Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Iceclaw posted:

What kind of setup works? I assume it involve guiding chips in some capacity?

Basically. Guidance Chips are pretty much mandatory except on things with Proton Rockets, like the Inquisitor (who is not seen often for reasons not related to ordnance) or A-wings. Bossk with Zuckuss Crew, Crack Shot, and Homing Missile plus Guidance Chips and Glitterstim has been putting in work around here, fully capable of insta-killing anything with 3 EHP and 3 greens or less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Iceclaw posted:

What kind of setup works? I assume it involve guiding chips in some capacity?

Pretty much Guidance Chips. Occasionally Long Range Scanners.

Homing Missiles are great.

But it's not something that you expect to have a whole list do - more some spice/alpha punch. Because most ordnance ships aren't closers.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

banned from Starbucks posted:

2-0 with FenZuckMan. I missed playing AdSensor BRing ships. I think i need to be more aggressive with manaroo though.

I feel like I've asked this before, but what role does Zukuss serve? The meta, myself included, love Teroch in his place for stripping tokens. Is the extra equal die really everything? Or are you adding something else to him?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Slandible posted:

I feel like I've asked this before, but what role does Zukuss serve? The meta, myself included, love Teroch in his place for stripping tokens. Is the extra equal die really everything? Or are you adding something else to him?

He's actually the most versatile ship in the list. It's deceptive. He can do everything.

Offensively, he's rolling 4 highly accurate dice every shot. Five at range one. Fenn often blasts the tokens off a target, then Zuckuss finishes them off. And you don't have to get to range 1 for it to work.

He's a failsafe for focuses across the list. Even if everyone bumps, Advanced Sensors generates focus for everyone. (In fact, I deliberately bump ALL THE TIME to get better shots.)

Unlike Teroch, he can't be killed in one shot. I got away from Teroch because two squishy ships without Palpatine is bad. Plus he has the Evade action. It keeps him alive longer than most expect, especially in the endgame.

Advanced Sensors + Barrel Roll gets him into all sorts of unexpected locations. He's squirrely as gently caress. He can block, and he can arc dodge (especially if you have an intel agent on Manaroo).

Few people realize what he does for the list as a whole. Almost everyone I play goes for Fenn or Manaroo first, which makes me super happy.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Iceclaw posted:

Is ordnance a viable idea now? I recall that back when I started playing, it was considered not good enough for its cost, has it changed ?

From Wave 8 release until recently, it was overwhelming. A specific ship was able to equip the perfect storm of upgrades and throw three highly accurate 4-die attacks on the first round of shooting.

And still have enough torpedoes to do it a second time. Few ships could survive the first salvo. Almost none could survive the second.

You can read up about the 'triple jumpmaster' lists in any number of places if you want to know more.

A FAQ change took out the lynchpin of that by making the Deadeye upgrade "small ship only."

Now, ordnance is merely an option, rather than definitive. You can spend 5-7 points and turn a mediocre offense into something terrifying for a short or two.

In a rough order of viability you have Homing Missiles, Proton Rockets, Plasma Torpedoes, and Proton Torpedoes. Pick one if you have the points left, add Extra Munitions if you have the slot, and always add Guidance Chips. You'll have at least one or two really good shots when it counts the most.

Bombs are also making a strong showing, thanks to Sabine crew for Rebels. K-Wing with a boatload of bombs can make short work of many things, all without firing a shot.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Zuckuss blew Echo away in one shot tonight. Came down to Drea and Kavil and I couldn't get them at the proper ranges for their turrets. Kavil died to a Direct Hit; if he hadn't, I would have been able to throw four dice fully modded at a one hull Whisper with a focus/evade.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I have a few questions about FenZukMan. Going to try to run Confused's list
https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f...:&sn=FenZuckman

1. How do you deal with stress since it seems it could be possible to stress out your whole side at a bad time? Do you never pull red maneuvers?

2. Do you use the tractor beam much during most matches?

3. What do you think is the"Oh poo poo" list you would prefer to not see across the table?

In other news I had a bunch of matches at my flgs the last couple of days and still I'm somehow undefeated. Ran Han/Jake for a few and Ryad/Ves/Omega Leader a couple of times. Even beat the current store champ a couple of times. He was so nice that he gave me a C-3PO I needed from his stack he won in tournaments. Everything is starting to click now and I am not making as many dumb mistakes as I did my first few matches. Well except for running Han intro obstacles way too much.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Raged posted:

I have a few questions about FenZukMan. Going to try to run Confused's list
https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f...:&sn=FenZuckman

1. How do you deal with stress since it seems it could be possible to stress out your whole side at a bad time? Do you never pull red maneuvers?

You have to fly differently against stress dealers like R3-A2 and Asajj. You don't want to race to range 1 and then be stuck behind them. Come in slow, accept a few blows, try to block with Manaroo to keep them in front of you for longer.

