so sale prices aren't dropping.

Also, at least in the Bay Area, a lot of supply is being purposely taken off the market by people buying it as investment property, turning it into short-term rentals (see this great piece about that in Bloomberg today) or just tearing it down to make room for more profitable office complexes.

Baby Babbeh fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Dec 27, 2016

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
And since it's the Bay Area, building affordable housing is basically illegal so it's certainly not getting replaced

(specifically because people want prices to keep going up up up and also having homes for "poors" next door will lower property values or neighbourhood culture or the view or whatever)

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

RandomPauI posted:

move to galveston, dayton or rochester (mn). those are the only civilian space medicine residency programs in the usa and they're your best best for meeting a space doctor who is single

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

SC2 is still doing pretty well, I think, although the LoL esports scene eclipsed the hell out of it.

SC2 is very dead and only going to get deader with time. The match fixing scandal last year killed what little interest it had left just as the savior saga killed brood war.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Fortune has a big honkin' article about startup fraud. It leads with Vinod Khosla shaming a reporter for having doubts about Hampton Creek.

quote:

The startup community has a set response to this kind of news, and it sounds a lot like Khosla’s sniping. Blindly defend; it’s us against them.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

Speaking of Vin Kholsa, did he ever get those poors off his beach?

Edit: Looks like no, but he wants the state to pay him $30 million to build an easement over his land.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Vinod-Khosla-wants-30-million-for-Martins-Beach-6847689.php

quote:

“The $30 million figure is rather amusing,” said Gary Redenbacher, a lawyer for Friends of Martins Beach, which says the state Constitution makes all beaches public property. “I don't know if anybody would really take it seriously. He bought 89 acres for $32 million and is asking for $30 million for an easement over a road that is 2,500 feet long. That’s approximately 1 acre.”

Baby Babbeh fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Dec 28, 2016

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Fortune has a big honkin' article about startup fraud. It leads with Vinod Khosla shaming a reporter for having doubts about Hampton Creek.

"The rich people buying into Uber’s latest round of funding, for example, got no financial information beyond a set of risk factors, according to reports."

There's no loving way that is true, right? It sounds more like an indiegogo project than prudent investing.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Shifty Pony posted:

There's no loving way that is true, right? It sounds more like an indiegogo project than prudent investing.

It's called "gambling", look it up.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

ultramiraculous posted:

You marry one Space-PhD Lady and now you're calling out entire fields of study?

Hey now. I was an autistic STEM lord way before the wedding!

RandomPauI posted:

I met mine by shitposting on something awful. :smug:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Fortune posted:

Three-quarters of the 150 early-stage startups he has investigated have pitched investors with misleading or purposely incomplete information, like identifying as “customers” people who are merely using a free trial, or taking full credit for past projects they played only a small role in.

Ho. ly. crap. Now, admittedly, investors who use due-diligence investigators may be unrepresentative of investors and investments overall, but even unrepresentative, three-quarters is a lot.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

Again, there are lies, drat lies, and pitch decks.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I guess I wouldn't care if my startup investment was a house of cards as long as their pitch decks were believable enough for me to make a profit off another sucker later.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

I'm pretty sure if you pitch was good enough you could get people to invest in your business of arbitrage of international postal coupons without anyone batting an eye.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

the talent deficit posted:

move to galveston, dayton or rochester (mn). those are the only civilian space medicine residency programs in the usa and they're your best best for meeting a space doctor who is single

...Why the fuckballs would they put anything in Dayton, never mind this?

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Ohio has a rich history of being a key part of the US aerospace industry.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

GreyjoyBastard posted:

it's colocated with wright-patterson air force base

the one in galveston is next to nasa

rochester is the mayo clinic who i guess just need to have every residency

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

Defense and aerospace is always based in lovely parts of the country because putting people to work building weapon systems we don't need is the only form of government stimulus Republican politicians will allow.

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

Baby Babbeh posted:

Defense and aerospace is always based in lovely parts of the country because putting people to work building weapon systems we don't need is the only form of government stimulus Republican politicians will allow.

There's also lots of cheap land for testing and historically, it was too far from anyone else to get bombed eg. Wichita and airplane factories.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

fortune posted:

So inexperienced people are handed giant piles of money and told to flout traditions, break rules, and employ magical thinking. What could possibly go wrong? “We hope that entrepreneurs bend the rules but don’t break them,” McClure says. “You know the saying ‘There’s a fine line between genius and insanity’? There’s probably a fine line between entrepreneurship and criminality.”

No, there isn't. It's a very broad, clearly defined line. With a barbed wire fence and guard dogs and sniper towers.