If you have to turn around, both Manaroo and Fenn have the greens and the repositioning to do it. Hell, Manaroo even has a white sloop. Zuckuss is slower, but he also just moves slower in general. You can generally hang back with him and snipe so he doesn't get behind people. A 1-Forward followed by a barrel roll back doesn't move all that much.

Stress isn't scary unless literally everyone ends up unable to take an action. If even one person gets an action, they all get focus (and someone gets double after Manaroo passes).

That said the only list I've lost to twice is Poe + Braylen with R3-A2 + Biggs. Both times because it's just really loving hard to kill Biggs before we must turn around, and then there's that drat REAR arc so he doesn't even have to K-Turn to keep the stress on.

Raged posted:

2. Do you use the tractor beam much during most matches?

I've used it once in over 30 games with the list. It was to throw Miranda onto a rock so she couldn't drop a connor net on me next turn. The title is there for the barrel roll icon. The beam is just gravy.

In theory I could see using it to throw TLT carriers onto rocks to stop them from shooting. Assuming I can't just erase that ship before it shoots.

Raged posted:

3. What do you think is the"Oh poo poo" list you would prefer to not see across the table?

I'm OK with both Palp Defenders and Dengaroo, but the Wave 7 Mynock Special (Palp, Whisper, Omega Leader) is a real pain in the rear end unless I can win initiative vs Whisper.

The list I least want to see is 4x TLT Y-Wings. Super Miranda + 2x TLT Y-Wings is also a real pain in the rear end. Basically TLTs suck.

I laugh at Hot-Shot Co-Pilot lists. I got focus for daaaaays.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Most focus you get is two on any single ship, MAAAAYBE three if the stars fully align. HotCoP/Gunner kills both of them and probably pushes some damage through too.

I do like all these variations of 3-ship mindlink that are around right now - Fenn/Manaroo/Something is a really nice build.

So I refuse to run it. I'm still practicing with Scyk Fangs and I'm really starting to make it jump.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

ConfusedUs posted:

He's actually the most versatile ship in the list. It's deceptive. He can do everything.

Offensively, he's rolling 4 highly accurate dice every shot. Five at range one. Fenn often blasts the tokens off a target, then Zuckuss finishes them off. And you don't have to get to range 1 for it to work.

He's a failsafe for focuses across the list. Even if everyone bumps, Advanced Sensors generates focus for everyone. (In fact, I deliberately bump ALL THE TIME to get better shots.)

Unlike Teroch, he can't be killed in one shot. I got away from Teroch because two squishy ships without Palpatine is bad. Plus he has the Evade action. It keeps him alive longer than most expect, especially in the endgame.

Advanced Sensors + Barrel Roll gets him into all sorts of unexpected locations. He's squirrely as gently caress. He can block, and he can arc dodge (especially if you have an intel agent on Manaroo).

Few people realize what he does for the list as a whole. Almost everyone I play goes for Fenn or Manaroo first, which makes me super happy.

That is interesting. Do you run a crew on Zuk, and how bare is your Manaroo?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

thespaceinvader posted:

Most focus you get is two on any single ship, MAAAAYBE three if the stars fully align. HotCoP/Gunner kills both of them and probably pushes some damage through too.

I do like all these variations of 3-ship mindlink that are around right now - Fenn/Manaroo/Something is a really nice build.

So I refuse to run it. I'm still practicing with Scyk Fangs and I'm really starting to make it jump.

Three is easy. Mindlink gets you one, take your own focus action, manaroo passes a third.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Daily broken home brew!

4 evade natural, astromech slot, 8 green manuvers. Plus, Ps9 pilot that gets two actions naturally without PTL, focus evade target lock and barrel roll.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
It's like the combination of an A-wing and TIE Interceptor (that always has Stealth Device), and Anakin has Vader's exact pilot ability for a very lot of points. 4 Greens is going to happen eventually; the only thing I can see there (besides hideously bad rules text syntax) is that the Astromech slot is going to be dumb and overpowered on something that fast.

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."
Plus, there's no dot next to the pilot names. So technically you can run multiple Anakin Skywalkers :v:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

It also can't take autothrusters.

That mech slot is unfortunate. R2D2 on that thing would be reaaaaaly strong.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

PtL, R2 Astromech, Stealth Device. Good luck hitting it and enjoy those green 1 turns.

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."
PtL, R2-F2, Stealth Device. +1 AGI, Focus, Evade. 6 green dice, 7 at range 3.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Slandible posted:

That is interesting. Do you run a crew on Zuk, and how bare is your Manaroo?

Check a few posts up. The list has been posted several times.

Tonight I'm gonna try intel agent, agromech, and tactical jammer on Manaroo. I think it might hit a sweet spot of boosting Zuck's defense and Fenn's offense.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

ConfusedUs posted:

Check a few posts up. The list has been posted several times.

Tonight I'm gonna try intel agent, agromech, and tactical jammer on Manaroo. I think it might hit a sweet spot of boosting Zuck's defense and Fenn's offense.