What we're seeing is venture capitalists telling idiots that they can make it across because they're super duper special, because if only one of them makes it through they can amortize the loss from the other idiots.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Arsenic Lupin posted:

This article was pulled.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
Still up on venturebeat.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

When I first clicked the link from here it was pulled, but after following the link to Fortune from Venture Beat it worked again. And now when I click the link from here, it works. Mysterious.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

A Man With A Plan posted:

There's also lots of cheap land for testing and historically, it was too far from anyone else to get bombed eg. Wichita and airplane factories.
Also, there was a time when ground-based refueling was a thing. But yeah, earmarks and Congressional influence also play into it.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
If you're an android user and a big ol' nerd, you have probably heard of Cyanogenmod. Well, a while back some real dickhead convinced the guy who wrote it to turn it into a startup.

http://business.financialpost.com/e...lds-tech-giants

quote:

It’s a bold prediction and a difficult mission. Yet, Cyanogen has some significant ammunition at its disposal.

For one, it has a good supply of cash, having raised a total of $115 million, including a recent round of $85 million that valued the company near $1 billion. Cyanogen’s investor list includes Twitter, Qualcomm, Rupert Murdoch, and VC firms such as Benchmark, Andreessen Horowitz, and Redpoint Ventures.

Billion dollar valuation! Andreessen Horowitz! What could possible go wrong?

For a while, things looked good. They partnered early with OnePlus, whose first product was a real big breakout hit and had Cyanogen written all over it. Great news, right?

Well, that spicy Indian smartphone market was just too juicy to pass up, I guess. Cyanogen CEO Kirt McMaster (i did not make up that name) decides seemingly out of the blue to blow up their contract with OnePlus over email. Turns out they had another deal going with Micromax, an Indian cellphone provider, to provide exclusive rights to CyanogenOS in that region, which would have conflicted with their agreement with OnePlus.

As if that isn't bad enough, due to some complex legal shenanigans, this new contract allows Micromax to get an injunction against OnePlus that locks them out of the entire Indian market. Whoops!

When asked for comment, this gem erupted from Cyanogen:

http://www.androidcentral.com/steve-kondik-india-micromax-and-oneplus

quote:

Companies need to make money in order to survive, and Cyanogen Inc. is very much a company now — so if money isn't changing hands through licensing agreements, how are these guys making money? According to Kondik, they aren't.

"We're still a venture-funded company," Kondik said. "There's still no focus on monetization, and when those plans do fall in to place it will be once the potential market is much larger. This is the most important thing I hope people understand — we're still in it for the same reasons that the project got started around. We want to bring this new experience that users can help mold and shape as we go. It would be completely idiotic to stray from that."

Well, after all this fun and rejecting a billion dollar buyout offer from Google, where are our scrappy heroes now?

http://www.universityherald.com/articles/57773/20161229/cyanogen-inc-shuts-down-cyanogenmod-lineage-os-continues-great-legacy.htm
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/07/report-cyanogen-inc-to-layoff-20-of-workers-may-pivot-to-app-development/

Kondik walked away this week, taking their entire product with him, and they laid off half their staff.

whoops.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
The Cyanogen story is like everything hilariously dumb and wrong with tech wrapped up in one little package. Smoke and mirrors.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
You'd think Marc Andreessen, of all people, would have the sense not to write a check to a scrappy little upstart bragging that it's going to "put a bullet through Google's head." You'd think he would know how that plays out.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Does a16z even require unanimity among partners to make an investment? I've never thought to ask.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

the talent deficit posted:

rochester is the mayo clinic who i guess just need to have every residency

It's not a particularly well developed program, and their clinical aerospace medicine dept. is rolled in with occupational health. IIRC they only have like 3-4 attendings who have the credentials/experience to say they training in aerospace med.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Subjunctive posted:

I thought he spent a lot of his time making billions of dollars.

Well allegedly so did Mark Nordlicht, until he didn't.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/jack/status/814925877532303360

earlier he responded to someone saying less nazis with "doing our best with our policies!!"

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Welcome to Uber Safe Rides where a driver can beat you nearly to death and Uber will refuse to release information to the police!

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/01/man-alleges-his-uber-driver-refused-to-take-him-home-then-beat-him-up/

ArsTechnica posted:

Man claims Uber driver “left him in a pool of blood” after refusing trip
"Driver stomped… Plaintiff in the face and head while he was already unconscious."

A New Jersey man sued Uber on Thursday for negligence, fraud, and assault, among other accusations. In the lawsuit, Joseph Fusco claimed that he was "nearly beaten to death” after his driver refused to drive him from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, to his home in Cherry Hill, New Jersey, about nine miles away.

Uber has faced legal battles previously over alleged incidents of violence perpetrated by drivers against passengers.