Ahh thanks. We'll I'm trying this tonight. Tried messing with Manaroo a bit, I'm usually glued to K4 on her, but giving your full list a shot.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

ConfusedUs posted:

It also can't take autothrusters.

That mech slot is unfortunate. R2D2 on that thing would be reaaaaaly strong.

Honestly, it would depend on the generic but R2D2 would have to come with shield upgrade to do anything.

I actually think the ship kinda sucks.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Tacopocalypse posted:

It is still a 2 attack dice ship. EDIT: that is 40 points, with no way besides range 1 to increase its damage.

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

Hey, I never said it was good.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Panzeh posted:

Honestly, it would depend on the generic but R2D2 would have to come with shield upgrade to do anything.

I actually think the ship kinda sucks.

D'oh. Did not think that

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Tacopocalypse posted:

Once more with feeling:

R2F2 is WORSE THAN A FOCUS ACTION. Or an Evade action, if you have both.

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

I must have hit a nerve.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

thespaceinvader posted:

Once more with feeling:

R2F2's value decreases the more dice you're already rolling. However it can be effective when mixed with another defensive action. That being said, it's super expensive to do that.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

thespaceinvader posted:

Once more with feeling:

I see you missed the part where PTL and Vader's ability meant he had all three?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Tacopocalypse posted:

Plus, there's no dot next to the pilot names. So technically you can run multiple Anakin Skywalkers :v:

Anakin Skywalker with his wingmen Aanakin Skywalker and Aanakin Skywaalker.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Strobe posted:

I see you missed the part where PTL and Vader's ability meant he had all three?

Honestly, I'd still probably not think it would be worth buying over any of half a dozen other droids. EVen if the action is available, it's still costing points and a slot, and adding a minimal benefit in exchange for a big penalty (stress, 3 points, and another slot which could be better used.

R2F2 is junk, like about 80% of the astromechs thus far published.

E: and honestly, that thing is probably not broken. It's a 2-die ship for 30+ points. So it can dodge like a squint and take focus/evade/TL every round. So what, it can still never land a single hit on a Defender. E: and TLTs still gently caress it over, as does any form of autodamage, as do big red spikes generally.

It's really not good.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Dec 30, 2016

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

thespaceinvader posted:

Honestly, I'd still probably not think it would be worth buying over any of half a dozen other droids. EVen if the action is available, it's still costing points and a slot, and adding a minimal benefit in exchange for a big penalty (stress, 3 points, and another slot which could be better used.

R2F2 is junk, like about 80% of the astromechs thus far published.

E: and honestly, that thing is probably not broken. It's a 2-die ship for 30+ points. So it can dodge like a squint and take focus/evade/TL every round. So what, it can still never land a single hit on a Defender.

It's practically untouchable 1on1, where it will win on time because of the expense.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

ConfusedUs posted:

It's practically untouchable 1on1, where it will win on time because of the expense.
Max cost is 43, but then you've spent half your list on a 2-die ship that tanks everything except defender counters.

Which is to say, in the current meta, basically nothing.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

I'm just getting into the game and looking to play Rebels, not competitively but for funnies and maybe at a store night or two where I don't completely embarrass myself. A friend gave me the rebel half of the 2 starters and a T-65 X, Y and B wing expansions. What should I look at picking up next to have the makings for a couple solid squads?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
Rebel aces, or one if the big ships. And the force awakens starter

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Rebel Aces, definitely.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Nah, Heroes of the Resistance.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

thespaceinvader posted:

Nah, Heroes of the Resistance.

This plus the TFA starter (which often can be had discounted 50% or more) is a great jumping on point.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Heroes would be a close second, but I'd still argue for getting Rebel Aces first, since it improves the A-Wing and (to a lesser extent) the B-Wing to such a great degree.

Basically, if you want to improve some of the ships you already have, get Aces. If you want to get great new ships, get Heroes.

Edit: On second look, I saw you don't actually have an A-Wing expansion and I misread your post. An A-Wing should definitely go near the top of the list, both because it's fun to fly and because one of the upgrade cards (Push the Limit) is so good.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Dec 31, 2016

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

B-Wings are bad enough right now that I wouldn't advise getting extra ones.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Right, don't have a A-Wing. I do have the rebel half of The Force Awakens starter, so I have the T-70. I was leaning toward Heroes to get a second T-70 and the Falcon but the Aces set would give me a second B and an A, and the E2 mod for the Bs. Sounds like either one would be good.

What about the U-Wing? Is it hot only because it's new, or is it actually a good ship?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

head58 posted:

Right, don't have a A-Wing. I do have the rebel half of The Force Awakens starter, so I have the T-70. I was leaning toward Heroes to get a second T-70 and the Falcon but the Aces set would give me a second B and an A, and the E2 mod for the Bs. Sounds like either one would be good.

What about the U-Wing? Is it hot only because it's new, or is it actually a good ship?

Seems likely to be pretty decent. Not been out long enough to tell.

• Locked thread