According to the 34-page civil complaint, on the evening of December 22, 2016, Fusco was attending a private party at a Philadelphia sports bar with his colleagues from Allied Universal and other public safety officials from the University of Pennsylvania.

By 11:00pm, Fusco decided to go home and called for an Uber but apparently did not put in his destination immediately. After the driver asked where he was going, Fusco replied: “Jersey.” When the driver responded: “I am not driving to New Jersey,” Fusco repeated his request a second time.

As Fusco alleged:

The Uber Driver then opened the door, exited the vehicle and walked around the back of the car. The Uber Driver then opened the front passenger door and dragged Plaintiff out of the front seat by his coat collar. The Uber Driver severely beat Plaintiff and left him in a pool of blood on the pavement in the freezing cold. The Uber Driver stomped and kicked Plaintiff in the face and head while he was already unconscious, which upon information and belief, is captured on surveillance video.

Fusco was eventually found unconscious by two bystanders, who called 911 and had him taken to a nearby hospital.

The complaint alleges that Uber has refused to provide authorities with relevant information of the driver as part of the investigation into this case. The lawsuit also claims that Uber makes a “deceitful pledge to rider safety” by not adequately conducting background checks on its drivers and by not fully cooperating with law enforcement.

Uber spokeswoman Sophie Schmidt told Ars that the company would not “comment on active litigation.” However, she did confirm that the rider reported the incident to the company on December 23 and added that the driver was “immediately removed.”

Schmidt also noted that the company had been in “ongoing contact with law enforcement since they reached out last month and are fully supporting their investigation,” but did not elaborate further.

Fusco’s attorney, Matthew Luber, did not immediately respond to Ars’ request for comment.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine
uber's resistance to proper driver background checks is one of their more egregious stances, I think. Are they that desperate for drivers?

I'm surprised there haven't been more lawsuits related to it.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Cool that a guy named Luber is a lawyer suing Uber.

Medium is laying off 50 people and closing New York and DC offices. They've run into that old problem of forgetting that they need to make money, which you can read between the buzzwords in the post

quote:

However, in building out this model, we realized we didn’t yet have the right solution to the big question of driving payment for quality content. We had started scaling up the teams to sell and support products that were, at best, incremental improvements on the ad-driven publishing model, not the transformative model we were aiming for.

https://blog.medium.com/renewing-mediums-focus-98f374a960be#.ftnviyded

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

axeil posted:

Welcome to Uber Safe Rides where a driver can beat you nearly to death and Uber will refuse to release information to the police!

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/01/man-alleges-his-uber-driver-refused-to-take-him-home-then-beat-him-up/

How in the gently caress do you "refuse to provide authorities with relevant information of the driver as part of the investigation into this case"? I'm not a legal expert here, but wouldn't police just get a judge to sign off on a warrant and then use that legal authority to get the information? What the hell is going on here?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Solkanar512 posted:

How in the gently caress do you "refuse to provide authorities with relevant information of the driver as part of the investigation into this case"? I'm not a legal expert here, but wouldn't police just get a judge to sign off on a warrant and then use that legal authority to get the information? What the hell is going on here?

I think it's like this:

cops: hey one of your drivers beat someone up, can you please provide us info voluntarily to help us solve this horrible crime like basically any other non-involved human being/organization would?
uber: :smug: get a warrant OR oh he was an "independent contractor" so we don't have to give you poo poo. ask his "company" for it.
cops: okay go gently caress yourself. we will spend extra time and money to get your warrant, rear end in a top hat since you are not cooperating.
victim: :smith:

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
How much longer till all these business that make literally no money go under? Like, it amazes me Twitter, Facebook, Uber and the like stay open so long while operating in the red.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Covok posted:

How much longer till all these business that make literally no money go under? Like, it amazes me Twitter, Facebook, Uber and the like stay open so long while operating in the red.

:confused: facebook is profitable and twitter could be if they made some changes. facebook made like four billion in 2015. uber's the big exception here because they're trying to drive out competitors from the taxi market by severely subsidizing their services with VC money. even amazon generates a ton of revenue but practically no profit because they put nearly all earnings back into infrastructure for their giant robot warehouses, hosting centers, etc.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Blut posted:

uber's resistance to proper driver background checks is one of their more egregious stances, I think. Are they that desperate for drivers?

I'm surprised there haven't been more lawsuits related to it.

It seems to have more to do with Uber just not wishing to capitulate to any regulation at all rather than any sort of need. This is just like them not filing for an autonomous vehicle permit. They can easily afford to pay it and there's no good reason for them not to. They just don't want to set the precedent that they're willing to actually oblige local authorities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Covok posted:

How long till all the wealth is redistributed and/or people stop falling for sales pitches?